W&L 2023 Recruits

D3 Mens Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

Re: W&L 2023 Recruits

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:27 pm One thing that I am noticing is that suddenly W&L is in a horse race with schools like Dartmouth, Richmond, Tufts, Amherst, and Bowdoin. And those are just the prospects who haven’t already committed to Washington and Lee. Same thing is happening with men’s soccer. Both programs on the rise, as W&L soccer made the national semi finals year before last. They picked up 16 high level commits in the last two years. I think that lax may be headed in the same direction.

It didn’t hurt that they won 18 games last season, lost to #1 Salisbury by just 3, and ended up number 8 in the nation. I think that both the women’s and the men’s lax and soccer teams have a little friendly “success completion” going, which is great to see and can only help.
HMM, I would not really include Richmond in this list and not really sure about Dartmouth but I know a few Richmond players and very recent commits, none had even considered W&L and they were all looking at either ACC, B1G schools or Patriot League. Also the local Virginia players who went to NESCAC schools also did not have W&L on the list.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:35 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:27 pm One thing that I am noticing is that suddenly W&L is in a horse race with schools like Dartmouth, Richmond, Tufts, Amherst, and Bowdoin. And those are just the prospects who haven’t already committed to Washington and Lee. Same thing is happening with men’s soccer. Both programs on the rise, as W&L soccer made the national semi finals year before last. They picked up 16 high level commits in the last two years. I think that lax may be headed in the same direction.

It didn’t hurt that they won 18 games last season, lost to #1 Salisbury by just 3, and ended up number 8 in the nation. I think that both the women’s and the men’s lax and soccer teams have a little friendly “success completion” going, which is great to see and can only help.
HMM, I would not really include Richmond in this list and not really sure about Dartmouth but I know a few Richmond players and very recent commits, none had even considered W&L and they were all looking at either ACC, B1G schools or Patriot League. Also the local Virginia players who went to NESCAC schools also did not have W&L on the list.
If you are from Virginia why go NESCAC. Better alumni network at W&L especially if interested in finance. Friends , family can readily see your games. You actually get to play in spring weather. If you go NESCAC you are going to love traveling for those mid week games. The conference has some of the longest bus rides of any lax conference and certainly when compared to the ODAC.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

I think ‘75 was referring to the IL Commitments list which shows which kids are considering W&L. Quite a few of those kids also list Ivies and other D1 programs, as well as NESCAC schools.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Take a quick look at interested players for W&L 2024. That is where I noticed some of these schools in competition with W&L. I think some of the same schools were on the 2023 list of “schools considered” on the page for commits to W&L. I’m just saying that it is the first time that I have seen so many with W&L coming out on top or even when it came to interest. And, yes, Dartmouth was close or even in interest to W&L for several players, while Richmond was a little ahead, behind, or even on a couple of players interested in W&L.

W&L did lose one to Gettysburg, one to Mercer, and one to Towson. I am sure that some don’t apply to W&L if they are unsure if they’ll be accepted, while others see D1 as the way to go for the scholarships, level of play or even their major. And, of course, as with any school one prospect’s “dream school” is not even on the radar of interest for another for any number of reasons. Some kids want urban settings, and others love the rural route.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

And, yes as Bart said, I was referring to Inside Lacrosse documentation for commits and interested players.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

I agree with you, W&Lacrosse75, the Gennies are going in the right direction.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:42 pm Take a quick look at interested players for W&L 2024. That is where I noticed some of these schools in competition with W&L. I think some of the same schools were on the 2023 list of “schools considered” on the page for commits to W&L. I’m just saying that it is the first time that I have seen so many with W&L coming out on top or even when it came to interest. And, yes, Dartmouth was close or even in interest to W&L for several players, while Richmond was a little ahead, behind, or even on a couple of players interested in W&L.

W&L did lose one to Gettysburg, one to Mercer, and one to Towson. I am sure that some don’t apply to W&L if they are unsure if they’ll be accepted, while others see D1 as the way to go for the scholarships, level of play or even their major. And, of course, as with any school one prospect’s “dream school” is not even on the radar of interest for another for any number of reasons. Some kids want urban settings, and others love the rural route.
That interest thing on IL is not at all an indication of who’s recruiting the player. It can be, but it’s kids just put things on there. There are plenty of kids that haven’t even heard from many or any schools on their “schools considered” list. I would put little to no stock in that.

I can assure you W&L did not lose a recruit to Gettysburg. What’s more likely, if he was even being recruited be W&L is that he wasn’t admissible.

W&Ls recruiting profile has been raised considerably since Mendoza joined the staff. He has helped tremendously with the recruiting boost, and gotten them into the mix for kids they don’t usually get. He is a part of Tambroni and Job Thompson’s coaching tree and had a strong reputation as top tier recruiter prior to getting to W&L. The young man from Gilman turned down several patriot league suitors including Loyola and Richmond. With the recent announcement of Beville’s retirement he’ll likely get some consideration for the Cortland head coaching gig as he’s an alum - that would be a major blow to the momentum W&L has.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Richmond has only had 1 commit in the last 7 months and he’s Canadian (likely heavy scholarship then). The rest were all fall of their junior year. So I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about with “very recent commits”. They are recruiting at a high level and get significant interest from the majority of NOVA, and DMV lacrosse players with high academic profiles. There are also a large number of players that want nothing to do with Greek life… you do the math there.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I would agree that it would be a blow. One thing W&L has done recently has been to attract great coaches that they can’t seem to keep in Lexington.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:20 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:42 pm Take a quick look at interested players for W&L 2024. That is where I noticed some of these schools in competition with W&L. I think some of the same schools were on the 2023 list of “schools considered” on the page for commits to W&L. I’m just saying that it is the first time that I have seen so many with W&L coming out on top or even when it came to interest. And, yes, Dartmouth was close or even in interest to W&L for several players, while Richmond was a little ahead, behind, or even on a couple of players interested in W&L.

That interest thing on IL is not at all an indication of who’s recruiting the player. It can be, but it’s kids just put things on there. There are plenty of kids that haven’t even heard from many or any schools on their “schools considered” list. I would put little to no stock in that.

I can assure you W&L did not lose a recruit to Gettysburg. What’s more likely, if he was even being recruited be W&L is that he wasn’t admissible.

W&Ls recruiting profile has been raised considerably since Mendoza joined the staff. He has helped tremendously with the recruiting boost, and gotten them into the mix for kids they don’t usually get. He is a part of Tambroni and Job Thompson’s coaching tree and had a strong reputation as top tier recruiter prior to getting to W&L. The young man from Gilman turned down several patriot league suitors including Loyola and Richmond. With the recent announcement of Beville’s retirement he’ll likely get some consideration for the Cortland head coaching gig as he’s an alum - that would be a major blow to the momentum W&L has.
Insider, I need to hook you up with the "Mayor of W&L", you guys would have great conversations.

valaxfan
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

I love the W&L posters thinking that a recruit turned down top d1 to go to w&l without him being a legacy of some type. The "other schools interested" listed on inside lacrosse means nothing. You realize the player and/or parent has to submit that info to Inside lacrosse. I can go in there and submit "Marion barry, committed w&l, interested harvard, duke, uva"
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

MarionBarry wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:11 am I love the W&L posters thinking that a recruit turned down top d1 to go to w&l without him being a legacy of some type. The "other schools interested" listed on inside lacrosse means nothing. You realize the player and/or parent has to submit that info to Inside lacrosse. I can go in there and submit "Marion barry, committed w&l, interested harvard, duke, uva"
Hey former DC mayor, you need to keep with DC politics, and stop lumping all of us Generals posters into one pot, not true.

valaxfan
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

I’m pretty sure W&L has been getting top talent for a very long time. I’m sure the young man is a fine coach but you act like he is the sole reason for this so called “improved” recruiting. To me it is an insult to the other coaches who have worked at W&L. The Generals have been the premier southern high academic university and a destination for some of the best players for a very long time. Anyone who has worked in d3 will tell you the lack of talent(or recruiting it) has never been an issue at W&L
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:29 pm

Richmond has only had 1 commit in the last 7 months and he’s Canadian (likely heavy scholarship then). The rest were all fall of their junior year. So I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about with “very recent commits”. They are recruiting at a high level and get significant interest from the majority of NOVA, and DMV lacrosse players with high academic profiles. There are also a large number of players that want nothing to do with Greek life… you do the math there.
You are very correct that I often am not sure what I am talking about. That is true. I should have been more clear. I was referring to class of 2023 recruits. Very recent is relative as in not form 10 years ago. I think the landscape is always changing. I do coach youth and some HS lacrosse in NOVA and I am a fan of the W&L program. I went to a lacrosse camp there in HS. I wanted my son to look at it. Just for point of reference, I am very familiar with the players on the top HS program and club program in VA and none of them had W&L on a list or have committed to the school. A few I know did and did commit to Richmond and a few NESCAC schools which surprised me a bit. I am also interested in how few stay in state in general from VA. I am not an expert on all kids but I have been pretty familiar with the class of 2023 in NOVA. Good to see a few more DMV kids in the class of 2024 who are looking at W&L but I would not say that a "majority" of NOVA kids with high academic profiles are showing significant interest in W&L also not a ton to Richmond either. This is not so much dumping on the program but an area of opportunity. I have no clue about the "math" concerning greek life? Most HS kids that I know don't even consider that as they are not really sure what it is. I would be interested in your explanation of how that factors into a lacrosse recruiting decision.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

valaxfan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:09 pm

Insider, I need to hook you up with the "Mayor of W&L", you guys would have great conversations.

valaxfan
Well Gettysburg is 16-11 vs W&L since 1987 so I think they are doing just fine against the Harvard of the South. W&L is a fantastic university but to say a lacrosse recruit would not chose Gettysburg over W&L is a pretty big statement.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer...looking forward to fall ball!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxdds wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:33 am

valaxfan
Well Gettysburg is 16-11 vs W&L since 1987 so I think they are doing just fine against the Harvard of the South. W&L is a fantastic university but to say a lacrosse recruit would not chose Gettysburg over W&L is a pretty big statement.

Gettysburg, Dickinson, F&M and Denison are completely filled with guys that wanted places like W&L, Middlebury, Amherst, and Williams, but they were inadmissible. The are is a significantly larger talent pool of guys that can get into those schools than who can get into top 10 ranked academic colleges. Every year there are dozens of kids that W&L and top NESCACs have to tell no that are exceptional lacrosse players, because they cannot support the academic profile. Trust me nobody is sitting on an offer from W&L, Middlebury and Gettysburg; and choosing Gettysburg.

I don’t think many realize how good of a student you need to be in order to attend a top NESCAC or W&L. I’m certain there are many terrific players that coaches would love to have in their program but the reality is GPAs below a 95 and 3.9uw start to be in deny range.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:58 am

valaxfan

Gettysburg, Dickinson, F&M and Denison are completely filled with guys that wanted places like W&L, Middlebury, Amherst, and Williams, but they were inadmissible. The are is a significantly larger talent pool of guys that can get into those schools than who can get into top 10 ranked academic colleges. Every year there are dozens of kids that W&L and top NESCACs have to tell no that are exceptional lacrosse players, because they cannot support the academic profile. Trust me nobody is sitting on an offer from W&L, Middlebury and Gettysburg; and choosing Gettysburg.

I don’t think many realize how good of a student you need to be in order to attend a top NESCAC or W&L. I’m certain there are many terrific players that coaches would love to have in their program but the reality is GPAs below a 95 and 3.9uw start to be in deny range.
What Insider says is very true, and is WHY many of us Generals fans were so excited to see W&L doing so well this past year, and go as far as they went in the NCAAs. It's specifically because of how hard it is for W&L to admit the very best of those who want to play in Lexington and admissions hasn't really budged, enough, to let them in, that Generals fans have to temper their excitement knowing, there might have been 5-10 other players who if they were admited, who knows how well this school would do in lax. Having said that, those who are admitted, get a great education and are wired for great jobs, especially in the financial world. I know 1 player on this years team, specifically turned down D-1 offers because of the education and the job opportunities afterwards. But, us Generals fans continue going to the games, supporting those who are admitted, who are great players in their own right, hoping one day, we win it all. Coach McCabe is doing a fantastic job, and as are Coaches Mendoza and Garrett.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Well said VALAXFAN.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:58 am

valaxfan

you have a lot to offer on these threads.

anyone that's "trusting you" that you know everyone's motivations and situation that's going to gettysburg (and other schools you mentioned) is incredibly entitled. not a good look.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:14 pm Looks like the W&L staff has already added a few 2024 commits. 5 that I see publicly.

Robert Bath, M, Gonzaga, DC - MadLax - 5-10/180
IL 3-Star, 2023 Honorable Mention WCAC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hcv0-xdtI&t=96s

Matt Blanton, D, Wesleyan School, GA - Team 91 National - 6-2/185
2023 GA 1A-4A 1st Team All-State
2x Team Captain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zKgsJ9Tj0&t=54s

Jack Dalton, A, Lake Norman Charter, NC - Carolina Miners - 6-3/210
2022 US Lacrosse All-American
2023 US Lacrosse All-American
3x NC 1st Team All-State
2x NC State Champion
159pts in 2023. 374 Career points in 3 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22XLF897Ws&t=102s

James Meyer, M, Gilman, MD - Team 91 MD - 6-0/200
IL 3-Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfkKiYDsZU&t=73s
- Fall Film

Carter Shallcross, D, Summit, NJ - STEPS - 6-0/190
2023 1st Team All-NJILL
2023 Kirst Cup Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_C1adNxfIo
Is Shallcross good to go or out?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”