American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: American Educational System

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:16 pm
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:59 pm
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:47 pm My wife and I along with our son attended orientation at JMU today. As fate would have it, we met 2 other mothers who were public school teachers, one from New York and one from Virginia. Both of their incoming freshmen attended private school. We shared very similar stories about teachers leaving the profession. I fear that we are reaching a tipping point but I sure as hell hope not.
Did they tell you why two public school teachers sent their own kids to private school?

Because that sounds like we're past the tipping point. That tells me that both those teachers are powerless to change their own schools system.

And what was it that the "Equity Board" did, specifically. Curious.
By no means are my wife and I anti-public school. On the contrary, we have spent the majority of our careers in the public school system supporting our students to the fullest.
Didn't mean to imply that you weren't supportive of education, and public education in particular. You have my utmost respect. And you've got 20+ years of public service on your CV. I don't have that. So.....thank you for your service and work for us taxpayers.

KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm The challenges of the the public school system have increased immeasurably over the past 20 years
I agree. I'm asking you to share some examples, if you have the time.

What I was trying (poorly) to convey was that in the case of the two moms you met at JMU orientation.....clearly they weren't thrilled with their public school systems, so they chose to educate their kids via the private system.

This reflects my belief that teachers have little or no power in public schools anymore, and someone/something else is telling them what to do and what not to do.
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm Special education services have ramped up significantly during that time. These are needed services for many students that were not as much of a priority 20 years ago. These services are a result of a number of circumstances. Some of this can be attributed to students who do not receive the support at home that was once the norm. Meaning, when they enter the school system, they are not as prepared as they once were. Also, awareness on the part of parents, and the ability to better diagnose learning difficulties have ramped up. This is a BIG positive, but these programs cost money. So, where does the money come from? How is the pie divided? ESOL is the current challenge, students who do not speak or speak the English language in a limited fashion. Depending on the school district, this can be a significant drain on the resources of the school system. The public school system is all things to all people, as it should be.
This is another problem---not enough money to get the job done. Teachers are short of money, time, and resources. And the classroom sizes are
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm Along the way, some folks are willing to make the sacrifices, some more than others, to send their children to private schools. For me, in many ways, it is a simple as that.
I have NO problem with folks taking the private route. This is America. I'm simply pointing out that if public school teachers sends their kids to private school, it means that the public schools on hand aren't meeting the teacher's own standards. And that's a bad thing, on many levels.

I want to fix the problems. Which is why I'm asking you questions. Appreciate you taking the time to answer them.
We sent one child to public high school and one to private. Quality of education was comparable and I would say our public school offers more. My daughter took an investment class and “the business of sports marketing” at our local high school. My son’s private school was more classic in its offerings. Both had good experiences. We are in a good district. I would say guidance counseling was weaker at the public school…. but parents need to be active/present in both instances or your kid can just be shuffled along.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:07 pm
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:47 pm My wife and I along with our son attended orientation at JMU today. As fate would have it, we met 2 other mothers who were public school teachers, one from New York and one from Virginia. Both of their incoming freshmen attended private school. We shared very similar stories about teachers leaving the profession. I fear that we are reaching a tipping point but I sure as hell hope not.
Did they tell you why two public school teachers sent their own kids to private school?

Because that sounds like we're past the tipping point. That tells me that both those teachers are powerless to change their own schools system.

By no means are my wife and I anti-public school. On the contrary, we have spent the majority of our careers in the public school system supporting our students to the fullest. The challenges of the the public school system have increased immeasurably over the past 20 years. Special education services have ramped up significantly during that time. These are needed services for many students that were not as much of a priority 20 years ago. These services are a result of a number of circumstances. Some of this can be attributed to students who do not receive the support at home that was once the norm. Meaning, when they enter the school system, they are not as prepared as they once were. Also, awareness on the part of parents, and the ability to better diagnose learning difficulties have ramped up. This is a BIG positive, but these programs cost money. So, where does the money come from? How is the pie divided? ESOL is the current challenge, students who do not speak or speak the English language in a limited fashion. Depending on the school district, this can be a significant drain on the resources of the school system. The public school system is all things to all people, as it should be. Along the way, some folks are willing to make the sacrifices, some more than others, to send their children to private schools. For me, in many ways, it is a simple as that.
Are you in a school district that’s primarily low to moderate income?
This will provide the answer if it’s not known.

https://geomap.ffiec.gov/ffiecgeomap/
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:25 pm

By no means are my wife and I anti-public school. On the contrary, we have spent the majority of our careers in the public school system supporting our students to the fullest.
Didn't mean to imply that you weren't supportive of education, and public education in particular. You have my utmost respect. And you've got 20+ years of public service on your CV. I don't have that. So.....thank you for your service and work for us taxpayers.

KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm The challenges of the the public school system have increased immeasurably over the past 20 years

What I was trying (poorly) to convey was that in the case of the two moms you met at JMU orientation.....clearly they weren't thrilled with their public school systems, so they chose to educate their kids via the private system.

This reflects my belief that teachers have little or no power in public schools anymore, and someone/something else is telling them what to do and what not to do.
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm Special education services have ramped up significantly during that time. These are needed services for many students that were not as much of a priority 20 years ago. These services are a result of a number of circumstances. Some of this can be attributed to students who do not receive the support at home that was once the norm. Meaning, when they enter the school system, they are not as prepared as they once were. Also, awareness on the part of parents, and the ability to better diagnose learning difficulties have ramped up. This is a BIG positive, but these programs cost money. So, where does the money come from? How is the pie divided? ESOL is the current challenge, students who do not speak or speak the English language in a limited fashion. Depending on the school district, this can be a significant drain on the resources of the school system. The public school system is all things to all people, as it should be.
This is another problem---not enough money to get the job done. Teachers are short of money, time, and resources. And the classroom sizes are
KI Dock Bar wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 pm Along the way, some folks are willing to make the sacrifices, some more than others, to send their children to private schools. For me, in many ways, it is a simple as that.
I have NO problem with folks taking the private route. This is America. I'm simply pointing out that if public school teachers sends their kids to private school, it means that the public schools on hand aren't meeting the teacher's own standards. And that's a bad thing, on many levels.

I want to fix the problems. Which is why I'm asking you questions. Appreciate you taking the time to answer them.
We sent one child to public high school and one to private. Quality of education was comparable and I would say our public school offers more. My daughter took an investment class and “the business of sports marketing” at our local high school. My son’s private school was more classic in its offerings. Both had good experiences. We are in a good district. I would say guidance counseling was weaker at the public school…. but parents need to be active/present in both instances or your kid can just be shuffled along.
To me the guidance counselor quality and Rolodex is 60-70% of the reason to send a kid to a prep school if you live in a half decent school district already.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:33 pm

To me the guidance counselor quality and Rolodex is 60-70% of the reason to send a kid to a prep school if you live in a half decent school district already.
Big gap between a “private” school and a “prep” school….and I agree.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Since when did guidance couselors get to be hotshots at prep and private schools. They make more money than teachers doing actual work. Our counselor was garbage back in the day. Was a throwaway job. At one of the best schools in the nation.

With all the lawsuits and changes, they don't matter as much, but they're supposed rockstars. Makes no sense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:07 pm

Big gap between a “private” school and a “prep” school….and I agree.
Yes I’m thinking the Exeter/Deerfield types vs Binghamton HS which when I went there was a strong public HS. Counselors were a joke however despite 18/20 top graduates going Ivy or similar (one went to swarthmore, one passed on Williams because he was super Christian and played tennis at grove city, one Rochester and the Jerk who went to Hobart - if you want to be whatever call it 17/20 since Roch isn’t really on that level but he was a low Ivy accepted kid). We all had to figure it out on our own for post HS plans.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:18 pm
Since when did guidance couselors get to be hotshots at prep and private schools. They make more money than teachers doing actual work. Our counselor was garbage back in the day. Was a throwaway job. At one of the best schools in the nation.

With all the lawsuits and changes, they don't matter as much, but they're supposed rockstars. Makes no sense.
It’s being able to call admissions at a top 50 liberal arts or universities (maybe top 30-35 on universities) and get your median graduate in when they should probably be below the cutoff line. And you get four years of geek or Latin, sweet.

The structure and time Mgt forced on you is probably the other benefit.
See Martin, Malcolm
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

In the public schools I am familiar with in our area they have guidance counselors at the high school level who double as college counselors. At my sons catholic high school they have 4 college counselors whose sole purpose is to assist in the college process. The average graduating class is about 300 students - it is a large private school. Due to their size they can offer a variety of programs not offered at other private schools, and most public schools. They have an IB program and STEM as well. The usual honors classes, etc. 95% of the graduates from this year are continuing their education whereas our local public school about 50% are doing the same. Our public school graduated virtually the same number of students this year. There are public schools in Maryland that have more than 50% of their students continuing their education beyond high school, but I doubt there are any that approach 95%. In addition, the amount of scholarship money the graduates received at my sons school was significantly more than our local public. The college counselors play a critical role in this process.

Guidance counselors have so much more on their plate now due to the emergence of mental health concerns that were not a factor 20 years ago and beyond. On occasion, when I speak to a counselor at my public middle school concerning a student, I usually come away thinking there is so much happening behind the scenes that I typically only know the half of it. Trust me, school counselors are not sitting on their hands in their office all day long anymore.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 am In the public schools I am familiar with in our area they have guidance counselors at the high school level who double as college counselors. At my sons catholic high school they have 4 college counselors whose sole purpose is to assist in the college process. The average graduating class is about 300 students - it is a large private school. Due to their size they can offer a variety of programs not offered at other private schools, and most public schools. They have an IB program and STEM as well. The usual honors classes, etc. 95% of the graduates from this year are continuing their education whereas our local public school about 50% are doing the same. Our public school graduated virtually the same number of students this year. There are public schools in Maryland that have more than 50% of their students continuing their education beyond high school, but I doubt there are any that approach 95%. In addition, the amount of scholarship money the graduates received at my sons school was significantly more than our local public. The college counselors play a critical role in this process.

Guidance counselors have so much more on their plate now due to the emergence of mental health concerns that were not a factor 20 years ago and beyond. On occasion, when I speak to a counselor at my public middle school concerning a student, I usually come away thinking there is so much happening behind the scenes that I typically only know the half of it. Trust me, school counselors are not sitting on their hands in their office all day long anymore.
More than 20yrs ago, I’m about 25 out of public HS and my counselors were not in any way useful for post HS life, it was all current crisis. Granted we had a suicide in a school bathroom, a kid was hunted down and murdered by the police after senior year, one kid I knew had his face backed in with a hammer for owing a local dealer $400, etc. back then bing was also the largest Laotian refugee center in the US (per Capita I presume for that datapoint) so a lot of ESL kids. A very barbelled place. Had all the great programs and if you did well you had access not like Savona/Bath where the Valedictorian of Bath HS might luckily get into a Patriot league level school. But if you fell off it could be a loong hard fall. Middle was soft and large, SUNY, CC, other generic colleges like Elon, LeMoyne etc-every person and school in the middle would be described as easily replaceable by AI.

Obviously mental health discussions were a joke 25yrs ago. Kind of still are until insurance opens up as even programs that are mental health related are forced to skew to hard to tying it back to existing medical KSAs.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

KI Dock Bar wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 am In the public schools I am familiar with in our area they have guidance counselors at the high school level who double as college counselors. At my sons catholic high school they have 4 college counselors whose sole purpose is to assist in the college process. The average graduating class is about 300 students - it is a large private school. Due to their size they can offer a variety of programs not offered at other private schools, and most public schools. They have an IB program and STEM as well. The usual honors classes, etc. 95% of the graduates from this year are continuing their education whereas our local public school about 50% are doing the same. Our public school graduated virtually the same number of students this year. There are public schools in Maryland that have more than 50% of their students continuing their education beyond high school, but I doubt there are any that approach 95%. In addition, the amount of scholarship money the graduates received at my sons school was significantly more than our local public. The college counselors play a critical role in this process.

Is the issue public schools in working class communities or public schools in general? The public high schools I know have a high percentage of kids that matriculate to college….at one 92% of graduates participate in AP.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Why would this be anymore of a "tipping point" than, say, actual law makers , from school committees to Governors, and them sending their offspring to a private school ? They vote for laws, policies, taxes and budgets....all in the name of EDUCATION.

Yet, them sending their own kids to private, is a sign of something ?

What does the very old "education program" of Boston /suburbs METCO, say about publics, versus some other publics. Or, having "public" schools like Boston Latin requiring "test scores" and other stuff.

Danbury HS doesn't even offer English, anymore. Darien, offers students the chance to learn 11 languages.... plus english...and 3 more computer "languages".

Danbury HS doesn't have a lacrosse team, does it ? Doubt they get new equipment and uniforms, like the "wave" does 8-) 8-)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Yeah, big difference between college guidance counselors and school counselors who are dealing with much more.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sure has become complicated to be a kid in school.
Very much unlike my memories of a pretty fun place
to be where you could play on ball teams, be in the
band, etc...oh, and where half (about) the student
body was girls about the same age. Wouldn't trade
places with these kids and their oh so complicated
and fragile world for all the tea in China.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I have a niece who is a guidance counselor in MA, been in both private and public, now in public again. She also coaches the golf and tennis teams to state tourneys despite not having really played either herself. And yes, they have significantly less staffing for such than do typical well off private schools.

KI, where do you live in Maryland, what is your local public?

There are certainly publics in MD that have 90+% going on to college.

Don't get me wrong, your Catholic school and where we sent our son to private school is very, very likely to have better stats than nearly all publics in MD, for a variety reasons, whether selection or resources.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:20 pm Sure has become complicated to be a kid in school.
Very much unlike my memories of a pretty fun place
to be where you could play on ball teams, be in the
band, etc...oh, and where half (about) the student
body was girls about the same age. Wouldn't trade
places with these kids and their oh so complicated
and fragile world for all the tea in China.
I don't recall 'active shooter' or bomb threats in my day, either.

We also didn't have social media or cell phones...
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

MD - I live on Kent Island - I coached soccer and lacrosse at Kent Island HS for 20 years, hanging up my lanyard in 2019. I have taught at the middle school level on Kent Island since 2000. I was at Loyola Blakefield from 1986-1999 - coached soccer & lacrosse there as well. I attended public school in Baltimore County, Maryland all 12 years.

Yes, social media has changed so much and so many of the students at the middle school level do not handle it well. Our local state's attorney comes to the middle schools in our district every year. He speaks to the students about social media and the what can happen to them if they post inappropriate content. He talks about the immediate effect and the long term effects.

I do not see a significant increase in students who live in higher socio-economic areas going to private school. IMO, this is a middle class phenomenon. What I believe is happening is that more parents, as a whole, are seeing the benefits of a private school education. My sons high school claims they receive upwards of 600 applications for 9th grade every year and 300 students are admitted. Now, some students choose to attend a different school. At the catholic school where my wife teaches, they are busting at the seams. When she was there as a 1st grader 52 years ago there were 52 students in her class which was taught by a nun. Now she has 18-20 students in her 1st grade class and she has an aide who is there from 8-12. When she taught 1st grade in the public schools in Anne Arundel County in MD (she retired in 2021) she had 22-24 students and no aide. I believe this class size is typical of most public schools in our area. In addition to that, the privates can separate themselves from a child. Only in extreme cases does this happen in public school. Classroom management is much less of a challenge in the privates. The teachers are no different, the students are. They benefit from like-minded students and their parents who put great value on their education.

I really think we are seeing a trend toward parents at least considering a private school education for their child who would not have in the past. This trend was accelerated by the pandemic. Only time will tell if it continues. The girl who does my wife's hair sends her son to my sons alma mater. Her husband is a real estate agent and since the recent downturn in the market they are struggling to pay tuition. They are thinking of taking out a second mortgage on their home to make up the shortfall. Just one example, but I think it speaks to what some folks will do to keep their child in what they believe is a school that will ultimately make a significant difference in their child.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:23 pm MD - I live on Kent Island - I coached soccer and lacrosse at Kent Island HS for 20 years, hanging up my lanyard in 2019. I have taught at the middle school level on Kent Island since 2000. I was at Loyola Blakefield from 1986-1999 - coached soccer & lacrosse there as well. I attended public school in Baltimore County, Maryland all 12 years.

Yes, social media has changed so much and so many of the students at the middle school level do not handle it well. Our local state's attorney comes to the middle schools in our district every year. He speaks to the students about social media and the what can happen to them if they post inappropriate content. He talks about the immediate effect and the long term effects.

I do not see a significant increase in students who live in higher socio-economic areas going to private school. IMO, this is a middle class phenomenon. What I believe is happening is that more parents, as a whole, are seeing the benefits of a private school education. My sons high school claims they receive upwards of 600 applications for 9th grade every year and 300 students are admitted. Now, some students choose to attend a different school. At the catholic school where my wife teaches, they are busting at the seams. When she was there as a 1st grader 52 years ago there were 52 students in her class which was taught by a nun. Now she has 18-20 students in her 1st grade class and she has an aide who is there from 8-12. When she taught 1st grade in the public schools in Anne Arundel County in MD (she retired in 2021) she had 22-24 students and no aide. I believe this class size is typical of most public schools in our area. In addition to that, the privates can separate themselves from a child. Only in extreme cases does this happen in public school. Classroom management is much less of a challenge in the privates. The teachers are no different, the students are. They benefit from like-minded students and their parents who put great value on their education.

I really think we are seeing a trend toward parents at least considering a private school education for their child who would not have in the past. This trend was accelerated by the pandemic. Only time will tell if it continues. The girl who does my wife's hair sends her son to my sons alma mater. Her husband is a real estate agent and since the recent downturn in the market they are struggling to pay tuition. They are thinking of taking out a second mortgage on their home to make up the shortfall. Just one example, but I think it speaks to what some folks will do to keep their child in what they believe is a school that will ultimately make a significant difference in their child.
ahhh, then I gotta ask what your favorite dock bar is!
My wife and I and sometimes son with us come down and do an easy bike ride usually from Jetty parking lot up to park and back. Enough to work up a taste for good fish sandwich and some cold ones... :D

We used to always end up back out there, usually on the very end of the dock, but have begun to explore...

Some excellent ball out of Kent Islands HS over the years.
But yeah, I guess not in the top 40 publics in MD academically.
Sounds like they had quite a goaltender this past season!

Do you send your son over the bridge to St. Mary's or other, or is there another strong Catholic school on your side?

My brother-in-law is a '76 from Loyola Blakefield, his son a 2014.
I was Gilman '76, son a '12, my dad was McDonogh '50.
The girls all Garrison Forest.
We've chosen the private route for the reasons you describe others do when the public options aren't super stellar.
My wife, however, benefited from a public education in Falmouth MA where the real estate taxes and local scientific community of Woods Hole drove good opportunities. Her family couldn't have afforded private (she paid her own way to college and B-school), but fortunately her HS was strong. Her sister just retired from teaching in middle school there, one niece is the school counselor/coach in a county over.

Near where we are in Baltimore County, Hereford, Towson, Carver (arts and technology), and Dulaney are the best public options and they're pretty darn good from all I can tell. But so many private options...

yes, there was definitely a pandemic related bump in demand and in the year thereafter for private/independents, but it's a pretty open question as to whether that will be sustained.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:41 pm
KI Dock Bar wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:23 pm MD - I live on Kent Island - I coached soccer and lacrosse at Kent Island HS for 20 years, hanging up my lanyard in 2019. I have taught at the middle school level on Kent Island since 2000. I was at Loyola Blakefield from 1986-1999 - coached soccer & lacrosse there as well. I attended public school in Baltimore County, Maryland all 12 years.

My wife and I and sometimes son with us come down and do an easy bike ride usually from Jetty parking lot up to park and back. Enough to work up a taste for good fish sandwich and some cold ones... :D

We used to always end up back out there, usually on the very end of the dock, but have begun to explore...

Do you send your son over the bridge to St. Mary's or other, or is there another strong Catholic school on your side?

We've chosen the private route for the reasons you describe others do when the public options aren't super stellar.
My wife, however, benefited from a public education in Falmouth MA where the real estate taxes and local scientific community of Woods Hole drove good opportunities. Her family couldn't have afforded private (she paid her own way to college and B-school), but fortunately her HS was strong. Her sister just retired from teaching in middle school there, one niece is the school counselor/coach in a county over.

Near where we are in Baltimore County, Hereford, Towson, Carver (arts and technology), and Dulaney are the best public options and they're pretty darn good from all I can tell. But so many private options...

yes, there was definitely a pandemic related bump in demand and in the year thereafter for private/independents, but it's a pretty open question as to whether that will be sustained.
One of my colleagues went to Delaney. He did pretty well.
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:41 pm

MD - my son went to Spalding, we were extremely pleased with his development despite the pandemic extinguishing the better part of his sophomore year. He played lacrosse his freshman year (2 games until the pandemic hit) and sophomore year until he suffered a labral tear. He had to have have it repaired 7 months after the first surgery costing him his junior year. He kicked for the football team as a senior and they had a great season, winning the 'A' conference championship.

The best dock bar IMO is the Big Owl Bar - the food at the Crab Deck is good. Riding the Cross Island Trail is nice cause not too many hills over here on the shore. I suggest parking at Kent Island HS or Love Point Park and heading to the narrows from there - it is a 5 mile ride, about 30 minutes.

I graduated from Hereford HS in '78 and went on to play lacrosse at Maryland from '79-'83. The '79 team was loaded - we only lost 2 games, both to Hopkins. Regular season 13-12 and the championship game 14-9.

When we used to go south from Hereford to Dulaney & Towson they used to moo at us cause we were the rednecks from the sticks. Now, a lot of those folks are living in the Hereford zone. It is now widely considered the top public high school in Baltimore County. I bailed hay as a teenager at what is now Genesee Valley Farm for Tommy Lamonica for .50 cents/hour. Tommy used to lease my parents 12 acre field to harvest hay.

Return to “POLITICS”