The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

Post by jhu72 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:17 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:31 pm Don't know. The whole thing is pretty nuts.
I don't do twitter, clueless what's going on there.
We figured...

Someone brought Bud Light to our civic league meeting tonight. Shockingly, people drank it.
Wife and I went out to dinner last night. Decided to go somewhere we had never been, rather than one of our favorite places. Ended up in a pretty nice bar and grille just 1/4 mile on the Maryland side of the Pennsylvania border. This is Maga-land. As many cars in the parking lot from PA as from MD. Lots of old folks mostly blue collar couples who left Baltimore proper or the inner suburbs many years ago to retire to lower taxes in southern York county, PA. Mostly farms on the Maryland side of the line. Was surprised to see the place serving Bud Light and people drinking it. Even served my beer, a craft IPA, in a Bud Light glass. The attached package good store was carrying / displaying Bud Light -- prominently. Go figure.

The food was pretty good, Thursday night special, Prime Rib. The atmosphere friendly. Will probably go back from time to time.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:49 am
DMac wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:31 pm Don't know. The whole thing is pretty nuts.
We figured...

Someone brought Bud Light to our civic league meeting tonight. Shockingly, people drank it.
Wife and I went out to dinner last night. Decided to go somewhere we had never been, rather than one of our favorite places. Ended up in a pretty nice bar and grille just 1/4 mile on the Maryland side of the Pennsylvania border. This is Maga-land. As many cars in the parking lot from PA as from MD. Lots of old folks mostly blue collar couples who left Baltimore proper or the inner suburbs many years ago to retire to lower taxes in southern York county, PA. Mostly farms on the Maryland side of the line. Was surprised to see the place serving Bud Light and people drinking it. Even served my beer, a craft IPA, in a Bud Light glass. The attached package good store was carrying / displaying Bud Light -- prominently. Go figure.

The food was pretty good, Thursday night special, Prime Rib. The atmosphere friendly. Will probably go back from time to time.
Yup, probably not many internet trolls amongst that bunch.

But they do watch Fox and they're still pumping the controversy, but perhaps with less and less effect:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertainme ... ontroversy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:59 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:49 am
We figured...

Yup, probably not many internet trolls amongst that bunch.

But they do watch Fox and they're still pumping the controversy, but perhaps with less and less effect:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertainme ... ontroversy
These people believe there were production runs of those cans and that there was an advertising campaign…..this is how uninformed the general public is but folks are quick to spread it. It’s like a fart on a bus.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

I drink PBR draught at the watering hole I go to, have been there twice since the big boycott began.
Both times my beer has come in Bud Light glasses. I couldn't have cared less and there was nary a
comment from anyone about it. Didn't ask how Bud Light sales were going last time I was there.
No denying that Bud and others have taken a big hit as a result of their campaign(s) though.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:25 am I drink PBR draught at the watering hole I go to, have been there twice since the big boycott began.
Both times my beer has come in Bud Light glasses. I couldn't have cared less and there was nary a
comment from anyone about it. Didn't ask how Bud Light sales were going last time I was there.
No denying that Bud and others have taken a big hit as a result of their campaign(s) though.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90888756/bu ... ng-outrage

:shock: :shock:

The general public is stupid. Learned that from my friend Rod when he was working at an auto parts store when we were seniors in high school. He was absolutely right.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:25 am I drink PBR draught at the watering hole I go to, have been there twice since the big boycott began.
Yup. Seems to be down 25-30% every week year over year. Same people not drinking Bud Light every week, found a new lower level it seems like it happened immediately. Funny thing is, Miller who has an LGBTQ program in place and a boycott called has seen their Lite business go up. Both Coors and Miller are up IRCC in 15 to 20% range. I doubt any of this is a locked in long term. There are multiple 1000s of new beer drinkers entering the market every day.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I knew nothing about this Bud Light controversy and... It is amazing how much power politics and marketing have. Of course, there is an enormous number of people who look at this Bud Light stuff, roll their eyes, and say, So silly! i.e. They're not influenced by the branding associated with the politics of the transgender community nor the politics of Bud Light but, though few want to admit this, they're irrational about something else. Myself included. This irrationality is amazing to me.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:52 am
Yup. Seems to be down 25-30% every week year over year. Same people not drinking Bud Light every week, found a new lower level it seems like it happened immediately. Funny thing is, Miller who has an LGBTQ program in place and a boycott called has seen their Lite business go up. Both Coors and Miller are up IRCC in 15 to 20% range. I doubt any of this is a locked in long term. There are multiple 1000s of new beer drinkers entering the market every day.
And most of those lean toward "inclusion", not away.

Most people could care less about a TikTok influencer...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:50 am

The general public is stupid. Learned that from my friend Rod when he was working at an auto parts store when we were seniors in high school. He was absolutely right.
Yup. Bud handled this very stupidly, they have both sides p*ssed at them, They would have been better off just taking their lumps from the beer bigots. Target did the same thing, although they got back in line with the LGBTQ pretty quickly (more quickly).
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

As noted many times, I'm not a fussy beer drinker but Bud is one I absolutely will not drink, I think it's horrible stuff. Have always wondered how it can be the #1 seller and have thought from the beginning of this mess that if those Bud drinkers get out of their Bud box a little and start drinking other beers they won't go back to that swill. Put a Bud and Yeungling side by side and tell me which one is better.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:06 am
As noted many times, I'm not a fussy beer drinker but Bud is one I absolutely will not drink, I think it's horrible stuff. Have always wondered how it can be the #1 seller and have thought from the beginning of this mess that if those Bud drinkers get out of their Bud box a little and start drinking other beers they won't go back to that swill. Put a Bud and Yeungling side by side and tell me which one is better.
I am the same way. Hate the taste of all of their products. Love their amusement parks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm a lager or pilsner drinker when I just want a cold refreshing beer, as I seem to have a negative reaction to most IPA's...my son is the opposite, loves the IPA's. I prefer ales, porters, stouts, most of the time, when taste is more important to me. I can't stand the wheat and citrus stuff...

I prefer Yuengling over Budweiser but I don't have an objection to a cold Bud. Rolling Rock out of a long neck in NE bar... The key to any of these, though, is cold...

Ahh the old Natty Boh at the park, National Premium as soon as a couple of $ to spend...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 am
a fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:11 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 am Ha! Okay, 1977 Florida...
I could say I forgot but frankly, I doubt I even knew this was happening, nor cared at that point in my life.

Yet you speak with complete confidence that I have no idea what I'm talking about....and you do. ;)
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 am You completely misunderstood my earlier posts and are making my point that the trans movement is just an extension of the decades-established gay movement.
That's your opinion.

My cousin would disagree with your assessment about the "trans movement", btw.

His view, and mine, is that this is all fruit from the same tree, the Constitution. Everyone wants the same rights. That's it. That's as complicated as it gets. You want to say Trans or Gay, or Muslims or whomever....... looking for the same rights everyone other American enjoys have nothing to do with the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's where Black Americans were looking for these very same rights enumerated in the Constitution is just.....foreign to me, and I'll leave it at that.

Agree to disagree, I guess, and move on. I have no interest in going round and round, either....enjoy your week, and enjoyed the back and forth.
May I ask- what is the "Trans Movement?"
What is this demographic looking for and wanting? What rights are being disallowed?
I'm not following this as a marriage or voting rights movement. What is it all about?
Not to worry kram. Although mdlax attempts to create an all about right-wing fascist jargon, it's simply an abbreviation. Comical...

BTW, haven't seen many comments from the clique boys on here re the NYT article you cited. Must be tough when you're trying so hard to wind up on "the right side of history" (whatever that is) when your team in the war is caught sporting Nazi attire.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:04 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:50 am

Yup. Bud handled this very stupidly, they have both sides p*ssed at them, They would have been better off just taking their lumps from the beer bigots. Target did the same thing, although they got back in line with the LGBTQ pretty quickly (more quickly).
If the community is going to continue to be treated like garbage they’re gonna need to get drunk a lot
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

C. Anchor Steam
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:56 am
I'm a lager or pilsner drinker when I just want a cold refreshing beer, as I seem to have a negative reaction to most IPA's...my son is the opposite, loves the IPA's. I prefer ales, porters, stouts, most of the time, when taste is more important to me. I can't stand the wheat and citrus stuff...

I prefer Yuengling over Budweiser but I don't have an objection to a cold Bud. Rolling Rock out of a long neck in NE bar... The key to any of these, though, is cold...

Ahh the old Natty Boh at the park, National Premium as soon as a couple of $ to spend...
Might be worth trying Tropicalia. One of the few I like thats a little fruity.

https://creaturecomfortsbeer.com/beers/tropicalia/
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:44 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 am
a fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:11 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 am Ha! Okay, 1977 Florida...
I could say I forgot but frankly, I doubt I even knew this was happening, nor cared at that point in my life.

Yet you speak with complete confidence that I have no idea what I'm talking about....and you do. ;)
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 am You completely misunderstood my earlier posts and are making my point that the trans movement is just an extension of the decades-established gay movement.
That's your opinion.

My cousin would disagree with your assessment about the "trans movement", btw.

His view, and mine, is that this is all fruit from the same tree, the Constitution. Everyone wants the same rights. That's it. That's as complicated as it gets. You want to say Trans or Gay, or Muslims or whomever....... looking for the same rights everyone other American enjoys have nothing to do with the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's where Black Americans were looking for these very same rights enumerated in the Constitution is just.....foreign to me, and I'll leave it at that.

Agree to disagree, I guess, and move on. I have no interest in going round and round, either....enjoy your week, and enjoyed the back and forth.
May I ask- what is the "Trans Movement?"
What is this demographic looking for and wanting? What rights are being disallowed?
I'm not following this as a marriage or voting rights movement. What is it all about?
Not to worry kram. Although mdlax attempts to create an all about right-wing fascist jargon, it's simply an abbreviation. Comical...

BTW, haven't seen many comments from the clique boys on here re the NYT article you cited. Must be tough when you're trying so hard to wind up on "the right side of history" (whatever that is) when your team in the war is caught sporting Nazi attire.
Zarathustra speaks!

Then will run away when confronted with real intellect.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:18 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 am May I ask- what is the "Trans Movement?"
Here's a conversation I just had with Ohmilax. This is the State of Florida's discriminatory laws surrounding education and LGBTQ....

States are actively REMOVING their rights, Kram. That's why you're hearing the noise from the left. States all over the country are moving to basically make it so that K-12 pretends like there's no such thing as Gay, let alone Trans, and attempting to punish teachers who dare to mention it. They're not doing a very good job at it, as the wording of the laws are a complete mess....which is increasing teacher vacancies in places like Florida at light speed because they don't really know what they can or can't do without breaking the law.

It's a mess.
a fan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:36 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:16 pm
Understood. What rights are we talking about here? My post right before this one asks the same question.

Muslim parents don't want their kids exposed/indoctrinated (use your preferred term) and lgbtq counter protest because the right they're fighting for is___________. I need help with this.
No problem! I think a lot of the concerns are coming from folks who don't have kids, and so they don't have the slightest idea what's mandated instruction in schools in 2023. I have an eight year old, fwiw.

The Mandated Curriculum we discussed before was Florida's.....

Here's part (part...they have more sections that are far more detailed) of the 2022 Mandatory teachings for FLA public schools. Take a look around. You'll find they MANDATE teachings on anti-semitism, racism, sexism, discrimination of all kinds, the power of meritocracy. There's a week for the Holocaust. Big section on African American experience. Section on women's experience. Section on Hispanic experience.

Andd sex ed, community studies...including mandatory discussions on the family unit. Mandatory instruction on the evils of discrimination. And on and on.

....so looking at all this, and all the things that every Florida school MUST teach, do you think it's reasonable to completely exclude any and all mention whatsoever of LGBTQ? Because that's what's being attempted in many, many States.

They're literally saying: not only do we not acknowledge your existence, we're going to complete ignore, and not discuss discrimination of LGBTQ, while we MANDATE discussions of literally every other form of discrimination in America, and every other form of the American family. How do you discuss family without discussing sexuality? Impossible. You can't....but they're trying.

Does this help?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 03.42.html
Does Ohmilax or anyone else have a comment here? It's clear as day that LGBTQ folks don't have the same rights given to Hispanics, Black Americans, Women, etc. in Florida schools, where DeSantis and Co. are singling them out, and teaching children about discrimination of everyone EXCEPT LGBTQ.

They don't have the same rights. Full stop. You can teach about this history of discrimination of women or black Americans....but you are FORBIDDEN from teaching about LGBTQ discrimination? Not only is that absurd, it's incredibly ironic.
What major players/actions/events in LGBTQ history and discrimination are being ignored in the classrooms?
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Lavender Scare?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Andersen wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:24 am Lavender Scare?
Have to admit when I was a kid I thought Jimi was singing “excuse me while I kiss this guy”. Even in my single digits I didn’t judge, not my jam, just made me think “man this dude really does go hard!”

https://abita.com/brews/purple-haze
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”