Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:56 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm You like asking questions that can't really be answered. The answer is - it depends - and changes from one families situation to the next. In general - one would think that being a Hopkins legacy to a dad that also played gets the player to respond to a coaches' e-mail/text/or call. IMO - never underestimate the power of the almighty dollar and the value of where your dad played is again a highly variable component in a young man's thinking. This fall there's a highly ranked legacy - one of the highest in recent memory. That will be a an interesting case. We did not get Ryan Tucker - dad was an AA and title winner - mom of course was Janine. We did not get the Morrill kid. I do not wish to resusitate the debate but I think it is fair to say that it was not a lead pipe lock the twins were coming if pops had continued coaching uninterrupted. So it depends
We did get Evans. Second generation but still a family legacy. You never know and lots of factors to consider especially with tuition and the job market what it is these days.
His dad played at Homewood too. It wasn't just Cowan.

Every kid is different. Some grow up dreaming of following in their parents' footsteps and have their hearts set on it from a young age. Some couldn't care less. E.g., Gait's kid went to Princeton. That's an opportunity nobody could have blamed him for taking no matter who his dad was. Hopefully Marcus wants to beat his dad's Hopkins saves record but when Lars Tiffany and John Danowski are in his ear on Sept. 1st, there's no guarantees.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

A lot of folks were wishing Joe and Ozzie would have at least one som but hot a don in law instead
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:27 am A lot of folks were wishing Joe and Ozzie would have at least one som but hot a don in law instead
ok, ocanada you are doing this on purpose at this point! amd im hear foe it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm You like asking questions that can't really be answered. The answer is - it depends - and changes from one families situation to the next. In general - one would think that being a Hopkins legacy to a dad that also played gets the player to respond to a coaches' e-mail/text/or call. IMO - never underestimate the power of the almighty dollar and the value of where your dad played is again a highly variable component in a young man's thinking. This fall there's a highly ranked legacy - one of the highest in recent memory. That will be a an interesting case. We did not get Ryan Tucker - dad was an AA and title winner - mom of course was Janine. We did not get the Morrill kid. I do not wish to resusitate the debate but I think it is fair to say that it was not a lead pipe lock the twins were coming if pops had continued coaching uninterrupted. So it depends
There is a very short number of programs who have this advantage of so many generations of parents with ties to a school as well as kids with ties to a schools region although I'm sure this will change moving forward. Like the rest of the big ten not located in college park doesn't have this. College Park, Cuse, Hopkins, Ivies have their own situations, UVA, the service academies.

Very nice stuff on beaudan who improved a lot and angelus from the organization this week. Lot of leadership and experience there.

Quint's been talking up the Marcus kid for awhile on the broadcasts.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:37 pm The twins would have been at Hopkins
So if you speculate in a definitive way it makes it true?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Actually what makes it true is that it is true, sorry you are outside looking in. I posted about this at the tine Dave was going to Cuse on the Cuse thread, I will save you the research.

BTW Dwan was going to Hopkins too but ended up at Cuse.

The twins were going to go to Cuse once Dave took the job there. . There was a rule problem at Cuse that made it an unfavorable move. An employee had to be there three years before their offspring would qualify for the employee tuition discount. UNC becomes a more favorable choice at that time. (There are substances that will improve memory)

Has Dom fully recovered from his injury? Will his twin develop as hoped? Will Dwan start on D at Cuse?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

One off:

If you want to schedule an appt with Milford Marchant his site advises he is booked six months out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:03 pm Actually what makes it true is that it is true, sorry you are outside looking in. I posted about this at the tine Dave was going to Cuse on the Cuse thread, I will save you the research.

The twins were going to go to Cuse once Dave took the job there. . There was a rule problem at Cuse that made it an unfavorable move. An employee had to be there three years before their offspring would qualify for the employee tuition discount. UNC becomes a more favorable choice at that time. (There are substances that will improve memory)

Has Dom fully recovered from his injury? Will his twin develop as hoped? Will Dwan start on D at Cuse?
Who cares
primitiveskills

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:03 pm Actually what makes it true is that it is true, sorry you are outside looking in. I posted about this at the tine Dave was going to Cuse on the Cuse thread, I will save you the research.

Right. Lovely of you to walk me through that. My reaction was simply to the definitiveness of your statement. Heck, I'm no "insider", but having been through the process as both a parent and HS coach, I will say that unless you are Dave or one of the twins (and I will assume for the sake of your mental health that you are not), what you have is a belief (perhaps well-founded, who knows, such is life on anonymous message boards). A preface of "I believe..." to your post would have been appropriate.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You know what they say about making assumptions. Proven true quite often. I know Dave and i know folks at Cuse. Clearly you do not. As i said you can look it up,
primitiveskills

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:29 pm You know what they say about making assumptions. Proven true quite often. I know Dave and i know folks at Cuse. Clearly you do not. As i said you can look it up,
Cool
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

We did get Evans. Second generation but still a family legacy. You never know and lots of factors to consider especially with tuition and the job market what it is these days.
And coming this year, Warry Colhoun, grandson with other daughter, Kelly...who played at UVA, won a NC.

Both dads are "Dan" and are both work for Joe at Cowans Systems.

Our property is contiguous to Joe's and touches Colhoun's, and Evans' is across the street from Colhoun's.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:57 pm
And coming this year, Warry Colhoun, grandson with other daughter, Kelly...who played at UVA, won a NC.

Both dads are "Dan" and are both work for Joe at Cowans Systems.

Our property is contiguous to Joe's and touches Colhoun's, and Evans' is across the street from Colhoun's.
Keep on truckin’!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

IL has 10 Hopkins recruits listed as four-stars:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ns/59/2023

When you consider that Collison was an IL four star recruit, this is sobering.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't recall seeing this already posted but the "official" welcome back instagram reel for Jaronski is up - as is a note Hopkins signed with 5starMediaGroup whatever that means - I am sure '06 is all over it.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 am IL has 10 Hopkins recruits listed as four-stars:

Why "sobering"? giving synonyms are serious/somber/far-reaching/grievous? If the point is - well Collison was a four star and he's pretty good then maybe we have a few pretty good players in the pipe - that seems more like an exciting/hopeful thing than a sobering thing. Plus - weren't you tearing Milliman a new one for his recruiting a while back? And before you whip the Crawley card out of your hand - the fall of this class' junrior year was 2021 - Crawley was hired in June of 2022. Though clearly Crawley could have played a role in Sorichetti and Chauvette but he did not recruit Ayers/Iler/Jewell/Hazard/Rawson etc.

ALso, once again I find these ratings and stars very haphazard and capricious. For example, take Zach Claiborne - a non star Hopkins recruit. Now I have never seen him play one second but someone at IL has and first "scored" him as an 86 (with really high marks for speed and agility) and then wrote the following:

"Athletic, 2-way midfielder who can do just about everything.
There is little doubt he has the potential to be a multiple year starter for a D1 program at SSDM, so the more interesting question is whether he can play offense. That potential makes him both a high floor and high ceiling prospect."

So someone you're projecting at worst to be a multiple year starter at one of the more important positions on the field is a no star? Sounds like a 3 or 4 star to me if you are staying with your ranking system.

But anybody reading this that says who cares - can't argue with you.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 am I don't recall seeing this already posted but the "official" welcome back instagram reel for Jaronski is up - as is a note Hopkins signed with 5starMediaGroup whatever that means - I am sure '06 is all over it.
Fivestar is owned/operated by a student at Lawrenceville. I believe he did some freelance graphics and video for us this season and I guess they're now formalizing the partnership. Talented kid. Going to Berkeley next year.

Neither a goodbye post nor a welcome back reel for Hawley/Degnon yet. The suspense.

Sorichetti/Chauvette/Kilrain at Homewood on ESPNU tomorrow night
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:31 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 am IL has 10 Hopkins recruits listed as four-stars:

Why "sobering"? giving synonyms are serious/somber/far-reaching/grievous? If the point is - well Collison was a four star and he's pretty good then maybe we have a few pretty good players in the pipe - that seems more like an exciting/hopeful thing than a sobering thing. Plus - weren't you tearing Milliman a new one for his recruiting a while back? And before you whip the Crawley card out of your hand - the fall of this class' junrior year was 2021 - Crawley was hired in June of 2022. Though clearly Crawley could have played a role in Sorichetti and Chauvette but he did not recruit Ayers/Iler/Jewell/Hazard/Rawson etc.
Indeed. Perhaps a better adjective would be "scary."
As in, if even half those four star recruits pan out the way Collison did, this team would be in pretty good shape moving forward.
I did think Milliman's first two seasons were a hot mess. Then Crawley and Kelly came aboard, the culture changed, and the team started to win.
If all PM does is stay in the background, recruit and bring in quality transfers, I can no longer fault him.
Coaches get too much blame for defeats and too much credit for victories. If he's found a sweet spot for himself with this program, more power to him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:31 am

Indeed. Perhaps a better adjective would be "scary."
As in, if even half those four star recruits pan out the way Collison did, this team would be in pretty good shape moving forward.
I did think Milliman's first two seasons were a hot mess. Then Crawley and Kelly came aboard, the culture changed, and the team started to win.
If all PM does is stay in the background, recruit and bring in quality transfers, I can no longer fault him.
Coaches get too much blame for defeats and too much credit for victories. If he's found a sweet spot for himself with this program, more power to him.
If Collisons getting rotated off so that Crawley and PM can show the world how smart they are because "we run 3 midfields and a position less offense" we are in deep you know what. Chauvette, Evans, Peshko, Grimes go down the list, have had their moments but they are not in his class to this point and if he's going to be the baller we think and hope he is that means his play is dictating he's on the field as much as his body can take.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 pm Coaches get too much blame for defeats and too much credit for victories.
Unless they're the volunteer assistant, then they get all of the credit.

Have you done any thinking in hindsight about WHY the first two season's might have been a "hot mess"? Couldn't have had anything to do with the players he inherited, could it? Or what about Covid? I'm not a D1 coach but my guess is it's not ideal to have no fall ball, not meet your team in person for months and then have to practice only in small groups for a large part of your first season. I genuinely do not think you understand how much of a complete clusterf*ck that was for a new staff. It was always going to take a couple years to smooth things out no matter who was brought in.

As for recruiting, if half of those 4-stars pan out like Collison, we're going to win like, three straight titles. Collison is a special talent who's going to be a four-time All-American if he stays healthy. The more realistic goal/hope is to get one or two players like that per class. Bringing in a lot of so-called 4-stars gives you more chances and increases the odds of one or two emerging as actual stars. But even a team like UVA does not have a 50% hit rate on recruits becoming All-Americans.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”