Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Navy 2019

Post by CU77 »

Attendance is down everywhere, that's a metric that needs to be carefully calibrated.

Honest question: if Navy sports is short of money, how can they afford to buy-out 2 years of Sowell's contract? Sounds expensive.
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:01 pm Attendance is down everywhere, that's a metric that needs to be carefully calibrated.

Honest question: if Navy sports is short of money, how can they afford to buy-out 2 years of Sowell's contract? Sounds expensive.
A year ago, Navy's beat writer ran this story about NAAA's " budget crisis."
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
There were support staff lay offs & other budget cuts.
Since then, the AAC FB tv contract has been awarded, so the crisis may have abated.
I defer to NAAA insiders on the current $$$ situation. Maybe alum donor(s) stepped up.
I don't know about Sowell's buy out or if there's any relief if he lands another job.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

old salt wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:01 pm Attendance is down everywhere, that's a metric that needs to be carefully calibrated.

Since then, the AAC FB tv contract has been awarded, so the crisis may have abated.
I defer to NAAA insiders on the current $$$ situation. Maybe alum donor(s) stepped up.
I don't know about Sowell's buy out or if there's any relief if he lands another job.
Very strange how the NAAA has an EIN number (52-0613669 ), but no longer is required to file a 990 b/c, it's a non-profit entity of the arm of the government? HUH? With this LACK of knowledge, the most recent 990 (last) for chet and friends was 2011. Of course, this info is almost a decade old, but Chet made $650k that filing year.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Very strange how the NAAA has an EIN number (52-0613669 ), but no longer is required to file a 990 b/c, it's a non-profit entity of the arm of the government? HUH? With this LACK of knowledge, the most recent 990 (last) for chet and friends was 2011. Of course, this info is almost a decade old, but Chet made $650k that filing year.

Not to mention free cars and a free house on Porter Rd.

https://lincolnmilitary.com/installatio ... rter-road/

I’m guessing a complete forensic audit is in the works and the new Sup’s staff has briefed him in detail.

Laughable to think the FB TV contract solved anything.

FORE

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Tecumseh wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Not to mention free cars and a free house on Porter Rd.

https://lincolnmilitary.com/installatio ... rter-road/

I’m guessing a complete forensic audit is in the works and the new Sup’s staff has briefed him in detail.

Laughable to think the FB TV contract solved anything.

FORE

“T”
Wow. Thank goodness the Mothers of FONL put in place that SAP Bid to Purchase to Pay Cost Reporting System to keep tight control of the $250 annual tailgating bbq trailer and cupcake expenses budget! No deficit! :o
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Tecumseh wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 pm
laxpere wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:20 am He knew that the AD was prone to sudden changes? But wasn't Coach Sowell's predecessor there a long time? This forum doesn't have the full history but it seems like there was little alumni support from the start. Some even cut off their financial support. It seems like the former coach's war waged against Coach Sowell from the get go :roll: and not even the success in the 2014-8 timeframe, including a NCAA quarter final, was enough.
Best wishes to Coach Sowell too.
Go Navy!
Agree totally with this analysis except the fact that Meade never had an issue with Sowell and visa versa , they didn't fired each other . I'm guessing they have spoken since this termination. The Alumni issue and all the dollars lost are aimed at the AD and his inner Cabal for the dreadful way Meade was treated .
I hope the NAAA staff knows that they have a rare chance for a "do over" to find the correct leader going forward and win back the Alumni base and start the cash flowing again from the current embargo. I'm guessing that whoever gets hired will be fully supported for a very long time .
"Hornet's Nest" indeed :!:
Fore
"T"
Tecumseh,
Thanks for highlighting this typo for me
It seems like the former coach's war waged against Coach Sowell from the get go :roll:
because it should be corrected. I don't believe that the former coach waged a war against Coach Sowell, but his followers certainly did and with a vengeance!

As I wrote,
laxpere wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:45 pm Youth and Tecumseh,
Both of you seem unhappy with Coach Sowell and consistently question his leadership even though the results have been solid over the past five years. You are entitled to your opinions, but I sure hope that both of you don’t condone a person or group heckling/harassing Coach Sowell before/during/after any game no matter how mad/upset that person or group is about how the coach’s predecessor was treated. It seems crazy for anyone to hang the former coach’s acrimonious exit on Coach Sowell. I hope that both of you agree that those people should fight the former coach’s battle with the AD, not his replacement.
Youth responded that he didn't condone it and said that it was unprofessional. But where does Tecumseh stand on the heckling/harassment of Coach Sowell? Is that part of your "Hornet's Nest"? Let us know when the NAAA is doing the right thing so the money embargo ends and the fairway is clear for the new coach.

Coach Wellner has been pegged as interim coach, ala Cornell 2018, and hopefully the road forward will be more acceptable for the malcontents. I sure hope that Coach Wellner has the full 2020 season to prove himself and it turns out the same way for him that it did for Peter Milliman! The future looks brighter for Navy Lacrosse v.2020.

Go Navy!
Last edited by laxpere on Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Luke

Post by Luke »

I might be wrong, but didn’t 5 “headline coaches” withdrawal their name from consideration? Ricky accepted the challenge to replace Coach Meade. Who replaced Cal Ripken?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I answered that when you asked. It was unprofessional.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 pm I answered that when you asked. It was unprofessional.
You certainly did - I think that I wrote that you did, but I edited it to make it crystal clear. Tecumseh didn't and maybe it is part of the "Hornet's Nest".

Good to see Coach Wellner named interim coach. Stability is good. #onward

Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Luke wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:03 pm I might be wrong, but didn’t 5 “headline coaches” withdrawal their name from consideration? Ricky accepted the challenge to replace Coach Meade. Who replaced Cal Ripken?
Ryan Minor.
old salt

Post by old salt »

laxpere wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:49 pmCoach Wellner has been pegged as interim coach, ala Cornell 2018, and hopefully the road forward will be more acceptable for the malcontents. I sure hope that Coach Wellner has the full 2020 season to prove himself and it turns out the same way for him that it did for Peter Milliman! The future looks brighter for Navy Lacrosse v.2020.
I'm not sure (yet) that the Cornell analogy applies.
Do we know yet how long the interim period is ?
From the Navy press release :
https://navysports.com/news/2019/5/3/na ... hange.aspx

Naval Academy Director of Athletics Chet Gladchuk announced today that Rick Sowell will not continue as head coach following eight years of leading the Navy men's lacrosse program. A national search for Navy's next head coach will begin immediately with Ryan Wellner serving as interim head coach.

"In the circles of coaching, change is sometimes appropriate, and that direction presents the opportunity to introduce new philosophies, organization and structure. With our gratitude for almost a decade under his direction, it is now time to change course and introduce new program perspectives and a renewed slate of ambitions."
IL has a source :
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/54426

A source Friday said current associate head coach Ryan Wellner will take over as interim head coach, and that a search for a full-time candidate is set to begin imminently. It is expected that Wellner will be a candidate.
It looks like the AD is keeping his options open, ...for now.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Several coaches Navy approached initially were not interested. One candidate was offered the job but then withdrew. I recall Sowell’s initial salary was about 310,000, I don’t know if that included housing. The AA owns houses around Annapolis that house coaches. At the time RM was replaced a number of people thought he was the perfect fit and Navy would sub optimize. I believe that has proven out. If the salary stays where it is there should be good coaches interested depending on what expectations are. It is never going to be the 1950s again.

I heard the ADs total comp was about 800k but don’t recall from where a couple of years ago.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Old Salt is right, I’m not sure I read that as the Cornell situation either. I hope it does end up that way, I’m 100% certain that is what the program needs. Perhaps he would bring back a former OC who the kids love and respect. He’s a great coach, a great leader and an even better person. My thoughts are with the assistants. No disrespect to Coach Sowell but these guys don’t have multi year contracts and aren’t making the same money. Hopefully Chet and naaa see what they have before someone else does. Take a poll of the players, parents and the alum - they will be honest. Your choice is on board already.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

When contract was renewed there were three kill switches. Losing record, not making conference tournament and losing to Army. 3 for 3. Buy out funds from non-operational source. Say what you want but AD protected the program, coach knew grading criteria and time to move on.
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

I would assume expectations are not going to be what they once were. I am sure we can all agree on that. With what the landscape of Division 1 lacrosse is these days, Coach Sowell did accomplish some impressive things while here on the yard. Albeit there were some really poor seasons - so maybe we can at least expect a better level of consistency.

I believe where Coach Sowell failed was just never fully connecting or embracing with the Academy as a whole. The non-lacrosse greatness that this place is was something I don't feel like he made a huge effort to imbed himself in, until it was too late. That, along with developing relationships with the Mids. Maybe had he done that since day 1, he would still be here.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

SonnySide wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 am I would assume expectations are not going to be what they once were. I am sure we can all agree on that. With what the landscape of Division 1 lacrosse is these days, Coach Sowell did accomplish some impressive things while here on the yard. Albeit there were some really poor seasons - so maybe we can at least expect a better level of consistency.

I believe where Coach Sowell failed was just never fully connecting or embracing with the Academy as a whole. The non-lacrosse greatness that this place is was something I don't feel like he made a huge effort to imbed himself in, until it was too late. That, along with developing relationships with the Mids. Maybe had he done that since day 1, he would still be here.
Maybe, if he was welcomed since day 1............but, alas....he was not. Opposite, in fact.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:35 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:59 pm
....just some quick thoughts.

In my heart of hearts I believe RS waited about 3-4 years too long to change/adapt to what was going on right in front of him.

Bottom line....he is a good coach, an even better man, and I just wished he had challenged them with more creativity, speed of practice, etc. I wish him the very best.

Turning the page..
Keep in mind Wellner is not currently an Assistant, he is an Associate Head Coach. I would be perfectly happy if they just moved on from here with the staff they currently have. Drop the Associate and change to Head Coach Wellner, Camposa keep the goalies dialed in and work more on recruiting responsibilities, and Parks given the Offense keys if Wellner believes he is worthy. Otherwise, steal Phipps back. We do not need chaos with this current roster and incoming class...there is some great talent on, and coming to the yard.

#Onward
Old Salt is right, I’m not sure I read that as the Cornell situation either. I hope it does end up that way, I’m 100% certain that is what the program needs. Perhaps he would bring back a former OC who the kids love and respect. He’s a great coach, a great leader and an even better person. My thoughts are with the assistants. No disrespect to Coach Sowell but these guys don’t have multi year contracts and aren’t making the same money. Hopefully Chet and naaa see what they have before someone else does. Take a poll of the players, parents and the alum - they will be honest. Your choice is on board already.
SonnySide wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 am I would assume expectations are not going to be what they once were. I am sure we can all agree on that. With what the landscape of Division 1 lacrosse is these days, Coach Sowell did accomplish some impressive things while here on the yard. Albeit there were some really poor seasons - so maybe we can at least expect a better level of consistency.

I agree with you SonnySide, as I made mention of this in my first paragraph. If we read between the lines of the latest article from the local paper. Chet makes it clear that RS leaves after many accomplishments, however,"felt" it was time to change leadership....which is quite an important facet here; no digs implied.

Moving on:
The AD has communicated and met with the team, assured them the ship is not taking on water and has a man in charge. Recruits are still engaged with Wellner who was the primary POC for recruiting. At this point, the dust has settled, the only beat that gets skipped WRT to the players, is they have a new leadership voice and an excitement about doing things somewhat differently. One thing is for certain....Coach Sowell leaves us with a team that is buttoned up with correct fundamental reps... [we may have questioned this by virtue of all the TO's, but he is a great teacher in this area]. And you know who else is...Wellner,

Vision:
Phase two begins now and how Wellner and staff approach the players in their next meeting will be very important...no mind games, no BS, just truth and authenticity, coupled with empathy. It must also be conveyed that there is an open door policy to come in and vent, discuss ideas, and also receive constructive feedback (both ways) in a controlled setting. Athletes at a SA need a place where they can turn off the indoctrination of military life, know they can approach a coach with a new play, a change, an idea, etc. I hope a message such of this is conveyed because it cultivates player accountability beyond the daily norms of required military ethics of Do as I say and as you are told from leadership.

#Onward
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It was a two way street. The Academy is different. There are demands on time that have to be accommodated etc. he ran into some early problems because he didn’t know about them. That falls on someone. Was he not properly introduced to the culture or did he not understand what he was told meant? Doesn’t matter now but should be a flare to those involved in hiring. My inclinations fo think the Academy did what it needed to do. The defensive coaches on the FB team have been cycling through a house nearby. They were aware of the unique history and demands
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:35 am Old Salt is right, I’m not sure I read that as the Cornell situation either. I hope it does end up that way, I’m 100% certain that is what the program needs. Perhaps he would bring back a former OC who the kids love and respect. He’s a great coach, a great leader and an even better person. My thoughts are with the assistants. No disrespect to Coach Sowell but these guys don’t have multi year contracts and aren’t making the same money. Hopefully Chet and naaa see what they have before someone else does. Take a poll of the players, parents and the alum - they will be honest. Your choice is on board already.
Old Salt, Healthy and Youth,
While not exactly the same, there are many parallels to Cornell 2018.
* Milliman was the assistant for a departing (edited) coach, plus the DC and recruiting coordinator. Also, not a Cornell graduate.
* Milliman earned the respect and widespread support of current/future players, plus recently graduated players.
* Plus, he brought in a recent graduate as a coach to build team chemistry.
* Cornell has a loyal and vocal alumni base who were disappointed about how one of the previous coaches (DeLuca) was let go and very protective of the historic importance of the lacrosse program.
* Did Coach Kerwick ever have the alumni support? The alumni base was hungry for positive results and wanted a rapid return of the program's former glory. (not sure about this one regarding Coach Kerwick, but I believe that the alumni was impatient after a dismal 5-8 season)
* Cornell's AD is a former athlete who didn't play lacrosse and seemed very concerned about his legacy, plus fund raising. Named AD roughly the same time as Navy's AD. He felt the alumni heat and created a win-win by waiting to see how the interim coach would pan out. Also, not a graduate of Cornell.

I hope that Coach Wellner is given the full 2020 season to prove himself and the outcome at Navy 2019 is the same as Cornell 2018 where interim tag is eliminated at the end of next season. All the better if he brings in Phipps.

There has already been widespread support expressed on this forum. Does anyone have a good idea of how to support him in his pursuit of the head lacrosse coach position at Navy? What would be most effective?

As Mark Twain reputedly said, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Last edited by laxpere on Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Most effective way to support him?

Graduate in the 1960’s. Be rich. Have played lacrosse at Navy. Donate. (Heavy emphasis on being rich & donating)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”