Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:50 pm Next year loyola, cuse, unc, osu, rutgers, (for them) maryland are going to come in angry after what were underwhelming seasons. PSU/Michigan have new confidence, the ivies are always in the mix and Notre Dame joins Duke and others that can now present recruits/parents and coaches with memorial day laurels.

Harder than ever to win next year.
You would have found a way to say "harder than ever to win next year" no matter what happened this year. And you'll say the same thing for 2025 no matter what happens in 2024. Some of you should probably stop predicting what's going to happen next year because it's abundantly clear you're no good at it

+1 NOVA
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:50 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:50 pm Next year loyola, cuse, unc, osu, rutgers, (for them) maryland are going to come in angry after what were underwhelming seasons. PSU/Michigan have new confidence, the ivies are always in the mix and Notre Dame joins Duke and others that can now present recruits/parents and coaches with memorial day laurels.

You would have found a way to say "harder than ever to win next year" no matter what happened this year. And you'll say the same thing for 2025 no matter what happens in 2024. Some of you should probably stop predicting what's going to happen next year because it's abundantly clear you're no good at it

+1 NOVA
I said the team would go as far as the junior middies would take it this year. I was right. It defined the season.

I will credit you however. You said mid last year the defense was starting to look a lot better. You were correct. 44 was night and day better. Raposo did a great job too. The young poles showed promise. JK continues to blossom as the next transformative Blue Jay defensive mind.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It's hard to win every year - predicting what will happen is close to futile. Of the teams you mention - if all of them are on the schedule - one piece of good news is that 5 of the 8 are at Homewood next year. And every team loses players and gains players - even Syracuse - who most think will be better next year - maybe by alot - has to replace the production from Kirst and Simmons - which adds up to way more than Degnon in the assist category - combined 47 goals 26 assists.

The really significant holes Hopkins has for next year are few but there is one that is quite significant - goalie. Other than that - it's a quarterfinal team that made the eventual national champion pay close attention and could return most of its major pieces and add a strong recruiting class. We can all read rosters so the obvious one-year eligibility remaining names on the white board are:
Angelus - appears to be a done deal
Szuluk - I think this is critical so as not to have to replace 2 pieces of the starting longpoles - however that does create the huge hole in '25 with Smith/Szuluk and possibly Deans (would have another year) saying goodbye at the same time
Hawley - A really really nice to have but maybe the most doubtful to return
Jaronski - An experienced piece - probably not irreplaceable
Marcille - You can't realistically think a goalie room of two - with the total amount of D1 minutes played of 23 - is optimal - if no portal acquisitions occur - he probably jumps to the top of the list - a decision for him to return should not preclude the portal however.

Again, one thing to think about is development - another example is if you return both Jaronski and Hawley - then you lose Jaronski/Hawley/Martin and Raposo at the end of next year and Ince would be a senior albeit with another year of eligibility. Maybe better to find out if your three 6'1" or better 200 lbs or better SSDMs can play sooner rather than later - as the sum total of their experiences is Reen's and Arteaga's little mop up against Ohio State. In this year's recruiting class - Claiborne and Colhoun have decent size - while the "higher ranked" middies are all smaller quick dodgers that would not be prototypical short sticks.

Have the health gods smile on you and receive competent goalie play from someone and 2024 will be a fun year.
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:47 am I said the team would go as far as the junior middies would take it this year. I was right. It defined the season
Uhhhh - No you weren't. The team went as far as it did as a team - plenty of credit and responsibility to go around.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:39 am Again, one thing to think about is development - another example is if you return both Jaronski and Hawley - then you lose Jaronski/Hawley/Martin and Raposo at the end of next year and Ince would be a senior albeit with another year of eligibility. Maybe better to find out if your three 6'1" or better 200 lbs or better SSDMs can play sooner rather than later - as the sum total of their experiences is Reen's and Arteaga's little mop up against Ohio State. In this year's recruiting class - Claiborne and Colhoun have decent size - while the "higher ranked" middies are all smaller quick dodgers that would not be prototypical short sticks.
Watch out for Billings next year. He's playing in the BCJALL this summer along with Phillips and Charboneau for those with some time on their hands — some of the games are streamed. A year in the program/full offseason of box is going to do him good. He came in very raw and had not played much competitive lacrosse the prior two years due to Covid and injuries but he has tantalizing upside as a two-way middie. Not sure when it'll happen but think it's just a matter of time before he pops.

Claiborne and Colhoun make sense as SSDM candidates but it's tough to get on the field as a freshman at that position. It's a totally different beast at this level, especially if you played primarily offense in high school. Martin was kind of an exception who took to the position immediately. If there's a new d-mid on the field next year my money would be on it being someone from the Billings/Reen/Arteaga/McDonald group (or perhaps a portal addition) as opposed to a freshman.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I will offer one - hopefully supported - criticism of the midfield corps - it would help Hopkins in no small way to cut down on the turnovers from those players. I know you might be able to say that the "positionless offense" contributes to those stats but 2 facts remain:
Hopkins committed 288 turnovers - 16 a game.
The midfield list on the stat sheet from Collison through English committed exactly 100 turnovers and 4 of them were either over 20 or pretty close. That's alot. For example, the prior Hopkins quarterfinal team had 103 fewer turnovers (only 1 less game) and except for Tinney nobody from the mid-field reached 10.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sounds like the portal is mostly a backup in case he doesn't get into Mich grad school. Would be a bit strange to leave there now if staying was an option. In any case, he was originally a Cuse commit, wasn't he? Gait will probably unload the NIL bank vault, if there's any money left. Kid is also a North Carolina native and Breschi could certainly use all the help he can get.

I doubt we're going to be involved. There's a certain goalie that should be at the top of everyone's wish list
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Jays ranked 5th in final Inside Lacrosse poll. Seems right to me and is quite impressive given preseason expectations.
johnnnyhopkins18

Post by johnnnyhopkins18 »

Are picking up any guys in the portal after Stoebner? Our team rn is fire, and if we return Angelus / Szuluk / Jaronski / Marcille I see no reason just stick with our guys. Need to let the young guys develop. Excited to see what the next 3 has in store for Collison / English / Marquis especially on offense. Wouldn’t mind a FOGO, Goalie, or Attacker pickup in the portal though? The FOGO from Brown seems pretty good?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:58 am Jays ranked 5th in final Inside Lacrosse poll. Seems right to me and is quite impressive given preseason expectations.
Think that's fair. We were arguably the best team not to make the Final Four. I'd expect to begin the 2024 season ranked in the 5-6 range. Maybe Maryland leapfrogs us just based on history and them getting a couple key guys back from injury.
johnnnyhopkins18 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:16 am Are picking up any guys in the portal after Stoebner? Our team rn is fire, and if we return Angelus / Szuluk / Jaronski / Marcille I see no reason just stick with our guys. Need to let the young guys develop. Excited to see what the next 3 has in store for Collison / English / Marquis especially on offense. Wouldn’t mind a FOGO, Goalie, or Attacker pickup in the portal though? The FOGO from Brown seems pretty good?
Wouldn't be surprised by a goalie, FOGO, or midfield addition through the portal. But agree in general — they're not going to go crazy. They like a lot of the young players, and for good reason. Collison will be a 4-time All-American if he stays healthy. They could definitely afford to shore up the speciality positions though.
August

Post by August »

What is under-appreciated is how important Hop's QUICK turn-around is to the league. Coupled with Michigan and PSU finding their footing and identity, the league has gone from a 23 pre-season question mark, to a must watch league in 24 and hopefully beyond. OSU has a Myers problem and Brecht has a Rutgers problem. Not sure how to work those out. But 4 out of 6 is pretty good.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

August wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:50 am What is under-appreciated is how important Hop's QUICK turn-around is to the league. Coupled with Michigan and PSU finding their footing and identity, the league has gone from a 23 pre-season question mark, to a must watch league in 24 and hopefully beyond. OSU has a Myers problem and Brecht has a Rutgers problem. Not sure how to work those out. But 4 out of 6 is pretty good.
Michigan switching out their goalie saved their season. Interesting there wasn't more criticism here for PM for not doing that.

Notre Dame added a bunch of guys today. If the NC who beat us can add, I'm sure we could too. I'm not sure whether PM hasn't wanted more transfers or hasn't been able to get the guys he wants. I'm sure HF16 has a list of kids PM has added in his time as well as the kids who've decommitted/transferred since Petro was whacked. Maher was a name we heard a lot about who didn't really figure in.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:28 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:58 am Jays ranked 5th in final Inside Lacrosse poll. Seems right to me and is quite impressive given preseason expectations.
Think that's fair. We were arguably the best team not to make the Final Four. I'd expect to begin the 2024 season ranked in the 5-6 range. Maybe Maryland leapfrogs us just based on history and them getting a couple key guys back from injury.
johnnnyhopkins18 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:16 am Are picking up any guys in the portal after Stoebner? Our team rn is fire, and if we return Angelus / Szuluk / Jaronski / Marcille I see no reason just stick with our guys. Need to let the young guys develop. Excited to see what the next 3 has in store for Collison / English / Marquis especially on offense. Wouldn’t mind a FOGO, Goalie, or Attacker pickup in the portal though? The FOGO from Brown seems pretty good?
Wouldn't be surprised by a goalie, FOGO, or midfield addition through the portal. But agree in general — they're not going to go crazy. They like a lot of the young players, and for good reason. Collison will be a 4-time All-American if he stays healthy. They could definitely afford to shore up the speciality positions though.
I suppose our biggest competition for a top FOGO is Virginia.

Any word on whether Mason Kohn has actually entered the portal?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Question

Has Hopkins developed an AthleticDepartment Pomicy on the use of NILs? The last departmental policies i read did not address NIL not too long ago
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

ANswer - from 2020 actually - this directly from jhusports web-site

JHU Department of Athletics Student-Athlete Name, Image & Likeness Policy
Johns Hopkins University is committed to allowing name, image, and likeness opportunities for all student-athletes consistent with NCAA legislation and University policies. This goal is consistent with the NCAA’s commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements across its members institutions.

The University has the ultimate responsibility of certifying the eligibility of its student-athletes and to educate and monitor its student-athletes, staff members and representatives of athletics interests under NCAA legislation. Therefore, all name, image, and likeness agreements must be disclosed to the Johns Hopkins University Athletics Compliance Office in accordance with the procedures outlined in the JHU Department of Athletics Student-Athlete Name, Image and Likeness Policy.

Name, image, and likeness activities must adhere to all University policies and guidelines, including but not limited to Use of Name and University Social Media policies. The Department of Athletics reserves the right to make changes to this Policy in its sole reasonable discretion.

Please click here for the full JHU Department of Athletics Student-Athlete Name, Image, & Likeness Policy.

Student-athletes, parents, and professional service providers should direct all NIL related questions to Jon Kindred ([email protected]).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:50 am Question

Has Hopkins developed an AthleticDepartment Pomicy on the use of NILs? The last departmental policies i read did not address NIL not too long ago
If you're thinking Hopkins is going to have success with NIL-which it should given the ESPN deal showcasing the players, you need to remember the ads on the sidelines aren't viewable on tv because they're pointed up towards the sun and the glare makes them look like white sheets. They also become untethered. Some of the white jersey numbers also look like sheets in the sun and are unviewable. Adding the black trim late in the season helped for the day games.

If they can't get that right I'm not sure you're going to see Scott Smith, Collison, or Russell Melendez on billboards or your childs tik toks with ads anytime soon.

They also seem to have done away with the kiddos on the ends of the field running around chasing errant balls.

Most of our rivals, including ones with better seasons, continue to add transfers. PM must be ready to drop something over the next week.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am If you're thinking Hopkins is going to have success with NIL-which it should given the ESPN deal showcasing the players, you need to remember the ads on the sidelines aren't viewable on tv because they're pointed up towards the sun and the glare makes them look like white sheets. They also become untethered. Some of the white jersey numbers also look like sheets in the sun and are unviewable. Adding the black trim late in the season helped for the day games.

If they can't get that right I'm not sure you're going to see Scott Smith, Collison, or Russell Melendez on billboards or your childs tik toks with ads anytime soon.
Your delusions of grandeur with respect to the impact of lacrosse on... well just about everything - appears to know no bounds.
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am They also seem to have done away with the kiddos on the ends of the field running around chasing errant balls.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of bread but probably best to do your utmost to make sure nobody other than a player gets hit with a lacrosse ball - especially a child even wearing a helmet.
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am Most of our rivals, including ones with better seasons, continue to add transfers. PM must be ready to drop something over the next week.
Why Must he? You guys really are emblematic of the post in the other thread about a mythical Onion headline "Johns Hopkins adds Every Portal transfer" Do you understand the math? 49 - 5 (the 5 that have to leave) + 1 (Stoebner) + 16 (incoming class) - 5 (seniors that likely won't return) = 56
Isn't that enough players (even if you lose a Hawley/Jaronski maybe a Marcille you're still at 53 or more)??? If Dunn/Callahan/Lane and the incoming freshman all show up for face-off duty - we need another for an all face-off intramural hoops team? I understand Kohn has gaudy stats and I am not saying he won't be successful at the D1 level but it is also true Tufts scored about 25 goals a game so they took close to 800 face-offs - by comparison Hopkins went to the faceoff x right around 500 times. So there clearly could be a competition issue when you're beating Springield 31-9 and Cabrini 24-7. Kohn might have 2 years of eligibility left which makes him slightly more interesting but that means he would be a 6 year guy so he might leave after 1 year anyway and I would rather be developing folks that are going to be around for a while. Plus apparently he may not be in the portal yet and may not have any interest in Hopkins. We'll see.

There is one area where a portal acquisition must be explored - of course - goalie. Tales about Marcille differ pretty widely - from he's coming back to no he wants to get on with med school and/or life. If he is leaving - as I already pointed out - your goalie room is down to 2 and the sum total of D1 experience is 23 minutes. Then you have no choice - you need a body to fog the mirror at the very least. If he is returning - you know what you have and then you have to consider whether its good enough.

Other than that - this discussion of we need a left handed sniper to replace Degnon - actually plenty of options exist already - an LSM - ehh Kaufman and Deans should be fine - they probably cant pick up gbs like Mazzone but chances are no one in the portal can either.

Relax - you're adding 17 new faces already - you very well may get 1 or 2 more - you guys are going to lose your minds next year when the very last of the COVID babies leave and the big senior class skedaddles.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Even if Marcille comes back I think they'll want another goalie, ideally one with some starting experience (e.g. Versfeld who was great in his spot start vs. Utah or Caracciolo, who helped win the Michigan game, which ended up being very important) — unless they feel really good about "Sgt. Friday" (Webb) or Verdi and it's hard to say if that's the case now. In the event the starter struggles or gets hurt, you better have a second option you trust.

Melendez and Mazzone were not the buzziest transfers last offseason but, whaddya know, they both finished the season as All-Americans. Think the staff — all four of them, not just PM — have now earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to portal strategy. Trust the process.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

jhu06 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 am
They also seem to have done away with the kiddos on the ends of the field running around chasing errant balls.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of bread but probably best to do your utmost to make sure nobody other than a player gets hit with a lacrosse ball - especially a child even wearing a helmet.
They did away with the ball boys years ago, I am sure it was a liability issue. Both of my sons had the opportunity to do this and ended up on TV. I am sure this contributes to them still being huge fans even though neither attended Hopkins.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 pm
There is one area where a portal acquisition must be explored - of course - goalie. Tales about Marcille differ pretty widely - from he's coming back to no he wants to get on with med school and/or life. If he is leaving - as I already pointed out - your goalie room is down to 2 and the sum total of D1 experience is 23 minutes. Then you have no choice - you need a body to fog the mirror at the very least. If he is returning - you know what you have and then you have to consider whether its good enough.

Other than that - this discussion of we need a left handed sniper to replace Degnon - actually plenty of options exist already - an LSM - ehh Kaufman and Deans should be fine - they probably cant pick up gbs like Mazzone but chances are no one in the portal can either.

Relax - you're adding 17 new faces already - you very well may get 1 or 2 more - you guys are going to lose your minds next year when the very last of the COVID babies leave and the big senior class skedaddles.
I think the issue is probably along the lines of:
The team picked up two huge contributors last year in the portal and the expectation or hope is that they can do it again this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”