Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Grayhawk

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by Grayhawk »

Can anyone fill us in on what the playoffs will look like Or is it still too early? I have been away from the boys game for a couple years.

Who is the team to beat now?
Who is hot right now?
Who is trending up/down?
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Any predictions for the Madison at Oakton game tomorrow night?
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

Friday predictions:

Oakton-10 Madison-9
Robinson-10 Woodson-7
Dominion-9 Riverside-14
Freedom SR-9 Stone Bridge-8
Yorktown-8 South Lakes-9
John Champe-11 Broad Run-9
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Went to the Rob/Woodson game tonight. 7-6 Rams in a nail biter.

Rams had a bit of senior night-itis to start the game as after about 6 minutes it was 4-0 Woodson and I don't think the Rams had a touch yet. But Rams D settled in quickly and only allowed 2 rest of the way.

Woodson O is very methodical. They don't really have a player that can consistently beat their man 1-on-1 (although 34 had some chops) but they move the ball well and do a good job of trying to find the open man.

Rams are very dependant on Connolly/Swagerty (although those guys are really good) and they could use some scoring support from their middies. Middie Sands had a huge goal tonight to make it 7-5 and hopefully that's a good sign for him. Rams also used a pole on the faceoff for almost whole game. Worked OK tonight as #33 for Rob was very scrappy but against an accomplished FOGO that could be a problem.

One final observation - after watching college lax all year the shot clock really makes a difference in the pace of the game. I felt like tonight there were a lot of times when play was really dragging. I'm not sure if its right for the high school game because maybe the skills just arent there, but boy it makes the game more fun to watch.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

South Lakes humming on all cylinders, handles Yorktown 9-4, 7-2 at the half. Bennie Tignor had another great night in goal.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Albemarle (8-3) 14 Colonial Forge (10-2) 5
Cuseplayer1

Post by Cuseplayer1 »

Madison-8 Oakton-6
Chantilly-20 Centreville-8
Robinson-7 Woodson-6
Dominion-13 Riverside-11
Adriano

Post by Adriano »

That Dominion Riverside score surprised me. Any analysis?
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

New Rankings
1. Madison- Huge win over Oakton. Have to be the favorite to win it all.
2. Robinson- Narrowly edge out Westfield due to head to head W.
3. Westfield- Great week with good wins over Chantilly and Stone Bridge.
4. Oakton- Tough loss to Madison but they had been on fire beforehand. Can’t place them any higher due to losses to all 3 of the teams ahead of them.
5. Patriot- Have only lost one game to a 6A team and beat Madison. Also locked up the 1 seed in conference by beating Battlefield.
6. South County-These guys are hot after a tough start to the season and have notched some impressive wins.
7. South Lakes- Have rebounded nicely since getting walloped by Westfield. Good win over Chantilly.
8. Chantilly- Dropped a couple close games after the huge win over Robinson. Have certainly shown they can play with anyone in 6A.
9.Battlefield- Did beat Madison but no other wins of note.
10. Woodson- Their only 6A losses have come against the top 4, and they very well could have taken down Robinson.
Other Considerations- Yorktown, Langley, West Springfield
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

Jumboslax27 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:18 pm New Rankings
1. Madison- Huge win over Oakton. Have to be the favorite to win it all.
2. Robinson- Narrowly edge out Westfield due to head to head W.
3. Westfield- Great week with good wins over Chantilly and Stone Bridge.
4. Oakton- Tough loss to Madison but they had been on fire beforehand. Can’t place them any higher due to losses to all 3 of the teams ahead of them.
5. Patriot- Have only lost one game to a 6A team and beat Madison. Also locked up the 1 seed in conference by beating Battlefield.
6. South County-These guys are hot after a tough start to the season and have notched some impressive wins.
7. South Lakes- Have rebounded nicely since getting walloped by Westfield. Good win over Chantilly.
8. Chantilly- Dropped a couple close games after the huge win over Robinson. Have certainly shown they can play with anyone in 6A.
9.Battlefield- Did beat Madison but no other wins of note.
10. Woodson- Their only 6A losses have come against the top 4, and they very well could have taken down Robinson.
Other Considerations- Yorktown, Langley, West Springfield
👏👏👏 I would say this is pretty spot on. Going to be an interesting post season. Good luck to all!
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

Agree with rankings for the most part, but you gotta drop Robo behind Mad/West/Oak. Also SL beat SC head to head so should be above them
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Shout out to South County 2015 Bryce Nalls who was all over ESPNU this morning for Quinnipiac in their tough MAAC final loss to Marist. Nice hearing a NoVa player's name on TV and he played great in an exciting, back and forth game.

Also shout out to Robinson 2015 attackman Chris White. Mary Washington bounced out of the CAC playoffs quickly but Chris' 51 goals broke the school's single season goal scoring record
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

ReLax! wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 pm Agree with rankings for the most part, but you gotta drop Robo behind Mad/West/Oak. Also SL beat SC head to head so should be above them
Robo beat Westfield and Oakton so it’s tough for me for me not to put them ahead of both. I will say that Westfield was very close and has a decent claim to be #2, but Oakton just hasn’t done enough to warrant being placed above Robo. Also SoCo has wins over Chantilly, Battlefield, West Springfield(who South Lakes lost to) and Robinson, while South Lakes quality wins are SoCo, Langley and Chantilly. So despite the head to head loss I think SoCo’s resume is slightly better.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Any resource site with the district brackets or can anyone post? Districts begin this Wednesday I heard.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:31 pm Any resource site with the district brackets or can anyone post? Districts begin this Wednesday I heard.
How about these stellar district playoff matchups. Thankfully Champe is moving in next year to lend that district some credibility for lacrosse.

Patriot vs Osbourne Park

Battlefield vs Stonewall

This whole league comes down to one game a year in the regular season; Patriot vs Battlefield. They take the regular season title winner and give them the 1 seed for the regionals. The entire focus for Patriot is the Battlefield game, due to the fact nobody else in that district will beat them. There's not one other game on their schedule that really matters to the staff. If you want to build a true championship caliber program, you put an emphasis on winning as a whole, not just the one matchup. Telling your team, after a loss, that the game really doesn't matter because it's not "Battlefield", is doing a huge disservice to the kids who truly want to beat every opponent on their schedule.
Last edited by MyLongStick on Mon May 06, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

MyLongStick wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:34 am
SpinalTap14 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:31 pm Any resource site with the district brackets or can anyone post? Districts begin this Wednesday I heard.
How about these stellar district playoff matchups. Thankfully Champe is moving in next year to lend that district some credibility for lacrosse.

Patriot vs Osbourne Park

Battlefield vs Stonewall

This whole league comes down to one game a year in the regular season; Patriot vs Battlefield. They take the regular season title winner and give them the 1 seed for the regionals. The entire focus for Patriot is the Battlefield game, due to the fact nobody else in that district will beat them. There's not one other game on their schedule that really matters to the staff. If you want to build a true championship caliber program, you put an emphasis on winning as a whole, not just the one matchup. Telling your team, after a loss, that the game really doesn't matter because it's not "Battlefield", is dong a huge disservice to the kids who truly want to beat every opponent on their schedule.
So I guess playing Madison, Oakton, Freedom, BW, Riverside, and South County are meaningless to the coaches and used to pad the schedule :?:
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:11 am

Patriot vs Osbourne Park

Battlefield vs Stonewall

This whole league comes down to one game a year in the regular season; Patriot vs Battlefield. They take the regular season title winner and give them the 1 seed for the regionals. The entire focus for Patriot is the Battlefield game, due to the fact nobody else in that district will beat them. There's not one other game on their schedule that really matters to the staff. If you want to build a true championship caliber program, you put an emphasis on winning as a whole, not just the one matchup. Telling your team, after a loss, that the game really doesn't matter because it's not "Battlefield", is dong a huge disservice to the kids who truly want to beat every opponent on their schedule.
So I guess playing Madison, Oakton, Freedom, BW, Riverside, and South County are meaningless to the coaches and used to pad the schedule :?:
You would need to clarify with them, but based off of what is relayed to the kids, yes those games are meaningless. Not sure why you use "pad the schedule" since this isn't the NCAA and there's no selection show.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

MyLongStick wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Patriot vs Osbourne Park

Battlefield vs Stonewall

You would need to clarify with them, but based off of what is relayed to the kids, yes those games are meaningless. Not sure why you use "pad the schedule" since this isn't the NCAA and there's no selection show.
"pad" the schedule as in add cupcake teams to get W's to make the parents happy! Clearly that is not what this team did. I was not in the post game huddle so I will guess that the coach's did not rip the kids apart for the loss to BW? Shame on them. I guess they will have to take it out on OP. Battlefield should be the favorite over the school who's alma matter includes the best public HS player in VA's history.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Patriot vs Osbourne Park

Battlefield vs Stonewall

"pad" the schedule as in add cupcake teams to get W's to make the parents happy! Clearly that is not what this team did. I was not in the post game huddle so I will guess that the coach's did not rip the kids apart for the loss to BW? Shame on them. I guess they will have to take it out on OP. Battlefield should be the favorite over the school who's alma matter includes the best public HS player in VA's history.
The coaches must be ecstatic to see their hard work come to fruition in tough District play. The Osbourne and SWJ performances were championship caliber. Hopefully they can keep it up against OP. That's where it's at. I'm with you, let the losses and bad play go un-addressed and get ready for the next quality opponent in the murderers row of district play. After the game snacks might be in order too.
Raiderlax2K

Post by Raiderlax2K »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Patriot vs Osbourne Park

Battlefield vs Stonewall

Didn’t Battlefield barely hang on to win against Stonewall? Should be a good rematch

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”