Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:57 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 pm Coaches get too much blame for defeats and too much credit for victories.
Unless they're the volunteer assistant, then they get all of the credit.

Have you done any thinking in hindsight about WHY the first two season's might have been a "hot mess"? Couldn't have had anything to do with the players he inherited, could it? Or what about Covid? I'm not a D1 coach but my guess is it's not ideal to have no fall ball, not meet your team in person for months and then have to practice only in small groups for a large part of your first season. I genuinely do not think you understand how much of a complete clusterf*ck that was for a new staff. It was always going to take a couple years to smooth things out no matter who was brought in.

As for recruiting, if half of those 4-stars pan out like Collison, we're going to win like, three straight titles. Collison is a special talent who's going to be a four-time All-American if he stays healthy. The more realistic goal/hope is to get one or two players like that per class. Bringing in a lot of so-called 4-stars gives you more chances and increases the odds of one or twthe price o emerging as actual stars. But even a team like UVA does not have a 50% hit rate on recruits becoming All-Americans.
I agree it was always going to be a hot mess no matter who. The price to paid. It was poorly managed from start to finish, covid, players not coming wtc etc.

I thought it would take four years but thought they would be greatly improved after seeing the portsl results and new recruiys. I did not expect a 5 showing new OC was a manor uograde fron the previous. The O looked orgsnized and much better prepared. Lots of contributors came together well.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Insta and twitter welcome posts up for Ierlan and Stoebner - still nothing on #s 26 and 40
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Which of the assistant coaching changes from our rivals over the past 2 years are actually going to matter in the quality better/worse of the opponent PM faces next spring?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:23 am Which of the assistant coaching changes from our rivals over the past 2 years are actually going to matter in the quality better/worse of the opponent PM faces next spring?
Well the Petro move to NC kind of leaps out here. Affects both SU and UNC.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:57 pm
As for recruiting, if half of those 4-stars pan out like Collison, we're going to win like, three straight titles. Collison is a special talent who's going to be a four-time All-American if he stays healthy. The more realistic goal/hope is to get one or two players like that per class. Bringing in a lot of so-called 4-stars gives you more chances and increases the odds of one or two emerging as actual stars. But even a team like UVA does not have a 50% hit rate on recruits becoming All-Americans.
I agree. You're basically looking for 2-3 guys to really pan out per class. 10 4-stars ups your odds. IL rankings have large error bars.
I did manage to catch three quarters of the HS All Star game last night. Chauvette was showing off his low-to-high rip in warm-ups.
They weren't passing the ball much in the game so it was hard to see what he could really do as a sniper, but he did have a nifty assist from up top. He didn't move much with the ball but he looked polished and had elite stick skills. He strikes me as someone you could run out of the box who could thrive in a team concept offense.

I did like Kilrain. He was very good at timing his slides. He also excelled at getting the ball off the ground and clearing under pressure.
Not sure there are many open slots on D next year but I do think he's D1 ready.

Would love to have seen Jimmy Ayers play. He could have potentially thrived in that game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chauvette goal #1: https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... 4570300416
Chauvette goal #2: https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... 9153329152
Another angle of #2: https://www.instagram.com/p/CvT99LsOssq/

All the usual caveats apply but one thing's for sure — the kid can shoot.

Sorichetti had a goal as well but didn't seem to play all that much. Kilrain stepped in the cage and made 2 saves while the south team's goalie was at the other end of the field trying (and failing) to score a goal. That tells you everything about what kind of game this is.

Bonus weekend highlight: Chuck Rawson getting into a nice little tilt in the OJLL playoffs. Burlington won which means it'll be Marquis and the Orangemen vs. Rawson, English and the Burlington Blaze in the next round. https://twitter.com/Hossey88/status/1685476605647310848
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Chauvette looked VG - he’s got that cannon shot and he showed good mobility, slipping past his defender,

a solid solid audition for that Degnon attack slot.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Philly Lacrosse has a box score for that Seniors all star game last night,

https://phillylacrosse.com/2023/lehman- ... rica-game/

_______
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:34 am Chauvette goal #1: https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... 4570300416

Sorichetti had a goal as well but didn't seem to play all that much. Kilrain stepped in the cage and made 2 saves while the south team's goalie was at the other end of the field trying (and failing) to score a goal. That tells you everything about what kind of game this is.

Bonus weekend highlight: Chuck Rawson getting into a nice little tilt in the OJLL playoffs. Burlington won which means it'll be Marquis and the Orangemen vs. Rawson, English and the Burlington Blaze in the next round. https://twitter.com/Hossey88/status/1685476605647310848
The videos are nice. You have Angelus, Melendez, maybe degnon, collison, peshko, grimes dog mcgoals, bauer, chauvette, evans, mcdermott, stuart phillips, english, koleton marquis ahead of them in experience on the roster. That's a lot of d1 goals, playing time, and chemistry with the staff. If they're able to break through all that to earn playing time-and given the comments I've made about many of those guys throughout their careers, I'm hoping they can, we're going to have something special. Hopefully all of those guys will be healthy, but even if one or two get banged up, that's still a lot of bodies for the young kids to try to get past.

School announced the hotel replacing what I think was the old pjs site where the social network movie was filmed will be a hotel opening this month. Really sucks Jerry moved on. That place was awesome.
https://www.thestudyatjohnshopkins.com/
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:34 am Chauvette goal #1: https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... 4570300416

That is vintage Chauvette. He isnt beating people with on the dodge, but his is just so efficient on his shot. There is no wasted movement. DPole relaxes after stopping the dodge and boom goal. I used to tell kids how fast the ball gets out of your stick, is more important than how fast the ball travels. That epitomizes Hunter. He reminds me of Ryan Brown in that ability. Both have that Dan Marino like release. While neither may hit 100 mph on the gun, both of their shots look a lot faster to a goalie, because the ball is getting out of there stick 1/2 second to second faster than normal players.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:44 am School announced the hotel replacing what I think was the old pjs site
Starting to question if you actually went to Hopkins. It would explain a lot. That's not where PJ's was.
coda wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:04 am That is vintage Chauvette. He isnt beating people with on the dodge, but his is just so efficient on his shot. There is no wasted movement. DPole relaxes after stopping the dodge and boom goal. I used to tell kids how fast the ball gets out of your stick, is more important than how fast the ball travels. That epitomizes Hunter. He reminds me of Ryan Brown in that ability. Both have that Dan Marino like release. While neither may hit 100 mph on the gun, both of their shots look a lot faster to a goalie, because the ball is getting out of there stick 1/2 second to second faster than normal players.
With a release like that you don't need to be able to dodge past anyone. Just have to be nimble enough to get your hands free and clearly he is. It does look rather Brown-like, but Brown was a cyborg who could do it near equally with both hands.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:26 am
jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:44 am School announced the hotel replacing what I think was the old pjs site
Starting to question if you actually went to Hopkins. It would explain a lot. That's not where PJ's was.
coda wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:04 am That is vintage Chauvette. He isnt beating people with on the dodge, but his is just so efficient on his shot. There is no wasted movement. DPole relaxes after stopping the dodge and boom goal. I used to tell kids how fast the ball gets out of your stick, is more important than how fast the ball travels. That epitomizes Hunter. He reminds me of Ryan Brown in that ability. Both have that Dan Marino like release. While neither may hit 100 mph on the gun, both of their shots look a lot faster to a goalie, because the ball is getting out of there stick 1/2 second to second faster than normal players.
With a release like that you don't need to be able to dodge past anyone. Just have to be nimble enough to get your hands free and clearly he is. It does look rather Brown-like, but Brown was a cyborg who could do it near equally with both hands.
Agree. He is not Brown, but who is? Brown could do it with both hands and levels (overhand, sidearm, and underhand). Used Brown since this is a Hopkins thread. Mac O'keefe is probably better. Both with that underhand lefty shot. Either way the release is ridiculous.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

coda wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:47 am
Agree. He is not Brown, but who is? Brown could do it with both hands and levels (overhand, sidearm, and underhand). Used Brown since this is a Hopkins thread. Mac O'keefe is probably better. Both with that underhand lefty shot. Either way the release is ridiculous.
Like Chauvette (ranked #21), Brown was also ranked in the 20s coming out of HS by IL, which is to say that their rankings have huge error bars and have to be taken with a grain of salt. Tucker Durkin was also ranked in the 20's.

Like Brown, Chauvette is clearly one of the players who could outperform his ranking. It all depends what he does over the next 4 years, but it's hard not to like his game right now. He impresses me as someone who needs to see the field next year in some capacity and not just on EMO.
Players that can actually bury the rock are invaluable.
coda

Post by coda »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 am
Like Chauvette (ranked #21), Brown was also ranked in the 20s coming out of HS by IL, which is to say that their rankings have huge error bars and have to be taken with a grain of salt. Tucker Durkin was also ranked in the 20's.

Like Brown, Chauvette is clearly one of the players who could outperform his ranking. It all depends what he does over the next 4 years, but it's hard not to like his game right now. He impresses me as someone who needs to see the field next year in some capacity and not just on EMO.
I get those rankings. Hard to put off-ball players in the top 10. They are much more reliant on those around them and the system. Hunter is a catch and shoot player. I would guess Chauvette's play time will be a function of what the offense needs. If you have dodging and passing in spades, he is easy to get into the line up. If you are struggling to win one on ones, it will be much tougher to get him involved.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

coda wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:37 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 am

I get those rankings. Hard to put off-ball players in the top 10. They are much more reliant on those around them and the system. Hunter is a catch and shoot player. I would guess Chauvette's play time will be a function of what the offense needs. If you have dodging and passing in spades, he is easy to get into the line up. If you are struggling to win one on ones, it will be much tougher to get him involved.
Agreed. But Hop has two attackmen in Angelus and Melendez who can carry the ball and dish, plus English, and Ayers(?) so a quick finisher could thrive in their offense next year. Against top competition you have to be able to score goals against elite goal tending. I think Hunter could do that.
coda

Post by coda »

Watched all his games the last 2 years. He has no issues shooting and beating Goalies. He was limited in games, where defenses dared LVille to beat them 1 on 1 (defensive game plan was to not slide). Melendez and Collison will always draw help, so that should not be an issue (if healthy)
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

O'Keefe is a good analogy. In addition to the quick release, what made O'Keefe special was off-ball awareness; he seemed to always find a soft spot in the D to get his shot off. If Chauvette develops that sense, look out.
coda

Post by coda »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:27 am
O'Keefe is a good analogy. In addition to the quick release, what made O'Keefe special was off-ball awareness; he seemed to always find a soft spot in the D to get his shot off. If Chauvette develops that sense, look out.
O'Keefe was ridiculous with a healthy Ament. 34 games with Ament he had 129 goals on 43% shooting (3.79 goals per game). 1.15 turnover per game. 32 games without him 92 goals and 36% shooting (2.88 goals per). 1.44 turnovers per game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The freshmen and sophomores you're touting here have to get through a thick logjam of veterans the staff has committed to over the course of multiple coordinators and seasons. Credit to me, I said last year the team would go as far as the jr offensive players would take them and they weren't memorial day good enough. These freshmen coming in and returning sophomores including collison have to now climb over the grimeses evanss mcdermotts of the world who now have the extra experience in the crawley system and the confidence from playing into mid may.
random observer

Post by random observer »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:27 am
I think O'Keefe was a better pure finisher with his soft hands and stick fakes, and he could create his own shot a little bit if need be. I don't think Chauvette can really dodge effectively at the next level, although I think he actually has a better outside shot than O'Keefe did.

Agree in general about shooter/finishers in regards to recruiting rankings. It's just not as rare/valuable a skillset as an alpha dodging attack man, as evidenced by O'Keefe's performance with and without a player the caliber of Ament feeding him. I actually think Chauvette may be a little over ranked, as I'd expect a top 25 recruit to be the kind of attack man who can transform an offense. Nonetheless, he is still an extremely high level recruit; you don't need or even want 6 alphas on offense. At the end of the day, as long as you have at least one elite trait of value, there is a useful role for you in the offense (it's the jack-of-all trades/master of none types that don't pan out as well as they ascend to higher level competition). And I can't think of many -- if any -- outside shooters in recent years who I'd put above Chauvette in that regard.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”