York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: York 2024

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:12 am No idea as to the why behind any of this. 7 players are in the portal, all of them are underclassman.

In order of the Day they were added:

Ryan Kazella 5/24
Eric Burbank 5/25
Christopher Koltzan 5/30
Ben Mayer 6/1
Tyler Palehonki 6/2
Jack Hooper 6/5
Aidan DeJuluis 6/5
DeJulius was not listed on the roster in 23.

Two Florida kids. 15hrs
Two NC kids 7hrs
One from CT. 6hrs
One from NY

I know many are excited to see so many kids in the current recruit class from far away states, But this is a reality many overlook. Being far from home in your teens, Some kids embrace the independence, others don’t.

As someone said. Covid messed with the recruiting process. The class of 25 and 26 were not able to get full campus tours. No overnight visits. We are seeing it in the transfers.

Just looking at Yorks Instagram page. 14 freshman from the class of 25 were introduced at the start of the 22 season. 9 remain
From the 26 class, there were 17 in the class. I am pretty sure all 17 were introduced on Instagram last fall. only 5 of those intros are still up. Wondering if more than 7 are leaving this year.

If those numbers are accurate. 14 of 31 from the covid recruits remain.
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:51 am I know many are excited to see so many kids in the current recruit class from far away states, But this is a reality many overlook. Being far from home in your teens, Some kids embrace the independence, others don’t.

As someone said. Covid messed with the recruiting process. The class of 25 and 26 were not able to get full campus tours. No overnight visits. We are seeing it in the transfers.
Ha! 25s/26s aren't transferring en masse because they missed a campus tour or went to school in a different state ... they're leaving because 24 year-olds can't work up the cojones to get a job after 5+ years of college and coaches can't keep themselves from bringing in a slew of beer-league players in hopes of winning just one extra DIII game. This extra year/transfer glut will cause certain schools to have a serious swoon in 2025 and 2026 when their depleted 25/26 classes turn into juniors/seniors and there's no milk left in the portal teat.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:06 am
... coaches can't keep themselves from bringing in a slew of beer-league players in hopes of winning just one extra DIII game. This extra year/transfer glut will cause certain schools to have a serious swoon in 2025 and 2026 when their depleted 25/26 classes turn into juniors/seniors and there's no milk left in the portal teat.
To be fair, while there are school doing this, York hasn’t been crushing the portal so to speak. They’ve grabbed one or two guys a year, who haven’t really contributed much.

York has been criticized for their large recruit classes while retaining top talent. They’re relative success is happening via the elevating level of talent in each class, coupled with the older staples from within. They aren’t the team you’re describing here, though those teams do exist.

They will lose players to attrition by the nature of this process, and the team #s pan out accordingly. As far as the only two players who were strong contributors leaving, those reasons are separate, and will emerge later.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:51 am I know many are excited to see so many kids in the current recruit class from far away states, But this is a reality many overlook. Being far from home in your teens, Some kids embrace the independence, others don’t.

Ha! 25s/26s aren't transferring en masse because they missed a campus tour or went to school in a different state ... they're leaving because 24 year-olds can't work up the cojones to get a job after 5+ years of college and coaches can't keep themselves from bringing in a slew of beer-league players in hopes of winning just one extra DIII game. This extra year/transfer glut will cause certain schools to have a serious swoon in 2025 and 2026 when their depleted 25/26 classes turn into juniors/seniors and there's no milk left in the portal teat.
This may be true about the 5th years and will probably be true about the 2026 season as that will be the first season without any extra year kids in D3. But the inescapable reality is that these kids have that option (were you angry that Cross Ferrara stayed those extra years or are you upset about all the Princeton kids taking an extra year elsewhere?) If I could get my master's paid for I would have probably stayed as well.
The covid years are a double-edged sword as it is great for the current classes it is pretty bad for the 2025 class as they will not spend a single year in school without covid extra year kids.

I think that the other possibility is that many of these kids were fringe D-1 kids who thought that they would come into a D-3 program and either play right away or start, at least a couple cited playing time as the reason for their departure, (from what I understand)
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:34 am
... coaches can't keep themselves from bringing in a slew of beer-league players in hopes of winning just one extra DIII game. This extra year/transfer glut will cause certain schools to have a serious swoon in 2025 and 2026 when their depleted 25/26 classes turn into juniors/seniors and there's no milk left in the portal teat.
To be fair, while there are school doing this, York hasn’t been crushing the portal so to speak. They’ve grabbed one or two guys a year, who haven’t really contributed much.

York has been criticized for their large recruit classes while retaining top talent. They’re relative success is happening via the elevating level of talent in each class, coupled with the older staples from within. They aren’t the team you’re describing here, though those teams do exist.

They will lose players to attrition by the nature of this process, and the team #s pan out accordingly. As far as the only two players who were strong contributors leaving, those reasons are separate, and will emerge later.
I think it would be a mistake to think that York overuses the portal. 4 kids in the last 2 years and all-depth pieces. I know that he has had others interested but did not take as they were not a fit.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

2 pages already!!
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Jacksonville putting the full court press on for Mayer
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:16 am Jacksonville putting the full court press on for Mayer
Yes. That might be a good fit for him, closer to home etc. The listed portal players will not be returning, so hopefully they can all find good fits.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:16 am Jacksonville putting the full court press on for Mayer
That is not surprising at all.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:22 pm
Interesting, if you look at his social media profile. He is being followed by Salisbury.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:49 pm
Interesting, if you look at his social media profile. He is being followed by Salisbury.
OOF. That would be quite a move to make…. I think he is looking for a Division 1 opportunity. He could find a lot of success that way as he won’t be the attention getter from the opposing scouting report.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Would not be surprised by Jacksonville as he appears to want D-1 and Jacksonville has no issues in taking kids from the portal, especially D-3 kids. Good Luck to him if that is his choice
DaleJr

Post by DaleJr »

A move to Salisbury would certainly be something for Mayer. There's been rumors of official visits to D1 programs for him. It will be interesting to see him weigh his options and make a decision. Is York going to make any big splashes in the portal as a result of this?
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

One would imagine that a current top D3 rising sophomore or junior, seeing the success that so many D3 grad transfers have had at the D1 level, can't help but wonder what options might be open to them. Remember, they don't have the bonus eligibility from Covid.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:20 pm One would imagine that a current top D3 rising sophomore or junior, seeing the success that so many D3 grad transfers have had at the D1 level, can't help but wonder what options might be open to them. Remember, they don't have the bonus eligibility from Covid.
D1 schools get so much talent coming in, they have a luxury of not being forced to build a talent. I could see some of these transfer kids landing at a D1 program even though they might only have two seasons remaining.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:49 pm
Just went to check his followers and see he picked up a recent follow from John Galloway Jax HC himself as well. Might be down to go d1 at jax or go try to repeat under berkman at Salisbury. Would certainly be an interesting move won’t be too popular. However him and Jude on an attack line together would be fun to watch
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:33 pm
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:20 pm One would imagine that a current top D3 rising sophomore or junior, seeing the success that so many D3 grad transfers have had at the D1 level, can't help but wonder what options might be open to them. Remember, they don't have the bonus eligibility from Covid.
D1 schools get so much talent coming in, they have a luxury of not being forced to build a talent. I could see some of these transfer kids landing at a D1 program even though they might only have two seasons remaining.
Yeah exactly. But my point is that is why there may be more D3 sophomores and juniors in there from good programs because there is more market for them at the D1 level.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

If you’re suggesting they don’t have to develop those players you’re off your rocker. It’s all relative. Yes they bring in a ton of talent, however so does every other team in their schedule.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:59 pm
If you’re suggesting they don’t have to develop those players you’re off your rocker. It’s all relative. Yes they bring in a ton of talent, however so does every other team in their schedule.
Searching my post, and looking for “don’t have to develop”

Not seeing that.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I’m thinking Harnick Townsend Wilhelm is a nice attack unit. Just sayin.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”