Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
GratefulRed

Re: Transfer portal

Post by GratefulRed »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:06 am LoPinto is a huge pickup but BC needs their underclassmen to step up big time if they want to have anywhere near the season they want. Their attack is significantly better with LoPinto but that midfield.. It does not look good..Only proven player there is Belle Smith. Maybe play Martello in the middle pretty sure she's played there before
It is still within the realm of possibility that BC will field the same midfield as last year as R Smith and Ca Weeks remain eligible to return. If not, youth will need to step up, but there is still plenty of upper class depth. Herod and Baker gained valuable experience as first-years and the '23 class is full of middies who would, in theory, have a year to get their feet wet.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

BC will be very very good next year for three main reasons in my opinion:
1) aww and her staff are good coaches. They seem to get the players to peak at the right time.
2). Belle smith is as fierce a competitor as I have seen on the lacrosse field in many years. That’s infectious.
3). They already had a lot of talent (proven players, maturing younger ones) and have added a couple of big transfers.
Coaching, player leadership and overall talent? That’s a good recipe!
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:30 am BC will be very very good next year for three main reasons in my opinion:
1) aww and her staff are good coaches. They seem to get the players to peak at the right time.
2). Belle smith is as fierce a competitor as I have seen on the lacrosse field in many years. That’s infectious.
3). They already had a lot of talent (proven players, maturing younger ones) and have added a couple of big transfers.
Coaching, player leadership and overall talent? That’s a good recipe!
I think LoPinto elevates BC back into the mix for championship weekend. Without her they have an off chance to make it but would need a huge step up from some attackers. Now BC has a formidable trio with Martello, LoPinto, and Davis. Add Smith in the midfield and they have a good top 4. However, they will need production from their 4th attacker and at least one other midfielder (could be a balanced effort from a couple midfielders). Anyone know if Hollie Schleicher is coming back?
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Sarah Falk to Florida
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Cass Weeks and Ryan Smith are returning. So here you go: They lose nobody in the midfield with Reynolds, Smith, Smith, and Weeks. Their entire draw team is back. Plug in Lopinto for Medjid and all you lose on attack is Cort Weeks. On defense plug in new AA from Florida with Scales, Roman and Baker and Dolce in the goal and one can argue that defense is better than last year. All they need is one attacker from the remaining roster
or from an incoming freshman class that is their best in a few years. BC just reloaded and goes into next year with a very complete roster. If the NCAA approves 6v6 in offensive zone for next year (vote in a few weeks) BC will be even stronger.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

user1020 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:25 am Sarah Falk to Florida
Florida playing style is a GREAT fit for Falk.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:27 am Cass Weeks and Ryan Smith are returning. So here you go: They lose nobody in the midfield with Reynolds, Smith, Smith, and Weeks. Their entire draw team is back. Plug in Lopinto for Medjid and all you lose on attack is Cort Weeks. On defense plug in new AA from Florida with Scales, Roman and Baker and Dolce in the goal and one can argue that defense is better than last year. All they need is one attacker from the remaining roster
or from an incoming freshman class that is their best in a few years. BC just reloaded and goes into next year with a very complete roster. If the NCAA approves 6v6 in offensive zone for next year (vote in a few weeks) BC will be even stronger.
Compare BC's roster to UNC, NW, CUSE, JMU and SB where do they stack up? I wouldn't even say that they are better than they were last year. They don't have alot of depth. Reynolds and Ryan Smith are okay players
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:00 am
Lax101 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:27 am Cass Weeks and Ryan Smith are returning. So here you go: They lose nobody in the midfield with Reynolds, Smith, Smith, and Weeks. Their entire draw team is back. Plug in Lopinto for Medjid and all you lose on attack is Cort Weeks. On defense plug in new AA from Florida with Scales, Roman and Baker and Dolce in the goal and one can argue that defense is better than last year. All they need is one attacker from the remaining roster
Compare BC's roster to UNC, NW, CUSE, JMU and SB where do they stack up? I wouldn't even say that they are better than they were last year.
I think they have a better roster than unc, cuse, jmu and SB.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:13 am
Compare BC's roster to UNC, NW, CUSE, JMU and SB where do they stack up? I wouldn't even say that they are better than they were last year.
I think they have a more complete team than most. They’re pretty balanced from goalie to attack.
Stix

Post by Stix »

Where were all these BC fan's at during NW game?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Stix wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:24 am Where were all these BC fan's at during NW game?
I'm sure they were around. They just didn't have much to cheer for during that game.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

LoPinto is amazing but she’ll have to step her game up just a notch to be on Medjids level. Or BCs 4th attacker will have to step up and those 2 can combine to replace her. What they will miss more though is the dedication Medjid brought to BC. Medjid is one of my favorite players ever in recent years, not just at BC but in all of lacrosse. Have complete respect for her especially after her post game interview after this years championship game. Showed class in that interview
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Agreed she was a class act and has large shoes to fill. Lopinto is a very different player than medjid. Will be interesting to see how she develops under Walker and appuzzo…
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:13 am
How so? UNC with a team full of freshmen beat their breaks off last year. and led for most of the game in the ACC championship which to be honest they should have won. BC does not have the depth UNC does.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Bc you think unc’s players are better than I do. And that their team is better than I do. Simple difference of opinion!!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:41 pm Bc you think unc’s players are better than I do. And that their team is better than I do. Simple difference of opinion!!
They are bringing in two all star attackers : prob better than any of the attackers BC will have . Plus added to their other attackers , middies defenders etc
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

too long, didn't read?

The rich continue to get richer. I don't see anyone being able to crack into the perennial top 4. (NW, BC, Syr, UNC --- you pick the order).
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Tell you. The transfer portal has to be extremely stressful for incoming freshman and rising sophomores. Doesn’t matter where a coach puts you on the depth chart, it can all change in a minute.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:31 pm Tell you. The transfer portal has to be extremely stressful for incoming freshman and rising sophomores. Doesn’t matter where a coach puts you on the depth chart, it can all change in a minute.
No doubt. Unless you're an exceptionally talented freshman, you won't be seeing the field much. Of all the top recruits in a given class of about 6-9 players for a top program, about 2 will see regular playing time in 2 years of being on campus. The rest will transfer and the cycle begins again.

All these girls were the best players on their teams growing up and commit to top schools with all the confidence in the world that they'll be significant contributors. They all of a sudden find themselves as just another piece
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:42 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:31 pm Tell you. The transfer portal has to be extremely stressful for incoming freshman and rising sophomores. Doesn’t matter where a coach puts you on the depth chart, it can all change in a minute.
No doubt. Unless you're an exceptionally talented freshman, you won't be seeing the field much. Of all the top recruits in a given class of about 6-9 players for a top program, about 2 will see regular playing time in 2 years of being on campus. The rest will transfer and the cycle begins again.

All these girls were the best players on their teams growing up and commit to top schools with all the confidence in the world that they'll be significant contributors. They all of a sudden find themselves as just another piece
The portal, once the Covid year is over, will be a tiny part of college lacrosse. The VAST majority of players will not “enter the portal” so the cycle begins again. Unlike basletball or football, there’s not enough NIL money in women’s lax to drive the transfer market.
There are roughly 1000 girls recruited to d1 each year (125 programs x 8 slots). How many were in the portal this year? Less than ten percent? And that INCLUDES Covid 5th years. Do that analysis on true undergrad transfers and this is much ado about nothing.
Helps top programs at the margin. But has very little impact on 90 percent of division 1 players…..

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”