Program Changes

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Program Changes

Post by youthathletics »

SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm I would add Richie Meade to that list. But I would also suggest Athens takes the reigns. Furman should be much better by now.

I believe Wellner loves Navy, everything about the USNA structure, the quality of young men that he works with, etc.
What are the chances Navy is looking for a new leader? And would Wellner be in the mix?
No doubt. If the opportunity presents itself, he could fill that role.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:06 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:36 pm Why are Hopkins assistants never on these lists?
Dwan isn't the head coach type. I'd heard that Benson was offered the UMBC job when that was open after Zim left, but turned it down. His name pops up now and again. His offenses, while generally good, have probably been a little too inconsistent to warrant status as a top-tier assistant.
Can’t understand that decision by Benson if true. That’s a respected lacrosse program at a solid university. Basically sending the message that he doesn’t want to be a head coach. If he doesn’t want to be a head coach, that is fine. If he does, hard to explain.

Coach Dwan had a tough time managing Hopkins when Petro was out for four games a few years back. Doubt he will ever be seriously considered for a major head coaching job. Has never been clear to me that’s a job he wants.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm I would add Richie Meade to that list. But I would also suggest Athens takes the reigns. Furman should be much better by now.

I believe Wellner loves Navy, everything about the USNA structure, the quality of young men that he works with, etc.
What are the chances Navy is looking for a new leader? And would Wellner be in the mix?
Perhaps it could be a similar change that towson went through between Coach seaman and the hiring of Coach Nads to replace him. Stayed in house. Just a change in voices and delivery and tweaks to what had existed before. Seems like it’s worked pretty darn well.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Being a HC takes a number of skills that you don't need as an AC. X's and O's are, arguably, the easiest part. A number of outstanding AC's simply don't have the tool box to run a D1 program. The ability to connect with players is a required trait for either role....the HC has to be able to make the required adjustments to also related to parents, administration, alum and the community.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

Couldnt agree more, hence my question on some of these guys if they are ready. I have heard, seen a number of the guys I listed. MOST are ready. They carry themselves and represent their universities well!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Regarding Van Arsdale who I have seen mentioned in here: I think he might be at the age where he is past wanting to take over his own program. I could be wrong but I feel like he had the resume when he was at UVA to go out on his own and chose not to and probably wouldn't now. That said programs could do a lot worse than hiring him.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

BigI, absolutely. Very good points!
Same could probably be said for Byrne and Metzbower. I am a new school guy. Lets get some new blood in the system and see where it goes. This game is bound to grow, the time is now for some of the longer tenured but young(ish) in age Assistants. Give em the reins and see where they go!
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

jerzyjoe81 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Perhaps it could be a similar change that towson went through between Coach seaman and the hiring of Coach Nads to replace him. Stayed in house. Just a change in voices and delivery and tweaks to what had existed before. Seems like it’s worked pretty darn well.
Perhaps. IMHO, that would be a positive change for the Navy MLax program in general, and the Mids in particular, after the past eight seasons sans sustainable success @ 54-56/.490, with W seasons @ 3 of 8/.375 and PLT Championships @ 0 of 8/.000, with a PLT games W-L @ 0-5/.000, including the last three seasons @ 21-20/.512, with W seasons @ 1 of 3/.333 and PLT Championships @ 0 for 3/.000, with PLT games W-L @ 0-2/.000.

During the Coach Sowell era, there have been unfortunate departures of outstanding assistant coaches, all of whom greatly valued and appreciated their close association with the Mids of Navy MLax, starting with...

*Asst. Coach Anthony Gilardi departing Navy and taking the O reigns at Towson for Coach Nadalen soon after Coach Sowell's arrival at Navy in 2011.

*Asst. Coach, and former Navy team captain, JL Reppert, departing Navy and taking over the O reigns at Maryland for Coach Tillman starting in the fall of 2014.

*Asst. Coach Mike Phipps departing Navy and taking over the O reigns at Georgetown for Coach Warne starting in the fall of 2017.

*And last, but not least, former Navy Gk AA Mickey Jarboe, departing a volunteer coaching slot at Navy he loved and had tremendous success with in developing Navy's Gk ranks from 2012-2015.

...so, if "past is prologue", and the historical record book dots and staff turnover dots are connected / considered, it's not unreasonable to expect the possible departures in the weeks / months ahead of Assoc. Head Coach Wellner for a well deserved HC opportunity elsewhere, and Asst. Coach Rob Camposa and Volunteer Coach Spencer Parks, as well, for other possible career opportunities. So we'll see.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

Laxy would Navy ever give out a Coach in waiting? Ie. Ivan Jasper with football? Could it have done that with a Reppert and Phipps? Or even Jarboe?
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

jerzyjoe81 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 am Laxy would Navy ever give out a Coach in waiting? Ie. Ivan Jasper with football? Could it have done that with a Reppert and Phipps? Or even Jarboe?
Interesting question, jerzyjoe81. Could be a possibility. Other forum contributors that may be closer to and more experienced with the NAAA in general (i.e., youthathletics; old salt; Tecumseh; WOMBAT, to name a few) are probably better equipped to advise you on the likelihood of that possibility vis-à-vis MLax vs. FB. What I do know for sure is that each of those assistant coach departures were a blow to the MLax Mids, especially the O unit. Former Navy O assistants Reppert and Phipps in particular have gone on to develop and deliver impressive O results for Maryland and G'town in far greater measure than Navy has under the O command & control of Coach Sowell over the past 8 seasons.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

Thanks! I would be curious on their thoughts.
I would also be curios on possible openings/rumblings and who may end up in those spots.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

According to College Crosse on twitter both Navy and Harvard have made changes at the top

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”