Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Religion in America

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:48 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:04 am
... can't be, I have it on good (ultimate authority), the earth is only 6000 years old. ;)

CNN Interview of researcher.
You sure you are a hop fan? That really limits the number of titles their fans can claim.
:lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:01 am
I still crack up at the one where he’s singing at a bar and gets customers into it when his refrain is “kill all the jews”. I’m starting to think I’m some places the baseline is mentally deficient and we have to work from standard deviations off that.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Southern Baptist Convention Meeting to Review Expulsion of Churches

Response to sexual abuse and question of female pastors will be in spotlight

Adolfo FloresJune 11, 2023 8:00 am ET

Church officials’ response to sexual abuse and the question of whether women can be pastors will take center stage at the Southern Baptist Convention’s annual meeting in New Orleans this week.

Messengers, as representatives from thousands of Southern Baptist churches are called, will vote on whether to sustain the convention’s executive-committee decision to expel some churches from the denomination because they had women serving as pastors. This year’s election for president is being seen as a referendum on the denomination’s efforts over the past year to hold abusers accountable and protect members of the church.

In February, the Southern Baptist Convention removed, or “disfellowshipped,” five churches, including Saddleback Church, the California megachurch founded by the evangelical pastor Rick Warren. It deemed them “not in friendly cooperation” with the denomination, which officially opposes women as pastors. After Warren retired last year, Saddleback Church selected Andy Wood as its lead pastor, and his wife, Stacie Wood, became a teaching pastor.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

The Southern Baptist Convention credentials committee said it received appeals from Fern Creek Baptist Church in Louisville, Ky., as well as Saddleback in Lake Forest, Calif., one of the largest SBC churches. Another church, Freedom Church in Vero Beach, Fla., was removed by the SBC over its treatment of an allegation of sexual abuse and said it was planning to appeal at the annual meeting.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Should women be able to serve with the title of pastor in Southern Baptist churches? Join the conversation below.

The SBC, with roughly 13.2 million members, has according to Lifeway Research been losing members in recent years.

The convention cited its 2000 adopted statement of faith in its notices to churches being disfellowshipped, which said, “While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture.”

Stacie Wood declined to comment on the Saddleback appeal.

Fern Creek Baptist Church Pastor Linda Popham said her church adheres to the 1963 Baptist Faith and Message, a summary of the faith, which she said doesn’t limit who preaches.

“The way I read it, the way our church reads it, yes, we believe that the Scripture allows for” women to be pastors, Popham said.

Popham, who for more than 30 years has been pastor of Fern Creek Baptist Church, said she wonders why it is only now that the convention is seeking to expel her church, which has about 150 to 175 people attending weekly.

“Some of this I personally believe has been to redirect the attention away from the sexual abuse that has gone on,” Popham said.

Messengers will vote on whether to approve the continuation of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Abuse Reform Implementation Task Force, which has to be renewed each year. The task force is expected to present a database it has been developing over the past year of pastors, denominational workers, ministry employees and volunteers who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse.

To be included in the database, persons would have to have been convicted of sexual abuse, had a civil judgment entered against them for abuse or have confessed to the crime. Someone can also be included in the database if an independent investigator commissioned by a church finds the accusations credible.

Newsletter Sign-up

What’s News

Catch up on the headlines, understand the news and make better decisions, free in your inbox every day.

This year’s presidential election is contested. Bart Barber, the sitting president, is being challenged for a second term by an opponent who has questioned aspects of the database. Barber didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Mike Stone, pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church in Blackshear, Ga., announced his challenge for the SBC presidency earlier this year. Stone said he sought the nomination, in part, because an audit of the SBC executive committee found that it was on an unsustainable financial trajectory. The troubling finances, Stone said, are part of an overall decline in the number of members and churches that he said he would rectify through an evangelistic outreach initiative that he calls Crossover America and said would focus on churches being “on mission in their local communities.”

Stone opposes including people in the database who haven’t been convicted or confessed, prompting concern that his presidency could thwart the progress made on the problem of abuse.

“I have been and remain in favor of a database of the convicted and confessed,” Stone said. “I do not support a database of people who have been accused.”

Marshall Blalock, a South Carolina pastor and chair of the Abuse Reform Implementation Task Force, said Stone’s comment misrepresents who would be included in the category of “credibly accused” of sexual assault.

An independent investigation would be conducted by a licensed and certified firm that would use civil-court standards to look into the allegations, Blalock said. If investigators find the allegations credible, they would send the report to the ministry check site for a legal review, and Christian attorneys working with the SBC would ensure the investigation was done correctly. The accused would be notified and allowed to appeal before that name is added to the database.

No names will be included in the database when the task force presents the website this week, Blalock said, because members want to ensure that those who have been convicted aren’t currently appealing or had their convictions reversed. There is no time frame for when the database will be populated with names.

“It’s still not in place yet because we’re still working through all the standards, all the procedures to guarantee that the information is accurate and that people can trust what’s on the website,” Blalock said.

Mike McDonnell, a spokesman for the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said failing to publish a database with names is kicking the can down the road and delaying accountability, which he said is particularly troubling given that the task force could be dissolved at any time in coming years.

“We’ve seen it certainly in other faith communities where they’ll put on a good show and often display that they’re taking significant measures when really it’s just a showpiece,” McDonnell said.

Write to Adolfo Flores at [email protected]

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

SBC just committed suicide! The vote was about 85% in favor. They confirmed that SBC woman are second class members! They also expelled the largest church in the system, Saddleback in CA along with 4 other member churches that had women pastors. Their international membership has been in decline for the past few decades, led by US membership. They have now locked in the trend. They sure did get over on the libs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who needs atheists with these morons at the wheel? :lol: :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:20 pm SBC just committed suicide! The vote was about 85% in favor. They confirmed that SBC woman are second class members! They also expelled the largest church in the system, Saddleback in CA along with 4 other member churches that had women pastors. Their international membership has been in decline for the past few decades, led by US membership. They have now locked in the trend. They sure did get over on the libs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who needs atheists with these morons at the wheel? :lol: :lol:
Are you praying for them?? :D :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The United Methodist Church is now splitting over the LGBQT issue. They have lost more than 4000 US congregations in the last 30 days. Previously they had lost more than 2000 over the previous 4 years. To date they have lost 20% of their US congregations. Congregations can leave over the next 25 days under a financial agreement reached 4 years ago (2019). The congregations leaving are opposed to LGBQTs and are mostly located in the south and midwest. UMC is setting up "lighthouse" congregations in the areas where congregations are leaving. The lighthouses will collect members who are leaving there old congregations over the LGBQT issue

The congregations leaving are forming a new church, the Global Methodist Church. Only about half of the congregations leaving have joined the GMC. It is not expected that all will join, many will likely remain independent.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:48 pm The United Methodist Church is now splitting over the LGBQT issue. They have lost more than 4000 US congregations in the last 30 days. Previously they had lost more than 2000 over the previous 4 years. To date they have lost a little 20% of their US congregations. Congregations can leave over the next 25 days under a financial agreement reached 4 years ago (2019). The congregations leaving are opposed to LGBQTs.
Seeing more and more non-denominational / expository churches popping up all over the US. And it is hard to track those numbers.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sound of Freedom: Is God giving Disney the Heisman? https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/sta ... 61249?s=20

BTW - went to see the movie on 4-July. Certainly a must see.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:52 pm Sound of Freedom: Is God giving Disney the Heisman? https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/sta ... 61249?s=20

I thought this movie was about child trafficking? Why did you put this under "religion in America"?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:52 pm Sound of Freedom: Is God giving Disney the Heisman? https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/sta ... 61249?s=20

I thought this movie was about child trafficking? Why did you put this under "religion in America"?
Long way around, but yes, you are correct about the premise.

Significant parallels with Religion and Faith all around WRT the film, while going up against Disney and an all time series with Harrison Ford.

~ Tim Ballard (story based off him) and his wife are devout believers in Faith. Attended BYU
~ Jim Caviezel is no doubt a devout practicing Catholic. He should be dead, struck by lightening and injured badly while filming Passion of Christ. Great Podcast with him on The Shawn Ryan Show that explain much of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qZ7QfKcjg
~ You''ll be shocked to learn Glenn Beck fronted the money to Tim Ballard after he walked away from the Homeland Security to catch the pedophile ring. It's not noted in the movie that it was GB.
~ The Production Company is a Faith/Religion based company, Angel Studios
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:49 pm

Significant parallels with Religion and Faith all around WRT the film, while going up against Disney and an all time series with Harrison Ford.

~ Tim Ballard (story based off him) and his wife are devout believers in Faith. Attended BYU
~ Jim Caviezel is no doubt a devout practicing Catholic. He should be dead, struck by lightening and injured badly while filming Passion of Christ. Great Podcast with him on The Shawn Ryan Show that explain much of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qZ7QfKcjg
~ You''ll be shocked to learn Glenn Beck fronted the money to Tim Ballard after he walked away from the Homeland Security to catch the pedophile ring. It's not noted in the movie that it was GB.
Ah, got it. Thanks.

Understanding that..... Fox is pitching this as us/them with Disney, and for me, that's gross. Shut up and focus on the movie.....which seems to be Caviezel's sentiment in the interview.

Not sure I have the stomach for this movie....for you, was it hard to watch?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:55 pm

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Understanding that..... Fox is pitching this as us/them with Disney, and for me, that's gross. Shut up and focus on the movie.....which seems to be Caviezel's sentiment in the interview.

In the first 10-15 minutes I was saying to myself..... if this continues, I am going to half to walk out, then it pivots to a 'I'm going after these MFers' and those earlier strong emotions subside. They put this film together really well. And the majority of it is very close to what really went down.

I sent a text to my boys the next day, after the eldest had also seen the film, and told them this is why "dad' was always so 'locked in' and on high alert whenever we went anywhere with crowds.....my eldest son replied, 'thank you, dad'.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:26 pm Ah, got it. Thanks.

In the first 10-15 minutes I was saying to myself..... if this continues, I am going to half to walk out, then it pivots to a 'I'm going after these MFers' and those earlier strong emotions subside. They put this film together really well. And the majority of it is very close to what really went down.[/quote]Got it. Thanks.
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:26 pm I sent a text to my boys the next day, after the eldest had also seen the film, and told them this is why "dad' was always so 'locked in' and on high alert whenever we went anywhere with crowds.....my eldest son replied, 'thank you, dad'.
+1000. High alert.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Ah, got it. Thanks.

... it is right wing bullsh*t. For the past couple days all I have seen in the right wing media is "What's wrong with Disney?", "No one is going to see the latest Disney movies", "Go woke go broke". The right wing is losing, they have nothing and they try this stupid bullsh*t.

I was just watching the Orioles post game show and decided to see what the truth was re movie attendance, so I pulled up the weekly box office numbers for this past weekend. Disney had 4 of the top 10 highest weekend grossing movies (last weekend). #1 Indiana Jones / #2 Elemental / #7 The Little Mermaid / #10 Guardians of the Galaxy 3. These 4 movies had grossed $780 million through last weekend. $60 million of that Indiana Jones which opened over the weekend and is on track to make about a half billion over its first 8 weeks. Yup, Disney is going broke. :lol: :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:57 pm ... it is right wing bullsh*t. For the past couple days all I have seen in the right wing media is "What's wrong with Disney?", "No one is going to see the latest Disney movies", "Go woke go broke". The right wing is losing, they have nothing and they try this stupid bullsh*t.

I was just watching the Orioles post game show and decided to see what the truth was re movie attendance, so I pulled up the weekly box office numbers for this past weekend. Disney had 4 of the top 10 highest weekend grossing movies (last weekend). #1 Indiana Jones / #2 Elemental / #7 The Little Mermaid / #10 Guardians of the Galaxy 3. These 4 movies had grossed $780 million through last weekend. $60 million of that Indiana Jones which opened over the weekend and is on track to make about a half billion over its first 8 weeks. Yup, Disney is going broke.
Go check their stock.....their last handful of films have lost money, upwards of 900 mill. On a more subtle note... more and more people are seeing the shenanigans in their films and advertising. Yes, subliminal messages have been all over advertising for ever, but when adults are seeing more and more if from a business that prides itself on being here for the children....well, let people tell you who they really are, and believe them.

We get it, you will do anything to dismiss Faith and Religion, but I believe if you at your core, you know what they are doing is wrong.

See any parallels in this Pinocchio clip?

~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:57 pm

Ah, got it. Thanks.

... it is right wing bullsh*t. For the past couple days all I have seen in the right wing media is "What's wrong with Disney?", "No one is going to see the latest Disney movies", "Go woke go broke". The right wing is losing, they have nothing and they try this stupid bullsh*t.

I was just watching the Orioles post game show and decided to see what the truth was re movie attendance, so I pulled up the weekly box office numbers for this past weekend. Disney had 4 of the top 10 highest weekend grossing movies (last weekend). #1 Indiana Jones / #2 Elemental / #7 The Little Mermaid / #10 Guardians of the Galaxy 3. These 4 movies had grossed $780 million through last weekend. $60 million of that Indiana Jones which opened over the weekend and is on track to make about a half billion over its first 8 weeks. Yup, Disney is going broke. :lol: :lol:
I was unaware of this faux controversy, but just scrolled through the comments on the link youth provided. Such whack jobs.

Serious issue, but this QAnon garbage is just that.

The attack on Disney is just so stupid.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:14 am

Ah, got it. Thanks.

I was unaware of this faux controversy, but just scrolled through the comments on the link youth provided. Such whack jobs.

Or at least now this current focus/attack. There’s plenty of reasons from song of the south to the whole primogeniture floor under the Lion King to other issues that could’ve been brought up anytime prior to the last decade in the 40-50yrs before but only now it’s coming up which is “convenient” or we’re talking about the slowest learners of all living creatures in the planets existence.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:14 am

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Or at least now this current focus/attack. There’s plenty of reasons from song of the south to the whole primogeniture floor under the Lion King to other issues that could’ve been brought up anytime prior to the last decade in the 40-50yrs before but only now it’s coming up which is “convenient” or we’re talking about the slowest learners of all living creatures in the planets existence.
yup.

Return to “POLITICS”