Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:38 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:12 am
coda wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:07 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:28 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:21 pm
2. Incidence of ACL tears and other major lower-body injuries has increased since then. More season-ending injuries, more players needed.
Blows me away that this is true.
https://www.uclahealth.org/news/acl-tea ... 0increases.
over worked.
Might be the other way. This is teen and preteen. Does not explain College lacrosse rosters exploding. Interesting soccer is emphasized and girls are twice as likely likely to injure an ACL.
ohhh, I wasn't suggesting that injuries are what is causing/justifying swollen rosters. Just that a big driver of the injuries is over work, lots more reps overall, more stress on growing bodies.

I do understand why, for competitive reasons, rosters 40-45 make sense over 30-35, but I don't see the return on 50+, 60+
Most the ACC is carrying 50+ players. (Duke 51 on the official roster, UVA - 49, and Cuse 53, ND 58, UNC - 60)

I was suggesting that the reason more youth athletes are tearing their ACLs is due to more sedentary lifestyles and specialization compared to 20-30 years ago. Mobility and muscle development (proper) can greatly reduce injuries. Free play that used to be so common, does not happen as much. That used to stress the body in multiple ways and directions. Lot of kids are sitting around the house and just hitting a single sport, that may not give the variety of different stresses on the body to develop a well rounded body. I do not think kids are more active today compared to the 70s/80s, when many kids grew up coming home from school and went outside until the street lights went on. That is just my theory on the matter
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ing-crisis

saw this awhile back from in the uk. 29x!!! they theorize fewer different sports, more sedentary. then jump into their sport/practice/game. and a lack of proper stretching.

injuries may add a player or 2, but the 50%+ jump in some places is just a product of demand, and then increased competitiveness and support allowing it to happen. managing 55-60 guys sounds like a situation you don't really want to be in, but some coaches are ok with the tradeoff.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:34 am I intended to reference the demographics if high school enrollment in general that would result in fewer players. Sorry for the confusion.
This has been tossed around here somehwere before but lays out participation trends

https://projectplay.org/youth-sports/fa ... tion-rates

% of 6 - 12yr olds playing lacrosse in 2008 - 0.4%
2019 - 1.0%

Approx 200M kids played in 2021 in that cohort in raw number in the US
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The state i was referencing was NY specifically CNY and LI. As i said it was an anecdotal data point.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:15 am The state i was referencing was NY specifically CNY and LI. As i said it was an anecdotal data point.
Got it. Found that info interesting before so sharing again.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Write up on Toronto 1st round OJLL,

https://www.ontariojuniorlacrosse.com/n ... -away-buzz

the home side exploded for a 6-0 lead after the first period. Willem Firth and Matt Collison combined for nine points in the opening frame

it will be the Toronto Beaches who draw the undefeated Orangeville Northmen in the second round
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:52 pm This will slow the game down.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... view/61867
Replay won't be the issue for this forum, it will be certain famed tv broadcasters who may or may not have graduated from Hopkins getting lots of extra airtime to kill and give opinions.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Somewhat interesting to me that they have not posted a goodbye to Jack Hawley. It's been two weeks since the last one. Anyone know anything?

If he wanted another year his case would be more straightforward than Degnon's, given he missed all of '21 with an injury.

Senior All-America roster is out. Sorichetti on the North team, Kilrain and Chauvette on the South. 8pm on 7/29 on ESPNU from Homewood. Still a travesty that Ayers wasn't selected but what can ya do.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:43 pm Somewhat interesting to me that they have not posted a goodbye to Jack Hawley. It's been two weeks since the last one. Anyone know anything?

If he wanted another year his case would be more straightforward than Degnon's, given he missed all of '21 with an injury.

Senior All-America roster is out. Sorichetti on the North team, Kilrain and Chauvette on the South. 8pm on 7/29 on ESPNU from Homewood. Still a travesty that Ayers wasn't selected but what can ya do.
Thanks for the update, HF16.

Has anyone here done a quick writeup on all the incoming frosh? Ya know … a couple of sentences on each freshman?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sure let me get right on that
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:23 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:43 pm Somewhat interesting to me that they have not posted a goodbye to Jack Hawley. It's been two weeks since the last one. Anyone know anything?

Has anyone here done a quick writeup on all the incoming frosh? Ya know … a couple of sentences on each freshman?

DocBarrister
Hf16 covered that I think and he's also posted about them all spring when they had games and then links when they were live in summer stuff. When Xanders Jast and Arrestia get done arguing about "the appropriateness of dropping coaching change scoops before coaches have had the time to meet with their former players" maybe they'll get on that too. FWIW I'm team Jast.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:28 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:23 pm

DocBarrister
Hf16 covered that I think and he's also posted about them all spring when they had games and then links when they were live in summer stuff. When Xanders Jast and Arrestia get done arguing about "the appropriateness of dropping coaching change scoops before coaches have had the time to meet with their former players" maybe they'll get on that too. FWIW I'm team Jast.
ty just thinks all the scoops should be his. he didn't mind jumping in to #gaitgate. not a coincidence when *anyone* said "that's gotta be his last tweet of the nite... right?" that he shut it down.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'16 does a great job providing information but even he can't follow or see 17 recruits from across the country. If you want to read little blurbs about recruits - IL is your best source like it or not - it's pretty easy
Go to IL - click the circle in the top left
Click Boys Recruiting
Click Commitments
Scroll down to Hopkins
Click on a kid's name
Click on Analysis
If someone from IL has reviewed that kid you will often find this out of 5 point scoring chart on different attributes and a blurb at the bottom - the blurb will be copied from the original write-up done at the (usually) camp circuit site where the kid played. If the kid is ranked with stars there is a much better chance that was done. It's not foolproof - e.g. there is no analysis posted on Chauvette or Sorichetti
They also have an Evaluation page which has the players they have done analysis for but if you are just interested in one college team I find the Commitment page less cumbersome

Otherwise it's search engine one-offs and you-tube highlight videos if you are so inclined.

For those who like that sort of thing - Tristan Jewell made the Adrenaline All Star Game which concentrates on players from the West.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Barring injuries, we don't have a ton of holes to fill, it's a pretty complete team, so the playing time for freshmen might be limited. The guys you should keep an eye on have already been discussed here. One or both of Sorichetti and Chauvette could see time at attack right away. Then there's a stable of talented middies who could play their way into the mix: Iler, Jewell, Rawson and then maybe you throw Ayers in there since it'll be tough for him to get on the field as an attackman this year. Kilrain as a lefty defenseman has a shot to see time early given he's the only lefty other than Brown. Think you will see one of them start down low with Smith and Szuluk while the other gets runs at LSM alongside Deans and Kaufman. All of those guys are pretty interchangeable.

Outside of that I think it's anyone's guess. There will probably be somebody no one is talking about now who emerges as a contributor. I don't think there was much talk of Brown prior to the spring and he ended up being a revelation. Colhoun and Claiborne look like possible SSDM/two-way candidates down the road. But in general I think it'll be similar to '23. One or two studs who are starters/major contributors and then another one or two who factor in as role players. There will be more opportunities the following season after the giant rising senior class graduates.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:36 am Barring injuries, we don't have a ton of holes to fill, it's a pretty complete team, so the playing time for freshmen might be limited. The guys you should keep an eye on have already been discussed here. One or both of Sorichetti and Chauvette could see time at attack right away. Then there's a stable of talented middies who could play their way into the mix: Iler, Jewell, Rawson and then maybe you throw Ayers in there since it'll be tough for him to get on the field as an attackman this year. Kilrain as a lefty defenseman has a shot to see time early given he's the only lefty other than Brown. Think you will see one of them start down low with Smith and Szuluk while the other gets runs at LSM alongside Deans and Kaufman. All of those guys are pretty interchangeable.
Last year we had two freshmen contribute on offense, so there's a decent chance the two freshmen (Chauvette and Sorichetti) can grab a spot this year as well. If Degnon doesn't return, Collison to attack is too good to pass up. He's an emerging star and he needs to stay on the field as much as possible. An attack of Melendez, Angeles and Collison would pose match-up problems.
Then I would see the midfield lines as:

1) Peshko, Grimes and Hunter Chauvette
2) McDermott, English and Sorichetti
3) Cam Chauvette, Evans, and Ayers, Marquis, Bauer, Phillips etc.

I'm intrigued by Jacob Stoebner. He's 6'3" and apparently he shut down Yale’s Leo Johnson when he got a chance to start. He may have been caught in a numbers game at Princeton. He strikes me as someone with a good pedigree who could emerge into a force with the right opportunities and coaching.
coda

Post by coda »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:18 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:36 am Barring injuries, we don't have a ton of holes to fill, it's a pretty complete team, so the playing time for freshmen might be limited. The guys you should keep an eye on have already been discussed here. One or both of Sorichetti and Chauvette could see time at attack right away. Then there's a stable of talented middies who could play their way into the mix: Iler, Jewell, Rawson and then maybe you throw Ayers in there since it'll be tough for him to get on the field as an attackman this year. Kilrain as a lefty defenseman has a shot to see time early given he's the only lefty other than Brown. Think you will see one of them start down low with Smith and Szuluk while the other gets runs at LSM alongside Deans and Kaufman. All of those guys are pretty interchangeable.
Last year we had two freshmen contribute on offense, so there's a decent chance the two freshmen (Chauvette and Sorichetti) can grab a spot this year as well. If Degnon doesn't return, Collison to attack is too good to pass up. He's an emerging star and he needs to stay on the field as much as possible. An attack of Melendez, Angeles and Collison would pose match-up problems.

I'm intrigued by Jacob Stoebner. He's 6'3" and apparently he shut down Yale’s Leo Johnson when he got a chance to start. He may have been caught in a numbers game at Princeton. He strikes me as someone with a good pedigree who could emerge into a force with the right opportunities and coaching.
Not sure Hunter can play middie. He is a pure shooter. Insanely quick release. He doesn’t offer much as a dodger (take advantage of bad approaches, but that is about it). One of his nicknames is “Apple King”. Apple being slag for assist. That is meant sarcastically. Perhaps he can grow into it, but middie is a tough fit. Could easily see him on man up early
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

coda wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:09 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:18 pm

Not sure Hunter can play middie. He is a pure shooter. Insanely quick release. He doesn’t offer much as a dodger (take advantage of bad approaches, but that is about it). One of his nicknames is “Apple King”. Apple being slag for assist. That is meant sarcastically. Perhaps he can grow into it, but middie is a tough fit. Could easily see him on man up early
Could see at a bare minimum Chauvette entering into the Pat Frazer role
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'16 is spot on - you have an NCAA quarterfinalist - returning almost everybody on offense - still trying to get Degnon I guess - so - especially to '06's chagrin - it will be interesting and difficult for freshmen to see the field in '24 on offense - especially if they feel invested in Marquis and he "makes a leap". Again math is math - 10 -11 guys will play on offense in a competitive game. I can give you 6-7 and not touch Marquis/Evans/McDermott/Phillips/Bauer/C. Chauvette. Best case scenario for freshmen on offense IMO - the request on Degnon is refused and H. Chauvette/Sorichetti show enough to win the job. I agree with fla - H. Chauvette is not a middie - some guys are just shooters. Aside from being a potential weapon on EMO he carries virtually no similariies to Fraser - Fraser was big 6'2 at least and my guess would be pretty close probably over 200 lbs and for the first 3 years 26 of his 32 goals were man-up. He basically shot from up top and there was little subtlety - 12-15 yds out - here it comes - try to catch up. Chauvette will be a better shooter - Fraser left with 48 goals - one might hope you see that in a season from Chauvette someday. He picks corners with a lethal quick release. As a middie - H. Chauvette would draw a short stick - they tend not to slide as much already being the ones picked on by the offense. Chauvette types benefits from a Melendez dodge - a slide - a pass - decent chance it's by the goalie. The Iler/Jewell/Rawson types just don't have the familiarity with the system. Hopkins would benefit - IMO - from a lopsided win or two so players like those middies and especially Ayers remain as engaged as possible.

Maybe the one piece where I might disagree with some are with respect to Collison. I am fine with him remaning the force he is on mid-field. I don't recall anybody suggesting from '05-08 that Rabil play attack. He can still score attack like goals as much as he wants. If he is absolutely without question the best replacement for Degnon - fine.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:55 pm Maybe the one piece where I might disagree with some are with respect to Collison. I am fine with him remaning the force he is on mid-field. I don't recall anybody suggesting from '05-08 that Rabil play attack. He can still score attack like goals as much as he wants. If he is absolutely without question the best replacement for Degnon - fine.
Just to play devil's advocate — the thinking has changed to some extent over the last 15-20 years. If Rabil were playing college today someone very likely would suggest that he never leave the field.

For the record I'm fine with keeping Collison at midfield. But there were times this season when we wouldn't see him out there for a shift or two and I'd think to myself, this kid needs to be out there more. Again, you don't want the Sam Handley "let's waste 30 seconds of shot clock getting him on the field before we can run the offense" every time but I do think they should make it a priority to have Collison involved in more possessions in '24 than he was in '23.

Re: H. Chauvette as a middie. No he is not going to blow by you with speed or strength but not every middie needs to and in today's game I see no reason why he can't run out of the box for some reps provided he's out there alongside some more traditional "midfielders." If his older brother could do it (we probably lose the St. Joe's game without him, BTW) then he can too. I feel like we're so scarred from the years of the "munchkin middies" when entire lines were comprised of converted attackmen that there may be some overcorrection going on. It's fine to throw an attackman or two onto your midfield if you're smart about how you do it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”