D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:46 am
DMac wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:25 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:51 am
DMac wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:45 amNot this one.
Not this one either.

I'm guessing the main reason Petro is at UNC now is to be with his sons. It's been mentioned here and elsewhere on the web that Petro's sideline demeanor doesn't match that of Gait or March and that might've been an issue. I believe that. It seems like it's important to Gait that the coaches are calm on the sidelines, because that's how he is. The Syracuse women's coach is also very calm and I think she played for Gait. I can't imagine that Gait would want Ric Beardsley as an assistant coach given his sideline demeanor (or at least what I've heard is his sideline demeanor).
Not to mention the obnoxious narcissist is a huge pain in the asz who can't talk about himself enough. Not surprising we don't see him in the booth broadcasting games anymore. For you gamblers out there put your money on RB not even being considered for the position. His buddy Brent Axe (another huge aszwhole) just stirred the pot with the article he wrote.
I'd bet 100% of the reason DP went to UNC is because of his boys and I can't say as I blame him one bit for that. He's definitely hot on the sideline but you've got to figure Gary knew that when he asked him to join him. My guess would be his sideline demeanor really doesn't have anything to do with his leaving. JMHO.
Yes, Kayla played for Gary and can't say enough good things about the experience and how grateful she is for having had the opportunity to play for him. Gary was pretty laid back as the wlax coach as well (and very successful in turning that program around from a not so threating team to one that was an annual FF team and national title contender). Gary has always been a pretty laid back kind of guy, just the way he is.
agreed. i couple random people have theorized their conflicting personalities were either a problem or not gg's cup of tea in an asst. there's exactly no evidence of that i can tell, and all of it is actually to the contrary.

that said, i give "beardsley's in the mix" less than zero chance.
I guess you are on the outside
you already had your shot. you declined.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Well, I am definitely on the outside. On TV it looked like Gait was calm and patient with his team and coaching staff. Still, I couldn't help but think that he'd probably prefer a defensive coach who had a similar calm demeanor as his own. It's not like it was a top 5 ranked defense Petro was putting on the field either. Of course they knew each other and Gait had plenty of reasons to hire Petro in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever they hire is closer to Gait/March on the sidelines than Petro.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:55 pm Well, I am definitely on the outside. On TV it looked like Gait was calm and patient with his team and coaching staff. Still, I couldn't help but think that he'd probably prefer a defensive coach who had a similar calm demeanor as his own. It's not like it was a top 5 ranked defense Petro was putting on the field either. Of course they knew each other and Gait had plenty of reasons to hire Petro in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever they hire is closer to Gait/March on the sidelines than Petro.
@ this point and a couple years in, you may be correct on hoo is next up.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:55 pm Well, I am definitely on the outside. On TV it looked like Gait was calm and patient with his team and coaching staff. Still, I couldn't help but think that he'd probably prefer a defensive coach who had a similar calm demeanor as his own. It's not like it was a top 5 ranked defense Petro was putting on the field either. Of course they knew each other and Gait had plenty of reasons to hire Petro in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever they hire is closer to Gait/March on the sidelines than Petro.
:) well, that at least statistically a pretty safe prediction as few coaches these days are comparable to Petro in demeanor. ;)

I'm 100% on the outside...
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

And if I can use this opportunity to make a few complaints about the defense...

I'd love to see some more SSDM depth. They were rather thin in 2023 and since they're losing Aviles and Murphy for 24, they could use some help there. There were a lot of middies on the bench not being used for much. Maybe a recruiting problem (Trujillo is kinda small) as well as development problem. Kempney, Borges, White and LeVine (wasn't he recruited as an ssdm?) didn't get much time. None of them could've helped provide depth and keep Aviles and Rice fresher?

Billy Dwan looked great during his time as a full time player. He isn't needed to guard a great dodger, but he's effective guarding a team's #2 attackman. He's great off-ball and he makes great decisions with the ball in his stick. They need him on the field more. I think he only played full time when Clary was out.

The defense looked great against bad teams and kinda bad against good teams. I think SU fans are optimistic about the direction the team is going and that the defense can be improved and an influx of talent should help.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:21 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:56 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:36 am As of right now, it's just a rumor and I am not a cuse fan/nor a Ric B fan. But, genuine question... Any Cuse fans actually want RB to be the new DC?
There's no rumor, the local media did a big article saying how Ric wants the job and interviewed him. He's not under consideration for the position at all.
Rumors don't have to be true. Just have to be circulating. Anyways, I just wanted to see if Cuse fans would even want him as a DC.

You seem in-the-know, who have you heard as candidates?
SU is casting a wide net, there has been a few articles with multiple names and those seem to be fairly accurate. Some of the prior names were longshots ie Galloway, Amplo etc but guys like Unterstein, Crane, Stevens, and a few others seem to be in play.
OK this one might be out there but what about Joe Spallina head coach at SB. Has a lot of experience coaching Men's pro league and a vested interest since all of his kids will be going there. Would he suck it up to not be the HC there if the $$ is there???
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:09 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:36 am As of right now, it's just a rumor and I am not a cuse fan/nor a Ric B fan. But, genuine question... Any Cuse fans actually want RB to be the new DC?
There's no rumor, the local media did a big article saying how Ric wants the job and interviewed him. He's not under consideration for the position at all.
Rumors don't have to be true. Just have to be circulating. Anyways, I just wanted to see if Cuse fans would even want him as a DC.

SU is casting a wide net, there has been a few articles with multiple names and those seem to be fairly accurate. Some of the prior names were longshots ie Galloway, Amplo etc but guys like Unterstein, Crane, Stevens, and a few others seem to be in play.
OK this one might be out there but what about Joe Spallina head coach at SB. Has a lot of experience coaching Men's pro league and a vested interest since all of his kids will be going there. Would he suck it up to not be the HC there if the $$ is there???
That is an interesting suggestion I haven't seen anywhere else. Good call.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Spallina has done a heck of a job as the Women's HC for SB but I think he'd be a real hard sell to the fanbase. Your talking about a massive jump from Womens lax to the highest level of D1 mens lax. Recruiting he has obviously a pretty good background but again your talking a night and day difference at this level. If your SU you need someone who can hit the ground running on Day 1 so that means someone with D1 coaching experience and a recruiting background at this level. I think Spallina could probably do it but your talking a year or 2 to get himself acclimated assuming everything goes right, time SU doesn't have with a win now team.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

No idea if Spallina has any interest in the Cuse job, but let's not equate recruiting to rocket science. Spallina knows EVERYONE in boys/mens lacrosse at every level. Recruiting wouldn't be an issue.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:47 pm No idea if Spallina has any interest in the Cuse job, but let's not equate recruiting to rocket science. Spallina knows EVERYONE in boys/mens lacrosse at every level. Recruiting wouldn't be an issue.
Could we get his brother Brian as a Volunteer Assistant? I think he would toughen some guys up.

Spallina would be way outside the box. Charismatic, has a ton of experience coaching, a bit of a chip on his shoulder. It still feels like Gait is growing into the job and bringing in yet another coach whose main job is in the women's sphere might be a bridge too far.
lilax

Post by lilax »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:11 pm

Spallina has done a heck of a job as the Women's HC for SB but I think he'd be a real hard sell to the fanbase. Your talking about a massive jump from Womens lax to the highest level of D1 mens lax. Recruiting he has obviously a pretty good background but again your talking a night and day difference at this level. If your SU you need someone who can hit the ground running on Day 1 so that means someone with D1 coaching experience and a recruiting background at this level. I think Spallina could probably do it but your talking a year or 2 to get himself acclimated assuming everything goes right, time SU doesn't have with a win now team.
Would Spallina really give up a state school job with a pension?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

what about tiffany? isn't he from cny and with a defensive background?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

lilax wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:29 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:11 pm

Would Spallina really give up a state school job with a pension?
He would have for the Cuse Wlax job. He has also coached mens lax at a higher level than collegiate for many years.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

There is no higher level than college lacrosse :roll:
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

relaxedfan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:09 pm There is no higher level than college lacrosse :roll:
Its like college you get your BA and graduate
and then after college ---> then you play pro.....higher than college ;)
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

The talent level may be higher or more concentrated at the Pro Level but there is no way anyone could say the overall lacrosse is played at higher level. Unless you think highlight plays and turnovers are what make for high level lacrosse. However, if you're a fan of organized, well coached, and discipled lacrosse, the NCAA is still the high water mark.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

I should add that I'm not downplaying the ability of the players, or the coaches (maybe). But college lacrosse teams work together 6x a week for most of the year. Pro lax guys get together for 2x a week for 3months.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:39 pm what about tiffany? isn't he from cny and with a defensive background?
Sure. They can bring in Tambroni as a volunteer assistant since he is CNY as well.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

What about beville from cortland. Hearing he may be available
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:42 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:39 pm what about tiffany? isn't he from cny and with a defensive background?
Sure. They can bring in Tambroni as a volunteer assistant since he is CNY as well.
and Rick Sowell from Horsehead. 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”