Way Too Early Top 5

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Bigdawg69

Way Too Early Top 5

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Looking ahead to next year based on what we know now:

1. Salisbury - pretty self explanatory. Defending champs. Jim berkman. Always reload. Yes they lose cross, but hearing Jude brown will be back as well as Dowd, Bromwell, and a few other key pieces.

2. Tufts - pretty similar. Always reload. Are they losing the whole attack line? I believe boyden bruun and swank have another year. Anyone know if they plan on using?

3. CNU - should be pretty stacked next year. Am hearing cook, brendes, Miller, and auslander all returning. That’s 4 players who had 80+ points this year. Offense will be elite. Ryan young their first team AA pole has two years of eligibility left. Anyone know if he’s planning on using it?

4. RIT - until another challenger up north comes along I gotta go with RIT here. Just like above they seem to always reload. Will return. Liberty league POY Luke pilcher will be back after a 95 point season. And appears 5/6 leading scorers have another year if they choose to use

5. Middlebury - 5 of the top 6 scorers return. Freshman goalie this yr who should make a jump with a yr of experience under his belt. Coming off an 18-3 season with only losses coming from tufts and RIT. Struggled on face offs but have top guy coming back. Top 4 poles back. Should be a great squad next year

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Obviously very early and nobody knows 100% who’s coming back
DeepPocket

Re: Way Too Early Top 5

Post by DeepPocket »

1-4 is a gimme. I struggle with Middlebury at 5. The way in which they lost to RIT to end the season doesn’t put them one spot back from RIT (imo).

However, of the probably 4 or 5 quality teams people will likely make a case for in that 5 slot, all will have a reason to not be there, so in this way early case, Middlebury is as good as any. Good work.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Tufts wont win as long as they have less-athletic and undersized D-mids and defenders.
That offense was fun to watch for much of the season, but they simply got overpowered in the championship.
Salisbury just willed themselves to the topside on offense.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I think the top 4 are pretty easy and it’d be hard to say any teams should start above your top 4.

I think the next tier of teams in no order is probably Dickinson, Middlebury, Lynchburg, W&L, and Amherst. They all return a strong core of key players, have good coaching, and play great schedules. Hearing W&L will be at the Mustang Classic instead of Bates this year and will play RIT, I don’t know if those teams have ever played before.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:46 pm Tufts wont win as long as they have less-athletic and undersized D-mids and defenders.
That offense was fun to watch for much of the season, but they simply got overpowered in the championship.
Sure did not work for them this year but they did beat Salisbury by 7 last year, don't think its any sort of player profile problem rather than temp. Salisbury forced them to their pace, as they have done in tournaments past. Tufts gets into bad habits tossing the ball away during the season because they have so many possessions who cares about turnovers. Once the number of chances goes down, the grip on the stick tightens and they weren't able to value the ball enough. I think the difference was Berkman, not the bulk of d-middies.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:41 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:46 pm Tufts wont win as long as they have less-athletic and undersized D-mids and defenders.
Sure did not work for them this year but they did beat Salisbury by 7 last year, don't think its any sort of player profile problem rather than temp. Salisbury forced them to their pace, as they have done in tournaments past. Tufts gets into bad habits tossing the ball away during the season because they have so many possessions who cares about turnovers. Once the number of chances goes down, the grip on the stick tightens and they weren't able to value the ball enough. I think the difference was Berkman, not the bulk of d-middies.
100% agree. It was coaching, prep and comfort (many of Salisbury player in this game 2 years ago) not size and talent. Talent wouldn’t explain the various scores vs comparable teams.

Salisbury 1 goal win vs Lynchburg
Tufts 15 and 8 goals wins

Salisbury 4 goal win vs York
Tufts 15 goal win

Salisbury 7 goal win vs Cabrini
Tufts 17 goal win

Salisbury 4 goal win vs Amhearst
Tufts 2 goal win and 7 goal win
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:20 pm I think the top 4 are pretty easy and it’d be hard to say any teams should start above your top 4.

I think the next tier of teams in no order is probably Dickinson, Middlebury, Lynchburg, W&L, and Amherst. They all return a strong core of key players, have good coaching, and play great schedules. Hearing W&L will be at the Mustang Classic instead of Bates this year and will play RIT, I don’t know if those teams have ever played before.
This was pretty much my debate for 5. Top 4 are too obvious. Worried about how much Amherst is losing with brock and tanyr both moving to d1. Bob gross was nescac roy however so still talent there. Love Pokorny at w&l excited to see another year from him. And Lynchburg had a ton of freshman in that top 6 offensively. Watch out for swarthmore as well I’ll throw out an early hot take and say they win the centennial next year behind a mega season from von mabbs
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

1-Salisbury
2-Tufts
3-R.I.T.
4-CNU
5-Dickinson
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:41 pm
I really thought Tufts got abused my the Salsibury middies topside. And it looked like an athleticism issue.

But I do agree Donofrio got outcoached-

Tufts came into the game with their recipe for success they had all year. But when they didn't win the possession battle, and Salisbury jumped out to an early lead, you saw a huge "oh sh1t" look on the players faces. And instead of changing anything, Tufts just stuck to their usual game plan and it simply wasn't enough. There just weren't enough minutes in the game to mount a real comeback.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I think Tufts/Donofrio's hubris was the problem. But that humbling experience might be what he needs to influence self reflection and change. Matching wits and strategies with Berkman, given his consistency of player development, internal competition, communication skills, and willingness to adjust will do that. Pieces were there to make that a competitive pick em contest. I just don't think they had to really do much other than roll the ball out most of the year. So your point related to the "oh crap" moment is well taken!
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:13 am 1-Salisbury
2-Tufts
3-R.I.T.
4-CNU
5-Dickinson
No real arguments with those, but expect huge years from St. Lawrence, Bowdoin, and Denison. All top 10 teams next year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Who will take the biggest fall?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:56 am I think Tufts/Donofrio's hubris was the problem. But that humbling experience might be what he needs to influence self reflection and change. Matching wits and strategies with Berkman, given his consistency of player development, internal competition, communication skills, and willingness to adjust will do that. Pieces were there to make that a competitive pick em contest. I just don't think they had to really do much other than roll the ball out most of the year. So your point related to the "oh crap" moment is well taken!
And I gotta say, I really thought Tufts was gonna have a much easier time with the Gulls.
I truly didn't envision the Gulls taking such a commanding lead and controlling tempo like that. Especially given their mediocre faceoffs all year and desire to play fast and push in transition. But they were incredibly patient and more importantly, efficient on offense in that first half, and really the whole game.
I understand the idea of "sticking to what we do best." ESPECIALLY in a big game. But its good to have a couple plans in case you need to change up tempo and get your feet under you. Donofrio is a great coach. I'm sure he will learn from this and have (or more likely, trust) a Plan B in the future.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:27 pm Who will take the biggest fall?
Can’t really say tufts because they reload, but if they lose that whole attack line of boyden swank and bruun then watch out for Middlebury amherst or Bowdoin to give a run at NESCAC title next yr
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jumpman23 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:21 pm
Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:13 am 1-Salisbury
2-Tufts
3-R.I.T.
4-CNU
5-Dickinson
No real arguments with those, but expect huge years from St. Lawrence, Bowdoin, and Denison. All top 10 teams next year.
Denison seems to be trending downwards. But we’ll see.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”