Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by LaxDadMax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:12 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:29 am
PhanLax99 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:48 am Oregon and Brown have their coach and should be announced soon. Oregon hired an associate head coach who is a really good fit for a program that is unique in many ways. Brown hired an assistant with head coaching experience, definitely a home run hire in my opinion. The Ivy is starting to become very interesting with this coach coming into the fold.
Interesting to see who Brown gets.

Brown (along with Columbia) are massively underresourced compared to the rest of their Ivy League competitors. (Facilities, # of recruiting slots, overall budget).

Probably the hardest Ivy League job. (Columbia is probably resourced less, but has ZERO expectations).
Not sure about Columbia ... but $25M is not peanuts:

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/vide ... e-facility

It's a nice facility, but they still have no indoor facilty; weight room is small for number of teams it supports and no dedicated sport for speed/agility work.

Combined with high expectations, this is a very hard job.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:48 am Oregon and Brown have their coach and should be announced soon. Oregon hired an associate head coach who is a really good fit for a program that is unique in many ways. Brown hired an assistant with head coaching experience, definitely a home run hire in my opinion. The Ivy is starting to become very interesting with this coach coming into the fold.

Brown (along with Columbia) are massively underresourced compared to the rest of their Ivy League competitors. (Facilities, # of recruiting slots, overall budget).

Probably the hardest Ivy League job. (Columbia is probably resourced less, but has ZERO expectations).
This is not true about Brown. They have spent massive amounts on their new facilities including a brand new lacrosse and soccer field with new locker rooms and associated facilities.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:10 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:12 am

Not sure about Columbia ... but $25M is not peanuts:

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/vide ... e-facility

It's a nice facility, but they still have no indoor facilty; weight room is small for number of teams it supports and no dedicated sport for speed/agility work.

Combined with high expectations, this is a very hard job.
Brown has the nicest lacrosse facility in the Ivies other than Yale. The strength, speed and agility resources are fine. Certainly not massively under resourced and not a significant factor in the women’s W/L record. The men have done just fine with the current facilities, winning the Ivies last year, producing a recent Tewy winner and going to the Final Four only five seasons ago. Admissions slots are strong as lacrosse is a point of emphasis in the athletic department strategic plan. Of course all Ivies are bound by AI so there is only so much wiggle room at admissions.

Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly with your post. :-)
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Katrina Dowd
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Dowd resigned after only two years at Oregon.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

suffolk wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:15 pm Dowd resigned after only two years at Oregon.
That doesn’t seem to have swayed Brown from hiring her.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:36 am
suffolk wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:15 pm Dowd resigned after only two years at Oregon.
That doesn’t seem to have swayed Brown from hiring her.
Are you saying that Katrina Dowd will be the next head coach at Brown?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

That is my understanding, yes. But I am not sure where in the process it is.
kidsgame

Post by kidsgame »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:19 am
kidsgame wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:30 pm I wonder if the Patriot League assistant is one of the Colgate assistants abandoning ship?
I have no info on this. But their lead assistant Jessica Becker is VERY well regarded in the college lax world. Lots of girls (including one of my daughters) love her.

If not this job, she will get a head coach job soon.
Why doesn't Colgate just move on from KT and make Jessica Baker the HC? Starters from last year's team are in the transfer portal, if they do not correct the situation soon it will be too late.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Any rumors on Ohio State yet?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

kidsgame wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:50 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:19 am
kidsgame wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:30 pm I wonder if the Patriot League assistant is one of the Colgate assistants abandoning ship?
I have no info on this. But their lead assistant Jessica Becker is VERY well regarded in the college lax world. Lots of girls (including one of my daughters) love her.

If not this job, she will get a head coach job soon.
Why doesn't Colgate just move on from KT and make Jessica Baker the HC? Starters from last year's team are in the transfer portal, if they do not correct the situation soon it will be too late.
Remember Colgate doesn't have an AD right now. My assumption is they will let the new AD make the decision here.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:48 pm Any rumors on Ohio State yet?
I heard that candidates are going on campus this week. Seems like they are down to 2-3. 2 current head coaches (one that participated in the NCAA tourney) and one assistant from the ACC. Maybe Phil Barnes looks to jump back in the head coach roll or a look at Sam Apuzzo after seeing what Kayla has done at Cuse.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

PhanLax99 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:10 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:48 pm Any rumors on Ohio State yet?
I heard that candidates are going on campus this week. Seems like they are down to 2-3. 2 current head coaches (one that participated in the NCAA tourney) and one assistant from the ACC. Maybe Phil Barnes looks to jump back in the head coach roll or a look at Sam Apuzzo after seeing what Kayla has done at Cuse.
tbh anything less than a top 10ish Job i don't see Barnes leaving. He's got a pretty good gig at UNC that prob pays him more than most head coaches. He's also the head of recruiting at UNC and has been the biggest reason to UNC's recruiting success even though Levy gets alot of the credit.

Apuzzo is intriguing. I think KT was a perfect combo of several factors that lead to her success. That's hard to replicate (not saying Apuzzo can't be successful) but maybe that's exactly what ohio state needs. They are competing with Michigan and Denver for alot of the same recruits and are a distant third.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

I wonder how this affects their 2025 recruiting. They have a few prospect camps coming up being run by Van Thof. Wonder if people are dropping out because of it.
Insidelax33

Post by Insidelax33 »

Heard from a source in the coaching circles:

Finalist for OSU are coming to campus this week. Includes head coach from ECU, head coach from Albany, and assistant coach from Clemson.

Personal opinion: Gina Oliver is the best choice and I think they are overcomplicating it by bringing in outsiders.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Insidelax33 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:42 am Heard from a source in the coaching circles:

Finalist for OSU are coming to campus this week. Includes head coach from ECU, head coach from Albany, and assistant coach from Clemson.

Personal opinion: Gina Oliver is the best choice and I think they are overcomplicating it by bringing in outsiders.
Kudos to Albany for an historic season. But if they hadn’t beaten uva in a unicorn game (coming back from 7 or 8 goals down) that they lose 5 times out of 6, the season isn’t historic….it’s meh. And Albany may get better recruits than osu given the incredible funding for in state recruits effectively gives them more than 12 scholarships…..
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Insidelax33 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:42 am Heard from a source in the coaching circles:

Carter or Olin?
Insidelax33

Post by Insidelax33 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:08 pm

Carter or Olin?
My person said Olin. Seems as if several bigger name candidates declined the interview process.
Insidelax33

Post by Insidelax33 »

Oregon hired an alum, Jess Drummond, who has been instrumental in turning the Vermont program into an AE contender.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I hope that Gina stays at Cincy and continues to build that team. OSU messed over Gina years ago when that HC job was open. She is the BEST player to ever come out of that program and they showed her no respect. I have a rooting interest at Ohio State and outside of her, I don't care. I've never let that Gina thing go...and I never will.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”