Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 pm A future flight of the Jeff Bezos spaceship will have an all girl crew, led by his girlfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBK5OEiKqYU&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlEWl3igd0c&t=12s
Imagine being a grown man and watching a minute of this silliness. What else can you folks complain about?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:10 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:54 pm
get it to x wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:41 pm
It's what happens when congress doesn't do their job. What, you think I'm all for these cretins, in both parties, stealing my descendants future? I'd even be all in for these continuing resolutions, as long as they reduced the amount by somewhere between 5% and 10%. Make each department prioritize.
There's two sides to the equation: spending AND taxes. We're paying at HALF the effective Federal Income (and corporate) tax rate that we were paying under Bill Clinton. Half. THAT is why we are running a massive deficit.

On you on board with moving back to that responsible rate of taxation? I am. The budget was balanced, and we paid for what we got...and didn't hand it off to our kids and grandkids.
I think this is 'Major Point 1'...deficits are the result of mismatch in revenues and spending...and the more important problem right now is the revenue side. Agreed.

Major Point 2 is that there is a big difference between 'spending' and 'investment'; spending is the cost of services, while investment creates ROI, higher revenues over the long haul...the criticism many of us have, certainly me, for both parties, is that we don't allocate enough to 'investment' in the physical and human capital of the country.

As a 'conservative', I want more emphasis on investment.

And, so, I'm ok with 'deficits' that are due to real investments with forward 'cost' but longterm ROI. Not ok with deficits due to unwillingness to tax to pay for cost of services.

That's overly simplified, intentionally, but that's the construct I think we should be thinking more about, rather than the dumb, 'we're spending too much' BS.
So as a conservative and myself as a fiscal conservative your opinion is that the " we are spending to much money" argument is simply BS. So IYO when does spending too much money become a real problem for an old school Republican like you?? My buggaboo about the folks spending our money in DC is they are spending OUR money and nobody from either party really gives a damn. The politician who ever points this fact out is Rand Paul. He is eviscerated on this forum all the time because he ain't a team player. I would never run my household in such a reckless manner and I'm fairly certain you wouldn't either. We are adding to our nations debt at a clip of over a trillion dollars a year. The Fed just raised interest rates again yesterday. So the cost of maintaining our debt is about what we spend on defense. I don't know about you but 800 billion dollars a year to maintain our debt ain't exactly BS. This is why extending our debt ceiling is such a big deal in DC. Our nation needs to keep the crazy train running on schedule. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:48 am
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 pm A future flight of the Jeff Bezos spaceship will have an all girl crew, led by his girlfriend

Imagine being a grown man and watching a minute of this silliness. What else can you folks complain about?
I was impressed with the similarities of the latest Bezos spaceship to it's 1930's predecessor.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

I was impressed with the similarities of the latest Bezos spaceship to it's 1930's predecessor.
You just liked the "girl" riding the phallic shaped rocket, and stupid dis on Bezos.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:44 am
old salt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

You just liked the "girl" riding the phallic shaped rocket, and stupid dis on Bezos.
Those Flash Gordon episodes made a big impression on me in my formative years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nice to see Gavin Newsom show his true colors, while giving the Black community the Heisman with the reparation smoke and mirrors.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:35 am Nice to see Gavin Newsom show his true colors, while giving the Black community the Heisman with the reparation smoke and mirrors.
By true colors, you mean he isn't a far-left 'loon'? Just a progressive, in fact rather centrist Dem?

Does that disappoint you, or does it perhaps make you re-think assumptions about Dems generally?

I also don't think this was a stiff arm to the "Black community" just to the notion of the feasibility of $1.2 million per descendant of slavery coming out of California's limited coffers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/1 ... s-00096312

Heck, out of federal capacity would be challenging to fund, though a matter of priorities. Deficit versus equity. California doesn't have the luxury of printing money, an obvious non-starter.

The big question for all of us to ponder is whether we agree that generational inequities have a legacy impact on wealth accumulation by the descendants of slaves versus those Americans who were not subject to slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, etc?

And if that's the case, how best to redress those inequities today?

If not cash payments, what would we recommend?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... the best form of reparation is to eliminate the remaining vestiges of racism and address our social justice issues, to finally give black Americans the promised equal opportunity of America. Of course that will require white Americans to grow up (a tall order). Just giving them a check is insufficient. Until the future is secure for these folks, trying to address the past is futile IMO.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:48 am ... the best form of reparation is to eliminate the remaining vestiges of racism and address our social justice issues, to finally give black Americans the promised equal opportunity of America. Of course that will require white Americans to grow up (a tall order). Just giving them a check is insufficient. Until the future is secure for these folks, trying to address the past is futile IMO.
Morgan Freeman said racism will end when we stop talking about it.

On another note, Progressive white women are the real problem. Just see below.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AdO9X7Lxzvs
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am Morgan Freeman said racism will end when we stop talking about it.
Mr. Freeman has forgotten that we already tried that.
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am On another note, Progressive white women are the real problem. Just see below.

Now THIS I agree with.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:05 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am Morgan Freeman said racism will end when we stop talking about it.
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am On another note, Progressive white women are the real problem. Just see below.

Now THIS I agree with.
Very funny...not entirely fair, but a kernel of truth can be spun into very funny.
If you're a guy...

We've been talking about the affirmative action case...much bigger 'tip' has been for men over women in admissions, if we're looking at test scores, demonstrated academic excellence, etc.

Huge differential...how do we justify that?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:30 pm

Now THIS I agree with.
Very funny...not entirely fair, but a kernel of truth can be spun into very funny.
If you're a guy...

We've been talking about the affirmative action case...much bigger 'tip' has been for men over women in admissions, if we're looking at test scores, demonstrated academic excellence, etc.

Roughly 1.25 women in four year programs for every man. Maybe not in the Ivies, but they are a tiny fraction of the overall student population. By the way, my wife thought the video was funny as hell. Not everyone is an "Offendanista".
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

Now THIS I agree with.
If you're a guy...
Woke started in the black community...and was about how blacks were treated in America. BLM term coined around 2014. He's right.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:48 am ... the best form of reparation is to eliminate the remaining vestiges of racism and address our social justice issues, to finally give black Americans the promised equal opportunity of America. Of course that will require white Americans to grow up (a tall order). Just giving them a check is insufficient. Until the future is secure for these folks, trying to address the past is futile IMO.
I quite agree. If we look at the intergenerational wealth gap as one proxy for those vestiges, it at least gives us a concept of the kinds of magnitude of $ it would take to make up that gap.

I don't think direct one-time transfers are the answer.

But I do think massive investments in the neighborhoods and regions where those "vestiges" most clearly exist, whether urban or rural (and there's a lot of rural where Jim Crow is very clear still to see) to make them attractive places to raise children, with amenities, health care, education, housing, safety, etc, etc...could make a sea change in fundamental opportunity going forward for those otherwise stuck in ghetto-like situations...again, both urban and rural...and it's not a one-time investment, as it needs to be an ongoing effort.

The good news for those of us who worry about economic efficiency and incentives to work and be productive is that doing so can unleash an immense amount of potential human capital productivity that we know is too often squandered today...meaning there's more than simply a social justice return on such investment.

I've seen arguments for a minimum standard income being provided, where work income is additive, but where sustenance needs are met by the minimum. Basic housing, basic nutrition and healthcare are covered by the minimum income rather than lots of separate programs trying to address these needs, yet are complicated to access. More efficient as well as more generous minimum security needs being met.

I need to understand more about that concept before embracing, but it is at least intriguing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am
Morgan Freeman said racism will end when we stop talking about it.

On another note, Progressive white women are the real problem. Just see below.

... he is wrong. When we stop talking about it, we start finding more black men with rope burns in shallow graves.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:48 pm
I quite agree. If we look at the intergenerational wealth gap as one proxy for those vestiges, it at least gives us a concept of the kinds of magnitude of $ it would take to make up that gap.

I don't think direct one-time transfers are the answer.

But I do think massive investments in the neighborhoods and regions where those "vestiges" most clearly exist, whether urban or rural (and there's a lot of rural where Jim Crow is very clear still to see) to make them attractive places to raise children, with amenities, health care, education, housing, safety, etc, etc...could make a sea change in fundamental opportunity going forward for those otherwise stuck in ghetto-like situations...again, both urban and rural...and it's not a one-time investment, as it needs to be an ongoing effort.

The good news for those of us who worry about economic efficiency and incentives to work and be productive is that doing so can unleash an immense amount of potential human capital productivity that we know is too often squandered today...meaning there's more than simply a social justice return on such investment.

I've seen arguments for a minimum standard income being provided, where work income is additive, but where sustenance needs are met by the minimum. Basic housing, basic nutrition and healthcare are covered by the minimum income rather than lots of separate programs trying to address these needs, yet are complicated to access. More efficient as well as more generous minimum security needs being met.

I need to understand more about that concept before embracing, but it is at least intriguing.
All of the money in the world will be misspent unless the underserved institute a change from within. They should not put up with the existing educational system. How? Stop voting for the people protecting it from accountability.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:39 pm

Now THIS I agree with.
If you're a guy...

Roughly 1.25 women in four year programs for every man. Maybe not in the Ivies, but they are a tiny fraction of the overall student population. By the way, my wife thought the video was funny as hell. Not everyone is an "Offendanista".
Mine would too. Sense of humor, though her's is wickedly dry.

Yes, there's been a huge change in women in higher education...what was it 50 years ago...

But when we look at the selectivity process it is much harder for a woman, with same scores as the man, to be accepted to the schools that actually select.

https://hechingerreport.org/an-unnotice ... to-get-in/

So, at each level of selectivity from highest going down, it is easier for the man to gain admission than the woman.

Yes, this is super clear where selectivity is highest...ie Ivies, MIT, Stanford, Williams, Amherst, etc. At else schools we'd see closer to a 60:40 than the 51:49 ish level that it bounces around at. MIT is one of the few exceptions as women don't apply at the same rate there, perhaps because of historical perceptions.

So, women at each level who would be admitted if gender-blind, get shunted lower, each group in turn.
Until we get to where admissions are 80% etc...
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:58 pm All of the money in the world will be misspent unless the underserved institute a change from within.
Private School tuition disagrees with you. How much is Gliman and St. Pauls? $35k and $65k, respectively (St. pauls includes room and board). And don't forget to add in the fat donations those schools get from rich donors that keeps that tuition down. So there's your free market price for the kind of education you and I want for everyone. Start there. Baltimore Public, by comparison, is at $16K.

In Denver, you get 20% more money working as a STARTING burger flipper at In and Out burger than you get as a starting Colorado teacher. In what world is that going to lead to top notch people getting into teaching?

How about we try funding schools fully before we decide it doesn't work?
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:58 pm They should not put up with the existing educational system. How? Stop voting for the people protecting it from accountability.
It's not the leaders, Get it to X. It's the voters. They don't want to invest in kids in most of America.

Take a look at the public school districts where they DO believe in it. Top of the line facilities and teacher's salaries, and taxes to pay for it.....of course, these are all rich districts with epic homes that are taxed to pay for it all.

That said, I agree with you completely that teacher's need the power to expel kids, and the State needs the power to sh*tcan bad teachers and administrators. And the State needs to fund a place for these kids that are expelled to go.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:39 pm

Now THIS I agree with.
If you're a guy...

The part about hooking up with a black dude and when they get caught claim it wasn’t consensual was excellent! Now shut up and sit down next to us white men and take your talking to
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:45 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:58 pm All of the money in the world will be misspent unless the underserved institute a change from within.
Private School tuition disagrees with you. How much is Gliman and St. Pauls? $35k and $65k, respectively (St. pauls includes room and board). And don't forget to add in the fat donations those schools get from rich donors that keeps that tuition down. So there's your free market price for the kind of education you and I want for everyone. Start there. Baltimore Public, by comparison, is at $16K.

In Denver, you get 20% more money working as a STARTING burger flipper at In and Out burger than you get as a starting Colorado teacher. In what world is that going to lead to top notch people getting into teaching?

How about we try funding schools fully before we decide it doesn't work?
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:58 pm They should not put up with the existing educational system. How? Stop voting for the people protecting it from accountability.
It's not the leaders, Get it to X. It's the voters. They don't want to invest in kids in most of America.

Take a look at the public school districts where they DO believe in it. Top of the line facilities and teacher's salaries, and taxes to pay for it.....of course, these are all rich districts with epic homes that are taxed to pay for it all.

That said, I agree with you completely that teacher's need the power to expel kids, and the State needs the power to sh*tcan bad teachers and administrators. And the State needs to fund a place for these kids that are expelled to go.
Privates get better results because they select. Would not be surprised, however, if public salaries are higher than private.

The system I object to is the one that has gotten away from a classical education like the Calvert School curriculum or the one I had in Baltimore County. Too much socio-emotional and too little life skills.

Also way too little civics. People should understand their form of government and everyone's responsibilities and rights in that system.

Return to “POLITICS”