Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpere

Re: Navy 2019

Post by laxpere »

SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm I believe Wellner loves Navy, everything about the USNA structure, the quality of young men that he works with, etc.
What are the chances Navy is looking for a new leader? And would Wellner be in the mix?
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm No doubt. If the opportunity presents itself, he could fill that role.
laxxygilmore wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 pm Perhaps. IMHO, that would be a positive change for the Navy MLax program in general, and the Mids in particular, after the past eight seasons sans sustainable success @ 54-56/.490, with W seasons @ 3 of 8/.375 and PLT Championships @ 0 of 8/.000, with a PLT games W-L @ 0-5/.000, including the last three seasons @ 21-20/.512, with W seasons @ 1 of 3/.333 and PLT Championships @ 0 for 3/.000, with PLT games W-L @ 0-2/.000.

During the Coach Sowell era, there have been unfortunate departures of outstanding assistant coaches, all of whom greatly valued and appreciated their close association with the Mids of Navy MLax, starting with...
*Asst. Coach Anthony Gilardi departing Navy and taking the O reigns at Towson for Coach Nadalen soon after Coach Sowell's arrival at Navy in 2011.
*Asst. Coach, and former Navy team captain, JL Reppert, departing Navy and taking over the O reigns at Maryland for Coach Tillman starting in the fall of 2014.
*Asst. Coach Mike Phipps departing Navy and taking over the O reigns at Georgetown for Coach Warne starting in the fall of 2017.
*And last, but not least, former Navy Gk AA Mickey Jarboe, departing a volunteer coaching slot at Navy he loved and had tremendous success with in developing Navy's Gk ranks from 2012-2015.
...so, if "past is prologue", and the historical record book dots and staff turnover dots are connected / considered, it's not unreasonable to expect the possible departures in the weeks / months ahead of Assoc. Head Coach Wellner for a well deserved HC opportunity elsewhere, and Asst. Coach Rob Camposa and Volunteer Coach Spencer Parks, as well, for other possible career opportunities. So we'll see.
Some color from another forum from some familiar posters. No need to debate the record now.

It would be great to hear from some perspective from SonnySide since he played for two of the OCs and should know why they left. Were the Reppert and Phipps departures opportunity driven at all? Both schools are more attractive from a social, and probably lacrosse, standpoint. Did the ability to recruit more easily and use transfers to fill in holes factor into their decision process?

What does the new coach need to bring to the Navy Lacrosse table?
Does he need to have a tie to the Navy Lacrosse program?
Is Wellner in the mix? I haven't seen any vitriol directed at him so is he an acceptable candidate?
What additional changes are necessary to make 2020 and beyond a success?
Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... ssion=true
In a message to the team’s supporters, Sowell wrote, “All, before the word hits the streets, I want you to hear it from me….I am no longer the head coach at Navy!! It’s a sad day for me, yes, it was a total surprise! For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it. I’ll be rooting for you!! Coach Sowell.”
Whelp, a faint, parting shot from Sowell.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Well, I can't say that I feel bad for the guy. Compared to when his widely respected predecessor was fired, I think we will see a lot of candidates that are more than qualified to take over as the new HC.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 am https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... ssion=true
In a message to the team’s supporters, Sowell wrote, “All, before the word hits the streets, I want you to hear it from me….I am no longer the head coach at Navy!! It’s a sad day for me, yes, it was a total surprise! For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it. I’ll be rooting for you!! Coach Sowell.”
Whelp, a faint, parting shot from Sowell.
Correct, because Meade was McGyver w the program. He took a few paper clips & duct tape and made it work. Those players couldn’t believe he was let go. Tremors occurred. That won’t happen w this change!!!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Correct, because Meade was McGyver w the program. He took a few paper clips & duct tape and made it work. Those players couldn’t believe he was let go. Tremors occurred. That won’t happen w this change!!!
Richie is an unbelievably great guy, especially in the cutthroat world of DI college sports. (Although it wouldn’t be unfair to say that he had his best results working with John Tillman.). It was always going to be tough for anybody coming in after one of the best guys in lacrosse was forced out. To be the guy after the guy who replaced Richie Meade is a much better spot. I would think there might be more people interested this time around?
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

WOW! We all questioned a change and if it would come and man did we get our answer. Certainly was not expecting it now but it makes sense in what could be a pivotal period of recruiting. Navy has a Top 10 recruiting class (on IL) with the 2020’s.

As someone close to the program- I hope Coach Wellner is given this opportunity. He is ready and would steer this ship forward. He most definitely will have the FULL support of the players and incoming recruits.

Sometimes a slight tweak is all that is needed to push forward after a bump in the road.

I feel for all affected here- these are real people, with young families. No matter what I hope they will be ok.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I don’t like celebrating when someone has a bad day. And as you said, there are real people involved with young kids.

But to be fair, Sowell the environment he was stepping into 8 years ago. He knew that Chet was prone to sudden changes out of the blue. It’s how he got the job!

Sowell won the lottery for the past 8 years. He was well paid. He landed one of the top lax gigs at Navy. I believe he and his family will be ok.

But at this point some questions do remain: He was “relieved of his duties.” That says nothing about being canned from his contract that ran through 2021...So the lottery ticket may still be in-hand.

Given the news in the Cap Gazette all those mos ago about Navy and Chet’s financial handlings, it will be interesting if that side of the story gets a follow up.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The good news is, "He and his family will be ok". The other good news is, he's no longer the HC at Navy.
I don't believe he's been a good fit at Navy from day one, glad to see a change has been made made.
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

Can’t say I’m sorry to see him go. Never thought he was a good fit for the program and, during his tenure, we watched as some really great coaching talent cane and went. In the end, I think it was his losses to Army that spelled his demise. In Chet’s world coaches can’t rack up too many losses to Army.

Interesting his contract is good for 2 years. So does he stay and teach or leave?
LL
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

LadyLaker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 am Can’t say I’m sorry to see him go. Never thought he was a good fit for the program and, during his tenure, we watched as some really great coaching talent cane and went. In the end, I think it was his losses to Army that spelled his demise. In Chet’s world coaches can’t rack up too many losses to Army.

Interesting his contract is good for 2 years. So does he stay and teach or leave?
LL
I don't understand this statement, at all. It seems to me the assistant coaching turnover was less at the US Naval Academy than other Div. 1 schools, in the same time frame. What "great coaching talent" did you see come and go from the USNA as compared to Army, or Bucknell, UNC or Vermont, or Yale?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 am I don’t like celebrating when someone has a bad day. And as you said, there are real people involved with young kids.
But to be fair, Sowell the environment he was stepping into 8 years ago. He knew that Chet was prone to sudden changes out of the blue. It’s how he got the job!
DMac wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 am The good news is, "He and his family will be ok". The other good news is, he's no longer the HC at Navy.
I don't believe he's been a good fit at Navy from day one, glad to see a change has been made made.
LadyLaker wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 am Can’t say I’m sorry to see him go. Never thought he was a good fit for the program and, during his tenure, we watched as some really great coaching talent cane and went.
There is already a well established theme that Coach Sowell was a bad fit for Navy Lacrosse. It would be helpful to understand the basis for that view. Let's be fair, I guess Coach Sowell didn't anticipate the "hornet's nest" that Navy Lacrosse became.

He knew that the AD was prone to sudden changes? But wasn't Coach Sowell's predecessor there a long time? This forum doesn't have the full history but it seems like there was little alumni support from the start. Some even cut off their financial support. It seems like the former coach's war waged against Coach Sowell from the get go and not even the success in the 2014-8 timeframe, including a NCAA quarter final, was enough.

If it was losing OCs was one of the reasons, didn't one OC leave in 2014 and the offense improved the next three years under the next OC? I would like to hear SonnySide's view of the OCs and their departures. He played for both and will hopefully offer up some perspective. Were the departures opportunity driven at all? Aren't the two other schools more attractive for coaches from a lacrosse standpoint? I would argue that they're very different environments than Navy, as recruiting is easier and transfers can fill holes quickly.

Maybe there was limited player support too judging by how quickly Coach Sowell's full text was passed along to College Crosse and others.

No matter what, the timing is peculiar. Not only is the season barely over for most teams, one of the most important and challenging weeks of the academic year is here for the players. A huge distraction for them could have been avoided if the AD had waited until next week or even the week after? Given the building rumors about the OC's return to his alma mater, could it even have been a distraction for Maryland's vaunted offense last night? Could we see an announcement on Monday, if Maryand fails to make the NCAA tourney?

The grave dancers are not going away and that's fine with me, but I am with Healthy in looking forward. The first part of HC change has arrived so what other changes are necessary to make 2020 and beyond successful?
What does the new coach need to bring to the Navy Lacrosse table?
Does he need to have a tie to the Navy Lacrosse program?
Is Wellner in the mix? I haven't seen any vitriol directed at him so is he an acceptable candidate?

As highlighted in previous posts, the 2019 Navy Lacrosse team was young and they gained invaluable experience this season. The new coach should be primed to excel from the start since he inherits strong starting attack and defensive lines. Most have at least two years left. The outstanding goalie is here next year too. Yes, Youth, the talent is there. If the midfield steps it up, Navy Lacrosse is poised for a successful 2020 season.

Best wishes to Coach Sowell too.

Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Have to chuckle at the "bad fit" and "losing coaches" on offense as the reason Navy hasn't done much. Likewise, Coach Meade using duct tape and the whole MacGyver comparison!! I guess he will need new tools to get Furman winning. Coach Sowell's career record is often maligned on this board and his lack of coaching adjustments. I guess Meade's recent W/L record is irrelevant!! As a Hopkins fan, it astounds me that the coach is criticized for players making dumb decisions or poor passes or turnovers. I doubt many coaches actually coach for turnovers. Sowell knew, like Petro, that the expectations are high(some might say unrealistic), but that is why they are paid the big buck. Coach Sowell will land somewhere...look at his success at Dartmouth and Stony Brook-and the lack thereof since he left. He also came within a whisker of a FF at Navy. Other than Loyola, not sure you will see a team from your league making that happen. He developed an explosive offense at Stony Brook and he got to Navy and forgot how to make that work?? A Hopkins parent was remarking that had Bubba Fairman and Shockey(among others) not de-committed, who knows how that would've changed Sowell's future? Oh well, I guess Coach Tillman--and his staff--aren't the O geniuses that some on this board believe(our weak litte Blue Jays held them to 1 second half goal)--so much for the turtles brain trust and their halftime adjustments. Would love to see Sowell work with the O talent that Maryland has; or, coach up the Hopkins O talent. I believe Sowell has taken 3 different teams to the NCAA's. Navy may get back there, but Stony Brook and Dartmouth may never get back there(and Sowell won a tournament game with Stony Brook(.

All the best to Coach Sowell and his family--and his assistants,too.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

oldjayfan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 am Have to chuckle at the "bad fit" and "losing coaches" on offense as the reason Navy hasn't done much. Likewise, Coach Meade using duct tape and the whole MacGyver comparison!! I guess he will need new tools to get Furman winning. Coach Sowell's career record is often maligned on this board and his lack of coaching adjustments. I guess Meade's recent W/L record is irrelevant!! As a Hopkins fan, it astounds me that the coach is criticized for players making dumb decisions or poor passes or turnovers. I doubt many coaches actually coach for turnovers. Sowell knew, like Petro, that the expectations are high(some might say unrealistic), but that is why they are paid the big buck. Coach Sowell will land somewhere...look at his success at Dartmouth and Stony Brook-and the lack thereof since he left. He also came within a whisker of a FF at Navy. Other than Loyola, not sure you will see a team from your league making that happen. He developed an explosive offense at Stony Brook and he got to Navy and forgot how to make that work?? A Hopkins parent was remarking that had Bubba Fairman and Shockey(among others) not de-committed, who knows how that would've changed Sowell's future? Oh well, I guess Coach Tillman--and his staff--aren't the O geniuses that some on this board believe(our weak litte Blue Jays held them to 1 second half goal)--so much for the turtles brain trust and their halftime adjustments. Would love to see Sowell work with the O talent that Maryland has; or, coach up the Hopkins O talent. I believe Sowell has taken 3 different teams to the NCAA's. Navy may get back there, but Stony Brook and Dartmouth may never get back there(and Sowell won a tournament game with Stony Brook(.

All the best to Coach Sowell and his family--and his assistants,too.
Great post. I have to agree 100 percent with all of your points and then some. I think that Coach Sowell was blamed for a crumbling Bancroft Hall too.

Number one, players need to step up in the heat of the battle and make plays, not coaches. Coaches can only do so much as you point out with Maryland's offense.

On the personnel front, not only did Shockey leave NAPS last year, Koby Smith did too. Barry filled the FO void well this year, but Smith would have had an impact. Goes without saying with Bubba. Also, any one know why the 2020 class is so small? Only seven rising senior seems really low.

Best wishes to Coach Sowell and his family. Same to Coaches Wellner and Camposa, but hopefully they stay at Navy.

Go Navy!
Last edited by laxpere on Fri May 03, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

laxpere wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 pm
SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.
SonnySide,
Good to rehash especially with your perspective as a recent player. Since you played for both OCs, why did they leave? Would you please share the real reasons? Reins were too tight, etc?

Also, do you think that both of them would have had the same results at Navy as they have had at Maryland and Georgetown, respectively? Would their offensive strategies have worked at Navy if they didn't leave? Why was there was more success under Phipps than Reppert? Does personnel explain it or were there other factors?

Any suggestions to improve the program beyond changes on the offensive front? How is the recruiting effort and is there anything that can change there?
Go Navy!
There is no doubt I think the offense would have been better at Navy under them. I would think Phipps especially, if you see what he is doing with the Georgetown offense. Guys like Keena, Hanzsche, Ray, Rees, Flounlacker, Torain, Wade, Daniel, etc... I would say are similar talent wise if not better than what Georgetown has. And just look at Gtown's stats. Hard to say about Maryland because their talent is much better and through the roof every year.

I am not sure why Reppert left, but I don't think he and Coach Sowell got along very well. As far as Phipps goes - he was the best coach I have ever played for. I believe all he wanted to do was have control of the offense at Navy, but was never given that opportunity for some reason.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

28 Shot's on Goal (Terps vs Hopkins ), or an average of 14 a game. Yeah....sign me up for THAT kind of offense. :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Sowell didn’t exactly ingratiate himself by sniffing around the UVa vacancy when Starsia was let go.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 am Sowell didn’t exactly ingratiate himself by sniffing around the UVa vacancy when Starsia was let go.
But Lars did?

From day one.....The not so thinly veiled "interesting southern type" MAGA/tRump views/comments that "some" Navy "fans" have........ from the "affirmative action hire" comment from all those years ago , to today's "nevah was the right fit", coupled with the TWO examples (over 8 years) of assistant coaches leaving, you keep on showing your true colors.

Remember, Coach Meade made the n$aa once....and only once.....during is first 9 seasons. The 2003 team finished with a 6-7 record, tied for last place in the ECAC (what?) Made it to the finals the following year 2004. Had ONE winning season in his first five seasons.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 am Sowell didn’t exactly ingratiate himself by sniffing around the UVa vacancy when Starsia was let go.
Wow! If UVA called, not sure how many coaches wouldn't at least listen? The ACC is the most prestigious conference in the country. The B1G is gaining, but the ACC is the straw that stirs the NCAA lacrosse drink.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I lay all of this mess, for the past decade, including all the infighting, the poor record, low attendance and Sowell's surprise firing, at Chet's feet. He created the whole mess. As alluded to earlier, Sowell was in a lose-lose situation by accepting a position and following an institutional legend that was let go in the completely wrong fashion. I'm not saying Meade was the GOAT, I'm simply saying he deserved to be dealt with in a much more respectful manner. And Sowell should not be surprised that he was canned in the exact same, shi tty way that Meade was let go.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

oldjayfan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am
Wow! If UVA called, not sure how many coaches wouldn't at least listen? The ACC is the most prestigious conference in the country. The B1G is gaining, but the ACC is the straw that stirs the NCAA lacrosse drink.
r3 makes no sense, as usual. Reading comprehension is a challenge for him.

And no, as I understood it at the time, Sowell inquired at UVa on his own initiative. Was not contacted by UVa. Other way around. With big Navy contract in hand. In other words, reason for powers that be in Annapolis to not be happy, and they weren’t happy. Very bad indicator of where a person’s commitment and priorities are.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”