All America Games -undergrad teams

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxdad126

All America Games -undergrad teams

Post by Laxdad126 »

Do college coaches realize that the team selection for these events is so political depending on the club you play for?
lax410

Re: All America Games -undergrad teams

Post by lax410 »

I think American Select has eclipsed this event.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

lax410 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:41 pm I think American Select has eclipsed this event.
Can’t speak for other regions, but in the DMV the AS event is one many of the better players have passed on because of politics and club involvement. Of four PoY honorees from the class of 2023 I can only recall one participating over the past few years and that was for one year only. The selections are tied closely to the local club overseeing the regional tryouts. And the same club runs this every year, so limits player interest. It’s not an event taken too seriously by many of the top players and their lack of participation certainly has not impacted their recruiting success.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

My daughter plays in AS the last two years. It is just as political as AA. Is it better, I would say the majority of regions are better in AS but AA still has Spallina for LI. LI has a ridiculous three teams in the AS. That’s a joke. But it’s simple. Look at the affiliated team and you’ll see 75% of the team is from there. Does that make sense? Maybe. But yes. They are all political.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:18 pm
lax410 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:41 pm I think American Select has eclipsed this event.
Can’t speak for other regions, but in the DMV the AS event is one many of the better players have passed on because of politics and club involvement. Of four PoY honorees from the class of 2023 I can only recall one participating over the past few years and that was for one year only. The selections are tied closely to the local club overseeing the regional tryouts. And the same club runs this every year, so limits player interest. It’s not an event taken too seriously by many of the top players and their lack of participation certainly has not impacted their recruiting success.
What DMV?

One thing I see often as a complaint is that only players from certain clubs are selected. Is the complaint that lower ranked clubs are missed? Or that top clubs are left out of the oversight process? I’m unsure exactly what that means.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

At least for our region, the American Select rosters have most of the girls selected from one club team - conveniently the club that runs the regional tryout and provides most of the coaches.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

It’s probably different in different areas but what I see is that the top clubs run the selection and have far and away the top girls so it all sort of makes sense to me.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

lax410 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:22 pm It’s probably different in different areas but what I see is that the top clubs run the selection and have far and away the top girls so it all sort of makes sense to me.
Yeah. That’s why I said May make sense. But parents are always gonna think there’s politics involved which there is. That being said. There are certain. clubs that will add other teams players at their own players expense. There’s one team that cut both of their goalies. 😳
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

lax410 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:22 pm It’s probably different in different areas but what I see is that the top clubs run the selection and have far and away the top girls so it all sort of makes sense to me.
I believe Capital runs AS for Virginia. They did not have what ended up being the top girls play for the VA AS teams from the 2023 class. Of PoYs in their respective regions and conferences this year I don’t believe any played for Capital and only one of these players actually played in AS for one year during the years this class was eligible to play in AS. So while AS may want the best or better clubs running regionals the point is many top players do not bother with this event because of the politics tied to the club overseeing regionals. This event is really more of a money grab and the host club will help AS make money on tryout fees by forcing their club players to tryout. And I’m sure the host club makes money as well.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

North Carolina region for AS is consistently run by the club that is not considered the top club even in Charlotte, much less the state. Their players are over-represented in the selection.
Laxdad126

Post by Laxdad126 »

Interesting that on the team that my daughter made that they took a girl on the team that never attended tryouts and another girl who went to tryouts but didn't play. What kind of message does this send. Does CSE that runs the event know that it is a black eye to their event in addition to the clubs that these coaches are associated with? When did this great sport totally disregard doing what's right for the players.
Laxfan76

Post by Laxfan76 »

Laxdad126 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:26 am Interesting that on the team that my daughter made that they took a girl on the team that never attended tryouts and another girl who went to tryouts but didn't play. What kind of message does this send. Does CSE that runs the event know that it is a black eye to their event in addition to the clubs that these coaches are associated with? When did this great sport totally disregard doing what's right for the players.
This happens fairly consistently every year across all regions. FWIW, I don't think it matters in recruiting as college coaches know the political program but it definitely has an impact on the girls and is frustrating.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Laxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:47 am
Laxdad126 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:26 am Interesting that on the team that my daughter made that they took a girl on the team that never attended tryouts and another girl who went to tryouts but didn't play. What kind of message does this send. Does CSE that runs the event know that it is a black eye to their event in addition to the clubs that these coaches are associated with? When did this great sport totally disregard doing what's right for the players.
This happens fairly consistently every year across all regions. FWIW, I don't think it matters in recruiting as college coaches know the political program but it definitely has an impact on the girls and is frustrating.
+1
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I thought one of the main reasons Am Select came about was to protest the club corruption (real or perceived) in the (formerly) Under Armour team selections? "Tryouts and team selections by college coaches, not club coaches. Equal opportunity regardless of HS/club affiliation." If true, this sounds like a good idea though there are also negative consequences to the competing events.

Practically speaking, if your kid happens to make the All-America senior game, you will realize a small kick-back on a lifetime of investment. Otherwise, it’s all money down the tube. As Laxfan76 stated well, missing the underclass event or picking the 'wrong one' won't make or break recruiting. If recruiting is a desired outcome of the youth lax experience, keep your eyes on the prize and spend as little money as possible to maximize your kid’s recruiting opportunities and meet her academic goals (sounds easy now that I'm out).

Also, try not to lose sight of the real purpose/benefits of youth sports along the way.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

AA had the 2023 AA players to watch list out before they even had one tryout. As for the players that get in without a tryout, I don’t think that’s right, but when that happens, usually the player is a top player. Last year my daughters team had 2. They were the best two on the team. Still not fair but at least they are good.
betsylax222

Post by betsylax222 »

You mean AmericanSTEPS? :lol:
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

So there is the real deal on American Select.

Each region has a host club who coordinates logistics for tryouts, hires coaches and gets a cut of the registration fees.

Coaches, mostly D2 and D3 assistants are brought in to evaluate girls and submit a list of 20 players per age level. (18 field, 2 goalie). These girls get invites.

Any additional girls on the roster (or replacements if invites are turned down are at the discretion of the host club. You will see that some LI teams have 26 girls. This means the club added 6 beyond who made the team in tryouts.

In the past, the biggest complaints weren't about tryouts, they were able playing time in the tourney. Often girls from the host club (playing for their own coach) got a dispropriate share of PT. In fact, some girls may barely play. (To be fair, this exists in the All American games as well)

As a result, kids who don't play for the host club often don't tryout, or don't pay $$ after making team, using invite just to pad lax resume.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

GratefulRed wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:27 am I thought one of the main reasons Am Select came about was to protest the club corruption (real or perceived) in the (formerly) Under Armour team selections? "Tryouts and team selections by college coaches, not club coaches. Equal opportunity regardless of HS/club affiliation." If true, this sounds like a good idea though there are also negative consequences to the competing events.
+1. I don’t really understand the benefit of having a sponsored club with these tryouts, I think it just creates more drama
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:37 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:27 am I thought one of the main reasons Am Select came about was to protest the club corruption (real or perceived) in the (formerly) Under Armour team selections? "Tryouts and team selections by college coaches, not club coaches. Equal opportunity regardless of HS/club affiliation." If true, this sounds like a good idea though there are also negative consequences to the competing events.
+1. I don’t really understand the benefit of having a sponsored club with these tryouts, I think it just creates more drama
$$$ is the reason. Labor to manage tryouts and coach teams, Plus having a lead club will increase tryout numbers since these clubs often pressure girls into trying out
Laxdad126

Post by Laxdad126 »

I wonder what the economics are between the host/lead club and the organizer...in this case CSE.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”