Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 10stone5 »

2023, not 2003 - solid offense in 2023 after two years of bad offense.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

News about the game with the other sticks:
Top-ranked Blue Jays go to first College World Series by beating Baldwin Wallace 8-2. Soph starter Matt Savedoff (10-0) threw complete game, 148 pitches, 98 strikes.
JHU plays Lynchburg Wednesday, 2 out of 3. Looking for HOF coach Bob Babb’s first title.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:10 pm I'm sorry 51 but 3rd goalie on a team that missed the ncaa tournament and that we blew out 17-8 doesn't scream "This guy gets us to Memorial Day". Some of the criticism that you, HF16, and others publicly and privately level at commenters like can be justified from time to time, but his credentials say "In the mix" not plug and star like Brother Mazzone and Melendez.
What are you talking about? GO read carefully - I never said the new goalie addition was going to do anything - he may start someday - he may never play a meaningful minute. How in the world would I know? - what I do know is that you almost certainly never saw him play in high school - never attended an Ohio State practice - again wouldn't know the kid if he walked up and kicked you in the nuts. SO how are you expressing the opinion that he's "not a solution"? You have no earthly idea. And using Melendez as an example is rich - kid played for an MIAA team thatis not usually up there consistently with the BLs and CHs etc. Went to Marquette and produced very little due to injuries, You'll have to direct me to all the posts that said this kid was going to pop for over 50 points at the time Hopkins got him. Sure there were a greater number of folks who probably saw him play in the MIAA that knew he was talented and there were whispers coming out of fall that Hop had something but again you don't know know until you know and while ultimately the ol broken clock is correct twice a day and this kid may never play much in goal for JHU the only thing that is certain is that you don't know jack about it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hopfan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm News about the game with the other sticks:
Top-ranked Blue Jays go to first College World Series by beating Baldwin Wallace 8-2. Soph starter Matt Savedoff (10-0) threw complete game, 148 pitches, 98 strikes.
JHU plays Lynchburg Wednesday, 2 out of 3. Looking for HOF coach Bob Babb’s first title.
I couldn't remember ever hearing of a Hopkins educated MLB player but the baseballreference site said Davey Johnson of Mets fame took a computer class at Hopkins. Quite the story.
https://footer.mlblogs.com/before-there ... cd79fdfb86

Johnson, who obtained a mathematics degree from Trinity University, was a formidable challenge for Weaver. Johnson wasn’t the prototypical, cookie-cutter ballplayer — he was smart, and he was curious. While finishing his coursework at Trinity University, he took a computer class at Johns Hopkins University, just for the heck of it. It was during that time he had lunch with an engineer-turned-author named Earnshaw Cook, who left an immeasurable impression on the numbers-minded Johnson.

Cook, also a professor at Johns Hopkins, had written a book called “Percentage Baseball.” In hindsight, it was sabermetrics before sabermetrics. It was also rebuffed by a baseball community unwilling to embrace Cook’s oddball philosophies that suggested the best hitters should bat first, that sacrifice bunts were wasteful and relief pitchers — get this — should start games and then be replaced by a pinch-hitter when it came time for his first at-bat. Starting pitchers would then enter the game and pitch the next four or five innings. This, Cook argued, could tack on another 25 wins for a team.

Cook’s theories piqued the interest of a few people, according to this Alan Schwartz feature — Tal Smith, a young, up-and-coming executive with the Astros and self-proclaimed stat nerd, Ewing Kauffman, owner of the Kansas City Royals, and Johnson.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Hopfan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm News about the game with the other sticks:
Go Bob and team!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Lawrenceville is ranked the #1 HS team in the country.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... k-12/61683

It looks like Hopkins has four commits from this team:

Quintan Kilrain D
Chuck Rawson M
Tyler Eye LSM
Ace Lumpris M
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:41 am Lawrenceville is ranked the #1 HS team in the country.

Quintan Kilrain D
Chuck Rawson M
Tyler Eye LSM
Ace Lumpris M
Congratulations to one and all!

Ok, so … “Ace Lumpris” has to be the best made-up-sounding name since “Dudley Dixon.”

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lumpris is still fielding high-level D1 football offers and is not a lock to stay committed.

Kilrain is a D1-ready defenseman and, critically, he's a lefty. I believe he and Brown will be the only lefty defensemen on the roster next year. Could help get him on the field sooner rather than later.

Eye is electric off the ground and in transition but we won't see him till fall 2024.

Rawson is a bit like a left-handed English. They played in high school together and are on the same Jr. A team. If Rawson gets time as a freshman I'd expect him to run alongside Brooks.

This incoming class is very deep. It's going to have a significant impact over time. Think people are going to like Charlie Iler. He's a fearless dodger. Reminds me a bit of Melendez. Not as big but a hair quicker. Concerns about the level of competition in California should be put to bed after his PG year at Western Reserve where he played (and scored) against Culver, Hill, Loyola, Gonzaga, etc.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Alex Mazzone talks about his year at Johns Hopkins.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... wn-e25duns
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:13 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:41 am Lawrenceville is ranked the #1 HS team in the country.

Quintan Kilrain D
Chuck Rawson M
Tyler Eye LSM
Ace Lumpris M
Congratulations to one and all!

Ok, so … “Ace Lumpris” has to be the best made-up-sounding name since “Dudley Dixon.”

DocBarrister 8-)
don't forget Orry Michael
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Baseball update: Lynchburg won yesterday, Hopkins just won Game 2. Rubber match starts around 4pm for the title. Live-streamed on NCAA site.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:50 pm The coaches i have known met w every player after rhe season ended to review their year, goals to accomplish over the summer. discuss how they see them helping the team the next year and getting feedback from the player eg reactions, suggestions etc. i don’t know PM but i assume he is similar
Names? Not causal beer buddies.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

“The coaches i have known” Is there anything about beer buddies in there?
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Hopkins baseball loses title game 7-6. Congrats to Coach Babb and the team on another great season. Young team so expect they’ll be back.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:11 pm “The coaches i have known” Is there anything about beer buddies in there?
Just to be clear, it's an NCAA requirement to do these reviews...so, of course other coaches do it.

And of course PM does. Not a question to be raised.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Hopfan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:41 pm Hopkins baseball loses title game 7-6. Congrats to Coach Babb and the team on another great season. Young team so expect they’ll be back.
Bummer, but wow Bob keeps rolling out great teams.

And this is with significantly tightened academic requirements on all the DIII sports.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm
Hopfan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:41 pm Hopkins baseball loses title game 7-6. Congrats to Coach Babb and the team on another great season. Young team so expect they’ll be back.

And this is with significantly tightened academic requirements on all the DIII sports.
I've always wondered w/d3 why Williams and Amherst were so good across d3 sports.

IL has a portal tracker. Hopkins is notably absent from the outgoing transfers side (St.Joes also missing from a quick glance). Maybe the kiddos are all in on the Milliman train.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm

I've always wondered w/d3 why Williams and Amherst were so good across d3 sports.

IL has a portal tracker. Hopkins is notably absent from the outgoing transfers side (St.Joes also missing from a quick glance). Maybe the kiddos are all in on the Milliman train.
Super desirable schools so late bloomers and bright but just not quite D1 ready kids attracted. Obviously, quite a few are actually D1 caliber...but only so many get picked up by the Ivies, etc.

I think Williams does especially well on the individual sports, which add up points fast but don't require as many student-athletes to do so.

Bob Babb's success is really off the charts. Proud of my friend. Such a nice, humble guy.
Apparently, 3 of the top players were out with injuries for the final game...ugh, so close!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:21 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:11 pm “The coaches i have known” Is there anything about beer buddies in there?
Just to be clear, it's an NCAA requirement to do these reviews...so, of course other coaches do it.

Just to be clear i was responding to another post. I shoukd have provided your reply.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Just to be clear i was responding to another post. I shoukd have provided your reply.
no sweat, got it. I was supporting this... just no reason to only "assume PM is similar"...of course they do these reviews.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”