Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by wgdsr »

Formerhound wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 pm
Asgot wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:05 pm
Creasedive wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:09 pm 11 to Rutgers is an embarrassment. Get a coach that can develop the players he recruited from high school.
When you can upgrade with established players why wouldn’t you. They improved at the attack, d-middie, defense and faceoff all areas of need and they did it with solid guys. This is the new world order and you have to do whatever it takes to win. Rutgers is struggling in the recruiting game so they go to the transfer portal
well, that sure implies that "struggling" is an understatement...
3 years ago Rutgers had a great recruiting class. Then they started bringing in transfers. The same coach that recruited these kids, that told them they’d play, that got them to commit there instead of another program are still waiting to play due to constant transfers. One good year. The rest have been bust years. What kind of street cred can that coach now have (or have had in past two years)? Good players see what’s going on. They know kids that were made promises. They’ve seen their friends sit for three years. No way I’d want my kid (whenever I have one) to play for that kind of coach. Same with Georgetown. Great school. Great education. Kids chose those schools because of education AND lax. They only got 50%.
- pretty much everyone knows, or should, that there could be consequences for heavy portal. including the coaches.
- you typically sign for a year at a time aid if you even get that.
- everything else is on the table.
- anyone that commits to a school for promises particularly like pt owns some of that and probably gets a good life lesson.
- coaches that are selling it wrong will get theirs.
- at a minimum, programs will need to adjust as the environment and their options change. that means everybody, so it will include rutgers also a year and 5 from now.
Crease Crank

Post by Crease Crank »

Formerhound wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 pm
Creasedive wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:09 pm 11 to Rutgers is an embarrassment. Get a coach that can develop the players he recruited from high school.
When you can upgrade with established players why wouldn’t you. They improved at the attack, d-middie, defense and faceoff all areas of need and they did it with solid guys. This is the new world order and you have to do whatever it takes to win. Rutgers is struggling in the recruiting game so they go to the transfer portal

well, that sure implies that "struggling" is an understatement...
3 years ago Rutgers had a great recruiting class. Then they started bringing in transfers. The same coach that recruited these kids, that told them they’d play, that got them to commit there instead of another program are still waiting to play due to constant transfers. One good year. The rest have been bust years. What kind of street cred can that coach now have (or have had in past two years)? Good players see what’s going on. They know kids that were made promises. They’ve seen their friends sit for three years. No way I’d want my kid (whenever I have one) to play for that kind of coach. Same with Georgetown. Great school. Great education. Kids chose those schools because of education AND lax. They only got 50%.
Probably why their top recruit from the ‘21 class transferred. RU says, lets just bring in transfers from lower level divisions to play rather than develop our own. I’m guessing there were promises made that cost the team large last season. Will be interesting to watch what plays out the next couple seasons on the banks.
Crease Crank

Post by Crease Crank »

Still TBD to know if they upgraded. They lost a 1st team AA LSM in Rall, Cameron at attack proved to be the juice on offense, Russo at close was as solid and consistent as any other D1 defender, Dugenio had his best year. Bold statement saying the transfers are an upgrade to this years squad when they haven’t played a game.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Crease Crank wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:33 pm
Still TBD to know if they upgraded. They lost a 1st team AA LSM in Rall, Cameron at attack proved to be the juice on offense, Russo at close was as solid and consistent as any other D1 defender, Dugenio had his best year. Bold statement saying the transfers are an upgrade to this years squad when they haven’t played a game.
Hope springs eternal, CC.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Sorry, did not mean to imply that the transfers were upgrades over the kids the lost but an upgrade over the group that was returning . I think they have a solid nucleus of players but if you can inject talent with those kids while allowing the young players to get experience seems like a no brained to me.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Sorry, did not mean to imply that the transfers were upgrades over the kids the lost but an upgrade over the group that was returning . I think they have a solid nucleus of players but if you can inject talent with those kids while allowing the young players to get experience seems like a no brained to me.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Asgot wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:48 pm
How does bringing in 11 transfers allow the young guys to get experience? Wait. In two years, after the COVID Five are over, Rutgers ends up in last place in Big10.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Why so much talk about RU, who’s had success in the portal and not the 8 going to traditional power Syracuse?
Soldierdad

Post by Soldierdad »

Of course any Coach (Brect, Myers, Galloway) that has sold their soul to the devil will pay a price down the road. They may have a few additional hollow wins in the short term but they have been exposed for what they are.
Very low character, no talent pathetic human beings who have so publicly admitted they can’t compete without going this cowardly route.
No idea how they can even look themselves in the mirror let alone look their recruits and families in the eye.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Perhaps Rutgers cab find a BOB NASO clone.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:54 pm Why so much talk about RU, who’s had success in the portal and not the 8 going to traditional power Syracuse?
Pretty simple. Gait is entering his third year as coach for the Orange, his first recruiting class in entering their freshmen year. Desko brought in a great class in 2020 but the years prior that were pretty shallow. Gait is trying to make up for his predecessor. Brect doesn’t have that excuse.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Soldierdad wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:39 pm Of course any Coach (Brect, Myers, Galloway) that has sold their soul to the devil will pay a price down the road. They may have a few additional hollow wins in the short term but they have been exposed for what they are.
Very low character, no talent pathetic human beings who have so publicly admitted they can’t compete without going this cowardly route.
No idea how they can even look themselves in the mirror let alone look their recruits and families in the eye.
Very first post. Coming in hot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:19 pm
Soldierdad wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:39 pm Of course any Coach (Brect, Myers, Galloway) that has sold their soul to the devil will pay a price down the road. They may have a few additional hollow wins in the short term but they have been exposed for what they are.
Whit hot, like La Flama Blanca!

https://youtu.be/b8zO_DV09QE
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:00 pm
Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:54 pm Why so much talk about RU, who’s had success in the portal and not the 8 going to traditional power Syracuse?
Pretty simple. Gait is entering his third year as coach for the Orange, his first recruiting class in entering their freshmen year. Desko brought in a great class in 2020 but the years prior that were pretty shallow. Gait is trying to make up for his predecessor. Brect doesn’t have that excuse.
Not only that, but Syracuse used to be able to bolster their classes though OCC, but not recently. I was told here that the reason was that the coaching at OCC is not what it used to be. But, they still should have the institutional memory of how to integrate transfers effectively.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 am
Not only that, but Syracuse used to be able to bolster their classes though OCC, but not recently. I was told here that the reason was that the coaching at OCC is not what it used to be. But, they still should have the institutional memory of how to integrate transfers effectively.
We had to do something to slow Cuse down so we put a Hobart guy into the AD seat at OCC and let him do his magic!

https://onondagalazers.com/staff-direct ... el-borsz/1
lorin

Post by lorin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:15 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:19 pm
Whit hot, like La Flama Blanca!

https://youtu.be/b8zO_DV09QE
How did those 3 teams do last year? they sucked
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Like your comments.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 am
so basically Cuse has been building their program on transfers forever? that's what i'm getting out of this!
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

RE Rutgers or any other program using the portal………the best players play. If your 18-19 year old son isn't cutting it and is getting beat out by a 22 year old D3 All American who just transferred in, who would you play? Every school is using the portal as part of the recruiting process. Rutgers lost one guy who played last year to the portal so to those who posted about promises, you know nothing. Time will tell how this all plays out but the portal is here to stay until the NCAA changes that and that doesn't look like it is changing anytime soon. The portal and NIL is here to stay, the good and the bad of both.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:45 am RE Rutgers or any other program using the portal………the best players play. If your 18-19 year old son isn't cutting it and is getting beat out by a 22 year old D3 All American who just transferred in, who would you play? Every school is using the portal as part of the recruiting process. Rutgers lost one guy who played last year to the portal so to those who posted about promises, you know nothing. Time will tell how this all plays out but the portal is here to stay until the NCAA changes that and that doesn't look like it is changing anytime soon. The portal and NIL is here to stay, the good and the bad of both.
I really don't want to hear about teams like Rutgers, Jacksonville, etc. using the portal with the very top teams using it as well. The last 2 national champions used it and this year all of the ACC and Big 10 teams are as well. UVA already has multiple 5 star attackman on the roster/coming in next year, yet they go out a get the Tufts A transfer. They had the top 2022 FO man behind LaSala. He leaves are they get 2 top FO transfers. ND wins the NC this year and immediately announces 4 top transfers. One can go on and on. The bottom line is the inane COVID year ruling plus NIL changes the landscape, and any coach in his right mind will take advantage of the changed landscape.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”