All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:29 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:40 am
DMac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:04 am From one of your many woke writer's articles.
While neo-Nazis and other extremists are rare in the U.S. armed forces, exactly how rare is not known.
Also noted in these writer's articles is the military's implementation of more stringent background checks/screening processes. Sleep tight, the military doesn't want these types either.
We'll be okay. Meanwhile, try to figure out a way to get our unhealthy, obese youth in good enough condition to be able to get in the military. Bigger pool = more selectivity.
I sleep good! Who said the military wants them?
This is indeed the point.
The military doesn't want them and that bothers some people quite a lot.
It has become popular in some circles, now much of the GOP and right wing media, to complain that the military has become 'soft' and 'woke'.
It’s odd how maybe 10 transgender athletes across the country is a bigger problem with some people that this strain of white supremacy that many people have independently verified and was evidenced by the number of folks involved with January 6th fiasco…..a blind spot…..
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:38 am
DMac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:04 am From one of your many woke writer's articles.
While neo-Nazis and other extremists are rare in the U.S. armed forces, exactly how rare is not known.
Also noted in these writer's articles is the military's implementation of more stringent background checks/screening processes. Sleep tight, the military doesn't want these types either.
We'll be okay. Meanwhile, try to figure out a way to get our unhealthy, obese youth in good enough condition to be able to get in the military. Bigger pool = more selectivity.
So now you trust government?

Bigger pool means conscription. So you don’t have fat f**ks like trump scamming their way out only to years alter comment the way he did about McCain.

Or manage to eradicate food desserts so these impoverished people don’t have to shop at dollar general for their grocers.

Either way it’s the mental health that’s the issue of these folks not their boy fat %
My best friend’s son just joined the Army….. he told me yesterday…. “he in good shape”….. former college football DB looking for a challenge. Off to either North or South Carolina in August…..
DMac

Post by DMac »

My bad, didn't realize the intent of your post was to show that the military doesn't want these types.
From one of the woke writer's articles.
While very few veterans returning from war join white power groups, the groups still feature an enormous percentage of people who are veterans or active duty – or falsely claim to be.
or falsely claim to be
I would add to that many of these bad apples highly exaggerate their military experience wanting everyone believe they did everything short of falling on a grenade for their comrades when in reality they loaded boxes into supply planes. Most of those veterans never got close to a war, probably never fired a weapon, or had any kind of combat training.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:10 am
My bad, didn't realize the intent of your post was to show that the military doesn't want these types.
While very few veterans returning from war join white power groups, the groups still feature an enormous percentage of people who are veterans or active duty – or falsely claim to be.
or falsely claim to be
I would add to that many of these bad apples highly exaggerate their military experience wanting everyone believe they did everything short of falling on a grenade for their comrades when in reality they loaded boxes into supply planes. Most of those veterans never got close to a war, probably never fired a weapon, or had any kind of combat training.
I am not sure anyone has said the military wants these type of people….Seems to be a problem identified by military professionals. Not sure what can be done about it.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

or falsely claim to be
I never got close to a war, at least any closer than the Iran Hostage crisis. When you ask anybody here about the carnage at Desert One. Do any of you even remember what happened at desert one? I do, our leadership showed us the pictures of our dead service members bodies being desecrated and abused . It effected me deeply not that it mattered to any of you folks on this forum. You didn't have skin in the game back then well I did . I saw those uncensored pictures of the Iranians smiling and picking off charred pieces of those dead soldiers with their knives. How the heck do you think that made me feel??? How the heck do you think it made my fellow soldiers feel? Who knows, maybe TLD will declare that I sound dumb?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

.... didn't have skin in the game. :roll: We were and are Americans. Some of us knew hostages whether in the military service or not. Get over yourself. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:46 am
or falsely claim to be
I am not sure anyone has said the military wants these type of people….Seems to be a problem identified by military professionals. Not sure what can be done about it.
You're something else, TLD. If salty comes on and says the sky is blue you'll be the next poster on with a contradiction to that, water is wet...etc. Despite your backpedaling you aint bullschittin' no one (certainly not me) with the intent of your woke writers articles post here.
As for the new Army recruit, tell him I said congratulations. A new world of adventure and opportunity awaits him. He too now can be quickly labeled as one more likely to be attracted to militant and supremacy groups/organizations than the rest his fellow Americans because of his military service. Cuz he's fit don't mean we aint faced with a problem of there not being enough like him.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... %20service.
As for your blind spot comment...more bullschidt. Yup, I participated in the topic of the day and expressed my opinion about it all just like you did. I find the physical condition of so many of our youth, who aren't even fit enough to join the military for chrissakes, to be a greater concern than how many trans people are drinking what kind of beer and/or competing on ballfiedls and in swimming pools. See obese America, it's a pretty sad state of affairs.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:04 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:46 am
or falsely claim to be
You're something else, TLD. If salty comes on and says the sky is blue you'll be the next poster on with a contradiction to that, water is wet...etc. Despite your backpedaling you aint bullschittin' no one (certainly not me) with the intent of your woke writers articles post here.
As for the new Army recruit, tell him I said congratulations. A new world of adventure and opportunity awaits him. He too now can be quickly labeled as one more likely to be attracted to militant and supremacy groups/organizations than the rest his fellow Americans because of his military service. Cuz he's fit don't mean we aint faced with a problem of there not being enough like him.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... %20service.
As for your blind spot comment...more bullschidt. Yup, I participated in the topic of the day and expressed my opinion about it all just like you did. I find the physical condition of so many of our youth, who aren't even fit enough to join the military for chrissakes, to be a greater concern than how many trans people are drinking what kind of beer and/or competing on ballfiedls and in swimming pools. See obese America, it's a pretty sad state of affairs.
So the United States military apparatus has not identified “white supremacy” as a concern?

You are right about Old Salt. I admit it. I don’t like his forum persona.

Who here has said we don’t have a problem with obesity among youths and adults in this country? It’s undeniable. Not sure how that is related to white supremacy…..unless you mean the military wouldn’t have to take them in if the candidate pool were larger….Is that your argument? we pick and chose what we fret over. I like to point out facts. It’s my nature.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote
So the United States military apparatus has not identified “white supremacy” as a concern?

Who here has said we don’t have a problem with obesity among youths and adults in this country? It’s undeniable. Not sure how that is related to white supremacy…..unless you mean the military wouldn’t have to take them in if the candidate pool were larger….Is that your argument? we pick and chose what we fret over. I like to point out facts. It’s my nature.
Your style: Who said the military apparatus doesn't recognize "white supremacy" as a concern? Seems quite the opposite to me, seems as if they recognize there's an element and are taking steps to try to eliminate/control it as best they can.
Yes, a larger pool of fit Americans to choose from would result in the recruiter's ability to be more selective about who does and doesn't get in (this in no way suggests that they currently turn a blind eye to white supremacists currently). I did this for nearly four years...lot of quotas for ethnicities, sexes (was no confusion there) level of educations, etc.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote

Your style: Who said the military apparatus doesn't recognize "white supremacy" as a concern? Seems quite the opposite to me, seems as if they recognize there's an element and are taking steps to try to eliminate/control it as best they can.
Yes, a larger pool of fit Americans to choose from would result in the recruiter's ability to be more selective about who does and doesn't get in (this in no way suggests that they currently turn a blind eye to white supremacists currently). I did this for nearly four years...lot of quotas for ethnicities, sexes (was no confusion there) level of educations, etc.
You were implying that people posting here were suggesting that the military wants these type of people.

When you refer to “woke writers”, I am not sure if you are excluding the problem as being identified by US military and government officials.

So your statement implies that recruiters are taking in these folks knowingly and would avoid them if there were a deeper pool.

Were those “goals” or “quotas” for a diverse candidate pool?
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:57 am
or falsely claim to be
I never got close to a war, at least any closer than the Iran Hostage crisis. When you ask anybody here about the carnage at Desert One. Do any of you even remember what happened at desert one? I do, our leadership showed us the pictures of our dead service members bodies being desecrated and abused . It effected me deeply not that it mattered to any of you folks on this forum. You didn't have skin in the game back then well I did . I saw those uncensored pictures of the Iranians smiling and picking off charred pieces of those dead soldiers with their knives. How the heck do you think that made me feel??? How the heck do you think it made my fellow soldiers feel? Who knows, maybe TLD will declare that I sound dumb?
You sound idiotic.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm confused as well.

The article I posted contains a whole set of factors that are contributing to the reduction in recruitment.

I don't think there was any suggestion that screening out those relatively few with white supremacist beliefs was contributing to the issue of not enough recruits.

what they did seem to say, my words, was that demonizing the military as open to and accepting of white supremacists could contribute to the desire of some potential recruits to not want to be associated with such an organization, a reduction in overall interest in joining the military...but the military is making serious efforts to address this with real attention to screening out, removing, and not recruiting those with such extremist beliefs. I don't think articles that describe this effort are particularly 'woke', in the pejorative sense, nor are these efforts 'woke' in the pejorative sense. Now, if we mean the original intent of the word "woke" as something positive, awakening to issues, then sure.

But the flip side of the demonization of the military as accepting of white supremacists is the demonization of the military as 'woke' and 'soft'...that's going to turn a heck of a lot of people off who don't want politics to have anything to do with military service. Unlikely to be 'white supremacists' they may simply not be all that worldly at their age, not exposed yet to diverse views...but they consume those attacks from right wing media... Both attacks are unhelpful, and neither are correct.

Surely the issue of youth obesity, nor obesity in the ranks, is not related to the issues of white supremacy? White supremacists aren't likely to more or less 'fit', right? If there's evidence otherwise...

It's a huge problem, and one our society keeps failing to address systemically. Huge, avoidable health care costs.

Note, a very large portion of our current military fails its fitness tests each year...serious problem, though most of the physical fitness issues are in the vast areas of the military that don't have a day to day need to march 20 miles, fight hand to hand, drop from planes or helicopters, or even dig a ditch. But it has big health care cost implications for the military, federal budget.

Biggest contributor is our failure to address food issues. Exercise and mental health are interrelated with food.

BTW, take a look at some of the videos of Ukrainian soldiers who are fighting building to building, ditch to ditch...many look like fat slobs, others just overweight, others not...and yet, they're getting it done...obviously our elite fighting forces have to be in, and do maintain, much better shape, but we shouldn't underestimate motivation to fight...

And that does seem to be the biggest factor in falling recruitment, the lack of a clear foe to fight. And the sense, promulgated by both left and right, that such fights in our recent past, heck for many decades, aren't 'worth it'...

I don't think we want to solve this issue by making up an enemy, nor suffering a catastrophe like 9-11. Rather, I think we need to re-focus on the benefits, economically, of military service whether short or career, and make it more attractive for families. That may well cost more per soldier. Ok with me.

Focus on the food/exercise/mental health issues and there's lots of downstream ROI from health cost savings to be spent on supporting the soldiers and their families.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:31 am I'm confused as well.

The article I posted contains a whole set of factors that are contributing to the reduction in recruitment.

I don't think there was any suggestion that screening out those relatively few with white supremacist beliefs was contributing to the issue of not enough recruits.

what they did seem to say, my words, was that demonizing the military as open to and accepting of white supremacists could contribute to the desire of some potential recruits to not want to be associated with such an organization, a reduction in overall interest in joining the military...but the military is making serious efforts to address this with real attention to screening out, removing, and not recruiting those with such extremist beliefs. I don't think articles that describe this effort are particularly 'woke', in the pejorative sense, nor are these efforts 'woke' in the pejorative sense. Now, if we mean the original intent of the word "woke" as something positive, awakening to issues, then sure.

But the flip side of the demonization of the military as accepting of white supremacists is the demonization of the military as 'woke' and 'soft'...that's going to turn a heck of a lot of people off who don't want politics to have anything to do with military service. Unlikely to be 'white supremacists' they may simply not be all that worldly at their age, not exposed yet to diverse views...but they consume those attacks from right wing media... Both attacks are unhelpful, and neither are correct.

Surely the issue of youth obesity, nor obesity in the ranks, is not related to the issues of white supremacy? White supremacists aren't likely to more or less 'fit', right? If there's evidence otherwise...

It's a huge problem, and one our society keeps failing to address systemically. Huge, avoidable health care costs.

Note, a very large portion of our current military fails its fitness tests each year...serious problem, though most of the physical fitness issues are in the vast areas of the military that don't have a day to day need to march 20 miles, fight hand to hand, drop from planes or helicopters, or even dig a ditch. But it has big health care cost implications for the military, federal budget.

Biggest contributor is our failure to address food issues. Exercise and mental health are interrelated with food.

BTW, take a look at some of the videos of Ukrainian soldiers who are fighting building to building, ditch to ditch...many look like fat slobs, others just overweight, others not...and yet, they're getting it done...obviously our elite fighting forces have to be in, and do maintain, much better shape, but we shouldn't underestimate motivation to fight...

And that does seem to be the biggest factor in falling recruitment, the lack of a clear foe to fight. And the sense, promulgated by both left and right, that such fights in our recent past, heck for many decades, aren't 'worth it'...

I don't think we want to solve this issue by making up an enemy, nor suffering a catastrophe like 9-11. Rather, I think we need to re-focus on the benefits, economically, of military service whether short or career, and make it more attractive for families. That may well cost more per soldier. Ok with me.

Focus on the food/exercise/mental health issues and there's lots of downstream ROI from health cost savings to be spent on supporting the soldiers and their families.
+1000…. I would even favor some sort of post high school military program for a 1 or 2 year period. Been promoting that for years. The country as a whole would benefit.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Meanwhile in Canada, they are apparently discouraging military enrollment. And if you are not aware, The Shawn Ryan Show (Podcast) is gold, weekly chats from ex SOF members, CIA Ops, etc. Canada wants him banned. https://www.instagram.com/p/CtgzkCouEGU/

You can catch them on YouTUbe if you do not have a Spotify Account.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:25 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:57 am
or falsely claim to be
You sound idiotic.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: coming from an idiot such as yourself that is quite the complement. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:55 am
You were implying that people posting here were suggesting that the military wants these type of people.

When you refer to “woke writers”, I am not sure if you are excluding the problem as being identified by US military and government officials.

So your statement implies that recruiters are taking in these folks knowingly and would avoid them if there were a deeper pool.

I was implying that you would twist salty's sarcasm into exactly that.
You're the one who wrote "woke writers" who want to tell us how riddled our military is with white supremacists and the like. Yes, they damn sure would like you to think the recruiters turn a blind eye to this and I think would like you to believe they seek out and welcome these types.
"Were those “goals” or “quotas” for a diverse candidate pool?" Yes, a lot of quotas within a quota (never missed quota in fours years...whole different environment then though). Diversity was the name of the game, so many blacks, latinos, whites, males, females, education levels, etc. Nurses were a premium recruit, brought several to Mrs. McConnell the hottie nurse recruiter (Villinova grad I think), she gave me a hug and cried when I left.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:57 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:55 am

I was implying that you would twist salty's sarcasm into exactly that.
You're the one who wrote "woke writers" who want to tell us how riddled our military is with white supremacists and the like. Yes, they damn sure would like you to think the recruiters turn a blind eye to this and I think would like you to believe they seek out and welcome these types.
"Were those “goals” or “quotas” for a diverse candidate pool?" Yes, a lot of quotas within a quota (never missed quota in fours years...whole different environment then though). Diversity was the name of the game, so many blacks, latinos, whites, males, females, education levels, etc. Nurses were a premium recruit, brought several to Mrs. McConnell the hottie nurse recruiter (Villinova grad I think), she gave me a hug and cried when I left.
🤷
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:31 am I'm confused as well.

I don't think we want to solve this issue by making up an enemy, nor suffering a catastrophe like 9-11. Rather, I think we need to re-focus on the benefits, economically, of military service whether short or career, :D :D and make it more attractive for families. That may well cost more per soldier. Ok with me.

We never had a fitness issue in the infantry. We could outwalk, outrun, outshoot, out climb anybody on the planet. A 25 mile forced roadmarch in full gear just barely got our legs stretched out. The sage advice given to us was it's all about mind over matter troopers. The army doesn't mind so it doesn't matter. :D As for all of those REMFers that is another story. There were times when they would be disciplined by being attached to our platoon for some fresh air and sunshine. Inevitably one of these cherries would show up wearing brand new shiny combat boots. Ten miles into a FRM they were crying because the blisters on their feet were now bleeding. We use to tell em to take their socks off and that would help... We always made them follow at the very end of the line... they got to eat everybody's dust. :D
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:31 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:15 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:37 pm :lol: ...Pat Buchanan & I were saying it before Putin came to power.
That explains a few things ….

In his role as a political commentator for the mainstream media, former Presidential candidate Pat Buchanan has increasingly advanced an anti-Semitic, racist, and anti-immigrant ideology. Many of the views he holds are identical to those of self-declared "white nationalists." Buchanan repeatedly demonizes Jews and minorities and openly affiliates with white supremacists. Among his frequent claims is that the sovereignty of the United States is being undermined by Israeli control and Mexican incursion, a belief which he disseminates on mainstream cable and network television and in his prolific writings. Buchanan has released a book nearly every two years, many of which take the view that non-white immigrants destroy Western culture.

https://www.adl.org/resources/profile/p ... tant-bigot

DocBarrister :?
That's indeed a valid description of Buchanan.
Part of his appeal was that he dog whistled as a core part of his messaging.

We see it on here.
Yep. Buchanan was smeared by his bigoted, intolerant critics.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:31 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:15 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:37 pm :lol: ...Pat Buchanan & I were saying it before Putin came to power.
That explains a few things ….

In his role as a political commentator for the mainstream media, former Presidential candidate Pat Buchanan has increasingly advanced an anti-Semitic, racist, and anti-immigrant ideology. Many of the views he holds are identical to those of self-declared "white nationalists." Buchanan repeatedly demonizes Jews and minorities and openly affiliates with white supremacists. Among his frequent claims is that the sovereignty of the United States is being undermined by Israeli control and Mexican incursion, a belief which he disseminates on mainstream cable and network television and in his prolific writings. Buchanan has released a book nearly every two years, many of which take the view that non-white immigrants destroy Western culture.

https://www.adl.org/resources/profile/p ... tant-bigot

DocBarrister :?
That's indeed a valid description of Buchanan.
Part of his appeal was that he dog whistled as a core part of his messaging.

We see it on here.
Yep. Buchanan was smeared by his bigoted, intolerant critics.
Sometimes a spade is a spade

Return to “POLITICS”