Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

My takeaway from todays action is that we were one HM AA level offensive midfielder away from making it to memorial day.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:56 pm My takeaway from todays action is that we were one HM AA level offensive midfielder away from making it to memorial day.
I would say we were one HM AA goalie away from the Final Four. Just a few more saves in goal and ….

Anyway, the Blue Jays are possibly just a few players away from making a strong run to the Final Four.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:59 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:56 pm My takeaway from todays action is that we were one HM AA level offensive midfielder away from making it to memorial day.
I would say we were one HM AA goalie away from the Final Four. Just a few more saves in goal and ….

Anyway, the Blue Jays are possibly just a few players away from making a strong run to the Final Four.

DocBarrister
Doc I think the forum would probably side with you over me here.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's not as simple as being "one player away" at either position but these results should be encouraging, especially for what our defense was able to do despite a 53% to 33% goalie deficit. UVA got 57% out of their guy and gave up the same number of goals.

This is also exactly why I didn't think we had a favorable draw. I still would have rather been in Maryland or Penn State's spots. We were basically exactly even with PSU this year and they were maybe within one bad crease call from being in the title game. The margins are razor thin. Literally a ball bouncing one way or the other can decide seasons. But you've at least got to make the tournament to give yourself a chance.

What can you do. Ancient history now. You move on. It's good to be back in the conversation. I get the feeling the Jays are going to stay there for awhile.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Not going to argue details, but the “big 3” weren’t actually that much better than everyone else. I assumed they were. I think I was wrong.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:25 pm It's not as simple as being "one player away" at either position but these results should be encouraging, especially for what our defense was able to do despite a 53% to 33% goalie deficit. UVA got 57% out of their guy and gave up the same number of goals.

This is also exactly why I didn't think we had a favorable draw. I still would have rather been in Maryland or Penn State's spots. We were basically exactly even with PSU this year and they were maybe within one bad crease call from being in the title game. The margins are razor thin. Literally a ball bouncing one way or the other can decide seasons. But you've at least got to make the tournament to give yourself a chance.

What can you do. Ancient history now. You move on. It's good to be back in the conversation. I get the feeling the Jays are going to stay there for awhile.
False. PM has already added at a position the forum all americans deemed we were set at. He seems to think we need more.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:58 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:25 pm It's not as simple as being "one player away" at either position but these results should be encouraging, especially for what our defense was able to do despite a 53% to 33% goalie deficit. UVA got 57% out of their guy and gave up the same number of goals.

False. PM has already added at a position the forum all americans deemed we were set at. He seems to think we need more.
What's false?
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:09 pm Not going to argue details, but the “big 3” weren’t actually that much better than everyone else. I assumed they were. I think I was wrong.
Indeed...I absolutely agree.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:50 am
nyjay wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:09 pm Not going to argue details, but the “big 3” weren’t actually that much better than everyone else. I assumed they were. I think I was wrong.
Indeed...I absolutely agree.
PSU took Duke into OT and the Jays took PSU into OT.
I didn't think Hop played it's best game against ND, but still hung in there. ND could win it all Monday.
The Jays best game all season was the first UMD game I thought.
While the Jays have a lot returning on O plus some key recruits, they're losing their best D man and their top FO man.
The goalie situation is Schrödinger's Cat right now.
If they can plug these holes, there's cause for optimism.
laxalife

Post by laxalife »

Embarrassingly the brackets display outside the stadium has Hopkins as “John Hopkins”. Jeez

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/0d/13/2B2A47A6-EDBA-406D-9D91-077DEF1AD70A/IMG_0251.HEIC
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big ten conference titles won this academic year across all big ten sports
1 Hopkins Rutgers Minnesota Nebraska Iowa
2 Purdue Indiana Wisconsin
3 Ohio State Michigan State
4 Maryland Northwestern

Ohio State spent $225 million on athletics this year, had 36 teams and won 2 more conference titles than we did.

via @umichwd on twitternets.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This is why the "how can we possibly be better than a quarterfinal team??!?!" nonsense from select posters was just that...nonsense. You're out of your mind if you don't think the Jays could have beat that Duke team. ND and UVA were in a class of their own this year (though not by much). Jays were as good or better than everyone else. If you still can't see that *now*, then you just don't want to.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Random Musings:
Looks like Hopkins is getting a very high quality lacrosse player and person (If somebody already beat me to this apologies didn't recall seeing it):
https://www.salemnews.com/sports/2023-s ... 7e164.html

'06 - Penn State was also 4-1 in the lacrosse regular season and just demolished anyone in their path in wrestling I believe so that list of yours doesn't look right

OK - I'll bite - It's been many a year since I have given a thought to quantum mechanics but after reminding myself of some details I am having a little trouble with the Schrödinger's Cat reference - are you saying the Hopkins goalie is possibly alive and dead at the same time?

As I watched the final today I was puzzled by one thing - Naso won the clamp at the face-off most often but the Notre Dame face-off guy appeared to me as if he would pin his stick on top of Naso's thereby creating the scrums - I would have thought that was a hold - I certainly could see Dino the younger giving the refs the business after every draw. If that was the wrinkle that allowed Notre Dame to neutralize the two best face-off men in the country (or at least 2 of the very best) then the guy who thought of it deserves an extra beer.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:40 pm
OK - I'll bite - It's been many a year since I have given a thought to quantum mechanics but after reminding myself of some details I am having a little trouble with the Schrödinger's Cat reference - are you saying the Hopkins goalie is possibly alive and dead at the same time?
My apologies. I didn't mean for it to sound that extreme at all.
I meant it's unknown whether our goalie is returning or not.
You have to look in the box to find out, in this case, look at the fall roster to be sure one way or the other.
He's currently in a superposition of states. I meant it in a whimsical way.
Or if you accept Everett's interpretation of QM, in one universe he returns to play goal for Hopkins next year, in another universe, he doesn't.
It's currently unknown which universe we are in.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The Jays had 6 saves against ND, Duke had 10. Erase 4 goals from ND's total, and the Jays win 9-8 and advance to Philadelphia.
OK, that was somewhere between simplistic and ridiculous, but call it off-season dreaming already.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Northman are playing tonight,
don’t know about the broadcast situation,

Marquis, Spallina, Liam Matthews is another to keep an eye on.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:40 pm As I watched the final today I was puzzled by one thing - Naso won the clamp at the face-off most often but the Notre Dame face-off guy appeared to me as if he would pin his stick on top of Naso's thereby creating the scrums - I would have thought that was a hold - I certainly could see Dino the younger giving the refs the business after every draw. If that was the wrinkle that allowed Notre Dame to neutralize the two best face-off men in the country (or at least 2 of the very best) then the guy who thought of it deserves an extra beer.
The F/O rules remain a mystery to me. I really have no idea what's legal and what's "legal". I swear I think someone goes early on about half the draws I see, without it being called. I'm sure there's some method to the madness, but I don't see or understand it.

As a goalie Dad, was happy to see Helm play well. Was afraid that wasn't going to happen and didn't really want to watch the car wreck.

Nothing against ND or the Kavanaghs, and God forbid that I root for Duke, but the ND/Kavanagh hagiography was really just too much. I get that Carc's whole schtick is being over the top and enthusiastic, and in small doses, it's endearing. But as someone who watches a lot of lacrosse, it's just gotten hard to bear. QK is QK. Anish has a great voice and presence, but he just beats every story line to death. ESPN needs to find a producer or someone to try to reign things in a bit.

I said this yesterday, but oddly, this weekend has made me feel better about where the Jays are. We can play with the Dukes, NDs, UVas. They're not as far ahead as I thought. Onwards to 24.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Next year loyola, cuse, unc, osu, rutgers, (for them) maryland are going to come in angry after what were underwhelming seasons. PSU/Michigan have new confidence, the ivies are always in the mix and Notre Dame joins Duke and others that can now present recruits/parents and coaches with memorial day laurels.

Harder than ever to win next year.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

nyjay wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:01 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:40 pm As I watched the final today I was puzzled by one thing - Naso won the clamp at the face-off most often but the Notre Dame face-off guy appeared to me as if he would pin his stick on top of Naso's thereby creating the scrums - I would have thought that was a hold - I certainly could see Dino the younger giving the refs the business after every draw. If that was the wrinkle that allowed Notre Dame to neutralize the two best face-off men in the country (or at least 2 of the very best) then the guy who thought of it deserves an extra beer.
The F/O rules remain a mystery to me. I really have no idea what's legal and what's "legal". I swear I think someone goes early on about half the draws I see, without it being called. I'm sure there's some method to the madness, but I don't see or understand it.

As a goalie Dad, was happy to see Helm play well. Was afraid that wasn't going to happen and didn't really want to watch the car wreck.

Nothing against ND or the Kavanaghs, and God forbid that I root for Duke, but the ND/Kavanagh hagiography was really just too much. I get that Carc's whole schtick is being over the top and enthusiastic, and in small doses, it's endearing. But as someone who watches a lot of lacrosse, it's just gotten hard to bear. QK is QK. Anish has a great voice and presence, but he just beats every story line to death. ESPN needs to find a producer or someone to try to reign things in a bit.

I said this yesterday, but oddly, this weekend has made me feel better about where the Jays are. We can play with the Dukes, NDs, UVas. They're not as far ahead as I thought. Onwards to 24.
I think the hagiography is straight out of the TV approach to Olympic coverage, starting at least as far back as Olga Korbett (sp?). That "up close and personal" thing has spread to all TV sports. So instead of a radio-style play-by-play, you fill the time with other stuff. Like the Chaminade / St. Anthony's / Yorktown yesterday, and the MIAA all season. But it beats hair cuts and restaurants.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:50 pm Next year loyola, cuse, unc, osu, rutgers, (for them) maryland are going to come in angry after what were underwhelming seasons. PSU/Michigan have new confidence, the ivies are always in the mix and Notre Dame joins Duke and others that can now present recruits/parents and coaches with memorial day laurels.

Harder than ever to win next year.
Every year there are at least half a dozen teams that "are going to come in angry after what was an underwhelming season." Also, every year there are several teams with new/renewed confidence. Jays are one of those teams, and deservedly so - more so than many others.

At this moment in time, I think "Harder than ever to win next year" couldn't be further from the truth given relatively recent history for Jays and the rest of upper tier D1 lax.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”