NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: NESCAC

Post by InsiderRoll »

georgeoar394 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:01 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:45 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:59 pm Anyone know where the tufts 2015 documentary about their title over Lynchburg can be found? Was a great YouTube video idk where it went
Unfortunately that will be challenging to find out in the public. Tufts faced several lawsuits for copyright violations over their YouTube content particularly their documentaries and was forced to take everything down. They have since relaunched without use of copyrighted content, I don’t know if it went much past that but I believe it scared the administration to a degree.
They must of had monetization on or something...you don't get copyright strikes unless you're making money off of it. I had the 2015/2014 downloaded and then had my hard drive wiped, rip. I know for a fact someone has the 2015 downloaded somewhere
I think the law gets a little complicated when you’ve essentially paid a full production company to produce a documentary and then they did not pay for copyrights. So perhaps it was the company that producing content for them that was at fault. But I know it had something to do with that.

A production company should have known better than to have used copyrighted music without permission.
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

I could be mistaken but I believe that 15 documentary was sort of a student run project. The main person involved then formed a larger production company. So at that time it wasn't some well put together production company
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

SneaksBeac wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:14 pm I could be mistaken but I believe that 15 documentary was sort of a student run project. The main person involved then formed a larger production company. So at that time it wasn't some well put together production company
Drew Innis was the main contributor, *2010 was probably a bit more loose in terms of a contract if anything. They rebranded after to JMBLXTV. "2014 Tufts Lacrosse: Full Circle" and "2015 Back to Back", "The Season in 2019" and all of there game day edits from 2015-2020 def had a substantial operating budget (30k was mentioned earlier). They were at the time running 3-4 shooters and using high end video cameras and 100K cinema lenses on the bodies.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Tough oversight not knowing you have to pay for music. That's why creatives need producers.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I’m sure they had very good production, but…there is zero chance they used anything that got remotely close to $100k in total, let alone for one lens. Not even sure that exists :D. That sounds like a fish story that is several generations old.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

ah23 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:22 pm I’m sure they had very good production, but…there is zero chance they used anything that got remotely close to $100k in total, let alone for one lens. Not even sure that exists :D. That sounds like a fish story that is several generations old.
It absolutely exists. And no they outsourced to a production company who either owns or rents their equipment using a service like “Lense Pro to Go”. Many production level cameras that can shoot 8k or better at 240fps (minimum for seamless slow motion) start in 10k range just for the brain. Lenses for cameras of that quality typically start in 25k range.

Then you have what Tufts does and shoots with cinema quality RED cameras. Here’s an example of what just the brain costs before you get lenses, screens, gimbals, etc. - it doesn’t take much to get yourself on a 150k rig. This is the type of camera they shot their championship documentaries on.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product ... =ba_f1_lar

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product ... =ba_f2_lar
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

And people really wonder why nobody likes Tufts?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:33 am
It should be pointed out. Tufts does not own this equipment. They outsource it to an outside company. Those companies often do not even own all of that equipment, there are high end rental services that rent to commercial production companies. Even studios that own some of this high end equipment realize they can mitigate some of their costs by leasing and renting out some of it while not in use.

For something like their championship game documentary they probably are getting invoiced for 4 shooters, 2 high end RED Cameras, 2 top end mirror less cameras, shooters likely use some extra cameras with different lense lengths for huddles, locker room and ”B-Roll”. While the others shoot wide frame slow motion. You’d have to imagine that a production company probably owns most of the more common stuff. Maybe 1 high end Camera.

So let’s say they rent a high end camera for $4000 for 1 day, that seems about in line looking at Lense Pro to Go. Which was in their documentary end credits. Pay for 4 shooters, fees, + editing.

That would probably cost somewhere between $10-12k for their National Championship production. Now Drew Innes who owns the company may do it for cost or even donate it. I don’t know the details. But I can tell you even the most well funded programs in D1 do not have $10k sitting around for 1 game.

They probably only use 2 shooters in season and certainly lower the camera quality.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:56 pm
SneaksBeac wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:14 pm I could be mistaken but I believe that 15 documentary was sort of a student run project. The main person involved then formed a larger production company. So at that time it wasn't some well put together production company
Drew Innis was the main contributor, *2010 was probably a bit more loose in terms of a contract if anything. They rebranded after to JMBLXTV. "2014 Tufts Lacrosse: Full Circle" and "2015 Back to Back", "The Season in 2019" and all of there game day edits from 2015-2020 def had a substantial operating budget (30k was mentioned earlier). They were at the time running 3-4 shooters and using high end video cameras and 100K cinema lenses on the bodies.
Does Drew allow anyone to purchase these documentaries? I would absolutely pay 10 bucks to be able to get a digital copy. Seems insane that it’s completely scrubbed from internet. Someone out there has to have downloaded this video from its YouTube days. I do remember when Covid started their social media channels basically disappeared but wasn’t sure what happened. Makes sense they got hit with copyrights
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:00 pm
georgeoar394 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:56 pm
Does Drew allow anyone to purchase these documentaries? I would absolutely pay 10 bucks to be able to get a digital copy. Seems insane that it’s completely scrubbed from internet. Someone out there has to have downloaded this video from its YouTube days. I do remember when Covid started their social media channels basically disappeared but wasn’t sure what happened. Makes sense they got hit with copyrights

Probably not cause that would defeat the whole purpose of removing the vids. I've reached out to someone I know who was an intern shooting for them in 2019-2020 and he said that he can't even get his hands on a copy..
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:44 am
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:33 am
It should be pointed out. Tufts does not own this equipment. They outsource it to an outside company. Those companies often do not even own all of that equipment, there are high end rental services that rent to commercial production companies. Even studios that own some of this high end equipment realize they can mitigate some of their costs by leasing and renting out some of it while not in use.

For something like their championship game documentary they probably are getting invoiced for 4 shooters, 2 high end RED Cameras, 2 top end mirror less cameras, shooters likely use some extra cameras with different lense lengths for huddles, locker room and ”B-Roll”. While the others shoot wide frame slow motion. You’d have to imagine that a production company probably owns most of the more common stuff. Maybe 1 high end Camera.

So let’s say they rent a high end camera for $4000 for 1 day, that seems about in line looking at Lense Pro to Go. Which was in their documentary end credits. Pay for 4 shooters, fees, + editing.

That would probably cost somewhere between $10-12k for their National Championship production. Now Drew Innes who owns the company may do it for cost or even donate it. I don’t know the details. But I can tell you even the most well funded programs in D1 do not have $10k sitting around for 1 game.

They probably only use 2 shooters in season and certainly lower the camera quality.
Nah he definitely did it for cost. The production value on those videos were something similar to Last Chance U. Luke Boelitz and Arlin Ladue were also founders and big names not sure if they also owned part of JMBLXTV. They were advertising for video interns in 2019-2020 too. You also have to think about the travel costs to haul around all the gear, hotels, story boarding, figuring out camera angles. A lot more goes into it then just showing up and shooting the game/pregame. LSG (Luke) shoots their vids now, he uses an fx3/a7sIII, 70-200mm f2.8 etc. Quality has def gone down hill less story telling and more loud obnoxious tracks
ah23

Post by ah23 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:48 pm It absolutely exists. And no they outsourced to a production company who either owns or rents their equipment using a service like “Lense Pro to Go”. Many production level cameras that can shoot 8k or better at 240fps (minimum for seamless slow motion) start in 10k range just for the brain. Lenses for cameras of that quality typically start in 25k range.

Then you have what Tufts does and shoots with cinema quality RED cameras. Here’s an example of what just the brain costs before you get lenses, screens, gimbals, etc. - it doesn’t take much to get yourself on a 150k rig. This is the type of camera they shot their championship documentaries on.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product ... =ba_f1_lar

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product ... =ba_f2_lar
FWIW I meant at the consumer level - this is not my space but I tried to do some searching before I posted. The rental piece makes sense though, that's really interesting. Didn't realize that renting super high-end equipment was (vaguely) accessible for filmmakers at that level.
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:44 am That would probably cost somewhere between $10-12k for their National Championship production. Now Drew Innes who owns the company may do it for cost or even donate it. I don’t know the details. But I can tell you even the most well funded programs in D1 do not have $10k sitting around for 1 game.
Honestly that doesn't strike me as that crazy - it wasn't just some high school kids making a movie. They're both professionals who seemingly have done pretty well.

Also...plenty of programs would have the ability to pull that. Not even solely the very top ones. Just takes interested alumni/athletic department/both.
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:33 am And people really wonder why nobody likes Tufts?
Not sure "I hate when people make good content and help raise D-III lacrosse's profile" is a very good reason. More high-quality lacrosse content = good. Harvard athletics commissioned the same guys to do a short film about the lacrosse program in 2012.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Jon Thompson from associate head coach @ Air Force to assistant coach @ North Carolina.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:53 pm Jon Thompson from associate head coach @ Air Force to assistant coach @ North Carolina.
If there is any justice in this world, JT will land a primo DI HC position (Brown?) in the next 5 years.
laxer69

Post by laxer69 »

2024 Nescac season ranking? What teams graduate a lot of talent?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

smoova wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:00 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:53 pm Jon Thompson from associate head coach @ Air Force to assistant coach @ North Carolina.
If there is any justice in this world, JT will land a primo DI HC position (Brown?) in the next 5 years.
Clearly you didn't hear him on Jamie Munro's podcast right before his exit from Amherst....With that being said...God does love balance and he does deserve another shot
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

NNELax wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:59 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:00 pm
Clearly you didn't hear him on Jamie Munro's podcast right before his exit from Amherst....With that being said...God does love balance and he does deserve another shot
I listened to the podcast, but don’t understand the point you are trying to make.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I just find it ironic how he bloviates about team culture/team building and gets excused for exactly the lack of that...Ego is the enemy
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

NNELax wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:47 am I just find it ironic how he bloviates about team culture/team building and gets excused for exactly the lack of that...Ego is the enemy
I would tread lightly around his departure unless you've interacted and know him personally. Amherst is an extremely liberal area and his firing was definitely impacted by that. The hiring of Devoe I would say was ironic if anything. It's a shame the student newspaper published something without the details coming out through actual press.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Ty Xanders with a jab at the “upper crust” sounding player names of the NESCAC, and D’Annolfo kicks it down the line to W&L.

https://twitter.com/coachdannolfo/statu ... 26788?s=46
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”