MOUNT ST MARYS 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
lorin

Re: MOUNT ST MARYS 2023

Post by lorin »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:08 pm Hearing from someone connected to the school that who ultimately conducts the search(outgoing AD vs Incoming AD(who begins in Aug)) will be a huge factor on who the candidates are as they have very differing views on who they want to go with
How about coach ward from Army?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

lorin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:13 pm
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:08 pm Hearing from someone connected to the school that who ultimately conducts the search(outgoing AD vs Incoming AD(who begins in Aug)) will be a huge factor on who the candidates are as they have very differing views on who they want to go with
How about coach ward from Army?
Excellent call! After all, he played at Loyola and coached at Georgetown. So he knows the region very well for talent. Just like Coach Phipps at Navy.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

McIntee?
Mike Morgan??
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

River Donkey wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:52 am McIntee?
Mike Morgan??
Either could be a good hire. However, I think Morgan may want to continue what he has going at Merrimack. Now, McIntee I see as a better possibility. After all, he isn't currently a head coach, and he was the associate head coach at the Mount not too, too long ago.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Any names for the new head coaching position at mount? Has anyone been to campus?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:08 pm
Mike Morgan??
Either could be a good hire. However, I think Morgan may want to continue what he has going at Merrimack. Now, McIntee I see as a better possibility. After all, he isn't currently a head coach, and he was the associate head coach at the Mount not too, too long ago.
really? McIntee?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:19 am
Mike Morgan??
really? McIntee?
Ha!! Yup, the Mount could only be so lucky if he decided to return.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:50 am
Mike Morgan??
really? McIntee?
I'm sure he has his fans.
However, I've heard some feedback from folks who had quite the opposite assessment.

I have no dog in the hunt at all.

He certainly had a solid early coaching career.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:37 pm
Mike Morgan??
really? McIntee?
However, I've heard some feedback from folks who had quite the opposite assessment.

I know nothing outside of his coaching record, and he’s more then qualified in that sense.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:37 pm
Mike Morgan??
really? McIntee?

I know nothing outside of his coaching record, and he’s more then qualified in that sense.
yes, in that sense.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Does assistant coach Giblin have a shot?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:29 pm Does assistant coach Giblin have a shot?
Good question. He has some good college coaching experience now, and he was a pure winner as a head coach at Georgetown Prep.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:29 pm Does assistant coach Giblin have a shot?
Someone already had noted he’s gone to some private HS on one of the threads.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Does MSM have the full 12.6 scholarships to hand out?
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

Not even close. Not when they were in the NEC and certainly not in the MAAC (either time).
lilax

Post by lilax »

It will be interesting to see this hiring process. I think Mount is an enticing job. You are in a conference that is very winnable and you are very close to some major lacrosse hotbeds.

I don’t think they attract a top-level assistant like a John Haus at Penn State or Ryan Wellner at ND. But I think that they will attract some good high to mid-level assistants like Justin Ward at Army, Paul Richard at Richmond, or Jeremy Hirsch at Princeton.

I could also see them getting interest from a DI assistant who wants another shot at being a head coach like Eric Seremet at Rutgers or even maybe someone like Chris Wojik at ND.

Do coaches like Pat Myers (Lafayette) or Andy German (Cleveland St.) view Mount as better than their current situation and make the jump over?

Or do they get a top DII/DIII coach? The AD just came from Mercyhurst. Chris Ryan has been able to build a very good program in Erie, PA. Not much of a destination spot. Does the job interest someone like Mikey Thompson or Brandon Childs who have built great programs at Christopher Newport and York?

I think Mount will see a good amount of applications. They are coming off of an above average season. Though they seem to be losing a lot in the transfer portal, with the right coach, they can get to the top of the MAAC.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

How Many Scholarships does the Mount have? I'm sure that would be one of the first questions any preceptive coach will ask. Recruiting is a huge part of the job and getting good talent requires money. It would make it a much less attractive position. Think buying a Bentley on a Kia budget.

how many NCAA teams have gotten past the first round of the tournament without a large number of scholarships in the past 10 years? I think the only solid example is Villanova and I believe they are now up to 8.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

lilax wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:55 pm It will be interesting to see this hiring process. I think Mount is an enticing job. You are in a conference that is very winnable and you are very close to some major lacrosse hotbeds.

I don’t think they attract a top-level assistant like a John Haus at Penn State or Ryan Wellner at ND. But I think that they will attract some good high to mid-level assistants like Justin Ward at Army, Paul Richard at Richmond, or Jeremy Hirsch at Princeton.

I could also see them getting interest from a DI assistant who wants another shot at being a head coach like Eric Seremet at Rutgers or even maybe someone like Chris Wojik at ND.

Do coaches like Pat Myers (Lafayette) or Andy German (Cleveland St.) view Mount as better than their current situation and make the jump over?

Or do they get a top DII/DIII coach? The AD just came from Mercyhurst. Chris Ryan has been able to build a very good program in Erie, PA. Not much of a destination spot. Does the job interest someone like Mikey Thompson or Brandon Childs who have built great programs at Christopher Newport and York?

I think Mount will see a good amount of applications. They are coming off of an above average season. Though they seem to be losing a lot in the transfer portal, with the right coach, they can get to the top of the MAAC.
You may be the only person that feels the Mount is an "enticing" job...
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

palaxoff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:08 am How Many Scholarships does the Mount have? I'm sure that would be one of the first questions any preceptive coach will ask. Recruiting is a huge part of the job and getting good talent requires money. It would make it a much less attractive position. Think buying a Bentley on a Kia budget.

how many NCAA teams have gotten past the first round of the tournament without a large number of scholarships in the past 10 years? I think the only solid example is Villanova and I believe they are now up to 8.
With no disrespect to MAAC schools (especially since I come from one of the programs), it's a Kia budget the new coach is going to be on. OK, maybe low end Acura if he's lucky.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:39 pm
palaxoff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:08 am How Many Scholarships does the Mount have? I'm sure that would be one of the first questions any preceptive coach will ask. Recruiting is a huge part of the job and getting good talent requires money. It would make it a much less attractive position. Think buying a Bentley on a Kia budget.

With no disrespect to MAAC schools (especially since I come from one of the programs), it's a Kia budget the new coach is going to be on. OK, maybe low end Acura if he's lucky.
MAAC teams, with some of the higher budget teams - MSM is middle of the pack in the MAAC (per EADA AD budget reporting) ------->

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”