Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax101

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by Lax101 »

Watch out for Spallina. He unsuccessfully interviewed for the Cuse and Clemson job. Once he gets the right program, with a lot of talent, he will be tough to deal with. Not the most liked guy in the sport but he is a very good coach. At this point he must realize that he can not win at SB.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:26 pm This is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, opening in recent memory. UVA is a sleeping giant! Julie is a great leader and person, but they had really fallen off. The admin at UVA made a difficult but likely proper decision. Hire will be important here.
UVA followers must be torn. Legend at the school, but the game had passed her by....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:58 pm Watch out for Spallina. He unsuccessfully interviewed for the Cuse and Clemson job. Once he gets the right program, with a lot of talent, he will be tough to deal with. Not the most liked guy in the sport but he is a very good coach. At this point he must realize that he can not win at SB.
Interesting thoughts, but I dont think UVA would be the best fit.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:12 pm I dont think UVA would be the best fit.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Katrina Dowd new head coach at Brown University.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:46 pm
Laxdad126 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:40 pm UVA head coach Julie Meyers stepping down after 28 years. Assume this will be a sought after job.

Pretty sure Ally Kennedy is the front runner. I think she was promised to be top of the list when she took over.
Not a shot in hell ^^^ that happens.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:26 pm This is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, opening in recent memory. UVA is a sleeping giant! Julie is a great leader and person, but they had really fallen off. The admin at UVA made a difficult but likely proper decision. Hire will be important here.
Could only wish Duke coach follows her...
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:58 pm Watch out for Spallina. He unsuccessfully interviewed for the Cuse and Clemson job. Once he gets the right program, with a lot of talent, he will be tough to deal with. Not the most liked guy in the sport but he is a very good coach. At this point he must realize that he can not win at SB.
He is not leaving SB for UVA. He is not leaving Long Island. The only place he would have gone to is Cuse as all his kids will end up there.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:54 pm
Laxdad126 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:40 pm UVA head coach Julie Meyers stepping down after 28 years. Assume this will be a sought after job.

Pretty sure Ally Kennedy is the front runner. I think she was promised to be top of the list when she took over.
I literally just cracked up
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:58 pm
He is not leaving SB for UVA. He is not leaving Long Island. The only place he would have gone to is Cuse as all his kids will end up there.
I would say no to the daughter She’s not that goodn but they love mt Sinai kids
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Don't be surprised. A few reasons why

1) UVA doesn't pay its non-revenue coaches well, probably bottom 5 in top 25. They likely can't get a big name because of this.
2) Ally K led recruiting and the 24 commits is UVA's best class in a long time including 2 of the best girls off the island. With the incredibly talented 25 Long Island class, I would expect another big year if she stays with UVA
3) If you look at the current AD's track record, UVA AD has reputation for hiring less experienced coaches.
4) The recruiting window just opened, this hire needs to be made quickly. Also, many existing coaches have penalty clauses for leaving after recruiting window is open.
5) Julie Myers recruits to a specific style of play, emphasizing speed over all else. Some coaches, especially more defensively minded one, probably aren't crazy about inheriting talent with that philosophy.
6) UVA has some pretty big restrictions on coaches bringing in undergrad transfers. Less easy to quickly turn a program around compared to some other spots.

I don't by any means think Ally K is a sure bet, or even better than a 50% change, but I would put her at the front of a pretty wide open pack.

Despite the school's reputation, this is not as attractive job as many here think it is.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:27 pm

1) UVA doesn't pay its non-revenue coaches well, probably bottom 5 in top 25. They likely can't get a big name because of this.
2) Ally K led recruiting and the 24 commits is UVA's best class in a long time including 2 of the best girls off the island. With the incredibly talented 25 Long Island class, I would expect another big year if she stays with UVA
3) If you look at the current AD's track record, UVA AD has reputation for hiring less experienced coaches.
4) The recruiting window just opened, this hire needs to be made quickly. Also, many existing coaches have penalty clauses for leaving after recruiting window is open.
5) Julie Myers recruits to a specific style of play, emphasizing speed over all else. Some coaches, especially more defensively minded one, probably aren't crazy about inheriting talent with that philosophy.
6) UVA has some pretty big restrictions on coaches bringing in undergrad transfers. Less easy to quickly turn a program around compared to some other spots.

I don't by any means think Ally K is a sure bet, or even better than a 50% change, but I would put her at the front of a pretty wide open pack.

Despite the school's reputation, this is not as attractive job as many here think it is.
Ally Kennedy joined the uva staff on September 1. Could be wrong, but I think saying that she “led recruiting” is a bit of a stretch. Brittany dipper was the senior of the two assistant coach hires that myers made last year.

Let’s see what happens. I think the odds are high that a “coach to be named later” will be the next head coach of uva….
Insidelax33

Post by Insidelax33 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:04 pm Waiting for Ohio State. Hope it’s Olin, just don’t think it will be.
I’m not sure I know much about him. Seems like it is Katie Rowan job for the taking.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:07 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:27 pm

Ally Kennedy joined the uva staff on September 1. Could be wrong, but I think saying that she “led recruiting” is a bit of a stretch. Brittany dipper was the senior of the two assistant coach hires that myers made last year.

Let’s see what happens. I think the odds are high that a “coach to be named later” will be the next head coach of uva….
Ally K made every call on September 1st. Julie Myers may have set the targets but Ally closed them especially the two LI girls
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I think it was time for Myers. Despite having good talent, the program grew stale. She never adapted as well to the faster, more modern style of play like her counterparts.

With that being said, this is a big job like others have stated. But that doesn't mean it will be easy to fill because the options of elite candidates are limited. Alot of the legacy coaches in the power 5 will not leave schools where they've been coaching for 10+ years for UVA unless they open up the checkbook which i don't see happening. They may have to hire an elite mid major coach looking for a new challenge or really good power 5 coach looking for more of a recruiting edge. I'm thinking of someone like Shelley Klaes. One can argue JMU is a better program than UVA but the ceiling of UVA as a program is much higher. That's an attractive prospect. It's right down the road, she won't have to move her family too far. She's familiar with the area. Also she's just a really good coach and could really turn things around at UVA.

I think Lindsey Munday could do well with more talent. Good recruiter as well.

Others
Jana Drummond
Michelle Tumolo
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:34 am I think it was time for Myers. Despite having good talent, the program grew stale. She never adapted as well to the faster, more modern style of play like her counterparts.

With that being said, this is a big job like others have stated. But that doesn't mean it will be easy to fill because the options of elite candidates are limited. Alot of the legacy coaches in the power 5 will not leave schools where they've been coaching for 10+ years for UVA unless they open up the checkbook which i don't see happening. They may have to hire an elite mid major coach looking for a new challenge or really good power 5 coach looking for more of a recruiting edge. I'm thinking of someone like Shelley Klaes. One can argue JMU is a better program than UVA but the ceiling of UVA as a program is much higher. That's an attractive prospect. It's right down the road, she won't have to move her family too far. She's familiar with the area. Also she's just a really good coach and could really turn things around at UVA.

Others
Jana Drummond
Michelle Tumolo
If you’ve seen that massive lacrosse facility USC is building I think Munday will be staying out at USC. Going to be a HUGE selling point to come out west.
Old Bay addict

Post by Old Bay addict »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:32 pm Katrina Dowd new head coach at Brown University.
One of the greatest offensive minds in the game. Even though she left in 2020, anything that Carolina did from 2019 to last year‘s national championship can be easily contributed to the Katrina Dowd effect.
She molded that offense and all of the 2017-2019 offensive recruits. They were young and lost the semis to BC in double OT in 2019, and IMO, would they have won it all in 2021 if she was OC.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:22 am
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:34 am I think it was time for Myers. Despite having good talent, the program grew stale. She never adapted as well to the faster, more modern style of play like her counterparts.

Others
Jana Drummond
Michelle Tumolo
If you’ve seen that massive lacrosse facility USC is building I think Munday will be staying out at USC. Going to be a HUGE selling point to come out west.
Doubt Munday would leave USC.

The ACC used to be dominated by Maryland and UVA, now it’s BC, UNC, Cuse. They are lucky if they are 4th. Kales would be the smart choice. Maybe Tumolo. Wild card, would Jen Adams leave? Feels like she’s hit the ceiling at Loyola. IMO
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Old Bay addict wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:23 am
Brownlax wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:32 pm Katrina Dowd new head coach at Brown University.
One of the greatest offensive minds in the game. Even though she left in 2020, anything that Carolina did from 2019 to last year‘s national championship can be easily contributed to the Katrina Dowd effect.
She molded that offense and all of the 2017-2019 offensive recruits. They were young and lost the semis to BC in double OT in 2019, and IMO, would they have won it all in 2021 if she was OC.
Agreed, too bad she took the Brown job. She would’ve been perfect for UVA.

Does it feel weird to anyone else that Myers quits now?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

NULax2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:34 am
Old Bay addict wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:23 am
Agreed, too bad she took the Brown job. She would’ve been perfect for UVA.

Does it feel weird to anyone else that Myers quits now?
Yesterday was the last day of her camp. Probably wanted one final payday.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”