Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 44WeWantMore »

When two men in a business always agree, one of them is unnecessary.
- William Wrigley, Jr.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:35 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:05 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:52 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:40 pm
Hopfan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:28 pm https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 2109247489

Re-posting this item from the Coaching thread about Petro possibly moving to UNC as DC to highlight Chris misspelling his last name twice differently in this short post—it’s summer and he was heading to the beach, but I liked “Pietrolama”! 🦙
Very weird move.
What is weird about moving from Syracuse to Chapel Hill?
Former National Championship head coach, moving from a DC job (which he'd had only been 2 years) at one ACC program to the same job at another ACC program in the middle of summer? Strikes me as odd, but what do I know. His boys being at UNC does go a long way toward explaining it though.

We don't need to go over it again, but I still think Petro can be a very good head coach. Run a program, recruit, manage games, set culture, etc. And do it well. It's the actual coordination of a modern defense that I have questions about.
99% of Americans would choose to live in Chapel Hill over Syracuse, especially those nearing age 60. And his 2 kids are in Chapel Hill. What is weird about this move?
You could make the same comparison of choosing to live in Chapel Hill over the city of Baltimore. Phew..............
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:55 am Breschi and Petro are great friends so it will probably work - if true - but dynamic that strikes me is an assistant coach with 2 sons on the team - one that is projected to be a star.

The official Thank you for Caracciolo was posted to Insta/Twitter recently - still no Degnon
Tributes have been wonderful and seem to show the culture PM is building. The old regime would've just sent a note to IL around labor day about this stuff or left it to forum sleuths to see the changed rosters around columbus day.

HF16 seems to think we're loaded if degnon moves on.

Don't know if petro got rid of all of his hopkins shirts but might want to have those in a different crate so he doesn't wear one by accident given the color overlap.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:59 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:55 am Breschi and Petro are great friends so it will probably work - if true - but dynamic that strikes me is an assistant coach with 2 sons on the team - one that is projected to be a star.

The official Thank you for Caracciolo was posted to Insta/Twitter recently - still no Degnon
Tributes have been wonderful and seem to show the culture PM is building. The old regime would've just sent a note to IL around labor day about this stuff or left it to forum sleuths to see the changed rosters around columbus day.

HF16 seems to think we're loaded if degnon moves on.

Don't know if petro got rid of all of his hopkins shirts but might want to have those in a different crate so he doesn't wear one by accident given the color overlap.
"Loaded" is your word, not mine. What we have are options and flexibility:

- Collison
- Grimes
- Sorichetti
- Chauvette

A lot will depend on how quickly Sorichetti and/or Chauvette develop. If it's slower then you may need to bump one of the lefty middies down to attack. If they come on quick then you'd have the luxury of keeping the giant middies where they are, if that's what you want to do.

My thinking is that sooner rather than later it's going to be very difficult to keep Collison off the field for basically every offensive possession. 51 has made good points about not wanting to run the Sam Handley offense where everyone stands around and waits until Handley can sub on and initiate. So if you decide Collison needs to play every possession then he should probably just stay at attack as opposed to being a "midfielder" who constantly needs to be on the field in order for you to run the offense.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:18 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:39 pm I believe it speaks for itself. GG is very quiet on the sidelines. DP is very emotional.
ok. then i don't believe that he was unequivocally not a fan. not a problem, i was just clarifying.

You mischaracterized. I said not a “big fan”. I did not say he was not “a fan”.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:17 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:39 pm I believe it speaks for itself. GG is very quiet on the sidelines. DP is very emotional.
ok. then i don't believe that he was unequivocally not a fan. not a problem, i was just clarifying.

mmm, do we actually know that he didn't like (I changed the words!) Petro's emotion? Just because it wasn't his own personal style doesn't mean that he didn't appreciate, like, want it from his #1.

Or is that just a guess? More of a "it could be that he didn't like, was uncomfortable with, didn't want so much emotion on the sideline regardless of who it was coming from." could be
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:09 pm
My thinking is that sooner rather than later it's going to be very difficult to keep Collison off the field for basically every offensive possession. 51 has made good points about not wanting to run the Sam Handley offense where everyone stands around and waits until Handley can sub on and initiate. So if you decide Collison needs to play every possession then he should probably just stay at attack as opposed to being a "midfielder" who constantly needs to be on the field in order for you to run the offense.
Even if they move Collison to attack, they would still be able to run three midfields with talent to spare.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

For the record - I am somewhat conflicted about a Degnon return - I also don't see how they thread that needle with the 2019 Michigan game being the 8th game of the season or whatever - as I have said before - on the one hand 40 goal scorers with 30+ shot percentage from his shooting range don't grow on trees and he has been lauded as a great teammate and captain - on the other - there are "non strengths" to his game and I would hate to see this delay development of the kids you are going to need in '25. Despite what others think that want Hopkins to get every portal transfer in the universe - math is math - and in a competitive game 23-24 players play. Subtract 1 goalie - 2 FO men - 4 SSDMs - 4 Close - 2 LSMs - that's 10-11 offensive players max. And you already can name 4-6 that will play major roles - Angelus/Melendez/Collison/Grimes/Peshko and English - and now you have a) alot of options but b) we are not running 4 mid-field lines and switching up the attack every possession so you need playing time for these younger guys because 3 of the 6 on the first list are gone in '25 as would Degnon if the rabbit was pulled out of the hat.

This stuff about Petro seems silly to me BTW - whatever. Too much emotion? If GG didn't know what he was going to get in his defensive coordinator well then he really hasn't been paying attention. If you didn't think ol T-rex was going to prowl the sidelines yelling at his defense then I can't help you.
Could be a million reasons why DP is leaving Cuse and going to Carolina - I can think of a set of 2 reasons to begin with - wish him the best.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok, "not a big fan"? commented because you spoke for gait on his thoughts on his assistant.

i don't believe that it speaks for itself that a coach is "not a big fan" of a fellow coach being emotional or demonstrative just because he's not that way himself. he**, they may prefer it.

anyway, you floated that characterization out there, so i was just clarifying where it came from. not a big deal.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:56 pm And you already can name 4-6 that will play major roles - Angelus/Melendez/Collison/Grimes/Peshko and English - and now you have a) alot of options but b) we are not running 4 mid-field lines and switching up the attack every possession so you need playing time for these younger guys because 3 of the 6 on the first list are gone in '25 as would Degnon if the rabbit was pulled out of the hat.
Angelus/Melendez/Collison/Grimes/Peshko and English + McDermott +Evans + expanded role for Marquis + 3 freshman coming in.
That's at least 12 mouths you need to feed even if Degnon leaves.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:26 am
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:56 pm And you already can name 4-6 that will play major roles - Angelus/Melendez/Collison/Grimes/Peshko and English - and now you have a) alot of options but b) we are not running 4 mid-field lines and switching up the attack every possession so you need playing time for these younger guys because 3 of the 6 on the first list are gone in '25 as would Degnon if the rabbit was pulled out of the hat.
Angelus/Melendez/Collison/Grimes/Peshko and English + McDermott +Evans + expanded role for Marquis + 3 freshman coming in.
That's at least 12 mouths you need to feed even if Degnon leaves.
Grimes and Peshko haven't proven anything in 3 years other than the fact "they have ceilings" they haven't been able to consistently hit. Evans and McDermott to me are 2nd line rotation guys at best. English is still a rising sophomore. We'll see how Collisons development goes. Marquis did not impress in limited action. Other than Melendez and Angelus it's a group with more questions (although the juniors offensive players I think answered they can't get this team to memorial day weekend last year) than 90 percent of you want to admit and you don't have brother mazzone, hawley and trusty narewski to help generate possessions this year.

Lots of mouths, few reliable.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:08 pm

mmm, do we actually know that he didn't like (I changed the words!) Petro's emotion? Just because it wasn't his own personal style doesn't mean that he didn't appreciate, like, want it from his #1.

Or is that just a guess? More of a "it could be that he didn't like, was uncomfortable with, didn't want so much emotion on the sideline regardless of who it was coming from." could be
... I have nothing but my eyes and have often wondered about the game time relationship between the two. I have often thought what OC is saying was the case, just observing from a distance.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:32 am Grimes and Peshko haven't proven anything in 3 years other than the fact "they have ceilings" they haven't been able to consistently hit. Evans and McDermott to me are 2nd line rotation guys at best. English is still a rising sophomore. We'll see how Collisons development goes. Marquis did not impress in limited action. Other than Melendez and Angelus it's a group with more questions (although the juniors offensive players I think answered they can't get this team to memorial day weekend last year) than 90 percent of you want to admit and you don't have brother mazzone, hawley and trusty narewski to help generate possessions this year.

Lots of mouths, few reliable.
Wow - lunacy - even worse adjectives come to mind. "We'll see how Collison's Development Goes." WHAT??? Stats please
26 Goals 9 Assists 80 shots 33% Shot - 9 gbs 16 tos - I pulled another Hopkins freshmen year midfielder stats and came up with
23 goals 14 assists 69 shots 33% shot - 22 gbs tos not published - yes those are Rabil's - I am NOT repeat NOT saying Collison is Rabil - but he's clearly in country as they say - how about these freshmen stats
28 goals 10 assists - 83 shots - 33% Shot - 31 gbs - 17 tos - those are Tinney's. The only incredibly different statistic - other than '05 and '15 were loaded teams - is the ground ball stat - probably influenced by Rabil and Tinney on the wings at times. Collison can stay IMO.

Why are Mazzone/Hawley and Narewski so praised for the face-off possession work when the face-off percentage for the team was BELOW 50%? In the quarterfinals - Hopkins had an 11-2 face-off advantage in the first half - only won 5 of the remaining 11 the rest of the game. Goalie position made 3 saves in the last 45 minutes - that might have had something to do with it not making it to Philly - rather than what Grimes/McDermott or Evans did or didn't do - Peshko scored twice - was that OK? Marquis - he played in 4 games - got a cup of coffee on man-up at the end - so sorry he didn't impress you.

For once I agree with part of a black hole statement - there are alot of mouths - it's just a mistake to think they are all going to get fed next year - either some baby birds will need to be patient or some older birds will be ticked.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays have good depth on O and some proven scorers.

Even so, I think the Blue Jays could still use some additional scoring punch, especially from the midfield. Whether that comes from a transfer, incoming freshmen, or a returning player kicking his game into a higher gear, remains to be seen.

Degnon’s production won’t be easy to replace and the Blue Jays need to improve their O if they want to seriously compete for a national championship.

The D is good enough to win a national championship, but still need some improvement in goalie play and FOs. Hopkins is close to being a championship-caliber team, but not quite there yet.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:58 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:08 pm

... I have nothing but my eyes and have often wondered about the game time relationship between the two. I have often thought what OC is saying was the case, just observing from a distance.
Definitely would make one wonder.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Koleton Marquis, Orangeville playoff opener is live free on youtube,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHZHu7EJnc
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I saw Marquis scored one goal in an apparent workmanlike effort from the undefeated Northmen. 2024 will be a key year for him IMO with Hopkins. Frankly - unless he makes a leap to play more mid-field there's not a role - other than maybe this late season PT on man-up - that jumps out at you for him to see the field. You can hang your hat on the "positionless" terminology all you want - but Angelus and Melendez are never leaving the field - and there are at least 4 candidates for that non existent position of left handed shooter - and if they pulled off the miracle of Degnon - then that non existent position is locked.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:04 am I saw Marquis scored one goal in an apparent workmanlike effort from the undefeated Northmen. 2024 will be a key year for him IMO with Hopkins. Frankly - unless he makes a leap to play more mid-field there's not a role - other than maybe this late season PT on man-up - that jumps out at you for him to see the field. You can hang your hat on the "positionless" terminology all you want - but Angelus and Melendez are never leaving the field - and there are at least 4 candidates for that non existent position of left handed shooter - and if they pulled off the miracle of Degnon - then that non existent position is locked.
My guess is that he's a fixture on EMO and gets some spot play otherwise. With his stick work, field vision, and feeding (along with decent/ accurate shooting), you could see him playing a role similar to Chris Boland in Benson's EMOs. Otherwise I think Angelus' presence limits his minutes, but you could see him slotting into that role in '25.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Marquis is going to start in 2025, which I think he should, it’d make a lot of sense to me to get him some runs from the midfield this upcoming spring, just for more reps. Thanks to his box background I think he’d hold up much better there than most converted attackmen. Kid’s tough and can get back to play D in a pinch. They’d be smart to carve out a meaningful role for him this year.

I am curious to see how they deploy Aviles too. He was pouring in goals from range at the world championships this summer. Clearly has some offensive chops. I could see him in a Brian Tevlin type role where he’s playing both ends of the field quite a bit. He offers more in transition than most of the other d-mids, although Cuse didn’t really use him much in that capacity. Maybe one reason for the transfer.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Orangeville / Marquis is on again for game 2 of OJLL playoffs,
free youtube,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=feuzCBg315s

_______

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”