2023 D3 Rumors

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MartineMooncakes

2023 D3 Rumors

Post by MartineMooncakes »

With the news of colleges being bought out, low enrollment, etc etc, I’m curious to see if anyone has any rumors on colleges adding lacrosse (or even previous schools attempting a comeback and adding it again), programs possibly dropping lacrosse, closing the school down, or even being bought out like Cabrini and Villanova.
Lastly, while not necessarily a rumor, I am curious to know if any Alums/fans of any programs who having fallen on hard times see a brighter future ahead or kinda accept where their program stands?
backerzone

Re: 2023 D3 Rumors

Post by backerzone »

For smaller tuition dependent schools in general the demographic cliff is tough to get around. I fear more schools will throw in the towel as institutions- not just athletically. No specifics known personally but I'm sure they are out there. And not everyone has a neighbor like Cabrini who can buy their campus.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

They have brought on their own demise. You can’t expect to continue to increase tuition at a rate much higher than inflation. Seriously, who realistically can afford these $50k, 75k, annual tuition costs. I know most of those rates get reduced dramatically, but why have such a high sticker price.

Cabrinis sticker price is almost 50k year. And I don’t think they are considered and elite academic institution.
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

this is always a good read to assess the health of schools: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawhitfo ... 22e8ed1097
Last edited by balderdash on Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

balderdash wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:33 am BSC is also done - correct? the state of Alabama did not bail them out?

this is always a good read to assess the health of schools: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawhitfo ... 22e8ed1097
The schools with a D grade are in pretty bad shape.
But some schools do make a major improvement from year to year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Jacksonville with a lower rating than Cabrini.
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

In terms of teams in the danger zone, there were several teams with rosters in the teens with multiple seniors. Concerned we could see a number of teams not field in the next 1-2 years and the tournament shrink even more.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

balderdash wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:59 pm In terms of teams in the danger zone, there were several teams with rosters in the teens with multiple seniors. Concerned we could see a number of teams not field in the next 1-2 years and the tournament shrink even more.
Even losing a few teams here and there, the tournament shouldn't be shrinking anytime soon
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

backerzone wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:27 am For smaller tuition dependent schools in general the demographic cliff is tough to get around. I fear more schools will throw in the towel as institutions- not just athletically. No specifics known personally but I'm sure they are out there. And not everyone has a neighbor like Cabrini who can buy their campus.
I have this theory that campuses that are 1-3hrs away from larger metropolitan areas (doesn’t have to be a 24hr city but at least strong tertiary market by CRE standards) are beat suited, sadly, for the growth and demand in the drug and alcohol rehabilitation industry which has seen 20% type CAGR the last decade. Takes folks away from the environment they were in that caused true problems but a close drive still to get to. Has housing, dining and classrooms to do the group classes/work that happens. Otherwise it’s just less desirable dirt for tear downs.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”