Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:03 am
1766 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:10 pm The person who just had Cassese's job took a head job at Dartmouth. I'd say that is at best parallel with Lehigh if not a step below.

You don't make this move unless there is something else going on. A HC gig at a PL school trump's an assistant at any other school.
Is it possible the pay is better as an assistant at Virginia and Cassese & Lehigh mutually agreed it was time for a change?

DocBarrister
The former yes not sure about the latter. His dad has a role w the team and Wakely still influences things so they may not have bid it up but don’t think they pushed him either.

Like in Office Space, eventually it works itself out once you fix the glitch in payroll.

https://youtu.be/BUE0PPQI3is
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:10 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:03 am
1766 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:10 pm The person who just had Cassese's job took a head job at Dartmouth. I'd say that is at best parallel with Lehigh if not a step below.

You don't make this move unless there is something else going on. A HC gig at a PL school trump's an assistant at any other school.
Is it possible the pay is better as an assistant at Virginia and Cassese & Lehigh mutually agreed it was time for a change?

DocBarrister
The former yes not sure about the latter. His dad has a role w the team and Wakely still influences things so they may not have bid it up but don’t think they pushed him either.

Like in Office Space, eventually it works itself out once you fix the glitch in payroll.

https://youtu.be/BUE0PPQI3is
Well, based on what I have read, I would guess (and it’s only a guess) that Lehigh was fine with the status of the lacrosse program on and off the field (otherwise, they wouldn’t have elevated Scudder to HC), but maybe wanted a HC who wasn’t constantly seeking a position elsewhere.

New HC Scudder (and his wife) seem to be as much a Lehigh devotee as a person can be.

https://lehighsports.com/news/2023/6/19 ... coach.aspx

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

May also trim some financial cuts the AD has been tasked with by upstairs Admin.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 am
Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:30 am The Patriot League has such wide variance in terms of support for lacrosse. You have Navy, which has the resource support (if not more) than ACC and B1G programs. Then you have programs like Bucknell and Lafayette that aren't fully funded to the 12.6 scholarship level. Loyola's won a national title, and Holy Cross has sunk to a bottom 10 program in the nation as Reppert tries to rebuild it. They'll all phenomenal academic institutions, but I'm not sure there's a conference out there that has the same span of support for lacrosse at the D1 level.
That’s why it’s a one bid league-bottom drags the top down
The top also doesn't help itself with some of the scheduling decisions they make. Army's OOC SOS was horrible. You get why they scheduled they way they did because they had so many new parts to break in, but their OOC schedule made them AQ or bust. Loyola played an at-large bid schedule. BU's schedule wasn't bad. If they'd have beaten Yale, they're probably on the bubble and Yale isn't. Lehigh had a good schedule - beat Cornell or Georgetown, and they're probably bubble-in. When Navy scheduled Queens, they pretty much had to beat Georgetown or Hopkins to offset even the win against Queens.

That's really the problem with the RPI. It means that probably half of all D1 teams are schedule radioactive to many Top 30-type teams. Top end PL teams can earn at-large bids but they have to schedule Top 10 opponents...and, you know, win one...to offset Holy Cross and Colgate.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:30 am The Patriot League has such wide variance in terms of support for lacrosse. You have Navy, which has the resource support (if not more) than ACC and B1G programs. Then you have programs like Bucknell and Lafayette that aren't fully funded to the 12.6 scholarship level. Loyola's won a national title, and Holy Cross has sunk to a bottom 10 program in the nation as Reppert tries to rebuild it. They'll all phenomenal academic institutions, but I'm not sure there's a conference out there that has the same span of support for lacrosse at the D1 level.
The top also doesn't help itself with some of the scheduling decisions they make. Army's OOC SOS was horrible. You get why they scheduled they way they did because they had so many new parts to break in, but their OOC schedule made them AQ or bust. Loyola played an at-large bid schedule. BU's schedule wasn't bad. If they'd have beaten Yale, they're probably on the bubble and Yale isn't. Lehigh had a good schedule - beat Cornell or Georgetown, and they're probably bubble-in. When Navy scheduled Queens, they pretty much had to beat Georgetown or Hopkins to offset even the win against Queens.

That's really the problem with the RPI. It means that probably half of all D1 teams are schedule radioactive to many Top 30-type teams. Top end PL teams can earn at-large bids but they have to schedule Top 10 opponents...and, you know, win one...to offset Holy Cross and Colgate.
Since the expansion of conferences, it's much harder to sched ooc games. The PL went from 6 to 8 conf games/team each year. Now all the confs backload their conf games on the calendar & added a conf tourney, making it much more crowded vying for early season slots vs non-conf quality opponents. During Navy's run of PL dominance (04-09), they played Gtown, MD, Army & JHU on consecutive Sats & UNC or OSU in early season. PL games were front loaded on the calendar. Every year Navy won the PL AQ, they had enough OOC QW's & SoS to qualify for an at large. A 9 team PL & backloaded conf scheds makes it much more difficult. Loyola still manges to sched enough top tier ooc oppinents to contend for an AL.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:56 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:33 pm

Since the expansion of conferences, it's much harder to sched ooc games. The PL went from 6 to 8 conf games/team each year. Now all the confs backload their conf games on the calendar & added a conf tourney, making it much more crowded vying for early season slots vs non-conf quality opponents. During Navy's run of PL dominance (04-09), they played Gtown, MD, Army & JHU on consecutive Sats & UNC or OSU in early season. PL games were front loaded on the calendar. Every year Navy won the PL AQ, they had enough OOC QW's & SoS to qualify for an at large. A 9 team PL & backloaded conf scheds makes it much more difficult. Loyola still manges to sched enough top tier ooc oppinents to contend for an AL.
it's definitely a tough beat. tougher than anyone but the a10. there are some things they could do.
they could take one of the first 4 weeks... and tell the teams they can play their game at any time they agree on. if they can't agree, they play regular scheduled date.

they could shorten the schedule a calendar week, and have everyone play one fri-tues-sunday rotation.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I would say the ASun falls into this argument. Air Force and Utah far outweigh Lindenwood, Queens, and even the Detroit Mercy, Mercer, and Ballermine. Jacksonville is doing something different there but the Financial parity in the conference is obvious.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Did someone say they could see Dave Metzbower going to Denver to be Coach Brown's assistant? Hey, there, he would be trying to continue something that his former, longtime boss created.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Did someone say they could see Dave Metzbower going to Denver to be Coach Brown's assistant? Hey, there, he would be trying to continue something that his former, longtime boss created.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Seems that Queens has their guy. Don’t know much about him, but it seems like an interesting hiring.. especially hearing the conversations of D2 HCs in the mix.

https://tinyurl.com/5yafj4xh
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Metzbower is going to Denver...
GoPios

Post by GoPios »

Is that confirmed?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

GoPios wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:16 pm Is that confirmed?
I would love to know the same thing regarding Metzy and Denver.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Matt Whitcher (York DC) hired on at Darmouth.

Will Corrigan (Harvard) named assistant at Air Force.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

EasyRider wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:36 pm Matt Whitcher (York DC) hired on at Darmouth.
That's a really great hire....York runs a high pace/flowing offense by Coach B. Childs, so defensively Whitcher understands how to match that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Lax904

Post by Lax904 »

The Jacksonville staff is rounding out nicely with JT Giles-Harris announced today as an Assistant and Shane Koppens joining and Offensive Coordinator from Randolph Macon. Lots of new names and faces here in Duval County! Welcome.
@Lax904
“Cradle to the Grave w Kerwick and Carnicelli”
Podcast- Lax Allstars
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Carlin Joyal (Merrimack) is the new DC at Lindenwood.
PALaxer

Post by PALaxer »

Colgate adds Judd Lattimore to their staff to replace Andrew Vossler.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”