D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D3

Post by Laxattackjack »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:51 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:11 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:42 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:24 pm For as many 50+ rosters we see at the top end of D3, there's just as many 20-30 player rosters at the lower end; so I think the average of about 35-40 seems about right.
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:42 am 35-40 is a good size. Anything beyond that, will have kids on the sidelines that will go several games in a row (or never) without seeing the field.
Agreed. Cap of 40 would eliminate hoarding at the top programs/schools and still give coaches enough payers/players to practice, weather injuries, etc. It will never happen, but a girl can dream ...
This is the most pathetic thing that’s every been said in the history of the internet. And no 35-40 is not enough to run a fast pace college practice if there are injuries
I love the temper tantrums when someone has an opinion different than you.
He thinks he’s special and an utmost authority on all things NCAA lax. And if someone disagrees, this is what he does. Truth is the game has passed him by and he has not realized that yet.
The crazy thing is that the game is growing. And rosters are larger now than ever. When I was at Towson, 30 plus years ago, the roster size was less than 30
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:07 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:51 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:11 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:42 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:24 pm For as many 50+ rosters we see at the top end of D3, there's just as many 20-30 player rosters at the lower end; so I think the average of about 35-40 seems about right.
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:42 am 35-40 is a good size. Anything beyond that, will have kids on the sidelines that will go several games in a row (or never) without seeing the field.
Agreed. Cap of 40 would eliminate hoarding at the top programs/schools and still give coaches enough payers/players to practice, weather injuries, etc. It will never happen, but a girl can dream ...
This is the most pathetic thing that’s every been said in the history of the internet. And no 35-40 is not enough to run a fast pace college practice if there are injuries
I love the temper tantrums when someone has an opinion different than you.
He thinks he’s special and an utmost authority on all things NCAA lax. And if someone disagrees, this is what he does. Truth is the game has passed him by and he has not realized that yet.
The crazy thing is that the game is growing. And rosters are larger now than ever. When I was at Towson, 30 plus years ago, the roster size was less than 30
And you managed to get by ok. My point was simply if the opportunity isn’t there players will look elsewhere if they really want to play. And if they aren’t interested in elsewhere they really aren’t interested in playing, and imo those attitudes are bad for a team and bad for the game.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

It'd be cool if you didn't hijack the Coaching Carousel post with your middle school bickering.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

HomerCoach wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:06 pm It'd be cool if you didn't hijack the Coaching Carousel post with your middle school bickering.
You are correct and my apologies.
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:11 pm This is the most pathetic thing that’s every been said in the history of the internet. And no 35-40 is not enough to run a fast pace college practice if there are injuries
Finally! My moment of glory! I won the internet!

In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry to offend - I was only recalling how Coach Emmer managed to run us through a quite a few "fast pace college practices" with a roster of fewer than 40 ... but the game was more civil the early '90s, so injuries rarely occurred ...
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

smoova wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:22 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:11 pm This is the most pathetic thing that’s every been said in the history of the internet. And no 35-40 is not enough to run a fast pace college practice if there are injuries
Finally! My moment of glory! I won the internet!

In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry to offend - I was only recalling how Coach Emmer managed to run us through a quite a few "fast pace college practices" with a roster of fewer than 40 ... but the game was more civil the early '90s, so injuries rarely occurred ...
My HOF Coach Emmer, cheese & crackers, at Army??

valaxfan
smoova

Post by smoova »

Last edited by smoova on Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

Augustana is off the board… announcement coming shortly.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

People seem to be evaluating college lacrosse program choices in a vacuum. The problem with many of the smaller, at-risk lacrosse programs is that they are launched by schools that have few other ways to attract matriculants, as they offer educations/degrees/social experiences that are comparable or worse than local public schools at a much higher cost. By comparison, Williams could fill an additional roster many times over with JV-only players who were guaranteed from day 1 to never set foot in a regulation NCAA game. For many families, D3 lacrosse is a means to the end of gaining admission to desirable schools.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Argyle23 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:08 am Augustana is off the board… announcement coming shortly.
Lycoming too.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

SixBySix wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 am People seem to be evaluating college lacrosse program choices in a vacuum. The problem with many of the smaller, at-risk lacrosse programs is that they are launched by schools that have few other ways to attract matriculants, as they offer educations/degrees/social experiences that are comparable or worse than local public schools at a much higher cost. By comparison, Williams could fill an additional roster many times over with JV-only players who were guaranteed from day 1 to never set foot in a regulation NCAA game. For many families, D3 lacrosse is a means to the end of gaining admission to desirable schools.
Sounds like your describing 90% of D2 and a good portion of the MAAC. This is d3 coach carousel thread.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

SixBySix wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 am People seem to be evaluating college lacrosse program choices in a vacuum. The problem with many of the smaller, at-risk lacrosse programs is that they are launched by schools that have few other ways to attract matriculants, as they offer educations/degrees/social experiences that are comparable or worse than local public schools at a much higher cost. By comparison, Williams could fill an additional roster many times over with JV-only players who were guaranteed from day 1 to never set foot in a regulation NCAA game. For many families, D3 lacrosse is a means to the end of gaining admission to desirable schools.
How many college programs have a JV team? I heard someone mention that Stevenson coaches get money for each kid on the team. And they have a JV team
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:54 am
Argyle23 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:08 am Augustana is off the board… announcement coming shortly.
Lycoming too.
Time to connect some dots :ugeek:
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:56 am
How many college programs have a JV team? I heard someone mention that Stevenson coaches get money for each kid on the team. And they have a JV team
A few NESCACs used to (Williams among them), not sure anymore.
Leonard Washington

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:56 am How many college programs have a JV team?
Maybe count on one hand, if there even that many.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

JV lacrosse teams have gone away because a lot of kids were insulted when asked to play a JV game and with NCAA cap on games played, any JV game a player takes part in, the coach would have to sit him out for a varsity game potentially putting the team in a bad spot and short players for varsity game.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:45 pm JV lacrosse teams have gone away because a lot of kids were insulted when asked to play a JV game and with NCAA cap on games played, any JV game a player takes part in, the coach would have to sit him out for a varsity game potentially putting the team in a bad spot and short players for varsity game.
I'm surprised that (the cap issue, not the feeling insulted) is the reason and that those games count towards an NCAA cap. If I remember right, at least in the NESCAC, JV teams played a mix of each other, community colleges and scrimmages vs prep schools. I imagine only the ones vs other NCAA member JVs would count, and it should be easy enough to categorize them as scrimmages to avoid the cap.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Methodist in NC is now open

Current Openings:

Alma (MI)
Augustana (IL)
Averett (VA)
Catholic (DC)
Eastern Connecticut St. (CT)
Haverford (PA)
Immaculata (PA)
Ithaca (NY)
Lycoming (PA)
Methodist (NC)
Mount St. Joseph (OH)
Muskingum (OH)
Pitt-Bradford (PA-2025)
Thiel (PA)
Wells (NY)

Filled:

Eastern (PA) - Colin Piper (Interim Currently), Eastern AC
Keuka (NY) - Ty Trombley, Keuka Interim HC
Lawrence (WI-2025) - Michael Zadorga, Davis and Elkins HC
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

Leonard Washington

Current Openings:

Alma (MI)
Averett (VA)
Catholic (DC)
Eastern Connecticut St. (CT)
Haverford (PA)
Immaculata (PA)
Ithaca (NY)
Lycoming (PA)
Methodist (NC)
Mount St. Joseph (OH)
Muskingum (OH)
Pitt-Bradford (PA-2025)
Thiel (PA)
Wells (NY)

Filled:

Augustana (IL) - Jon Paul, St. Ambrose HC
Eastern (PA) - Colin Piper (Interim Currently), Eastern AC
Keuka (NY) - Ty Trombley, Keuka Interim HC
Lawrence (WI-2025) - Michael Zadorga, Davis and Elkins HC

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”