THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 pm -love the epstein hit at the end, already been penalized once, then goes for a daily double, maryland should tape that photo to every barbell, door, laptop, playbook, in their facility to remind them how a freshman took their turtle hearts and ate them like magua in last of the mohicans. perfect. the size of the balls on that kid are like the upper quad and lower quad put together. 3+ more years.
let's try not to get carried away. he barely touched him.
and you've been on the hop coaches' bandwagon of course for a while, too, of course. so perspective. you seem so positive now that they're winning. great to see.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Of course, I’m not buying that Hopkins AQ probability of 54%, because that means, uh, Penn State 46%. Yeah, right.
Not sure what that is based upon. The game means much more to Hopkins as far as tournament hopes go, but still those probabilities seem a bit out there.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Folks are making a big deal out of first ever back-to-back wins over UMd.

Look, that’s an artifact of B1G scheduling, and how the teams were seeded in the tourney.

On the scale of woo-woos associated with these two wins, the B2B is an artifact and a little woo-woo. What’s more important are the two Ws over the Meatheads, whether they were B2B or not.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Coach Petro after the game:

https://youtu.be/YoUl_y17ajU
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:29 pm Jays have now won the last 3 meetings with the twerps.
Hint. Your .sig from the old LaxPower days seems missing.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

Great Back to Back wins and a great second half comeback tonight. The Hopkins Md game is always special and added to the emotion in playing this game. Keep focused and get every ground ball you can and give Penn State all they can handle. They can be beaten.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

rc13 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:34 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Of course, I’m not buying that Hopkins AQ probability of 54%, because that means, uh, Penn State 46%. Yeah, right.
Not sure what that is based upon. The game means much more to Hopkins as far as tournament hopes go, but still those probabilities seem a bit out there.
You ever met laf?

45103ECA-8D4C-4506-BBE9-175A54D11C71.jpeg
45103ECA-8D4C-4506-BBE9-175A54D11C71.jpeg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm Folks are making a big deal out of first ever back-to-back wins over UMd.

Look, that’s an artifact of B1G scheduling, and how the teams were seeded in the tourney.

On the scale of woo-woos associated with these two wins, the B2B is an artifact and a little woo-woo. What’s more important are the two Ws over the Meatheads, whether they were B2B or not.
It’s never been done. That counts for a lot. No one else will ever be the first to do it.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 pm -love the epstein hit at the end, already been penalized once, then goes for a daily double, maryland should tape that photo to every barbell, door, laptop, playbook, in their facility to remind them how a freshman took their turtle hearts and ate them like magua in last of the mohicans. perfect. the size of the balls on that kid are like the upper quad and lower quad put together. 3+ more years.
let's try not to get carried away. he barely touched him.
and you've been on the hop coaches' bandwagon of course for a while, too, of course. so perspective. you seem so positive now that they're winning. great to see.
this is true, I've had a pitchfork, like most of the first half I spent wondering what the press release monday would look like.

from @d1scourse on bracketology
"If there's a chance at a Hopkins miss, it includes some combination of a Loyola loss, a Towson loss and a Brown Ivy League title.
"Maryland missing the ncaa tournament is not an impossible scenario.An at-large field of 4 ACCs, Hop-PSU loser, Yale, Penn and Loyola would do the trick. Terps rooting for Yale, Penn, Loyola and Towson.
"Hopkins will be OK ahead of Denver. If Towson, Loyola and Penn/Yale account for AQs, can't see the Blue Jays getting left out."
@laxreference
"I've got them as a lock at this point. Even if chaos ensues, they would be in over Towson, MD, & Cornell."
so I guess we root for penn/yale/loyola tomorrow.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We're in. Only question now is if we host. With a win over PSU, yes. A loss, probably not, but not impossible. Could see them sending us to Penn or Loyola if not.

Jays won GBs 32-25 despite only winning 9 of 23 faceoffs.

Somehow Darby finished with 8 saves to put him over 50% on the day. Great second half. Shows mental toughness to throw away the first half and rebound.

Only 8 turnovers.

Held Fairman scoreless.

Held Wisnausaks to just 2 pts.

Cole Williams: 5 pts, 0 turnovers.

Zinn: 4 GBs

We've already covered Foley.

Still not a complete 60 minutes, but as complete a second half as you'll see. A reversal of the Syracuse, Virginia, Ohio State collapses. Jays learned from those games and got better. Playing well at the right time. Who knows.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 pm Could see them sending us to Penn or Loyola if not
I had the same two in mind. I can’t see Hopkins being sent to any higher than the 6 seed if they lose on Saturday. It will depend on how everyone else does.

I would personally rather play Penn than Loyola again.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

One downer tonight: Mt St Mary’s lost.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hate to throw a damper on the party but i don't think Petro rolls out the 66 car at the face-off unless Prouty and younger brother can't go. I hope they can go Saturday or 20-9 is going to look close.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Joey Epstein broke Terry Riordan’s freshman goal scoring record. Is Brian Piccola’s freshman points record next?!? :shock:

DocBarrister :o
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

8 CTs

32-25 win on gbs

Just 8 turnovers

Blue Jays won the possession battle, and thus the war.

DocBarrister :)

P.S. Cole Williams coming on strong, like Arya coming on to Gendry, with 3 goals and 2 assists. ;)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Sowell OUT at Navy.

For the Navy folks here, that screws up the trade.

Unless Cindy is still on the table.

Oh, speaking of wlax, the Lady Jays are at 10-7, didn’t qualify for the B1G tourney (which they are hosting, starting today), and are very doubtful to get an at large invite to the NC$$ (and they are hosting the wlax Final Four this year).
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 pm Ok, Petro can stay
Winning 2 games against an overrated UMd team doesn't change the calculus.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

steel_hop wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
That’s a great win. After 8 quarters of lacrosse, JHU looked like the better team. Not enough playmakers at UMd this year is my take.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
You can't fire the guy after throttling Maryland twice in a week. I doubt there's going to be as much of an appetite for it among the alums/admin now regardless. And after it looked like a near impossibility a few weeks ago, it doesn't look like we're going to miss the NCAA tournament. At this point I think you let him play out the final year of his contract and then see. Renewing it is another question entirely. My guess is they make a decision after 2020. But I disagree that these two games haven't changed the calculus, at least a little bit. Doing this to the Terps twice in a row to make the conference championship game should count for something in my book. Maybe I'll look back on this post as naive if we get demolished in the first round again but based solely on right now I don't see how you give him the axe after this turnaround. All that garbage about the team quitting and not wanting to play for this staff—that didn't age very well.

After his slow start to the season, Cole Williams is now on pace to tie his point total (49) from last year, if the team can get to at least 17 games played. Assuming we make the tournament, they're guaranteed of at least 16. He has at least 2 goals in 5 straight.

Concannon has scored in six straight and has blown by his point total from last year despite appearing in 2 fewer games so far.

Pat Foley is 5th all-time in caused turnovers despite missing a season. Wish we were getting him for one more. Still in disbelief about how good he was last night. That was a kid who just refused to lose.
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 am That’s a great win. After 8 quarters of lacrosse, JHU looked like the better team. Not enough playmakers at UMd this year is my take.
Bernhardt and Wisnauskas are both tremendous players but I'm not sure they can just take over a game when things aren't working like Rambo and Kelly sometimes would. I also think they are missing that alpha male defenseman they've typically had in years past. Epstein and Williams both won their matchups in each game and that was pretty much the difference.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Coach gets so little credit on this board--and elsewhere. Holding a team like UMd to 1 second half goal is impressive. Further. making turtle soup 2 games in a row is quite impressive. Let's knock off the lions this w/e! Go Hop!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”