Is Lacrosse an "Aristocrat Sport?"

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Is Lacrosse an "Aristocrat Sport?"

Post by Farfromgeneva »

mdk01 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:03 pm Hello? Salisbury??
Hun, Sayville, Mtn Lakes, Brewster Academy, St Paul’s, Gonzaga, Darien etc. I’m mixing college town with type of kid in roster here sure Salisbury MD isn’t great but the roster has a healthy mix of kids that come from some resources for sure
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:53 pm
And the town has no nightlife unless you’re in Jerry Falwell Jrs party circle!
https://athletics.aurora.edu/sports/men ... sse/roster

A lot of tony midwestern towns. I believe Fisher Indiana is nice. Cousin lives there.
Is Miamisburg considered tony? I once spent the better part of two winter months there and that’s not the word of use for that “bucolic” suburb of Dayton. Would throw Carbondale IL and Ottawa IL in the same bucket. Basically been to St Elmos in Indianapolis and Ft Wayne and that’s it for In.
Miamisburg is Hillbilly Elegy territory…. Indian Hills would be tony. Montgomery is bucolic…
Montgomery Inn!

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:53 pm
And the town has no nightlife unless you’re in Jerry Falwell Jrs party circle!
https://athletics.aurora.edu/sports/men ... sse/roster

A lot of tony midwestern towns. I believe Fisher Indiana is nice. Cousin lives there.
Is Miamisburg considered tony? I once spent the better part of two winter months there and that’s not the word of use for that “bucolic” suburb of Dayton. Would throw Carbondale IL and Ottawa IL in the same bucket. Basically been to St Elmos in Indianapolis and Ft Wayne and that’s it for In.
Miamisburg is Hillbilly Elegy territory…. Indian Hills would be tony. Montgomery is bucolic…
Montgomery Inn!

Joe
Yep…. BBQ….and Graeters Ice Cream.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:25 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:49 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:43 am
sinman6 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:00 pm Lacrosse is an aristocratic sport, absolutely, and I wouldn’t take anyone seriously who said otherwise. Yes, the game is growing, but its growth is largely confined to wealthy persons in large metropolitan cities. My understanding is that USILA supports the growth of the game through grants, but I have limited insight into that process. Hopefully that process works, and any additional needs are met through private donation. … Hopefully
Agree with this statement.

While on the scholastic level there’s a broader participation due to growth, but on the collegiate level, especially among the top programs it’s a sport for the elite.

Just take a look at the Virginia roster or any other comparable program. Players largely come from upper middle class or wealthy families.

If you’re coming from McDonough, St Anthonys, Rocky Point, St Annes Belfield, Ridgefield, Mountain Lakes, The Taft, Brunswick, Manhasset, St Paul’s, Georgetown Prep, Conestoga, Highland, Menlo School, Gilman, Deerfield, Haverford, then you’re in pretty good financial standing.
Yep. Just look at a college lacrosse roster
That really isn’t true. There are >250 D3 programs in the country. The majority of them have rosters full off middle class public school kids. You can’t equate the roster of UVA with “college roster” and can’t equate who has access to lacrosse to those who end up playing top level D1.
D1, especially ACC, Ivy, B10, Patriot, Big East, are the face of lacrosse and they’re all like UVA.

Hardly anybody follows or cares about D3 lacrosse except mom and pop. Just out of curiosity I pulled an anonymous D3 program up. The Oberlin College Yeomen from Ohio. Granted it’s a fine liberal arts school, but not a lacrosse power.

Not one single player from an Ohio public school. None from Ohio period. Here’s a sample.
Boys Latin, Gilman, Taft School, Northport, Port Washington, Rye, Palos Verdes, Berkeley CA, Friends School MD, Mamaroneck, Avon Old Farms, Middlesex School, Rutgers Prep, Moravian Aca, King School, etc.

If this is the face of Oberlin then you can image it’s no different at Tufts, Amherst, Franklin & Marshall, Williams, Bates, Haverford.
Think that’s a pretty poor take and a very unrepresentative “random” pick. Look at Oberlin’s schedule. Look at a random school on there’s roster. The vast majority of them you will have never heard of any of the high schools, and they will be mostly public. I can’t help it if you don’t care about D3 but it’s a pretty ignorant approach to ignore it. The vast majority of college lacrosse players play D3 (and add in D2) and they mostly aren’t at NESCAC or Haverford. “Aristocratic” was as asinine word choice intended to provoke. If the question is do most of the players at top D1/D3 programs (and their socioeconomic yet crappy peers like Oberlin) come mostly from private and wealthy public then the answer is of course. But that wasn’t the question. The majority of college players aren’t from those backgrounds and the majority of high school players aren’t. There are near 3000 high schools with lacrosse. Maybe 200-300 fit the wealth stereotype. They absolutely are vastly over represented in turning out the best players but to say that since “nobody cares” about the rest they in essence don’t count in assessing who plays the sport is elitist nonsense. A word of wisdom. Relative to most every other sport, nobody cares about UVA or Hopkins lacrosse either. Hopkins page here gets 200 pages, yet consists of about 10-15 people posting.
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:53 pm
sinman6 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:00 pm Lacrosse is an aristocratic sport, absolutely, and I wouldn’t take anyone seriously who said otherwise. Yes, the game is growing, but its growth is largely confined to wealthy persons in large metropolitan cities. My understanding is that USILA supports the growth of the game through grants, but I have limited insight into that process. Hopefully that process works, and any additional needs are met through private donation. … Hopefully

While on the scholastic level there’s a broader participation due to growth, but on the collegiate level, especially among the top programs it’s a sport for the elite.

Just take a look at the Virginia roster or any other comparable program. Players largely come from upper middle class or wealthy families.

If you’re coming from McDonough, St Anthonys, Rocky Point, St Annes Belfield, Ridgefield, Mountain Lakes, The Taft, Brunswick, Manhasset, St Paul’s, Georgetown Prep, Conestoga, Highland, Menlo School, Gilman, Deerfield, Haverford, then you’re in pretty good financial standing.
That really isn’t true. There are >250 D3 programs in the country. The majority of them have rosters full off middle class public school kids. You can’t equate the roster of UVA with “college roster” and can’t equate who has access to lacrosse to those who end up playing top level D1.
D1, especially ACC, Ivy, B10, Patriot, Big East, are the face of lacrosse and they’re all like UVA.

Hardly anybody follows or cares about D3 lacrosse except mom and pop. Just out of curiosity I pulled an anonymous D3 program up. The Oberlin College Yeomen from Ohio. Granted it’s a fine liberal arts school, but not a lacrosse power.

Not one single player from an Ohio public school. None from Ohio period. Here’s a sample.
Boys Latin, Gilman, Taft School, Northport, Port Washington, Rye, Palos Verdes, Berkeley CA, Friends School MD, Mamaroneck, Avon Old Farms, Middlesex School, Rutgers Prep, Moravian Aca, King School, etc.

If this is the face of Oberlin then you can image it’s no different at Tufts, Amherst, Franklin & Marshall, Williams, Bates, Haverford.
Think that’s a pretty poor take and a very unrepresentative “random” pick. Look at Oberlin’s schedule. Look at a random school on there’s roster. The vast majority of them you will have never heard of any of the high schools, and they will be mostly public. I can’t help it if you don’t care about D3 but it’s a pretty ignorant approach to ignore it. The vast majority of college lacrosse players play D3 (and add in D2) and they mostly aren’t at NESCAC or Haverford. “Aristocratic” was as asinine word choice intended to provoke. If the question is do most of the players at top D1/D3 programs (and their socioeconomic yet crappy peers like Oberlin) come mostly from private and wealthy public then the answer is of course. But that wasn’t the question. The majority of college players aren’t from those backgrounds and the majority of high school players aren’t. There are near 3000 high schools with lacrosse. Maybe 200-300 fit the wealth stereotype. They absolutely are vastly over represented in turning out the best players but to say that since “nobody cares” about the rest they in essence don’t count in assessing who plays the sport is elitist nonsense. A word of wisdom. Relative to most every other sport, nobody cares about UVA or Hopkins lacrosse either. Hopkins page here gets 200 pages, yet consists of about 10-15 people posting.
It’s an upper-middle class and above sport, principally. Someone suggested that the reason many college rosters reflect that demographic is because the working and middle class kids that play high school lacrosse generally choose to play football and basketball in college….. that sounds about right.

There are a lot of average high schools that field lacrosse teams, but like soccer, you don’t get recruited to play in college by just playing high school. The club Lacrosse circuit is a better representative sample of a college lacrosse roster. Aristocratic was the wrong word. Very few college sports would meet that hurdle. Polo and equestrian are probably two sports that would be considered aristocratic. The kids in this state that play college lacrosse are from upper middle class communities, for the most part. There are always exceptions though.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It’s an upper-middle class and above sport, principally. Someone suggested that the reason many college rosters reflect that demographic is because the working and middle class kids that play high school lacrosse generally choose to play football and basketball in college….. that sounds about right.

Dunno if this is entirely true since the sport is widely played in the res, most of which are impoverished.

Ice hockey is thought to be highly elitist because there are so many exclusive type high schools in the USA that play it and only a small number of colleges play it as well. But in Canada the sport is largely played by farm boys who never get to see the inside of a college. I believe this is equally so for Russia and Ukraine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:25 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:53 pm

There are a lot of average high schools that field lacrosse teams, but like soccer, you don’t get recruited to play in college by just playing high school. The club Lacrosse circuit is a better representative sample of a college lacrosse roster. Aristocratic was the wrong word. Very few college sports would meet that hurdle. Polo and equestrian are probably two sports that would be considered aristocratic. The kids in this state that play college lacrosse are from upper middle class communities, for the most part. There are always exceptions though.
Down where I am and Coca Cola is referred to as Dixie Champagne (see Buford Calloway) they would call football an aristocratic sport. They just can’t mostly spell it on their SATs which is why getting that name right is so important!
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

This discussion of aristocratic sports reminds me of Stanford University’s decision to drop their NCAA D-1 Coed Sailing team a few years ago. Prior to seeing that announcement, I was completely unaware of the fact that the NCAA sponsored coed sailing competitions and ever since then I have wasted hours day dreaming of trying out for one of those teams — as opposed to the hundreds of hours of blood, sweat and tears that were (apparently) completed wasted trying to get into shape for such mundane sports as basketball and football!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxwatch2007 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:15 am This discussion of aristocratic sports reminds me of Stanford University’s decision to drop their NCAA D-1 Coed Sailing team a few years ago. Prior to seeing that announcement, I was completely unaware of the fact that the NCAA sponsored coed sailing competitions and ever since then I have wasted hours day dreaming of trying out for one of those teams — as opposed to the hundreds of hours of blood, sweat and tears that were (apparently) completed wasted trying to get into shape for such mundane sports as basketball and football!
Ahh, a Hobart connection - John Vandermoer. Hobart had a decent sailing program. They put in a lot of hours. I don't know about blood and sweat but it's taken seriously in it's circles.

And it also serves as a backdoor admissions play as well!

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-o ... hs-defense
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:21 pm

Dunno if this is entirely true since the sport is widely played in the res, most of which are impoverished.

Ice hockey is thought to be highly elitist because there are so many exclusive type high schools in the USA that play it and only a small number of colleges play it as well. But in Canada the sport is largely played by farm boys who never get to see the inside of a college. I believe this is equally so for Russia and Ukraine.

Not all Rez are inpoverished or have extreme pathology thought certainly many are. Pine Ridge is still what you would imagine it would be. The White Mtn Apache jave done well with ther development efforts. Foxwoods in CN is the prime exhibit for what a casino can do for a Rez. Many others have some of the extreme poverty lifted by casinos. Not every Rez has the authority to operate a full casino. David Cordish, 1950 ? national titlist, has managed a couple of casinos for tribes.

The origins of the sport are certainly not what anyone would think of as elitist. The cost to play has been increasing on a real dollar basis if you play at an elite level eg equipment, travel team expenses etc. but it has been admittedly awhile since i dealt with it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:53 pm

Not all Rez are inpoverished or have extreme pathology thought certainly many are. Pine Ridge is still what you would imagine it would be. The White Mtn Apache jave done well with ther development efforts. Foxwoods in CN is the prime exhibit for what a casino can do for a Rez. Many others have some of the extreme poverty lifted by casinos. Not every Rez has the authority to operate a full casino. David Cordish, 1950 ? national titlist, has managed a couple of casinos for tribes.

The origins of the sport are certainly not what anyone would think of as elitist. The cost to play has been increasing on a real dollar basis if you play at an elite level eg equipment, travel team expenses etc. but it has been admittedly awhile since i dealt with it.
There's still a lot of rent seeking, buddy who ran gaming banking for BofA and JPM used to party with the CFO of the Pequot tribe. The slippage is gross. And Foxwoods/Mohegan certainly haven't offset the loss of shipbuilding and pharma from the greater New London area with those $10/hr casino jobs.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I assume you mean the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe.

The casino was not thought of as replacing lost jobs in other industries. It was viewed as a means of economic development and empowerment for the tribe. There was quite a lot of intrigue surrounding the entire enterprise.

I was in economic development meetings to strategize economic diversity with the revenues being generated. It was interesting, i was the only male in those meetings and if i recall the only non Indian. The three divas of Indian Country were accounted for w a few others.

In Catch 22 Chief White Half Oat was constantly having to relocate bcs where ever he settled oil was discovered and he was forced to move.

Gambling was the option Indians had for wealth accumulation. Even so it has been a struggle.

The National Indian Gaming association was formed to oversee it. Many tribes return a portion of revenues to tribal members in a payment outside of salaries paid by jobs. Foxwoods stopped payments a decade ago bcs of difficulties.
About a decade after my last involvement. My involvement in so e of these matters ended in 2003. So i missed the Bush recession amd COVID’s impact.
NIGC.gov

https://www.500nations.com/

I should add it has not been a universal panacea for more than a few tribes but it has helped
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:23 pm I assume you mean the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe.

The casino was not thought of as replacing lost jobs in other industries. It was viewed as a means of economic development and empowerment for the tribe. There was quite a lot of intrigue surrounding the entire enterprise.

I was in economic development meetings to strategize economic diversity with the revenues being generated. It was interesting, i was the only male in those meetings and if i recall the only non Indian. The three divas of Indian Country were accounted for w a few others.

In Catch 22 Chief White Half Oat was constantly having to relocate bcs where ever he settled oil was discovered and he was forced to move.

Gambling was the option Indians had for wealth accumulation. Even so it has been a struggle.

The National Indian Gaming association was formed to oversee it. Many tribes return a portion of revenues to tribal members in a payment outside of salaries paid by jobs. Foxwoods stopped payments a decade ago bcs of difficulties.
About a decade after my last involvement. My involvement in so e of these matters ended in 2003. So i missed the Bush recession amd COVID’s impact.
NIGC.gov

I should add it has not been a universal panacea for more than a few tribes but it has helped
They need and deserve help, it’s been a trainwreck at the one down on Hollywood FL for years I know. Lot of businesses lean on that sovereign status know a mortgage shop using it and picking a Utah based tribe off. Tribal capital markets is a landing spot for third tier ex securities producers professionals etc. I hope it’s beneficial for the tribes but see a lot of angling in and using their status that’s unbecoming is all.

(Got married at harkness memorial park in Waterford and rented out that mansion eolia after hours in the late 2000s as our combined families all had to travel and we felt like a combo mystic seaport/casino location when we were living in NYC was good for guests-only a third actually went to the casinos I think, I definitely hit Mohegan for my wedding pregame activities)
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:43 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:23 pm I assume you mean the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe.

NIGC.gov

They need and deserve help, it’s been a trainwreck at the one down on Hollywood FL for years I know. Lot of businesses lean on that sovereign status know a mortgage shop using it and picking a Utah based tribe off. Tribal capital markets is a landing spot for third tier ex securities producers professionals etc. I hope it’s beneficial for the tribes but see a lot of angling in and using their status that’s unbecoming is all.

(Got married at harkness memorial park in Waterford and rented out that mansion eolia after hours in the late 2000s as our combined families all had to travel and we felt like a combo mystic seaport/casino location when we were living in NYC was good for guests-only a third actually went to the casinos I think, I definitely hit Mohegan for my wedding pregame activities)
Best friend from college had his reception there. Bride from Old Lyme.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:43 pm

NIGC.gov

Best friend from college had his reception there. Bride from Old Lyme.
Must be a cool dude. Looked up and down the coast for a castle/mansion type facility and waterfront. All the lower CT waterfront was corporate type venues, looked at CT River castle in Middletown but the water aspect was lame. So we went to the historical society at Stonington about renting out that lighthouse at the end of the town (small but nice and close to water) and the lady there suggested we check out the Eolia bldg. Only challenge is it’s state owned and we didn’t want the preapproved vendors so had to stitch those together ourselves and get them approved by the state. Worked out well for 150 or so guests.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:36 pm

There's still a lot of rent seeking, buddy who ran gaming banking for BofA and JPM used to party with the CFO of the Pequot tribe. The slippage is gross. And Foxwoods/Mohegan certainly haven't offset the loss of shipbuilding and pharma from the greater New London area with those $10/hr casino jobs.
Actually $12 - 15 based on the year. But nowhere near pharma or shipbuilding, though they're not the ones filling those jobs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

mdk01 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:57 pm

Actually $12 - 15 based on the year. But nowhere near pharma or shipbuilding, though they're not the ones filling those jobs.
As Stic Man once rhymed:

We ain't getting paid commission, minimum wage, modern day slave conditions
Got me flippin' burgers with no power
Can't even buy one off what I make in an hour
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:19 pm

As Stic Man once rhymed:

Foxwoods. per their revenue sharing agreement with the State, has contribute approximately $5 Billion into the State’s budget since tge agreement was signed
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:05 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:19 pm

As Stic Man once rhymed:

Foxwoods. per their revenue sharing agreement with the State, has contribute approximately $5 Billion into the State’s budget since tge agreement was signed
You clearly prefer Foxwoods to Mohegan. I prefer the latter though for table games I prefer Foxwoods. It just reminds me of that bad 80s comedy movie where the Russians build a town to look like a US town but they build this anachronistic throw back to the 50s. especially when you walk the hallways outside the gaming area. Can’t recall that movie name maybe it had James Spader in it.

CT needs the dough. Has a lot of problems. Jim Rowland did a number on the state (Im sure there were others but he messed it up)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I can’t say i prefer one to the other but Foxwoods is the one i know something about.

I was involved in many Indian issues from 1993 - 2003. Foxwoods had a lot going on. I was a plus one at 5 International Whaling Conferences, ( treaty law ) been to a few dozen Rez, flew to Alaska in January one year for a dinner with an Inuit leader( you left the plane on a people mover bcs Polar Bears). In 1998 Ada Deer ( nothing runs like a deer) left the Clinton Administration. I was one of 3/4 non Indians at her drumming ceremony. My SO was perhaps the leading practitioner of Indian Treaty Law. I had competencies that meshed well with her work.

I play poker but not at Casinos

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”