Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DougELax wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 am
They also seem to have done away with the kiddos on the ends of the field running around chasing errant balls.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of bread but probably best to do your utmost to make sure nobody other than a player gets hit with a lacrosse ball - especially a child even wearing a helmet.
They did away with the ball boys years ago, I am sure it was a liability issue. Both of my sons had the opportunity to do this and ended up on TV. I am sure this contributes to them still being huge fans even though neither attended Hopkins.
Too bad about this. My son was a Junior Jay for several years. They kept away from the back line during the game, full equipment; only replaced balls during timeouts and breaks; got tours of the locker room, met the players, got a talk by Metro and maybe some pizza too...pretty nonsensical to be worried about liability; get a parental sign-off (I feel sure we signed something)...heck, when I was a kid we hopped the fence and shagged balls out of the air if I could from directly behind the goal. Not everyone could shoot as hard as now, but some of those shots were whistlers...and we managed to catch some and never got hit...if we missed or out of reach we ran to get them if they stayed inside the back fence and replaced them for the officials. Just a couple of us would do this as maybe some kids were smarter or less crazy, but it certainly wasn't a big deal. You paid close attention to the shooter!

Much bigger risk is when I see a pack of kids go out and shoot on a goal during halftime of a HS game and sling a whole bunch of balls as hard as they can while others are retrieving their shots, ball hits the pipe......or some kid jumps in the goal without a helmet...that does make me flinch a bit...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:53 am
They also seem to have done away with the kiddos on the ends of the field running around chasing errant balls.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of bread but probably best to do your utmost to make sure nobody other than a player gets hit with a lacrosse ball - especially a child even wearing a helmet.
They did away with the ball boys years ago, I am sure it was a liability issue. Both of my sons had the opportunity to do this and ended up on TV. I am sure this contributes to them still being huge fans even though neither attended Hopkins.
Too bad about this. My son was a Junior Jay for several years. They kept away from the back line during the game, full equipment; only replaced balls during timeouts and breaks; got tours of the locker room, met the players, got a talk by Metro and maybe some pizza too...pretty nonsensical to be worried about liability; get a parental sign-off (I feel sure we signed something)...heck, when I was a kid we hopped the fence and shagged balls out of the air if I could from directly behind the goal. Not everyone could shoot as hard as now, but some of those shots were whistlers...and we managed to catch some and never got hit...if we missed or out of reach we ran to get them if they stayed inside the back fence and replaced them for the officials. Just a couple of us would do this as maybe some kids were smarter or less crazy, but it certainly wasn't a big deal. You paid close attention to the shooter!

Much bigger risk is when I see a pack of kids go out and shoot on a goal during halftime of a HS game and sling a whole bunch of balls as hard as they can while others are retrieving their shots, ball hits the pipe......or some kid jumps in the goal without a helmet...that does make me flinch a bit...
Liability waivers only get you so far. Hopkins still needs insurance coverage. Even the largest insurance companies are struggling for survival these days. Mitigating risk is the name of the game, and nothing is easier than requiring a university to keep kids away from an activity where they are not necessary.

It’s the world we live in now.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:45 am

Liability waivers only get you so far. Hopkins still needs insurance coverage. Even the largest insurance companies are struggling for survival these days. Mitigating risk is the name of the game, and nothing is easier than requiring a university to keep kids away from an activity where they are not necessary.

stage right:
doc b chuckles softly to himself as he watches workers trim his banana and palm trees, sipping brazilian coffee from his veranda.

edit: we're into it a little today, but i couldn't resist.
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

I know at Carolina lacrosse we have our own issues. I am writing out of curiosity because yesterday both the Hopkins mens' and womens' head basketball coaches resigned to become D1 assistants. The mens' coach to Cincinnati, the womens' coach to Loyola. Is there something going on in the athletic department? Both coaches were very successful and in the mens' situation he had already been a longtime D1 assistant before coming to Hopkins. I just don't see a coach leaving a stable situation at Hopkins to become an assistant at Loyola. I can see Cincinnati being a big pay bump, but not Loyola. The entire situation seems really odd to me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I dunno Doc, might as well ban children from attending games, heck campus, they might trip and fall.

This just isn't a serious risk...and I very much doubt any insurance company would say they're gonna change their pricing based on it. Way, way more risk actually on the field, in practices, etc.

I'm all for reducing risks when they're serious, not because of insurance, but because of real-world implications...but there's risk every moment...this ain't one worth sweating enough to actually not have kids doing it. It's not as if someone's being forced to do it!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Carolinagrad wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:54 am I know at Carolina lacrosse we have our own issues. I am writing out of curiosity because yesterday both the Hopkins mens' and womens' head basketball coaches resigned to become D1 assistants. The mens' coach to Cincinnati, the womens' coach to Loyola. Is there something going on in the athletic department? Both coaches were very successful and in the mens' situation he had already been a longtime D1 assistant before coming to Hopkins. I just don't see a coach leaving a stable situation at Hopkins to become an assistant at Loyola. I can see Cincinnati being a big pay bump, but not Loyola. The entire situation seems really odd to me.
I dunno, sounds interesting.

I do know that my friend Bob Babb and the Hopkins baseball team are in the College World Series this weekend! They went 44-5 on the season.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/5/2 ... eries.aspx
NJE5222

Post by NJE5222 »

NLF just tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/kstone06/status/1664659351234125831

Some breaking news in the college lax recruiting world…

A source has told @bostonlaxnet that former @MXSchoolBVL & Ohio State goalie Oran Gelinas is heading to @jhumenslacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Well there's the goalie pickup I suppose. Apparently a pretty highly ranked recruit and a big body for sure but certainly a lottery ticket given he was buried on the depth chart for OSU. Maybe our staff knows something Myers doesn't or he just needs a little seasoning. At any rate assuming the report is correct welcome to the squad.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

6’3” 225lbs. Just completed his freshman year. Appeared in two games vs. Cleveland State and Detroit Mercy.

Gelinas was named an AP Scholar with honors at the Middlesex School.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Did the Big Ten get rid of its intra-conference transfer rule to sit out a year? I forget the status of that. I know the NCAA now allows a one-time transfer with no penalty but the conference used to have its own rule.

Anyway, welcome aboard. Good size for sure. I remember him getting some love from the recruiting circuit a few years ago
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:36 pm Well there's the goalie pickup I suppose. Apparently a pretty highly ranked recruit and a big body for sure but certainly a lottery ticket given he was buried on the depth chart for OSU. Maybe our staff knows something Myers doesn't or he just needs a little seasoning. At any rate assuming the report is correct welcome to the squad.
Just revealed...he has two pair of matching gloves.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:58 pm Did the Big Ten get rid of its intra-conference transfer rule to sit out a year? I forget the status of that. I know the NCAA now allows a one-time transfer with no penalty but the conference used to have its own rule.

Anyway, welcome aboard. Good size for sure. I remember him getting some love from the recruiting circuit a few years ago
Rule no longer exists.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OSU kid if he's coming was 3 on the osu depth chart. That's a scout team goalie. Not a solution.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The kid was a true freshman sitting behind a multi-year starter and a former ACC freshman of the year. Of course he was 3rd string. For being the guy who’s whole thing is complaining about the total lack of research and coverage for lacrosse in every publication under the sun you’d think you’d go to Inside Lacrosse and do 3 clicks and find that out before burying the guy.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:51 pm The kid was a true freshman sitting behind a multi-year starter and a former ACC freshman of the year. Of course he was 3rd string. For being the guy who’s whole thing is complaining about the total lack of research and coverage for lacrosse in every publication under the sun you’d think you’d go to Inside Lacrosse and do 3 clicks and find that out before burying the guy.
verbsfeld and caracciola had better credentials and couldn't beat out the Hop guys.

baseball won today, 4 wins from college baseball champions.
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/ ... -superpage
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Great catch on the transfer market!

Three years of eligibility for one of the top goalie recruits of 2022.

Welcome to Johns Hopkins, Oran!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:15 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:51 pm The kid was a true freshman sitting behind a multi-year starter and a former ACC freshman of the year. Of course he was 3rd string. For being the guy who’s whole thing is complaining about the total lack of research and coverage for lacrosse in every publication under the sun you’d think you’d go to Inside Lacrosse and do 3 clicks and find that out before burying the guy.
verbsfeld and caracciola had better credentials and couldn't beat out the Hop guys.

baseball won today, 4 wins from college baseball champions.
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/ ... -superpage
Those two guys were college starters with multiple years of experience. This kid was a true freshmen who was a 4* out of high school who sat behind two guys with multiple years of starting experience. There’s literally no comparison between the two. They’re not the same situation.

maybe the kid will be a potential starter. Maybe he won’t. Who knows! But you clearly knew absolutely nothing about him as a player and why he was 3rd strong and buried him, which is funny considering how much you like to bury others for not knowing enough about the sport.
lacrosse2330

Post by lacrosse2330 »

You’re just judging him off his freshman year? How about you go and actually watch his high school highlights? Shocking how many people on this site see something and jump on it without any info… trained with him at goalie smith and he always stood out with his size, length and flexibility. Just the man a chance before you jump on him jeez
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:09 pm

I dunno Doc, might as well ban children from attending games, heck campus, they might trip and fall.

This just isn't a serious risk...and I very much doubt any insurance company would say they're gonna change their pricing based on it. Way, way more risk actually on the field, in practices, etc.

I'm all for reducing risks when they're serious, not because of insurance, but because of real-world implications...but there's risk every moment...this ain't one worth sweating enough to actually not have kids doing it. It's not as if someone's being forced to do it!
I generally agree with you, MD, and I am certainly sympathetic with your views on this.

I don’t know all the thinking that went into the decision, but would not be surprised if insurance costs were a factor. Heck, many homeowners these days carry millions of dollars in umbrella (personal liability) insurance to protect against mishaps on their property.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

lacrosse2330 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:55 pm
You’re just judging him off his freshman year? How about you go and actually watch his high school highlights? Shocking how many people on this site see something and jump on it without any info… trained with him at goalie smith and he always stood out with his size, length and flexibility. Just the man a chance before you jump on him jeez
I’m not judging him at all. I never said anything about the guy. Him being 3rd string at OSU was obvious considering the goalie room they had. Not sure where he’ll figure in at JHU considering Marcille’s status is unknown but none of my comments have judged his abilities

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”