Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Stix

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Stix »

I thought UNC best players were from NY and PA.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Carolinagrad wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:33 pm With all their impact seniors taking their fifth year plus Ball, Maryland has a very talented roster. They should be a Final 4 team next year.
Like others have stated, until Maryland finds a high caliber attacker and commits to a playing style, they won't be going anywhere near championship weekend. Not to mention there are already teams ahead of them who they have to get better than
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

On paper, I thought Maryland was a final four team in 2023. And then ... they just weren't.

Folks mention their seniors coming back, but it seems to me that they have a lot of "rot" in the underclasses (transfers, injuries, kids not developing as expected) which makes it hard to "re-load". Anyone close to this care to weigh in?
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

UO22 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:09 am A lot of headaches associated with some players/families. It appears the Gators did their homework.
Is there a back story to this you can share UO22?
UO22

Post by UO22 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:23 am
UO22 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:09 am A lot of headaches associated with some players/families. It appears the Gators did their homework.
There is for sure. Not going to share the specifics in this forum. I was simply giving credit to the Gators doing their diligence on the player.
Last edited by UO22 on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

I heard the same this weekend at the IWLCA tournament on the surprise of USF commit. At the end of the day, coaches aren’t kidding when they say they are recruiting not just the player but the entire family.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

For those closer to wlax what are you hearing about new programs like USF, UNCC and Rhode Island?
Last edited by RollTheCrease on Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Carolinagrad wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:33 pm With all their impact seniors taking their fifth year plus Ball, Maryland has a very talented roster. They should be a Final 4 team next year.
Are these impact seniors the same ones who made up Maryland's offense this past season? If so, well...it seems like the offense was the problem, and they didn't really get much better over the course of the season, so I'm not sure why anyone would be all that excited to have them back.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

ultravisitor wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:51 pm
Are these impact seniors the same ones who made up Maryland's offense this past season? If so, well...it seems like the offense was the problem, and they didn't really get much better over the course of the season, so I'm not sure why anyone would be all that excited to have them back.
I think as a coach you'd rather have continuity than completely start over and they get a chance to build more chemistry. That's the positive side of it, but their offense needs a lot of work. The two things I'm interested in seeing next year if Leubecker can stay healthy after playing with an injury for much of the season and how Clevenger does without the passing of her mom hanging over her. She wasn't always with the team at times last season as her mom's health got worse.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

jff97 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:16 pm
I think as a coach you'd rather have continuity than completely start over and they get a chance to build more chemistry. That's the positive side of it, but their offense needs a lot of work. The two things I'm interested in seeing next year if Leubecker can stay healthy after playing with an injury for much of the season and how Clevenger does without the passing of her mom hanging over her. She wasn't always with the team at times last season as her mom's health got worse.
It’s really important that the UMD royalty of lacrosse increase its championship lead over #2 NW by more than 8. We need double digits and nothing less. Cathy will have the elite program angry and motivated. We need 2 more to insure nobody catches up in 100 years.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

UO22 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:44 am
There is for sure. Not going to share the specifics in this forum. I was simply giving credit to the Gators doing their diligence on the player.
Dad is nightmare. Period. Not sure why USF is willing to deal with it because McCord is firm on the right families and players from a values standpoint.

Daughter follows in same steps as dad.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

intheknow247 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:07 pm
Dad is nightmare. Period. Not sure why USF is willing to deal with it because McCord is firm on the right families and players from a values standpoint.

I missed something Who are we talking about?
It is true Travel club owners always said coaches don’t just take the kid They look at the whole family
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Fischer wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:39 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:07 pm

I missed something Who are we talking about?
It is true Travel club owners always said coaches don’t just take the kid They look at the whole family
It is absolutely true.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

jff97 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:16 pm
I understand the continuity aspect, but at the same time, the longer these players stick around, the less opportunity they have to develop the underclassmen. Having them stick around might turn out to be good next season, but what does that mean for subsequent seasons when those players taking their extra year are all gone?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

The extra Covid year has a been a boon to coaches as I concur with the view it’s much more expedient to play a 5th year then take a chance on a first year. And since many players actually do get better with more experience, particularly on defense, having a group of players whom you’ve coached for 5 full years should make you a better team

But I, for one, will be glad when the Covid bump is over and the portal goes back to true redshirts and unhappy players—which is less than half the portal activity we’ve seen since 2021.
More cohesiveness, more focus on development of culture and skills. I think it’s better for the game….
didio123

Post by didio123 »

Chepenik is back on the roster lol 👀
njbill

Post by njbill »

When Covid hit and the 2020 season got canceled, it seemed to many (especially current players and at least some of their parents) like the magnanimous thing to do to grant players an extra year of eligibility. Others questioned the wisdom of the move. Parents of younger players still in high school accurately predicted that their kids’ college playing time would be adversely impacted.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think it was wrong to grant a Covid year. At least some of the transferring that has gone on in recent years and is still occurring seems at least in part to be due to lack of playing time occasioned by colleges bringing in players using their Covid year. When a fifth year transfers from one school to another, the PT apple cart at the new school gets upset.

This is an overgeneralization, but it has helped the top tier of players to the detriment of those in the middle tier and below, including younger players. It turned into a zero sum game.

And now the powers that be are considering a move that will further decrease playing time. Don’t do it.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

njbill wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:37 am When Covid hit and the 2020 season got canceled, it seemed to many (especially current players and at least some of their parents) like the magnanimous thing to do to grant players an extra year of eligibility. Others questioned the wisdom of the move. Parents of younger players still in high school accurately predicted that their kids’ college playing time would be adversely impacted.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think it was wrong to grant a Covid year. At least some of the transferring that has gone on in recent years and is still occurring seems at least in part to be due to lack of playing time occasioned by colleges bringing in players using their Covid year. When a fifth year transfers from one school to another, the PT apple cart at the new school gets upset.

This is an overgeneralization, but it has helped the top tier of players to the detriment of those in the middle tier and below, including younger players. It turned into a zero sum game.

And now the powers that be are considering a move that will further decrease playing time. Don’t do it.
Well said.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

intheknow247 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:24 pm Yes, coaches are the only ones with access so anyone proving info has a coach letting them in on the news. With that said:

1. Four Maryland girls are in it, yikes...
2. Chepnik is getting hosed with $ at Clemson and is ticked. Her being removed from current website is because of her departing, she will be on the 2023 roster when you look back from future years - but don't be fooled, Kwolek dictated to have her taken off).
3. Humphries are an interesting story, don't sleep on Ashley leaving Stanford.
4. LoPinto wants more, as do a lot of players, to compete for NCAA title. Cuse is not an option for her though.
1. Emma Muchnick saying goodbye to Maryland.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Agostino to Clemson

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”