Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by coda »

Hoponboard wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:05 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:54 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:34 pm Maybe 06 will shut up now? What do you all think? Unlikely, right?

Ierlan turns the goalie position from a question mark into a strength. The defense is going to be formidable.

I remember being disappointed when Chauvette chose Yale, so glad he changed his mind. If you haven't watched tape on him, you should. He really does have an incredible shooting stroke. Between him, Ayers, and Sorichetti, there are at least three likely future starters in this incoming freshman attack group.

The importance of the Lawrenceville pipeline cannot be overstated. They are the best high school program in the country and are positioned to stay that way for years to come. And no one is recruiting them better than our staff. Notre Dame has Chaminade...Hopkins now has Lawrenceville.

Well done to PM and co. for making these two moves. The Jays got better today.
Is chauvette better than degnon and is he the replacement there?
I watched many Lawrenceville games and Chauvette was a lefty sniper, similar to Wisnauskas. Rawson had many assists to him.

Degnon improved greatly over the course of his career.

Chauvette may be instant offense.

A fantastic addition.
I think Chauvette's greatest attribute is how fast and how little room he needs to get his shot off. He has those quick twitch wrists, if you know what I mean. Does not add much as a dodger or passer. Degnon is a better outside shooter.

Rawson is not great at any one thing, but he was great overall this year. He is a jack of all trades. Last year English was an elite initiator for Lawrenceville. That isnt Rawson. Just a smaller guy that is good at lacrosse, but doesnt really have an elite trait.
coda

Post by coda »

Hoponboard wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:05 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:54 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:34 pm Maybe 06 will shut up now? What do you all think? Unlikely, right?

Ierlan turns the goalie position from a question mark into a strength. The defense is going to be formidable.

I remember being disappointed when Chauvette chose Yale, so glad he changed his mind. If you haven't watched tape on him, you should. He really does have an incredible shooting stroke. Between him, Ayers, and Sorichetti, there are at least three likely future starters in this incoming freshman attack group.

The importance of the Lawrenceville pipeline cannot be overstated. They are the best high school program in the country and are positioned to stay that way for years to come. And no one is recruiting them better than our staff. Notre Dame has Chaminade...Hopkins now has Lawrenceville.

Well done to PM and co. for making these two moves. The Jays got better today.
Is chauvette better than degnon and is he the replacement there?
I watched many Lawrenceville games and Chauvette was a lefty sniper, similar to Wisnauskas. Rawson had many assists to him.

Degnon improved greatly over the course of his career.

Chauvette may be instant offense.

A fantastic addition.
I think Chauvette's greatest attribute is how fast and how little room he needs to get his shot off. He has those quick twitch wrists, if you know what I mean. Does not add much as a dodger or passer. LVille offense was designed to get the ball to him with his feet stationary. Degnon is a better outside shooter. Degnon can just blow it by almost anyone.

Rawson is not great at any one thing, but he was great overall this year. He is a jack of all trades. Last year English was an elite initiator for Lawrenceville. That isnt Rawson. Just a smaller guy that is good at lacrosse, but doesnt really have an elite trait.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

as many have noted - I am the biggest advocate for smaller rosters - particularly at Hopkins but this latest development does not concern me as much given 2 issues:
- rising junior class - tiny in number to begin with nominally - impact has been and might be negligible - need more from Callahan next year - Kaufman might be the star and Phillips has been the only offensive production - Todaro has been hurt. Therefore, the next two years could see a class particularly on the offensive end - produce almost nothing.. Whether you want PM to own this - or chalk it up to the natural order of things when Petro was dismissed there's a 1/4 hole in the roster that needs to be supplemented.
- While there were a couple rising seniors that did not play in '21 and therefore theoretically retain another year of eligibility - the depaartures at the end of '24 will be large in number. Could see 20ish go next year.

My concerns right now:
- Ierlan's last 4 games at Cornell
- For one year we are going to have many offensive players that might want time - 6 spots on the field and 1 ball - PM and Crawley will have a challenge keeping the chemistry solid and most happy
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:53 am
My concerns right now:
- Ierlan's last 4 games at Cornell
- For one year we are going to have many offensive players that might want time - 6 spots on the field and 1 ball - PM and Crawley will have a challenge keeping the chemistry solid and most happy
Could Ierlan have been playing through an injury those last four games?
Back in the day they would run three midfields routinely. Crawley has not been adverse to playing more middies. You could move Collison to attack and still have Peshko, Grimes, Bauer, English, McDermott, Evans on your first two lines with three freshmen plus Marquis and Cam Chauvette on a third midfield or pushing for time on the first two. Coaches love competition.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:52 am Nice tribute to narewski
https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/
Another easy guy to root for.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not worried about Ierlan's last few games. It's not a pattern with him. He was one of the best goalies in the country through the regular season and check out his playoff numbers from 2022 when Cornell went to the finals. 62%, 65%, 63%, 50%. He's 36-13 as a starter. Dude is a winner. Cornell's D really struggled down the stretch this year, can't put that all on him. With a good D in front of him, which we'll have, he's gonna give you solid performances more often than not. To single out his last few games feels like missing the forest for the trees in a big way.

Competition for the lefty attack should be fun. It will allow them to keep Collison and Grimes at midfield if that's what they want to do. Sorichetti and Chauvette are both lefties but have different skill sets — Sorichetti likes to hang out around GLE and inside and can finish everything in traffic...terrific hands and awareness. Chauvette is an elite wing shooter. Either way, both kids just know how to score goals. Will depend a bit on what PM/Crawley want to do and who meshes with Angelus and Melendez. The other could see time out of the box or on extra-man.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:38 am I'd like to see Hopkins get in on that Naples, FL thing - over 4000 people watched UVA Ohio State - alot warmer.
I was done there for the games. It was actually a double header - UM v. Marquette was the earlier game. It was also tied in with a youth lax tournament and a fun atmosphere. The night before the college games, the youth players were given the opportunity to meet with the players and coaches from all the teams. I have pictures of my son with Schellenberger, Dixon, Tiffany, etc.

I believe the guy running it was from Long Island and had a kid play for UM in the 2000s and moved down to Naples and started this. He gave a short speech to the various youth teams and said the goal was to have two double headers on Saturday and Sunday in 2024.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 am To single out his last few games feels like missing the forest for the trees in a big way.
look - not trying to be identified as anti Ierlan - nothing would make me happier lacrosse wisethan if he led the Jays to Memorial Day and was the MOP. To be fair however, the forest says he is a 52-53% career at Job #1. That's OK - not off the hook. In both 2022 and 2023 he had 7 games each season with Save % below 50%. I seem to recall some fair players for Cornells D as well. Just thinking the results might be more in line with what we have seen. If Marcille makes 1 more save a game he is above 52%.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:29 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 am To single out his last few games feels like missing the forest for the trees in a big way.
look - not trying to be identified as anti Ierlan - nothing would make me happier lacrosse wisethan if he led the Jays to Memorial Day and was the MOP. To be fair however, the forest says he is a 52-53% career at Job #1. That's OK - not off the hook. In both 2022 and 2023 he had 7 games each season with Save % below 50%. I seem to recall some fair players for Cornells D as well. Just thinking the results might be more in line with what we have seen. If Marcille makes 1 more save a game he is above 52%.
That's more than OK. 52-53% on a consistent basis is quite good for today's game, basically All-American caliber (Ierlan was HM this season). When you adjust for level of competition (i.e. Ierlan's 52% is more impressive than the Robert Morris goalie's 52%), then he's been, what, a top 5 goalie in the country over the last few years? Top 10 at worst? What more do you want? Unfortunately Entenmann wasn't in the portal.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:50 am
That's more than OK. 52-53% on a consistent basis is quite good for today's game, basically All-American caliber (Ierlan was HM this season). When you adjust for level of competition (i.e. Ierlan's 52% is more impressive than the Robert Morris goalie's 52%), then he's been, what, a top 5 goalie in the country over the last few years? Top 10 at worst? What more do you want? Unfortunately Entenmann wasn't in the portal.
He finished 20th in save percentage this year, which is solid. Not All-American caliber. Finished 3rd in the Ivy in Save Percentage just in front of Paquettte of Yale. I would put Paquette above him, because of how God awful the Yale defense was (51% behind that defense is excellent). He is solid goalie, who should give you consistent goalie play. That is good thing
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:42 pm
He finished 20th in save percentage this year, which is solid. Not All-American caliber. Finished 3rd in the Ivy in Save Percentage just in front of Paquettte of Yale. I would put Paquette above him, because of how God awful the Yale defense was (51% behind that defense is excellent). He is solid goalie, who should give you consistent goalie play. That is good thing
It literally was All-American caliber. He was an All-American.

Also, save percentage is meaningless if you don't take into account the level of competition. Same for faceoff percentage. So "20th in the country" doesn't mean very much without context.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 am Not worried about Ierlan's last few games. It's not a pattern with him. He was one of the best goalies in the country through the regular season and check out his playoff numbers from 2022 when Cornell went to the finals. 62%, 65%, 63%, 50%. He's 36-13 as a starter. Dude is a winner. Cornell's D really struggled down the stretch this year, can't put that all on him. With a good D in front of him, which we'll have, he's gonna give you solid performances more often than not. To single out his last few games feels like missing the forest for the trees in a big way.

Competition for the lefty attack should be fun. It will allow them to keep Collison and Grimes at midfield if that's what they want to do. Sorichetti and Chauvette are both lefties but have different skill sets — Sorichetti likes to hang out around GLE and inside and can finish everything in traffic...terrific hands and awareness. Chauvette is an elite wing shooter. Either way, both kids just know how to score goals. Will depend a bit on what PM/Crawley want to do and who meshes with Angelus and Melendez. The other could see time out of the box or on extra-man.
They were awful at finishing inside last year. They took Peshko's spot inside on manup and gave it to Marquis who didn't do anything. Whether Sorichetti gets the degnon role or not, that inside man up role would be good for him if you're right.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:23 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 am Not worried about Ierlan's last few games. It's not a pattern with him. He was one of the best goalies in the country through the regular season and check out his playoff numbers from 2022 when Cornell went to the finals. 62%, 65%, 63%, 50%. He's 36-13 as a starter. Dude is a winner. Cornell's D really struggled down the stretch this year, can't put that all on him. With a good D in front of him, which we'll have, he's gonna give you solid performances more often than not. To single out his last few games feels like missing the forest for the trees in a big way.

They were awful at finishing inside last year. They took Peshko's spot inside on manup and gave it to Marquis who didn't do anything. Whether Sorichetti gets the degnon role or not, that inside man up role would be good for him if you're right.
if peshko had been on manup all year prior to the very late change, he had scored 1 goal on it all year. sounds like it was a decent idea to shake things up.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:53 pm

Also, save percentage is meaningless if you don't take into account the level of competition. Same for faceoff percentage. So "20th in the country" doesn't mean very much without context.
I certainly factored that into the equation, when comparing Ivy goalies. I am sure you going to say he is definitely better than Helm and his .505 save percentage, despite reasonably close save % and Helm playing far better competition. That said the level of your defense in comparison to the offenses you face, is far more important than the overall level of competition. It does mean something when you have one of the better defenses in your league and a top 20 defense overall (#14 on Massey).

The All-American Goalies were:
1st team: G-Liam Entenmann, Notre Dame
2nd Team: G-Jack Fracyon, Penn State
3rd Team: G-Will Mark, Syracuse
Honorable Mention: G-Mike Gianforcaro, Princeton, G-Matt Knote, UMass, G-Knox Dent, Army

that is IL. I would not take him over any of those guys. Someone may, but people are entitled to their wrong opinions.
Last edited by coda on Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

coda wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:15 pm
I certainly factored that into the equation, when comparing Ivy goalies. I am sure you going to say he is definitely better than Helm and his .505 save percentage, despite reasonably close save % and Helm playing far better competition. That said the level of your defense in comparison to the offenses you face, is far more important than the overall level of competition. It does mean something when you have one of the better defenses in your league and a top 20 defense overall (#14 on Massey).

Honorable Mention: G-Mike Gianforcaro, Princeton, G-Matt Knote, UMass, G-Knox Dent, Army
Didn't he take Cornell to the Finals in 2022 and held UMD to 9 goals even though they were averaging like 18?
I think he only let one team, Rutgers, hit double digits in the playoffs last year.
If you're looking for someone to lead your team to the Final Four, this is probably the guy. It seems that other top teams wanted him to.
coda

Post by coda »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:25 pm

Didn't he take Cornell to the Finals in 2022 and held UMD to 9 goals even though they were averaging like 18?
I think he only let one team, Rutgers, hit double digits in the playoffs last year.
If you're looking for someone to lead your team to the Final Four, this is probably the guy. It seems that other top teams wanted him to.
He faced 18 shots that day. I would say that is more of a testament to the defense overall, than Goalie play. I will agree the 2022 tournament was the best 4 game stretch of his career.

He also got lit up liek a Christmas tree in the IVy Championship and was 42% vs Michigan. So we can all pick a game or 2 that would bolster any argument.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:32 pm

He faced 18 shots that day. I would say that is more of a testament to the defense overall, than Goalie play

He also got lit up liek a Christmas tree in the IVy Championship and was 42% vs Michigan. So we can all pick a game or 2 that would bolster any argument.
Who in the portal is better than Ierlan,
who in the portal has as much tournament experience,

that’s really the point,
there is nobody else.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:53 pm

that is IL. I would not take him over any of those guys. Someone may, but people are entitled to their wrong opinions.
Ierlan was a USILA AA.

You're putting a lot of emphasis on 2023. That's fine. Let's see if Dent and Gianforcaro can keep it up. They've put one year on tape. Both also play behind good defenses against lesser schedules.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:36 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:32 pm

He faced 18 shots that day. I would say that is more of a testament to the defense overall, than Goalie play

Who in the portal is better than Ierlan,

that’s really the point,
there is nobody else.
No it wasnt. I said it was a good pick-up and he will provide solid goalie play for Hopkins. My argument was with someone calling him a top 5 goalie.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:40 pm No it wasnt. I said it was a good pick-up and he will provide solid goalie play for Hopkins. My argument was with someone calling him a top 5 goalie.
Got it, so you're a pedant. We definitely need more of those around here.

I said he was maybe top 5 over the last few years (which takes into account more data than just the 2023 season), and top 10 at worst. I did not definitively declare him a top 5 goalie. But it's more fun to pretend that I did and argue against that, I guess.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”