2023 world lacrosse men's championship

International Men's Lacrosse
jersey shore lax

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by jersey shore lax »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:14 pm i hope they talk about the shot clock and pace of play and possession importance the entire game.
no need to make fun of Quint for being repetitive and also for being repetitive. It was nice to hear about fish taco's instead of pizza places and until last night I had never known that San Diego was near some big body of water that has sand.

Last night was the perfect storm of bad, with no shot clock and virtually no action in the game Q felt he had to talk through the boredom.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:14 pm i hope they talk about the shot clock and pace of play and possession importance the entire game.
no need to make fun of Quint for being repetitive and also for being repetitive. It was nice to hear about fish taco's instead of pizza places and until last night I had never known that San Diego was near some big body of water that has sand.

Last night was the perfect storm of bad, with no shot clock and virtually no action in the game Q felt he had to talk through the boredom.
holy crap was that a disappointment. literally put me to sleep. least i got up at the crack of dawn.

most of the 4th quarter was 3 u.s. possessions. including holding it 2 men up. the officials were overmatched. then there was q and anish. and for the love of gawd, there needs to be different rules, a shot clock, for the top pool. it's not that hard.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

NNELax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:55 am Was it me or was Rob Pannell bad last night? Thought the younger guys looked way better...
bad? he missed at least 3 passes in his stick that went oob, including like the 1st pass on manup. threw at least 2-3 passes into traffic that were immediate turnovers. and body blocked a pick for a call. a turnover machine.

entire attack was a no show. mcardle was invisible and rambo looked like he was on a bender the night before. i guess we're rolling with those 3 no matter how they're doing? i guess they like getting sowers on a shorty and fast breaks are non-existent anyway, but it means he and o'neal are on the field half the time. probably won't matter with baptiste and ierlan and the rules.
DeepPocket

Re: World Lacrosse 2023 Championship

Post by DeepPocket »

I enjoyed the banter, but hated the camera angles and the officiating. So maybe it was actually the camera angles and officiating that made me favor the commentary as entertainment.

As a fan of NCAA, NLL, and PLL, (along with having enjoyed Sixes) I found yet another rule set to be absolutely suffocating.

Hoping for more enjoyable lacrosse. So they have my attention for the first half of the game while I’m awake on the East coast…
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:54 am
NNELax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:55 am Was it me or was Rob Pannell bad last night? Thought the younger guys looked way better...
bad? he missed at least 3 passes in his stick that went oob, including like the 1st pass on manup. threw at least 2-3 passes into traffic that were immediate turnovers. and body blocked a pick for a call. a turnover machine.

entire attack was a no show. mcardle was invisible and rambo looked like he was on a bender the night before. i guess we're rolling with those 3 no matter how they're doing? i guess they like getting sowers on a shorty and fast breaks are non-existent anyway, but it means he and o'neal are on the field half the time. probably won't matter with baptiste and ierlan and the rules.
True, but the USA's ineptness on attack was equaled by the Canadians one handed play that looks like box outside...but, they can finish in traffic!
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Openly understanding that those two teams have the best players in the world, the lower level teams will provide much more entertaining games. This international game is brutal, and sixes is even worse. I see lacrosse continuing to be a niche sport with the college game being the most entertaining. It’s really a shame.
molo

Post by molo »

While Q and A were talking, could they have let us know what happened to Currier? I noticed he had not returned to the game about a quarter or so before they mentioned his absence.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:09 am Openly understanding that those two teams have the best players in the world, the lower level teams will provide much more entertaining games. This international game is brutal, and sixes is even worse. I see lacrosse continuing to be a niche sport with the college game being the most entertaining. It’s really a shame.
I don't enjoy the box game, either..but, if you are a fan of box lax--and many appear to be--then sixes should be ok. Personally, I don't mind
low scoring games as long as there is action--but spinning the ball around and waiting for a stall warning is beyond painful...unwatchable.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I've seen some publications and intelligentsia say that Canada is the favorite, and they might be but only because the international rules allow them to slow the game to a crawl. Even under current NCAA rules, the US would run Canada off the field because the US has better depth. Canada's top 10 are elite. It's what's behind that top 10 that forces them to play the equivalent of Dean Smith's 4 Corners (Stall) Offense. The current rules negate the US's advantage at the face-off (yes, Jake Withers from Canada wasn't there last night but is he the difference maker to offset Ierlan and Baptiste?). The lack of a shot clock allows Canada to grind away on long offensive possessions, which, in turn, disincentivizes the US on offense from going to goal. US turnovers lead to 3-minute long Canada possessions. The larger retraining zones mean that US can't press out on defense to again force the pace of play.

The only way to get Canada out of its stall ball tactics is to get a 2-3 goal lead, which will make them press more on offense. In Q4 last night, the US could have scored 3 or 4 more goals but was content to run time out of the game.

I don't blame Canada for their strategy. They've learned it's the only way to win an era of US face-off dominance. I'm sure their elite offensive talent doesn't exactly like playing this way but understands that it's their path to a win.

In the upcoming US games against the remaining Pool A teams, we'll see the US score a ton of goals.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 am
jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 am

holy crap was that a disappointment. literally put me to sleep. least i got up at the crack of dawn.

most of the 4th quarter was 3 u.s. possessions. including holding it 2 men up. the officials were overmatched. then there was q and anish. and for the love of gawd, there needs to be different rules, a shot clock, for the top pool. it's not that hard.
It would be best if the US and Canada were not involved. At this point I just want to see the U.S. lose, kinda like watching NASCAR for the wrecks. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:08 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:54 am

True, but the USA's ineptness on attack was equaled by the Canadians one handed play that looks like box outside...but, they can finish in traffic!
definitely not a performance to promote in their archives. tough to tell what they were trying to do, but fo sho they underestimated the defenders they were up against without much of a gameplan. and then once they were down, forced possessions and then wouldn't see the ball back and they were in the cycle.

teat looks to be the key for them. he did a good job finding looks for guys, but also seemed preoccupied with that when the looks should've been his at times. they'll perform better, but not coming out like that again.

8? years ago there was a similar us/canada game, don't remember who got the edge out of that pace.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:21 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:09 am Openly understanding that those two teams have the best players in the world, the lower level teams will provide much more entertaining games. This international game is brutal, and sixes is even worse. I see lacrosse continuing to be a niche sport with the college game being the most entertaining. It’s really a shame.
I don't enjoy the box game, either..but, if you are a fan of box lax--and many appear to be--then sixes should be ok. Personally, I don't mind
low scoring games as long as there is action--but spinning the ball around and waiting for a stall warning is beyond painful...unwatchable.
Fair point I find box unwatchable and maybe they are interested in making the field game more like box. If that’s the goal it’s working.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:59 am
Fair point I find box unwatchable and maybe they are interested in making the field game more like box. If that’s the goal it’s working.
I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand. You know why Europe is very good at developing basketball players now? It’s because they follow their own developmental model. They didn’t copy the USA model. I won’t watch 1 minute of “sixies”. It’s such a stupid game.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

anyone also notice how Wes Berg was playing last night? Looked like a completely different player, unorthodox moving, almost always one-handed dangles....its almost like they are trynna set the US up, like Marion Barry said so poignantly.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Perhaps they need to look at putting in a shot clock for Group A games only, allowing the other groups to continue to play without a clock. While I'm not wild about the 32 second clock off the faceoff this year in the PLL, a 60-second clock would make a world of difference in the entertainment value.
relaxedfan

Re: World Lacrosse 2023 Championship

Post by relaxedfan »

The announcers were ok.

The camera work avg. (the field being wider and not having the lines we're used to made it look worse than it probably was).

The problem was the game play. Both teams looked afraid to really try to win. They both played so slow and vanilla that it made the best collection of players in the world boring. I get that the coaches have a plan and their goal is to win the gold not this game but COME ON! Let the boys play! And let the world see that this is the beautiful game, the fastest game on 2 feet. The international rules lead to this but the coaches don't have to let that hold their teams back.
Just my thoughts after staying up past my bedtime and having a pint or 2 more than I should have.
Looking forward to the rematch and the other games over the next 10 days!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:39 pm anyone also notice how Wes Berg was playing last night? Looked like a completely different player, unorthodox moving, almost always one-handed dangles....its almost like they are trynna set the US up, like Marion Barry said so poignantly.
There is always a certain amount of that between these two teams who both know that they are very likely to play again for all the marbles.
I'm certain neither team showed much of anything in this first encounter other to to, as you suggest, try some things and see what the response would be.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:11 pm
I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand. You know why Europe is very good at developing basketball players now? It’s because they follow their own developmental model. They didn’t copy the USA model. I won’t watch 1 minute of “sixies”. It’s such a stupid game.
fair enough but if you have not watched a second of sixes how do you know it is a stupid game?, I kind of liked it but it is not "our" our lacrosse by any means. ?

I personally like any sporting event that is about getting a ball in a goal and high score wins, Team Handball, water polo and field hockey (as well as Box and Sixes) are all better to watch than Baseball.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm
fair enough but if you have not watched a second of sixes how do you know it is a stupid game?, I kind of liked it but it is not "our" our lacrosse by any means. ?

I personally like any sporting event that is about getting a ball in a goal and high score wins, Team Handball, water polo and field hockey (as well as Box and Sixes) are all better to watch than Baseball.
Going forward I won’t watch a minute of it. 5-10 minutes was enough for me. We should enter “sidies” or “street soccer” into the Olympics instead of Soccer…..or pickle ball instead of tennis.

Speaking of water polo, I will see it at the 2024 Olympic Games.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm

I prefer the miles apart "goals" myself, the way the little brother of war was intended. :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”