The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

Post by kramerica.inc »

“All of them,” yet still no specifics.

Tough to teach a history that isn’t there.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:33 pm It was a simple question.

What major players/actions/events in LGBTQ history and discrimination are being ignored in the classrooms?
Asked and answered several times now.

FLA keeps ANY mention of sexuality off the books in a poorly worded law that makes very little sense.

And as we keep telling you. more schools are moving to keep any mention of anything LGBTQ out of the classroom. So that means I can mention black history all day long...but can't mention the Stonewall riots. My previous mention of Anita Bryant nutjob crusade in Florida, and the pushback against her by regular ol' Floridians in the 70's ...... is now, ironically, illegal to teach in Florida schools.
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:33 pm Or should we start mentioning the orientation of famous figures in history?
We already do, which is why the FL laws and the laughable denial right wing Americans have when it comes to teaching sexuality in Americans schools.

How did I leave High School knowing that JFK was straight, and had a wife? How did I leave K-12 knowing who Eleanor Roosevelt was, and that she was straight with six kids? Did I walk away damaged because I learned that Eleanor was straight, and had kids? Or was it not that big of a deal, and part of life?

Question for you: would you be ok if we banned any discussion of black history or black discrimination in schools?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’m fine with the schools keeping out of anything to do with sexuality. Including all the things you mentioned you learned.

But that knowledge was likely learned from a friend, in the schoolyard, teacher aside, or the tonight show.

As for your question- why would black history be removed?

It’s a real, important, and relevant part of history.

There are a lot of things that have happened in history. It doesn’t mean public schools need to spend valuable
class time teaching it. It’s why they taught us Gettysburg but not Chickamauga.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:41 am I’m fine with the schools keeping out of anything to do with sexuality. Including all the things you mentioned you learned.

But that knowledge was likely learned from a friend, in the schoolyard, teacher aside, or the tonight show.

As for your question- why would black history be removed?

It’s a real, important, and relevant part of history.

There are a lot of things that have happened in history. It doesn’t mean public schools need to spend valuable
class time teaching it. It’s why they taught us Gettysburg but not Chickamauga.
My AP American History class in high school taught Chickamauga as well as Gettysburg. Chancellorsville, too! :oops:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:33 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:18 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:21 am
a fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:18 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 am May I ask- what is the "Trans Movement?"
What is this demographic looking for and wanting? What rights are being disallowed?
I'm not following this as a marriage or voting rights movement. What is it all about?
Here's a conversation I just had with Ohmilax. This is the State of Florida's discriminatory laws surrounding education and LGBTQ....

States are actively REMOVING their rights, Kram. That's why you're hearing the noise from the left. States all over the country are moving to basically make it so that K-12 pretends like there's no such thing as Gay, let alone Trans, and attempting to punish teachers who dare to mention it. They're not doing a very good job at it, as the wording of the laws are a complete mess....which is increasing teacher vacancies in places like Florida at light speed because they don't really know what they can or can't do without breaking the law.

It's a mess.
a fan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:36 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:16 pm
Understood. What rights are we talking about here? My post right before this one asks the same question.

Muslim parents don't want their kids exposed/indoctrinated (use your preferred term) and lgbtq counter protest because the right they're fighting for is___________. I need help with this.
No problem! I think a lot of the concerns are coming from folks who don't have kids, and so they don't have the slightest idea what's mandated instruction in schools in 2023. I have an eight year old, fwiw.

The Mandated Curriculum we discussed before was Florida's.....

Here's part (part...they have more sections that are far more detailed) of the 2022 Mandatory teachings for FLA public schools. Take a look around. You'll find they MANDATE teachings on anti-semitism, racism, sexism, discrimination of all kinds, the power of meritocracy. There's a week for the Holocaust. Big section on African American experience. Section on women's experience. Section on Hispanic experience.

Andd sex ed, community studies...including mandatory discussions on the family unit. Mandatory instruction on the evils of discrimination. And on and on.

....so looking at all this, and all the things that every Florida school MUST teach, do you think it's reasonable to completely exclude any and all mention whatsoever of LGBTQ? Because that's what's being attempted in many, many States.

They're literally saying: not only do we not acknowledge your existence, we're going to complete ignore, and not discuss discrimination of LGBTQ, while we MANDATE discussions of literally every other form of discrimination in America, and every other form of the American family. How do you discuss family without discussing sexuality? Impossible. You can't....but they're trying.

Does this help?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 03.42.html
Does Ohmilax or anyone else have a comment here? It's clear as day that LGBTQ folks don't have the same rights given to Hispanics, Black Americans, Women, etc. in Florida schools, where DeSantis and Co. are singling them out, and teaching children about discrimination of everyone EXCEPT LGBTQ.

They don't have the same rights. Full stop. You can teach about this history of discrimination of women or black Americans....but you are FORBIDDEN from teaching about LGBTQ discrimination? Not only is that absurd, it's incredibly ironic.
I don't understand what you're missing, Kram. Did you not read the above FLA Statutes? They're fighting to make it so that teachers can't mention LGBTQ at all. So "what history" is being ignored? All of it. 100%.

Libraries around the country are working to strip all books that so much as mention anything LGBTQ
It was a simple question.

What major players/actions/events in LGBTQ history and discrimination are being ignored in the classrooms?

Or should we start mentioning the orientation of famous figures in history?

Curious what you think about this.
How about the equivalent of the Emmett Tills because if we go through history there’s probably a lot of gross injustices and that will educate the future on how not to act or behave in society in a manner that will improve all of us.

Education can be about what not to do. Of the ones that’s et precedent for their equal and fair existence in society. Best I could come up With is Rupaul which is probably more telling about the lack of awareness generated via education.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:15 am “All of them,” yet still no specifics.

If it isn’t taught how do you know it doesn’t exist? History written by the “winners” or whatever that axiom is, right? Education, however is about exploration, learning and understanding.

Every scientific discovery couldn’t be taught before because it didn’t exist.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Pretty sure Reagan's indifferent response to the AIDS crisis of the Eighties was removed from the AP US History Curriculum as a result of Right Wing pressure.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:15 am “All of them,” yet still no specifics.

I googled: "major gay figures in american history"

Try it.

Also found quite a lot in world history...

Pretty sure none of that was included in any of my history courses in the '70's.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Why does it need to be more complicated than this?

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:38 am Why does it need to be more complicated than this?

... you mean stop educating kids at the end of kindergarten.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:01 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:38 am Why does it need to be more complicated than this?

:lol: It appears many need the refresher, each year, until it sinks in. Otherwise, the teachers may have to walk around with their tiddies and azzez out for them to get the point.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:11 am

:lol: It appears many need the refresher, each year, until it sinks in. Otherwise, the teachers may have to walk around with their tiddies and azzez out for them to get the point.
... that was pretty much my thought as well. Read the book to the entire school during morning announcements, once every week. K-12.
DMac

Post by DMac »

She forgot the part about some fish end up in Japanese restaurants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZzWTWorUQ
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:19 am

... that was pretty much my thought as well. Read the book to the entire school during morning announcements, once every week. K-12.
How long before the book would get banned in Florida...?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:58 am

You have a lot of hate in your heart. ;)
~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:00 pm

... no, it is reality. We are talking Florida and the ability for just one individual to object to a book for it to be banned.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

How many of us were taught about Bayard Rustin's important role in the Modern Civil Rights Movement?

(Just adding examples as I think of them).
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Andersen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:57 pm How many of us were taught about Bayard Rustin's important role in the Modern Civil Rights Movement?

(Just adding examples as I think of them).
... didn't learn about him in school. Learned about him during the civil rights movement in the late 60s.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:00 pm

👍😊 well, I’d call it more disgust at those who would ban books than “hate” but it is certainly a strong emotion.

DeSantis concerns me. A lot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m about to go back to school
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”