Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:16 am
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:59 pm CW is a very good player, but frankly I'm not sure she's even top 10 in her conference, let alone the country. Truthfully I think it's a shame that she can never just be an All-American four-year starter at UNC and a national champion, she will always be the wunderkind who didn't live up to the ridiculous hype. And she is certainly not the only kid whose college career is/was largely defined by the hype she received in high school. The reality is that sometimes skillsets that allow players to dominate in high school don't translate to an equally exceptional college player. It does kids a disservice to hype them up so much - not calling out any of you specifically (I don't spend enough time on this thread to know) but CH's name has been everywhere for a while. If she ends up as anything less than a Tewaaraton finalist, she will always be viewed in the lacrosse community as another kid who was overhyped in high school - that's not fair. Best of luck to her, I hope she stays healthy and continues to enjoy playing.
Agreed on everything written here. CH has been an incredible high school player. Let’s see what happens at unc. I am excited to watch her play…

I am excited to see how she develops, too. Will be interesting to see how she develops in the UNC system and what role she is asked to play.

I think there are multiple great prospects in the 24 class. In fact, if you asked me to pick who has the biggest upside in the class, it wouldn't CH, though I think she is the best player right now.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:14 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:16 am
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:59 pm CW is a very good player, but frankly I'm not sure she's even top 10 in her conference, let alone the country. Truthfully I think it's a shame that she can never just be an All-American four-year starter at UNC and a national champion, she will always be the wunderkind who didn't live up to the ridiculous hype. And she is certainly not the only kid whose college career is/was largely defined by the hype she received in high school. The reality is that sometimes skillsets that allow players to dominate in high school don't translate to an equally exceptional college player. It does kids a disservice to hype them up so much - not calling out any of you specifically (I don't spend enough time on this thread to know) but CH's name has been everywhere for a while. If she ends up as anything less than a Tewaaraton finalist, she will always be viewed in the lacrosse community as another kid who was overhyped in high school - that's not fair. Best of luck to her, I hope she stays healthy and continues to enjoy playing.
Agreed on everything written here. CH has been an incredible high school player. Let’s see what happens at unc. I am excited to watch her play…

I am excited to see how she develops, too. Will be interesting to see how she develops in the UNC system and what role she is asked to play.

I think there are multiple great prospects in the 24 class. In fact, if you asked me to pick who has the biggest upside in the class, it wouldn't CH, though I think she is the best player right now.
Isn't she a 2023?
Dull Thud

Post by Dull Thud »

so, LaxDadMax, ... who has the biggest upside in the 2024 (sic) (presumably intended 2023) class?
moonwater21

Post by moonwater21 »

Dull Thud wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm so, LaxDadMax, ... who has the biggest upside in the 2024 (sic) (presumably intended 2023) class?
Your question wasn't directed towards me, but I'll enter my .02 and say people are heavily sleeping on Ashlee Volpe in the '23 class. If you haven't watched her play I suggest you check her out.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

moonwater21 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:30 pm
Dull Thud wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm so, LaxDadMax, ... who has the biggest upside in the 2024 (sic) (presumably intended 2023) class?
Your question wasn't directed towards me, but I'll enter my .02 and say people are heavily sleeping on Ashlee Volpe in the '23 class. If you haven't watched her play I suggest you check her out.
Mentioned her a few pages back when discussing the 2023 class. She's very good and will be a star for CUSE. She doesn't have more upside than CH though. I don't think anyone really does. But that's just my opinion
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I know this wasn't directed at me but i'll give you an answer of someone to look out for. Madison Rassas. Will singlehandidly win Notre Dame games . you heard it here first
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:12 pm
I know this wasn't directed at me but i'll give you an answer of someone to look out for. Madison Rassas. Will singlehandidly win Notre Dame games . you heard it here first
I have seen both players play for their clubs and high schools. CH may be the most impressive player I have seen play. She seems to always be making big plays and can take over a game by herself. MR is a good player with great stick skills. She can pull off shots with ease that many can not. IMO she does not take over games like CH and have heard from parents who see her play more often she sometimes disappears in games. I’d take both on my team and both will have solid college careers.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Yes. Bad type.

From my perspective, the biggest upside players in the 23 class are (in no particular order)

- Addy Foster
- Volpe
- Bella Goodwin
- Madison Alaimo

Keep in mind, there is a decent chance that some of those girls may not pan out at all, but I think if things come together, they could be the best player in the class. There are a couple Notre dame commits who I think have a ton of upside too, but I don't think they will develop that well because of halfpenny's history of not playing talented underclassmen.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:12 pm
I actually think ND has an incredible 23 recruiting class coming in. I agree Rassas is incredible, but I'd argue she isn't one of the top 3 recruits in that class. The real question is how much of a chance will they get as freshman.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

UA 150 will be out of the lacrosse business after this disastrous showcase. Not many coaches of the listed D1 coaches were in attendance. I’m sure some will have the usual plane delays and other excuses (Ohio State) but it was really poor. Worst there was a weather delay with zero communication. organizers sent out a lightning delay via tourney app at 250. Keep in mind games were scheduled for 3. At 4 o’clock they finally sent an email telling parents the 345 game will start at 4:15. Only problem is they never told the parents the 3 o’clock game was cancelled. About a hundred parents were still in the parking lot until about 430 when they realized Under Armour cancelled the 3 pm game.

No problem with them having to cancel the game, but the lack of communication was terrible. More importantly at this age, almost nil college coaches. Guessing Juniors was the better move, but most of the south kids went to UA 150
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:29 pm UA 150 will be out of the lacrosse business after this disastrous showcase. Not many coaches of the listed D1 coaches were in attendance. I’m sure some will have the usual plane delays and other excuses (Ohio State) but it was really poor. Worst there was a weather delay with zero communication. organizers sent out a lightning delay via tourney app at 250. Keep in mind games were scheduled for 3. At 4 o’clock they finally sent an email telling parents the 345 game will start at 4:15. Only problem is they never told the parents the 3 o’clock game was cancelled. About a hundred parents were still in the parking lot until about 430 when they realized Under Armour cancelled the 3 pm game.

No problem with them having to cancel the game, but the lack of communication was terrible. More importantly at this age, almost nil college coaches. Guessing Juniors was the better move, but most of the south kids went to UA 150
You sound pretty upset about it. My guess is you would be outraged if you knew how much these tournament organizers were making…Between them and the club leaders-woof.
Laxfan76

Post by Laxfan76 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:29 pm UA 150 will be out of the lacrosse business after this disastrous showcase. Not many coaches of the listed D1 coaches were in attendance. I’m sure some will have the usual plane delays and other excuses (Ohio State) but it was really poor. Worst there was a weather delay with zero communication. organizers sent out a lightning delay via tourney app at 250. Keep in mind games were scheduled for 3. At 4 o’clock they finally sent an email telling parents the 345 game will start at 4:15. Only problem is they never told the parents the 3 o’clock game was cancelled. About a hundred parents were still in the parking lot until about 430 when they realized Under Armour cancelled the 3 pm game.

No chance they'll be out of business and will probably make even more next year. Next year's crew will want the Instagram hype, the gear and the belief that UA150 (even though there are really like 200 girls there for each class) will get them to the college of their dreams. And mom and dad will pay whatever they demand. It's a brilliant business model.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Laxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:01 pm

No chance they'll be out of business and will probably make even more next year. Next year's crew will want the Instagram hype, the gear and the belief that UA150 (even though there are really like 200 girls there for each class) will get them to the college of their dreams. And mom and dad will pay whatever they demand. It's a brilliant business model.
The shoes and the bag were, I think she said “fire” this year. Just figured they lost AA, maybe they would lose 150 as well. It has really been run poorly this time.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:51 pm

You sound pretty upset about it. My guess is you would be outraged if you knew how much these tournament organizers were making…Between them and the club leaders-woof.
Sorry to give that impression. I wasn’t that upset. We both were kinda happy they cancelled it and we didn’t have to go back. I’m just shocked after running this event for years it was done so poorly this year. Shame on me for coming back but my daughter wanted to come. She had a ball last year. Then again maybe the 2024s didn’t last year. We weren’t being watched last year, she just had fun. Oh well. We move on. Just one more money grab like the rest of them.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:39 pm

Sorry to give that impression. I wasn’t that upset. We both were kinda happy they cancelled it and we didn’t have to go back. I’m just shocked after running this event for years it was done so poorly this year. Shame on me for coming back but my daughter wanted to come. She had a ball last year. Then again maybe the 2024s didn’t last year. We weren’t being watched last year, she just had fun. Oh well. We move on. Just one more money grab like the rest of them.
I sent them an email at around 345 asking about if the 3:00 game was cancelled. I received an email at 8 pm saying they sent out cancellation protocols the day prior. Didn’t make any sense but whatever they kinda apologized. They got my 650$ Good for them. I always say I want to get permits and just run a showcase with a catchy name. Idiots like me will fork over a five hundred dollars to make their kid happy. And there are hundreds of them. If anybody is interested, pm me we can call it Best of the Best or Top Lax. 😁
Laxfan76

Post by Laxfan76 »

Deacon022 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:45 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:39 pm

I sent them an email at around 345 asking about if the 3:00 game was cancelled. I received an email at 8 pm saying they sent out cancellation protocols the day prior. Didn’t make any sense but whatever they kinda apologized. They got my 650$ Good for them. I always say I want to get permits and just run a showcase with a catchy name. Idiots like me will fork over a five hundred dollars to make their kid happy. And there are hundreds of them. If anybody is interested, pm me we can call it Best of the Best or Top Lax. 😁
Last edited by Laxfan76 on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Juniors wasn’t that much better from a recruiting perspective. Had decent of coaches but mainly lower D1 and D3. The new programs USF and RI had big presences.

Competition was good, not great. Some outstanding girls and some ones who probably couldn’t make a C team on Long Island and Maryland.

If we had to do it again, we would have just done best in class the week before and skipped juniors open.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

If I could do over again I probably would’ve had at least another 6k in my pocket from the last three years. You learn. I guess.

On a side not got two more emails from the UA director. Appreciate her and I’m trying to tell her I’m not upset, but I guess it’s getting lost in translation. My daughter was thrilled to not have to play a third game today and quite frankly so was I. Wish tomorrow was cancelled as well.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Deacon022 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:51 pm If I could do over again I probably would’ve had at least another 6k in my pocket from the last three years. You learn. I guess.

On a side not got two more emails from the UA director. Appreciate her and I’m trying to tell her I’m not upset, but I guess it’s getting lost in translation. My daughter was thrilled to not have to play a third game today and quite frankly so was I. Wish tomorrow was cancelled as well.
Funny. All these showcases for “recruiting purposes.” I wonder how many kids actually get recruited from showcase. Million dollar industry making people rich. If you think UA and Juniors are bad you should register for the MarylandShowcase. They still haven’t released what colleges will be there. However, the event is just about sold out. Insane. How do you go to a showcase not knowing who will be there. I heard Juniors didn’t tell anyone either.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Deacon022 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:51 pm If I could do over again I probably would’ve had at least another 6k in my pocket from the last three years. You learn. I guess.

Love to hear your perspective on what was the most/least valuable. I feel like the post Covid landscape has changed with all this.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”