Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxThoughts

Re: Transfer portal

Post by LaxThoughts »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:11 pm Would rather have it the old way where you sit out but in today’s society that’s never gonna happen. Half of this board would post “it’s not fair to the girl who has a horrible experience at the college and wants to go elsewhere.” The other half would be that’s the way it was for thirty years. Suck it up or transfer and sit out.
When coaches can jump ship immediately into a coaching job at another school, it was ridiculous to force students to sit out a year.

And as to some other other comments, guessing about a specific player's reasons for transferring, or worse impugning that player's motives, is the realm of armchair internet forum fighters -- often wrong but never in doubt.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxThoughts wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:33 am
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:11 pm Would rather have it the old way where you sit out but in today’s society that’s never gonna happen. Half of this board would post “it’s not fair to the girl who has a horrible experience at the college and wants to go elsewhere.” The other half would be that’s the way it was for thirty years. Suck it up or transfer and sit out.
When coaches can jump ship immediately into a coaching job at another school, it was ridiculous to force students to sit out a year.

And as to some other other comments, guessing about a specific player's reasons for transferring, or worse impugning that player's motives, is the realm of armchair internet forum fighters -- often wrong but never in doubt.
And like I said. 50% of the people on this site will support it and 50% won’t. Like almost every single thing in this world today. Key word almost because I think the rule changes would be 95-5 against here.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Not a fan of the coaches leaving argument. Not going into why because that debate would last for fifteen hours. There’s tons of reasons to make on both sides.
LILAXRAT

Post by LILAXRAT »

masshole7 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:19 am
user1020 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:17 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:29 pm
user1020 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:01 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:34 pm BC picks up their 3rd AA transfer. Clarke from UVA.
In my eyes BC just went from having an outside chance at Memorial Day weekend to a team with a strong chance to make the final 4 (when LoPinto was added) to a team that could very be back in the championship game (with Clarke). You never know what will actually happen, but BC is back in my top 5, if not top 2. They have arguably the 3 best attackers in the junior class. LoPinto & Davis low. Clarke & Martello up top. Smith & Weeks (did I hear Cassidy is coming back?. This team is loaded again.
Cass Weeks (coming back), Smith, Smith and Reynolds at middie Dont forget great 4 defenders - Scales, Roman, Bakes and AA Florida transfer - with Dolce in goal.
Is Schleicher coming back? Or Taglich? Sprinkle in some freshman and this team has depth

Schleicher and Taglich are both moving on from lacrosse, I believe Ryan Smith and Cassidy are the only two postgraduate returners. This BC team is going to be shaken up this fall ... but they will be good. As for the Hasselbecks, the portal is closed for teams that have not had coaching changes (I think, correct me if wrong) so I think that ship has sailed ... at least for now. I also do not think AH would leave at this point in her career. She is and will continue to get minutes ... these are all straight attack and defensive transfers.
Last edited by LILAXRAT on Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LILAXRAT wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:16 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:34 pm BC picks up their 3rd AA transfer. Clarke from UVA.
In my eyes BC just went from having an outside chance at Memorial Day weekend to a team with a strong chance to make the final 4 (when LoPinto was added) to a team that could very be back in the championship game (with Clarke). You never know what will actually happen, but BC is back in my top 5, if not top 2. They have arguably the 3 best attackers in the junior class. LoPinto & Davis low. Clarke & Martello up top. Smith & Weeks (did I hear Cassidy is coming back?. This team is loaded again.
Cass Weeks (coming back), Smith, Smith and Reynolds at middie Dont forget great 4 defenders - Scales, Roman, Bakes and AA Florida transfer - with Dolce in goal.
Is Schleicher coming back? Or Taglich? Sprinkle in some freshman and this team has depth

Schleicher and Taglich are both moving on from lacrosse, I believe Ryan Smith and Cassidy are the only two postgraduate returners. This BC team is going to be shaken up this fall ... but they will be good. As for the Hasselbecks, the portal is closed for teams that have not had coaching changes (I think, correct me if wrong) so I think that ship has sailed ... at least for now. I also do not think AH would leave at this point in her career. She is and will continue to get minutes ... these are all straight attack and defensive transfers.

Why do people care about the Hasselbecks? they both suck, everyone is aware of this. MH is the most overrated #1 recruit of all time. AWW is obsessed w anyone who has money or fame. they wouldn't play anywhere else. Theres like several girls on the bench and that have quit or transferred that are way better than them.
Wow - that is a helluva first post!
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Why do people care about the Hasselbecks? they both suck, everyone is aware of this. MH is the most overrated #1 recruit of all time. AWW is obsessed w anyone who has money or fame. they wouldn't play anywhere else. Theres like several girls on the bench and that have quit or transferred that are way better than them.
Looks like they tried to delete, but you memorialized it before they could.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

cltlax wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:09 pm

The internet is forever :)
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:46 pm
cltlax wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:09 pm

The internet is forever :)
Almost seems like a provoking post looking for some
Back and forth Otherwise just a tool
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Certain programs are gaining reputations that will be considered during recruiting. If a kid is being recruited to both UNC and BC, does transfer portal activity factor in? Depends on the kid and the surrounding circumstances. This is tough on the current players, but some of it will even out as recruits realize what they're getting into and choose to avoid certain coaches and situations. If BC doesn't win a natty after this type of offseason activity, it will be a really bad look.

On the other hand, how could you NOT go after transfers of LoPinto and Clarke's caliber? AWW may not have expected to land both or even either; was she supposed to say no thank you to one?
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:13 pm Certain programs are gaining reputations that will be considered during recruiting. If a kid is being recruited to both UNC and BC, does transfer portal activity factor in? Depends on the kid and the surrounding circumstances. This is tough on the current players, but some of it will even out as recruits realize what they're getting into and choose to avoid certain coaches and situations. If BC doesn't win a natty after this type of offseason activity, it will be a really bad look.

On the other hand, how could you NOT go after transfers of LoPinto and Clarke's caliber? AWW may not have expected to land both or even either; was she supposed to say no thank you to one?
I understand that an experienced high caliber player joining a team through the portal suddenly can displace an incumbent player who was hoping or expecting a starting position or significant playing time, but the same happens with incoming freshmen. So the portal adds to this phenomenon, but by no means creates it.
laxagainsthumanity

tothedraw wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:39 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:20 pm
Laxdad126 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:02 pm Are there no rules anymore that if you transfer in conference that you have to sit out a season?
The NCAA has no rules about that but conferences can. The ACC used to have an intraconference transfer rule requiring kids to sit out but they nixed it in 2021. For example, Ella Little transferred from UNC to Clemson last summer. Even before that, there were ways to get around it - Charlotte North competed at Duke in 2019 and BC in 2020. (Heard some rumors about how they got that done that were not great.)
Do tell lol.
Saying something is bad for your mental health seems to be quite the trump card these days.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Grabbing 2 AA attackers when BC lost Medjid and Cort Weeks and really did not see other players ready to step up and play at a consistently high level was a no brainer for AWW, and yes, she is shocked that she got both players. The fact that both players have 2 years left is a big bonus. It fills the BC pipeline after a few unexpected weak recruiting classes. BTW - this notion that coaches dont develop players is a bit silly. Coaches and players work year round, often 4 hours per day. Players also work and train on their own in the offseason. Some kids are just never ready for the big stage. It normally is not skill or stick work. It is decision making, consistency, lax IQ, knowing their role and playing well within the system that keeps many kids from ever getting meaningful playing time.
laxagainsthumanity

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:28 pm Grabbing 2 AA attackers when BC lost Medjid and Cort Weeks and really did not see other players ready to step up and play at a consistently high level was a no brainer for AWW, and yes, she is shocked that she got both players. The fact that both players have 2 years left is a big bonus. It fills the BC pipeline after a few unexpected weak recruiting classes. BTW - this notion that coaches dont develop players is a bit silly. Coaches and players work year round, often 4 hours per day. Players also work and train on their own in the offseason. Some kids are just never ready for the big stage. It normally is not skill or stick work. It is decision making, consistency, lax IQ, knowing their role and playing well within the system that keeps many kids from ever getting meaningful playing time.
Sure but some coaches are better at developing kids than others. IMO this is not AWW's strong suit. She's consistently had short benches for a long time despite highly ranked recruiting classes.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:24 pm
Laxdad126 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:02 pm Are there no rules anymore that if you transfer in conference that you have to sit out a season?
The NCAA has no rules about that but conferences can. The ACC used to have an intraconference transfer rule requiring kids to sit out but they nixed it in 2021. For example, Ella Little transferred from UNC to Clemson last summer. Even before that, there were ways to get around it - Charlotte North competed at Duke in 2019 and BC in 2020. (Heard some rumors about how they got that done that were not great.)
Do tell lol.
Saying something is bad for your mental health seems to be quite the trump card these days.
I don’t know anything about North’s time at Duke or how well she got along with teammates & other students, but being stuck in a place where you’re miserable can be isolating and is bad for your mental health.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

Do tell lol.
As it should be, mental health should be taken seriously. Seems there is some drama on the Duke team. College is hard enough, transferring from your dream school is even harder. Glad she got out, found a new dream and a natty.
laxagainsthumanity

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:52 pm
Do tell lol.
I don’t know anything about North’s time at Duke or how well she got along with teammates & other students, but being stuck in a place where you’re miserable can be isolating and is bad for your mental health.
Sure, and it's a great reason to transfer. Does that mean it gets you out of conference-wide rules? If so, presumably every athlete gets a pass, because they all have reasons they're unhappy.

FTR, CN is extremely funny and gregarious and was beloved by her Duke teammates, very social on campus, and outwardly passionate about the program, Duke, and Durham. Those within the program were very surprised when she decided to transfer and it was a lacrosse-driven decision. Was it a good one for her career? Absolutely. But claiming phantom mental health issues the same summer you lose a former teammate to suicide (transfer was already in progress when this happened so it wasn't a factor in the decision) is unsavory. Mental health should be taken seriously and people who exploit it prevent that from happening. All so that she wouldn't have to take a fifth year, which she did anyway due to Covid. Personally I don't have a strong opinion on the intraconference transfer rule, and like I said, she made the right decision not only for her lacrosse career but to set herself up for success after graduating, which is ultimately the point of college. Still kind of gross.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:26 pm
Do tell lol.
Sure, and it's a great reason to transfer. Does that mean it gets you out of conference-wide rules? If so, presumably every athlete gets a pass, because they all have reasons they're unhappy.

FTR, CN is extremely funny and gregarious and was beloved by her Duke teammates, very social on campus, and outwardly passionate about the program, Duke, and Durham. Those within the program were very surprised when she decided to transfer and it was a lacrosse-driven decision. Was it a good one for her career? Absolutely. But claiming phantom mental health issues the same summer you lose a former teammate to suicide (transfer was already in progress when this happened so it wasn't a factor in the decision) is unsavory. Mental health should be taken seriously and people who exploit it prevent that from happening. All so that she wouldn't have to take a fifth year, which she did anyway due to Covid. Personally I don't have a strong opinion on the intraconference transfer rule, and like I said, she made the right decision not only for her lacrosse career but to set herself up for success after graduating, which is ultimately the point of college. Still kind of gross.
This is untrue and inaccurate. I have no earthly idea what motivates a grown person to print this libelous filth about a female athlete who has grown the sport and who serves as a role model to so many young women. To my knowledge, this is the lowest, most personal attack on a female college athlete in the history of these boards. And that’s saying something.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Can Opener wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:32 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:26 pm
Do tell lol.

This is untrue and inaccurate. I have no earthly idea what motivates a grown person to print this libelous filth about a female athlete who has grown the sport and who serves as a role model to so many young women. To my knowledge, this is the lowest, most personal attack on a female college athlete in the history of these boards. And that’s saying something.
Yea you better have the entire playbook, Hilary’s emails, and know where that missing Malaysian Airlines plane is if you are going to make an accusation like that. You may want to walk that one back without some sort of legitimate evidence. Otherwise you are just sullying her name behind some anonymous username.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agreed, very nasty and completely out of line. Charolette must've taken away lah's favorite play toy (human or otherwise) at some point.
I don't like the transfer portal. Absolutely agree that players should have the option to enter and transfer but I don't like what it's done to college sports. Two AAs transferring to BC? Seems to be too much of it going on for my taste. You'll read a lot in the recruiting discussion about choosing the school for the school and not for the lacrosse, turns out that's a lot of nonsense in seemingly way too many cases. Nothing personal against you BC faithful but I hope AWW and BC fall flat on their face (unlikely, I know).
laxagainsthumanity

The more I think about the BC transfers, the more I think it's ridiculous to get upset about it. AWW would have been doing her program a disservice by not contacting all three of those players. She goes really hard after big recruits/transfers/grad transfers and certainly doesn't land all of them, but this year happened to nab probably 3 of the top 5. Any kid who commits to BC knows they may end up standing on the sideline, but they gamble on themselves or decide that competing for a national championship is better than starting elsewhere. They made their choices and now have to navigate the effects. I will say again that I don't see player development as a strength of AWW and I think bringing in transfers has been a crutch over the last several years. But she's a good recruiter and winning is winning.

As for CN, I'll remind you that everyone was shocked when she was declared eligible to compete in 2020 at the end of fall ball 2019, and no explanation was given as to why she received a waiver from the ACC. There were rumors months before that the BC compliance office had something up their sleeve. The mental health thing was what I heard they were planning to go with, and I learned some other things about CN that are too personal to discuss here that had nothing to do with Duke but perhaps gave some strength to her claims. I also know *for a fact* that the decision was driven by lacrosse and CN was otherwise pretty happy at Duke. In the grand scheme of shady things that happen in college athletics, this is far from a scandal. Conveying this information is not slanderous - stop with the pearl clutching. BC had just graduated about 8 starters including Apuzzo and needed CN to be available immediately, and can you really blame a 20-year-old for not wanting to sit around for a year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”