Hunter Biden Tinfoil issues

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Hunter Biden Tinfoil issues

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:04 am
a fan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:02 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:15 am Hunter's crimes were also very straightforward. He didn't file or pay taxes for 2 years & lied on a Federal gun purchase form he signed.
Why did it take so long to investigate & resolve ?
I asked you this exact questions when Barr didn't just pick up the phone, and indict.

McCarthy wants his readers to forget that the Trump DoJ had two years to pick Biden up for what turned out to be very, very simple charges.

Why did the Trump DoJ fail to do their job?

I have an easy, obvious answer, but I'd love to hear why you think they failed to do their job.
You ever been accused of under paying your taxes by the IRS ? It can take years to unwind, even a simple case.
Ok, now I'm really lost. In the top large font post, you ask why this took so long. In the bottom, you tell me why these take so long.

Why did you ask the question if you already believe you know the answer?
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:15 am Hunter's crimes were also very straightforward. He didn't file or pay taxes for 2 years & lied on a Federal gun purchase form he signed.
I asked you this exact questions when Barr didn't just pick up the phone, and indict.

McCarthy wants his readers to forget that the Trump DoJ had two years to pick Biden up for what turned out to be very, very simple charges.

I have an easy, obvious answer, but I'd love to hear why you think they failed to do their job.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/hunter-biden- ... d=97201254
Federal authorities with the U.S. attorney's office in Delaware, led by U.S. Attorney David Weiss, a Trump-era appointee, had been investigating Hunter Biden since 2018, but the probe was temporarily paused for several months ahead of the 2020 presidential election.

Biden's 2018 tax filing deadline was Apr 2019, Oct 2019 with an automatic extension.
Covid hit in Feb 2020, closing down grand juries & making investigations much more difficult.
DoJ policy was to not bring indictments which could impact elections in the months just prior to the election.
AG Barr was guilty of following that policy.
I don't know if the non-filing of taxes was the first thing that initiated the DE US Atty's investigation. Do you ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:22 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:14 am No, AG Barr was not investigating.
The Trump-appointed US Attorney for Delaware was investigating, through two years of Barr as AG.
The IRS is part of the Treasury Dept, not the DoJ. When did the IRS close their case ? Did the IRS do a criminal referral.

Do you approve of a President or his AG directing the IRS to investigate someone, or having DoJ investigate before the IRS is finished ?
Huh?

We know that Weiss was investigating this case from 2018 onward.
As I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, nor stay in a Holiday Inn last night, I can't tell you if the IRS "closes a case" when it is investigated by a US Attorney as a crime nor can I tell you that there needs to be a criminal referral from the IRS before a US Attorney indicts., nor whether there actually was such a referral, though my very reasonable guess is there was such by 2018 and Weiss's appointment.

But we do know that Weiss was empowered as of 2018, appointed by Trump. Everyone knew that Weiss had the case and that his remit was very broad in that investigation.

But if I speculate, I'd say that IRS didn't "close" it's case until the money was paid in with penalties etc. When that happened, presumably their file is closed. But the criminal prosecution may or may not continue. Typically, no prosecution if the money is repaid and the perp is compliant, but sometimes a plea out with probation like this. Only if the perp is recalcitrant do prosecutions with jail time generally happen.

We also know that Weiss didn't indict these rather simple crimes when he undoubtedly had confirmed the facts. For some reason, he waited. We don't know whether Barr or Trump or anyone else pressured him to hold off on those indictments. IF they did so, it would have likely been because they preferred to rail on about the possibility of much more serious crimes but didn't care about those lesser connectable crimes.

My own hunch would be that Weiss was a straight shooter, knew these were minimal offenses, certainly relative to his overall remit and could always be indicted whenever he was finished. And that he wanted to be super thorough in chasing down every possibility of a more serious charge before indicting the lesser. He may also have treated these crimes similarly to how he might normally treat such, knowing that repayment is a priority for the government as well as any punishment.

I think I have been super clear that I do not approve of any President directing who to investigate and prosecute and who not to, whether IRS or DOJ. It's extremely rare for a POTUS to do so, but we saw that egregiously breached in the Trump tenure...off the hook breached.

But sure, the AG does get involved with such decisions on the regular. Only when there are potential conflicts of interest, whether personal or political, would the AG be expected to step away from such discussions on an individual prosecution. Would Barr have stepped away? We know he didn't in multiple other fraught with conflict situations. I find it extremely difficult to think he wouldn't have told Weiss to indict what he had asap if he thought that would benefit Trump. But they wanted the investigation, not the conviction.

I think Biden took the ethical, but not legally required, path of leaving Weiss in place. I'd like to think I'd have made that call...pretty darn sure Trump would not have done so. Nor any of these MAGA loudmouths.

Joe has been super quiet about the case, albeit it gets asked all the time. Saying his son hasn't done anything wrong, that he has faith in him, that he trusts him, was unfortunate, not because anyone at DOJ, much less Garland or Weiss took that as direction, but simply because it gives his political opponents, like you, a rather dumb talking point. Hunter obviously DID do some things wrong, but I suspect Joe was responding to the very serious allegations of bribery etc, not to what Hunter has long admitted...we know Joe thinks those things were "wrong". He's said so. Hunter said so.

BTW, Weiss comes out of this 5 year investigation better than the cluster F with Durham. At least Weiss landed a conviction on two counts. Durham was embarrassed badly in court twice. No wins.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:06 am

Federal authorities with the U.S. attorney's office in Delaware, led by U.S. Attorney David Weiss, a Trump-era appointee, had been investigating Hunter Biden since 2018, but the probe was temporarily paused for several months ahead of the 2020 presidential election.

Biden's 2018 tax filing deadline was Apr 2019, Oct 2019 with an automatic extension.
Covid hit in Feb 2020, closing down grand juries & making investigations much more difficult.
DoJ policy was to not bring indictments which could impact elections in the months just prior to the election.
I don't know if the non-filing of taxes was the first thing that initiated the DE US Atty's investigation. Do you ?
So what? You're just telling us that there was no indictment in the few months prior to November 2020. COVID didn't stop investigations and there were plenty of indictments during the COVID years. Sure, it did slow some things, make them "more difficult", but they continued.

The bottomline is there was never anything else found to indict.

They could have indicted on these issues in the first 6 months of taking it on, having confirmed the facts...that they did not was Weiss' call, for whatever reasons he had, but sure AG Barr certainly could have insisted if he'd wanted them faster. And Weiss would have either done so or resigned if he thought it was inappropriate for some reason.

Stop being a partisan. It's likely that Weiss was a straight shooter, chased down every credible possibility and allegation, and this was ALL that could be credibly indicted. No one stopped the investigation, no one directed that Hunter not be indicted on the charges Weiss could bring credibly. Hunter had already admitted to these issues, paid what was owed, and was compliant.

5 years is a very long time for any investigation.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Here's a report with more details on the DE investigation timeline. What was investigated & when.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-bi ... -rcna90144

The criminal probe was overseen by Weiss, whose deliberations, which have dragged on for months, provoked frustration and bewilderment from other law enforcement officials, some of them inside the FBI and the IRS, as both agencies finished their respective investigations last year, according to three senior law enforcement officials. An additional senior U.S. official said the bulk of the IRS investigation was completed in 2020.

Biden’s drug purchasing initially came to the attention of local police in Delaware in 2018, and the FBI was brought in to assist shortly afterward, a senior law enforcement official said.

The federal investigation began in 2018 under the Trump administration as a broad inquiry of Biden’s international business relationships, with an emphasis on potential national security implications. Over time, it narrowed into an examination of his personal taxes and purchase of a pistol. A grand jury was convened in Delaware and continued to hear testimony from witnesses throughout 2022, according to two sources familiar with the matter.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:27 am

So what? You're just telling us that there was no indictment in the few months prior to November 2020. COVID didn't stop investigations and there were plenty of indictments during the COVID years. Sure, it did slow some things, make them "more difficult", but they continued.

They could have indicted on these issues in the first 6 months of taking it on, having confirmed the facts...that they did not was Weiss' call, for whatever reasons he had, but sure AG Barr certainly could have insisted if he'd wanted them faster. And Weiss would have either done so or resigned if he thought it was inappropriate for some reason.

Stop being a partisan. It's likely that Weiss was a straight shooter, chased down every credible possibility and allegation, and this was ALL that could be credibly indicted. No one stopped the investigation, no one directed that Hunter not be indicted on the charges Weiss could bring credibly. Hunter had already admitted to these issues, paid what was owed, and was compliant.

I hope you're enjoying butting in, filibustering & talking to yourself, while I attempt to answer afan's straightforward question about why Hunter was not indicted during Trump's (& Barr's) time in office.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:31 am Here's a report with more details on the DE investigation timeline. What was investigated & when.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-bi ... -rcna90144

The criminal probe was overseen by Weiss, whose deliberations, which have dragged on for months, provoked frustration and bewilderment from other law enforcement officials, some of them inside the FBI and the IRS, as both agencies finished their respective investigations last year, according to three senior law enforcement officials. An additional senior U.S. official said the bulk of the IRS investigation was completed in 2020.

Biden’s drug purchasing initially came to the attention of local police in Delaware in 2018, and the FBI was brought in to assist shortly afterward, a senior law enforcement official said.

The federal investigation began in 2018 under the Trump administration as a broad inquiry of Biden’s international business relationships, with an emphasis on potential national security implications. Over time, it narrowed into an examination of his personal taxes and purchase of a pistol. A grand jury was convened in Delaware and continued to hear testimony from witnesses throughout 2022, according to two sources familiar with the matter.
I think what that means is that the "investigations" continued at both IRS and FBI and with Weiss until some time in 2020...we knew that. Doesn't mean that they didn't have the crimes they finally indicted identified and confirmed by then, just that they were investigating for other possible, primarily financial, crimes...but decided by 2020 that there were no more. You only convene a grand jury when you're ready to make a specific case or need subpoenas etc...clearly, they had not decided to do that on the taxes until well into investigating other matters.

But that's the point, Salty, the investigation into other matters never produced evidence for a credible indictment...just these minor ones. We don't know if there was political pressure to focus on larger stuff (of course there was, Trump was constantly tweeting) but it's a fair assumption that indicting on the lesser wasn't a priority for the political folks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:34 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:27 am

I hope you're enjoying butting in, filibustering & talking to yourself, while I attempt to answer afan's straightforward question about why Hunter was not indicted during Trump's (& Barr's) time in office.
If you want to have a private conversation take it to PM.

You've addressed us both multiple times.

And you began with responding to me...see above, that was YOUR question, initially.
old salt

Post by old salt »

:lol: ...afan obviously didn't want his answer via PM.

I don't blame AG Barr for not bringing the indictment in 2020, before the election,
then knowing that Trump lost, not bringing it before Trump left office.
afan can answer why AG Garland didn't force the indictment sooner.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:50 am :lol: ...afan obviously didn't want his answer via PM.

I don't blame AG Barr for not bringing the indictment in 2020, before the election,
I wonder what Garland told Afan.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:42 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:50 am :lol: ...afan obviously didn't want his answer via PM.

:D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That he had a friend he was just talking with about this very subject? ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:19 pm

That he had a friend he was just talking with about this very subject? ;) :lol:
What was said in the Dem team huddle.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

You asked the question in response to my statement that Hunter's crimes were very straightforward, easy to prove.

I don't "blame AG Barr for not bringing the indictment" either.

But the point is, which a fan made as well, is that Barr could have done so, if he'd wished. He certainly interfered in multiple other politically fraught with conflict of interest cases, so it wasn't likely to have been out of respect for due process or general reserve that he didn't do so.

Nope, the much more likely answer is that there wasn't any political benefit to doing so, when the investigation into much more serious potential crimes could be touted by the politicians...meaning his boss Trump. He didn't do so after the election because the election was already lost and the issues around Trump's election fraud claims overwhelmed all attention...no immediate political benefit to Trump, nor to Barr professionally...and he resigned shortly thereafter. Next folks too busy as well that last month trying to figure out how to stop the transfer of power...

Biden is the one who actually made a decision to not interfere, when his self-interest would have been to shut it down. Same for Garland. Instead, they decided to let the US Attorney appointed by Trump and assigned by Barr to handle the matter to continue interrupted. Hands off.

In Biden's case, he may have been very confident that there were no actually worse crimes, so the cost of allowing to continue was low, while the cost of being perceived as having acted in self-interest would have been high, undercutting his rationale that this would be a very different Presidency. Garland seems to be very much of the belief that it's imperative to do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may. Straight shooter, not a political animal.

I just don't see Trump or Barr has having the same ethical standards or motivations. Barr's trying hard to un-tarnish his reputation, but he was definitely willing to cross many such lines back when he got started in 2018 and 2019.
a fan

Post by a fan »

That gives Barr an excuse until Nov 3rd

Why didn't Barr indict on the 4th of November?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:46 pm

Because that would have made it even more explosive politically. Sour grapes, added to the stop the steal & then Jan 6th.

Recall, Barr resigned in mid-Dec 2020.

Read the NBC article. The investigations were not complete until 2022.
Maybe the whistleblowers will tell us why it took so long.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dude 's, either way.....the pathetic "title" of this thread is born in contempt....

"tinfoil' issues result in guilty pleas.....got it

but, yay.....let's make EVERYTHING about tRump.

geezbus

at least Hunty didn't drag the Romney and Kerry kiddies into the dirt ,what with the "china" stuff.

only the best.

taats
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:32 pm

Because that would have made it even more explosive politically. Sour grapes, added to the stop the steal & then Jan 6th.

Keep sucking in those conspiracy theories.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:17 pm Keep sucking in those conspiracy theories.
$10 million buys a lot of Biden family books.
Give us another rant about grifters.
Even the Wash Post is now publishing those conspiracy theories.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... y-members/

Opinion : Millions flowed to Biden family members. Don’t pretend it doesn’t matter.

By Jim Geraghty, Contributing columnist, May 18, 2023

Let’s assume that, as President Biden’s fans insist, there’s no evidence of lawbreaking in the deals that had foreign companies paying more than $10 million to Biden family members during and after Biden’s years as vice president.

And no doubt, the House Oversight Committee led by Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) has its own preconceived narrative that Biden is on the take from all kinds of shady characters. An indictment of bribery or corruption would require proof that, at some point while in office, Biden acted or influenced a U.S. government policy decision to benefit one of those companies, and the House Oversight Committee, so far, does not have that proof.

Yet we’re still left with a motley collection of odd and unsavory figures sending a lot of money through a lot of companies to a lot of members of the Biden family, with little explanation why. Comer contends that bank records confirm more than $10 million in payments, run through at least 20 businesses, mostly limited liability companies, to the president’s son Hunter Biden; the president’s brother, James Biden; James’s wife, Sara Jones Biden; Hallie Biden (widow of Joe Biden’s son Beau, who died in 2015); Hunter’s ex-wife, Kathleen Buhle; Hunter’s current wife, Melissa Cohen; and, as Comer noted, “three children of the president’s son and the president’s brother.”

Just what goods or services did all those Biden family members provide to those companies?

Why did Gabriel Popoviciu, a businessman convicted of bribery in Romania and relatedly investigated by British authorities pay as much as $1 million that ended up in Biden family accounts? Does anyone believe that Chinese energy tycoon Ye Jianming in 2017 gave Hunter Biden a 2.8-carat diamond, estimated to be worth up to $80,000, as a gift out of the pure goodness of his heart? Ye disappeared from public view in 2018 amid a Chinese corruption crackdown.

President Biden voluntarily releases his tax returns and other financial disclosure reports that are required by law. But members of elected officials’ families are not required to disclose anything, leaving a very easy way for any deep-pocketed individual or institution to purchase a friendship with someone who has the politician’s ear.

Maybe it’s entirely coincidental that so many foreign entities just happened to give large amounts of money and gifts to Biden family members, and no one involved ever believed, promised, insinuated or suggested that Joe Biden would ever return the favor.

What the House Oversight Committee report reveals is a larger and more complicated version of Hunter Biden’s ludicrously remunerative “work” for Burisma Holdings, the Ukrainian oil and natural gas company from 2014 to 2019. Hunter Biden had never worked in the oil or natural gas industry, and yet Burisma reportedly paid him up to $83,000 per month until his father left office, all without Hunter ever needing to travel to Ukraine. One Burisma official told Reuters in 2019 that Hunter Biden was a “ceremonial figure” at the company.

Why would Burisma so lucratively reward a ceremonial figure? What could Hunter Biden possibly offer the company beyond a connection to his father?

Confronted with the Comer committee’s report, Democrats scream, “What about Ivanka Trump’s trademarks in China, or Donald Trump and Jared Kushner profiting from Saudi investors?” And they’re right to object. We don’t elect leaders to the presidency — or the vice presidency — so that their relatives can cash in with foreign business executives. The sordid intermingling of personal financial interests with U.S. government policy is absolutely fair game in the 2024 presidential election.

With great power comes great responsibility, and few jobs are more powerful than the presidency or vice presidency. That means presidents and vice presidents have a responsibility to make sure their relatives aren’t making new “friends” from overseas who just happen to want to give them lots of money. Even if an elected official never returns the favor, the U.S. government’s lecturing other countries about corruption looks laughable when presidential offspring seem to be shilling access like a guy on the corner selling fake Rolexes.

Most of Washington is used to elected officials finding a sweet, low-responsibility, well-paying job for some otherwise unemployable son or niece. In 2012, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington went through the employment records of members of the House and determined that 82 members paid family members through their congressional offices, campaign committees or political action committees. (It came out to 42 Republicans and 40 Democrats; apparently Washington really did have more areas of bipartisan agreement back then.)

And in the grand scheme of things, giving your low-wattage relative a job answering phones in your congressional office is a small enough potential conflict that everyone can live with it.

The problem is the Biden family’s unspecified gigs with foreign companies appear never to have developed a limiting principle while he was vice president. Now, in the White House, variations on Biden’s reflexive “My son has done nothing wrong” response aren’t going to cut it this time. Comer promises more, and he’s taking direct aim at the not-all-that-plausible excuse that the president is entirely disconnected from the financial arrangements of his family members.

Comer, speaking with a Fox News radio program, noted that Biden’s media defenders act as though the revelations have nothing to do with Biden himself. “That is ridiculous,” Comer said. “Of course it has everything to do with Joe Biden.”

Return to “POLITICS”