~Salisbury 2023~

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: ~Salisbury 2023~

Post by laxdad1434 »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:03 pm
Frank Rizzo wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:28 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm Would someone please give us an update on the Gulls.

From scanning some internet games they seem to be getting better as a team. To be expected from Berkman. Better heads up passing and cutting off picks and posts. Defense has also gotten better totally unexpected with the absence of Big Ben Sandlin. Borkowicz struck me as solid but not showy as a player. I have a sneaking suspicion he's a bit of an intellectual who really studies the game. I noticed they play zone at times which the Gull Defense will need if they play a run and gun Tufts team on a hot day. . A little insight here would be appreciated.

Fogos are coming of age. Malamphy hammered CNU. Not sure his Big Bro did as well. Goalies are doing well and stacked up in case someone has a bad day. Brown is first team AA caliber;, Bromwell, Doud , Thrasher and Nestor step up as needed. Second line ????

Finally Ferrara; last I read he was chasing several D III records. Where is he there? If John Uppgren from Tufts had broken Coffman's records, so be it. If he or Ferrara had played the Pfeiffer schedule, they'd have had 1000 points. No disrespect to Jared Nelson.
If my math is right, he looks to be 22 points behind Coffman. Of course an asterisk doesn’t begin to cover the difference as Coffman in 62 games and Ferrara, a great player who no one will ever claim to be the best ever D3 scorer, has already played 101 and isn’t done yet in year 6.

Salisbury's top 5 scorers are either grad students or seniors. Sure hope some of those juniors and sophomores are ready. Most just stand on the sideline chirping and never set foot on the field
While there is a lot of truth to Rizzo's post, I'll say this... I've been actually impressed with the amount of time I've seen from the underclassmen on such a senior/graduate-heavy team. Malmphy, Strub (as of late on 2nd midfield), and Stafford all log considerable minutes as freshmen. Bromwell and Ransom both start as sophomores. Throw in 2 freshmen (Mancha and Huffman) who are earning time and it's actually pretty impressive. Certainly not at the caliber of Jude, Cross, & Dowd, but nice to see.
That team is stacked, big, strong and fast. They will miss the Big 3, but will still be a top 5 team next year.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

I missed the second half of the Lynchburg game, but it seemed like (to me) the Cortland game is where everything began to click and it’s been a jumping off point from there. That game Jude had 10 assists and that is where he cemented himself as QB.

First several games (and even last year) it seemed like Cross would try to establish himself early, but seen some games recently where he doesn’t get his first shot/goal until the Gulls are up a few, nice weapon to have. The first few games of the season there was a lot of step-down shots from distance. But SU has historically wounded defenses with goals from inside 4-6 yards with good passing. Jude as QB makes that happen.

Yeah lot of seniors and grads, but from the looks of it the first MF line could come back (Dowd, Nestor, Bromwell) and Carozza, while not a starter, could slide into a starting attack role easily. The other two spots will be hard to replace.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm Finally Ferrara; last I read he was chasing several D III records. Where is he there? If John Uppgren from Tufts had broken Coffman's records, so be it. If he or Ferrara had played the Pfeiffer schedule, they'd have had 1000 points. No disrespect to Jared Nelson.
If my math is right, he looks to be 22 points behind Coffman. Of course an asterisk doesn’t begin to cover the difference as Coffman in 62 games and Ferrara, a great player who no one will ever claim to be the best ever D3 scorer, has already played 101 and isn’t done yet in year 6.
Coffman’s record was already broken by Ryan Gebhardt at MIT. Coffman’s record was 451; Gebhardt was at 488 points entering today, Ferrara at 433. For goal-scoring, he was at 331, with Luc Swedlund at 352 and Gebhardt at 370.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The amount of games played is absolutely insane these days. It's awesome.
I'm all for the boys getting as much eligibility and run as possible. I woulda loved it as a player.
Don't begrudge these boys for playing as much, and for as long as they can.
But just a reminder that Coffman's record was set through 66 games.
My guess is every kid on that list played around 90 games or more.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ah23 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:07 am
MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm Finally Ferrara; last I read he was chasing several D III records. Where is he there? If John Uppgren from Tufts had broken Coffman's records, so be it. If he or Ferrara had played the Pfeiffer schedule, they'd have had 1000 points. No disrespect to Jared Nelson.
Coffman’s record was already broken by Ryan Gebhardt at MIT. Coffman’s record was 451; Gebhardt was at 488 points entering today, Ferrara at 433. For goal-scoring, he was at 331, with Luc Swedlund at 352 and Gebhardt at 370.
Yes, I know, I was just responding to comparison of Ferrara and Coffman. Ferrara will end up playing over 40!!! more games. That is why people still talk about Coffman (and Uppgren) today and in 25 years no one is going to be talking about Ferrera or Gebhardt as an all time great. Wonderful scorers and if they broke records playing 5 or 10 more games so be it but when it takes 40 more games, it takes the shine completely off.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Congrats to Cross Ferrara, who was the lone DIII player taken in the PLL draft last night. He joined Sam Handley (UPenn) in being taken by the Chrome LC. Best of luck. I’m very much looking forward both to seeing him perform on the biggest stage, and no longer opposite my Spartans on the field.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

Hearing through the grapevine it is a complete knee blowout for Thomas Ballard… there goes the Gulls top cover guy (marked Kammerman, Mayer, Brednes/Cook) interested to see the effects this weekend.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

satstorm wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:51 pm Hearing through the grapevine it is a complete knee blowout for Thomas Ballard… there goes the Gulls top cover guy (marked Kammerman, Mayer, Brednes/Cook) interested to see the effects this weekend.
Yikes that’s a huge loss
Comet1

Post by Comet1 »

Gulls working on a big time transfer........50/50% proposition.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Comet1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:36 pm Gulls working on a big time transfer........50/50% proposition.
Who are they losing?
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Comet1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:36 pm Gulls working on a big time transfer........50/50% proposition.
Position? D3 to d3? Give us a lil somethin lol
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

No knowledge on this, but wonder if Cole Nestor comes back to the shore for his COVID year for a grad program. Could play with his brother and gets free education with his dad being the women’s lacrosse coach.
Comet1

Post by Comet1 »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:33 pm
Position? D3 to d3? Give us a lil somethin lol
Middie, Big Athlete
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Is this big or surprising news? Doesn't Salisbury get big transfers every year?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Great job by Berkman and the Gulls, great game plan. Congratulations!
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Huge Congratulations to coach Berkman and his team, and all the family and fans of the Salisbury program!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hats off to Salisbury! A team never to be underestimated...
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Congratulations on a well deserved and well fought win! Never been a big seagulls fan but I was very impressed by them all season and I’m glad they gave Tufts a beatdown.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Congratulations to Salisbury Nation. I was a doubter and enjoyed being wrong. What amazing execution they displayed on Monday.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

It is my understanding that Ferrara will be the only real loss on the offensive end. Rumor has it that Jude Brown will be back next year to direct the offense. Couple that with all the seniors having a Covid year, Salisbury seems primed to make a run at a repeat.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”