NEW RULE PROPOSALS

D1 Womens Lacrosse
GratefulRed

Re: NEW RULE PROPOSALS

Post by GratefulRed »

Agreed--way too radical and (mostly) not in the name of safety, despite the claims.

Does anyone know if the NCAA votes up/down on the entire package? Or can they decide on each rule line by line?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Can we get names as to WHO is deciding this issue? Why is this so difficult to find out?
urgettingwhatuaxed4

Post by urgettingwhatuaxed4 »

Want to make the game safer? Put a fourth referee on the field.
womenlaxfan

Post by womenlaxfan »

First Post. Can't believe they are talking about reducing number of players on field. Here is a thought - you want to make game safer, get the 6 year Covid girls off the field playing against 18 and 19 year old teenagers. Let them play against other women in the professional league.

In any event, my understanding is this goes to the NCAA "Playing Rules Oversight Panel". Here is a link to their site. In that link is the "roster" of the 12 members who will decide. If you look at the June minutes they mention the next meeting 7/19 at 1pm. Not sure they are rubber stamp or not. A little concerning that they may just take the recommendation believing it represents the majority opinion of women college lacrosse and not what feels like a very loud and influential minority.

Of the 6 D1 reps, 3 are from conferences that have women lacrosse. One from ACC (Virginia), Patriot & CAA. The other 3 from Sun Belt, SEC and America East - which I don't think are women lacrosse leagues? Hopefully coaches against these rules changes are lobbying against them. Maybe fans should lobby as well?

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/18/ ... panel.aspx
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

womenlaxfan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:35 am First Post. Can't believe they are talking about reducing number of players on field. Here is a thought - you want to make game safer, get the 6 year Covid girls off the field playing against 18 and 19 year old teenagers. Let them play against other women in the professional league.

I think that’s a completely unfair comment and will be irrelevant after this year anyway. The fact that the player who checked Everson was a grad student was pure chance. Moreover if you watched the footage, that was not a particularly aggressive check. It wasn’t even penalized, though perhaps it might have been. Show me anything that suggests that having the Covid year has increased physicality…other than “they are older and stronger and more mature” which has zero demonstrated correlation with injuries in women’s lacrosse.

I am against the rule changes largely because (1) I don’t believe there’s statistically significant analysis to support the claim that fewer players in the 8 meter will reduce injuries. It might or it might not. And (2) the sport doesn’t need contraction in roster spots and opportunities. 6 v 6 may well be a more exciting game given more space and lanes, but I don’t think that’s enough of a reason to make such a dramatic change.

We need better refs, tighter calls, more cards and therefore more ejections. If that happens, coaches will stop encouraging their players to play too physically.

My opinion….
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

It’s unbelievable that such a massive change can be voted on without major input from all. But here we go. Small comfort to thousands of girls who will no longer get to play under a misguided claim of safety. Small comfort to the added concussions when slides come late and with sticks flying. Gonna be a blast to watch 26-20 games that take 3.5 hours
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Other than that, I agree with your first post!
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Wait. Do the committee deciding this is all men except 2 and no one that appears affiliated with wlax AT ALL? Please tell me that can’t be possible.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

lax410

Post by lax410 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:35 pm Anyone know what this is about?

https://twitter.com/IWLCA/status/1678444732395974656
It doesn’t look like the head of IWLCA is a fan of the rules
proposal based on her twitter.
masshole7

Post by masshole7 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:21 pm
womenlaxfan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:35 am First Post. Can't believe they are talking about reducing number of players on field. Here is a thought - you want to make game safer, get the 6 year Covid girls off the field playing against 18 and 19 year old teenagers. Let them play against other women in the professional league.

I think that’s a completely unfair comment and will be irrelevant after this year anyway. The fact that the player who checked Everson was a grad student was pure chance. Moreover if you watched the footage, that was not a particularly aggressive check. It wasn’t even penalized, though perhaps it might have been. Show me anything that suggests that having the Covid year has increased physicality…other than “they are older and stronger and more mature” which has zero demonstrated correlation with injuries in women’s lacrosse.

I am against the rule changes largely because (1) I don’t believe there’s statistically significant analysis to support the claim that fewer players in the 8 meter will reduce injuries. It might or it might not. And (2) the sport doesn’t need contraction in roster spots and opportunities. 6 v 6 may well be a more exciting game given more space and lanes, but I don’t think that’s enough of a reason to make such a dramatic change.

We need better refs, tighter calls, more cards and therefore more ejections. If that happens, coaches will stop encouraging their players to play too physically.

My opinion….
The Everson situation was an unfortunate freak accident. I really do not think any of these proposed rules would have prevented the Everson injury. I believe that it was mentioned in an early article that similar situations happened with girls at Boston College, curious as to who and what their perspective is.
masshole7

Post by masshole7 »

Also would like to note that I have been a quiet observer of this forum for a long time now, just deciding to give things a go here.

Everyone's favorite troll posted today quoting an alleged "ACC active roster player" would love to know more details on this situation. Her thoughts are interesting and I am interested in hearing the perspectives of others here.
masshole7

Post by masshole7 »

masshole7 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:12 pm Also would like to note that I have been a quiet observer of this forum for a long time now, just deciding to give things a go here.

Everyone's favorite troll posted today quoting an alleged "ACC active roster player" would love to know more details on this situation. Her thoughts are interesting and I am interested in hearing the perspectives of others here.
Also here is the tweet for context
https://twitter.com/wlaxnut/status/1678367713926819840
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

masshole7 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:13 pm
masshole7 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:12 pm Also would like to note that I have been a quiet observer of this forum for a long time now, just deciding to give things a go here.

I have been blocked by the WLax nut on twitter...can you snip it here or send me a PM?
masshole7

Post by masshole7 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:16 pm

I have been blocked by the WLax nut on twitter...can you snip it here or send me a PM?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.11.13 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.11.13 PM.jpg (91.37 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

masshole7 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:21 pm

Cant disagree with the attributed statements...just hard to believe that a college player would "reach out" to him. More likely, the other way around...
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

I haven’t heard any college player think removing a player is a positive. Because it’s not.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:28 pm

Cant disagree with the attributed statements...just hard to believe that a college player would "reach out" to him. More likely, the other way around...
Nothing about the supposed college player’s statement seem that off-base - I assume most players agree and don’t want the rules changed. But that statement doesn’t read to me the language of a 19-22 year old kid. Particularly the phrase “isn’t going to do squat.” That’s not something I’ve heard my kids’ say, but it does sound like something an adult would say. I could be wrong. Just seems odd.

On the other hand, wlaxnut seems like a fan of the Everson family’s mission to change the rules so who knows.

I hope if this really is a player who wants to be heard she sends her statement somewhere more useful than this random person on Twitter.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Laxfan212 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:46 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:28 pm

Nothing about the supposed college player’s statement seem that off-base - I assume most players agree and don’t want the rules changed. But that statement doesn’t read to me the language of a 19-22 year old kid. Particularly the phrase “isn’t going to do squat.” That’s not something I’ve heard my kids’ say, but it does sound like something an adult would say. I could be wrong. Just seems odd.

On the other hand, wlaxnut seems like a fan of the Everson family’s mission to change the rules so who knows.

I hope if this really is a player who wants to be heard she sends her statement somewhere more useful than this random person on Twitter.
I thought the same thing about the same line. I can't imagine a college kid saying "squat".
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Just realized I have also been blocked. I was wondering why it was so quiet.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”