The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ohmilax34

Re: The Hate Directed at the LGBTQ+

Post by ohmilax34 »

a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:13 pm
DMac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:59 pm Nope.
Your transgender athlete forces me to have a discussion with my daughter about why Christy, formerly Christopher (and still has all Christopher parts) about why SHE is playing on your team. Yes, this miniscule part of the population is jamming this down our throats.
This is reasonable. Yes, have an opinion because of the sports thing, where it affects you and your community. But I'm sure you understand that you can turn the tables and say that you are cramming your agenda down THEIR throats. All depends on your perspective. And who's holding all the power? It's certainly not the transgendered athletes.

But the Bud light thing? That's not a trans agenda. That's just another American selling beer. No agenda. Just a person. Unless, of course, you want to also say that alllllll those White guys pimping beer in commercials over the decades have been cramming the White agenda down folks, throats.
It seems that trans activists hold quite a bit of power. Have you listened to the JK Rowling Witch Trials podcast? People lost their jobs because they had the opinion that we should pump the brakes on letting trans women (biological men) into female spaces like bathrooms, prisons, domestic violence shelters. Didn't seem like an opinion worthy of cancellation to me, but those trans activists made it happen.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Your transgender athlete forces me to have a discussion with my daughter about why Christy, formerly Christopher (and still has all Christopher parts) about why SHE is playing on your team. Yes, this miniscule part of the population is jamming this down our throats.
The analysis, relying on government health surveys conducted from 2017 to 2020, estimated that 1.4 percent of 13- to 17-year-olds and 1.3 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds were transgender, compared with about 0.5 percent of all adults.
Granted, it's a tough situation for these few but that doesn't mean it has to be a tough situation for me.

I'm out...Denver-Northwestern
Try watching it, I suspect you will be quite surprised. I was.
It moved both my wife and me to shift our views.

I don't want to give away some of what creates the emotional impact, but let's just say it doesn't all follow the narrative you describe.

Truly, worth a watch.

Might even help with the sort of discussion one might have with a daughter. Or son.
Or the one they have with you...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri May 26, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm
This is reasonable. Yes, have an opinion because of the sports thing, where it affects you and your community. But I'm sure you understand that you can turn the tables and say that you are cramming your agenda down THEIR throats. All depends on your perspective. And who's holding all the power? It's certainly not the transgendered athletes.

But the Bud light thing? That's not a trans agenda. That's just another American selling beer. No agenda. Just a person. Unless, of course, you want to also say that alllllll those White guys pimping beer in commercials over the decades have been cramming the White agenda down folks, throats.
It seems that trans activists hold quite a bit of power. Have you listened to the JK Rowling Witch Trials podcast? People lost their jobs because they had the opinion that we should pump the brakes on letting trans women (biological men) into female spaces like bathrooms, prisons, domestic violence shelters. Didn't seem like an opinion worthy of cancellation to me, but those trans activists made it happen.
mmm, extremists do sometimes push things too far, too hard.
(haven't listened to the podcast, just taking your word for it)

Doesn't mean there isn't a compassionate middle ground.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:50 pm

Agreed
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sure. But that's just social and cultural power. And it's VERY limited. And I don't agree with what they did to Rowling, btw.

Look at the flip side, and the other activists using the Government to push their own agenda ....banning of books that dare mention anything gay. Laws the forbid teachers from doing or saying any number of things that MIGHT be gay, banning Drag Queens, etc.

And if folks think what happened to Rowling is wrong, where are they on what's happening to Bud Lite? It's hypocritical to complain about what extremists did to Rowling, while at the same time, cheer or say nothing about what extremists are doing with Bud.

The thing that everyone is noticing is that right this moment? LGBTQ citizens are getting a LITTLE power....after 200+ years of having none. ZIppo. No rights, including social, legal, and cultural rights. That's why all the folks that had 100% of the power are noticing.

Had the exact same reaction to black Americans, if you'll recall. Does the paraphrase 'why are all those black people making such a fuss, and such trouble"? That's all this is. Straight whites are used to controlling these folks, and it's beyond their understanding that LBGTQ have a voice, and are citizens just like everyone else.

MLK was considered to be an extremist by a whole lot of Americans that didn't live in the South.......it's all about perspective.
Last edited by a fan on Fri May 26, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:59 pm

Agreed
We'll find the middle ground. I think we can all agree that the pendulum has been over on the Straight White Guy side for, oh, a couple hundred years.

I think it's more than a little unreasonable to expect folks who FINALLY have a little power to stick the landing on the first try.

Overcorrections are sure to happen, etc.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... Both sides are boycotting (cancelling) / calling for boycotts. The trans community didn't start the war, they are reacting. Both sides are responsible for using some ugly tactics.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:07 pm

Agreed
We'll find the middle ground. I think we can all agree that the pendulum has been over on the Straight White Guy side for, oh, a couple hundred years.

I think it's more than a little unreasonable to expect folks who FINALLY have a little power to stick the landing on the first try.

you’d think we’d understand how PID loops work and apply them in a political/social space. Seems Jerome Powell knows how one works, so as to avoid large pendulum swings. But then again, we’re pissed how slow he wants things to move. I suppose we can’t win, and we just have to ‘embrace the suck’, as they say.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:49 am Companies that retreat from the values young people hold will suffer much more pain that those which embrace those values authentically. And the vast majority of young people have strong opinions on a set of values that make some in America, mostly much older, confused and afraid.

Ultimately, major consumer products companies and retailers that don't attract the mass of young customers and young employees will fail.

Sure, it's harder when your customer base has aged and the brand no longer resonates with younger customers ala AB. That's an uphill battle. But faltering, as they seem to have done, can cost much more than grinding it out. They may yet find their way forward.

The bigger challenge is what to do when a small minority of extremists decide they will threaten violence if the company doesn't retreat from what has worked really well in growing their company's customer base (Target).

Seriously, we're bothered by Pride displays? Going to be violent?

If Target doesn't regroup and hold the line against this 2023 'Brown Shirt' intimidation, the extremists will move company to company with such tactics.

And then, there's government intimidation, fascism in full bloom, DeSantis vs Disney.
Trying too hard to virtue signal risks exploding in your face.
Stay neutral, good humored & funny.
If you don't address a controversial issue, you don't have to take a stand.

AB should have stuck with the Clydesdales pulling the beer wagon to sell Bud,
then brought back Spuds McKenzie to sell Bud Light.
For subliminal messaging, they could have dressed Spuds up as a unicorn in a doggie costume,
wearing a pink tutu with a strap on horn on his head.
Maybe they could get him to air hump twerk like my bull terrier does
when I get the leash & he realizes it's dog park time.

Target should start staging free Drag Show concerts in their parking lots,
with AB providing free Bud Light, ...before it ages out & goes flat.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:16 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:07 pm

Agreed

you’d think we’d understand how PID loops work and apply them in a political/social space. Seems Jerome Powell knows how one works, so as to avoid large pendulum swings. But then again, we’re ticked how slow he wants things to move. I suppose we can’t win, and we just have to ‘embrace the suck’, as they say.
Part of being human....culture is ALWAYS changing. Pretty sure I can find some Aristocrats on the globe who are really annoyed that YouthAthletic
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:40 pm Trying too hard to virtue signal risks exploding in your face.
Bud has been doing it for decades. How hard does Bud, a Belgian company, shove American patriotism up consumer's *ss every time they get the chance?

Remember the 9/11 Bud ads? THAT is virtue signaling and pandering. I liked those ads, but there is ZERO question that was virtue signaling.

Virtue signaling is as old as advertising. That Bud Ad had NOTHING to do with beer, obviously.

old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:02 pm
old salt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:40 pm Trying too hard to virtue signal risks exploding in your face.
Bud has been doing it for decades. How hard does Bud, a Belgian company, shove American patriotism up consumer's *ss every time they get the chance?

Remember the 9/11 Bud ads? THAT is virtue signaling and pandering. I liked those ads, but there is ZERO question that was virtue signaling.

Virtue signaling is as old as advertising. That Bud Ad had NOTHING to do with beer, obviously.
You're evading my point. They weren't taking a controversial stand to fluff their ESG score.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:08 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:02 pm

You're evading my point. They weren't taking a controversial stand to fluff their ESG score.
I'm not evading your point at all.

Bud Lite has been "virtue signaling", as you put int, to the LGBTQ community for DECADES. Your team didn't say a word. So has every other beer, wine, and spirits company. Drag shows, too. NO ONE CARED. It's about money, and nothing else.

Now? Your team weaponizes this stuff (so does the other side, of course). So old guys like you and me...who would NEVER see this silly ad on YouTube (or wherever it was) in a million years....now know more about this Bud Lite ad

Name another Bud ad. You can't. Neither can I. This came to your attention because Republican nutjobs are playing you, taking a molehill of an AD that you would NEVER see normally, and turning it to a mountain.

Going after your vote, because you and your buds are convinced you can make the gays go away by voting. They want you to think your world is falling apart...so they take a nothing burger, and give you the clickbait you want. They want you outraged and clicking 24/7. They want people in flyover country thinking that there's a platoon of Draq Queens on their way to their homes, coming to take their kids and "turn them gay".

And again....yup, the extremists on the left play this game, too. I'm not evading doodly.

It works. Look at this thread. Why the heck ANYONE would are about this stuff is beyond my understanding. It's Jordan rules: you have money? Great, I want to sell stuff to you.

I STILL haven't seen the stupid Bud Ad.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:24 pmBud Lite has been "virtue signaling", as you put int, to the LGBTQ community for DECADES. Your team didn't say a word. So has every other beer, wine, and spirits company. Drag shows, too. NO ONE CARED. It's about money, and nothing else.
Targeted Bud Lite commercial examples please.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:57 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:10 am
DMac wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote
Mostly because I am not interested and don’t drink it. It’s college kid beer in my mind.
If it's the only beer at a place I'm not drinking any beer. Not a fussy beer drinker, there's something
rotten in Budweiser....awful stuff. I like mine smooth, always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CD3l8pI-fY

Not even a landing strip?
Nowhere, if that's all that's there I won't have any beer.
Been some decades since I've had a Bud.
Ummm, just not swinging at that pitch?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:18 am
DMac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:02 am I saw this ad yesterday and had to laugh.
Welcome back Clydesdale, welcome back
flag, welcome back Carharts and flannel.
Gotta get the dog back now.
Just too funny, and I'm not sure it's going
to work. Lotta those drinking Yuengling
now probably thinking it's a whole lot
better than what they were drinking before.
Yeah! Hooah! Missed parts of the target audience though - were was the AR toting guy and the woman with the anti-abortion poster?

Renaming French fries to freedom fries lasted about 15 minutes. The Dylan uproar will last about 16. Just like how everyone predicted the NFL and Nike would go out of business because of Kaepernick.

It’s remarkable how the people doing all this complaining over A-B doing a minor on-line ad that would’ve been seen by a trivial number of people had it not been for conservative media have the audacity to call others snowflakes. Sorry, but some LGBTQ+ people drink beer, too.
One can of beer with an image of a transgender individual…. But the media can’t tell people what to think….
Do they think?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:18 am
DMac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:02 am I saw this ad yesterday and had to laugh.
Welcome back Clydesdale, welcome back
flag, welcome back Carharts and flannel.
Gotta get the dog back now.
Just too funny, and I'm not sure it's going
to work. Lotta those drinking Yuengling
now probably thinking it's a whole lot
better than what they were drinking before.
Yeah! Hooah! Missed parts of the target audience though - were was the AR toting guy and the woman with the anti-abortion poster?

Renaming French fries to freedom fries lasted about 15 minutes. The Dylan uproar will last about 16. Just like how everyone predicted the NFL and Nike would go out of business because of Kaepernick.

It’s remarkable how the people doing all this complaining over A-B doing a minor on-line ad that would’ve been seen by a trivial number of people had it not been for conservative media have the audacity to call others snowflakes. Sorry, but some LGBTQ+ people drink beer, too.
The point of the snowflakes comment is that it seems perfectly okay to be offensive when it is you doing the offending, not so much when someone uses a word you find offensive though.
We'll see about the sixteen minutes. Personally I hope it lasts a bit longer as I find the whole thing quite entertaining at this point. As a dog lover I'm very much looking forward to the heartstring pulling dog coming back. The scrambling ad execs are going to have to give the groomers a call and get the hugely popular breed that appeals to the masses lookin' pretty for his (uh oh, perhaps better to not disclose gender here?) comeback. Meanwhile those greasing the squeaky wheel on the seed spreader might want to check the oil on the harvester.
Do some product placement for this movie coming over the summer which I am very very excited to see!

https://youtu.be/BzwOLKTbCUw
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:31 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:24 pmBud Lite has been "virtue signaling", as you put int, to the LGBTQ community for DECADES. Your team didn't say a word. So has every other beer, wine, and spirits company. Drag shows, too. NO ONE CARED. It's about money, and nothing else.
Targeted Bud Lite commercial examples please.
This wasn't a commercial. Never aired on TV.

But...here ya go.....

https://marketingtherainbow.info/case%2 ... /budweiser

Bud Light helped kick off Pride Month 2016 with this ad depicting a same-sex wedding. "Gay weddings, they're just like any wedding," actor Seth Rogen says after we see a gay couple cutting a wedding cake. Rogen, along with Amy Schumer, then runs through wedding cliches like: "cringe-worthy speeches," "the girl who's super ready to settle down," and "cake." It ends with Rogen declaring: "Bud Light proudly supports everyone's right to marry whoever they want."

The spot was promoted by Ellen DeGeneres, who was paid to share the video to her millions of followers on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. She said: "Looks like there's another party I'd vote for. #BudLightParty #LaughDancePartner". Remarkably, it only has less than half a million views even after four years, while regular posts by Ellen generate millions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vETmzQcc4A&t=2s
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m a spuds Mackenzie guy. That being said the Schmitts gay beer commercials are excellent!

https://youtu.be/hCOSejS1SSY
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:51 pm Just went to the store, got some nice Kaiser rolls and sub rolls (Price Chopper here makes outstand bread(s)), a lemon too.
Couldn't help but notice all the strategically placed, neatly stacked, and nicely displayed beer cases that are in places they normally aren't. Memeorial Day week-end and all, ya know, lotta beer will be sold. Not one Bud display, not one, anywhere. Must be they're not looking to up their profits with that brand this Memorial Day week-end. Maybe next year.
Grocers get paid for placement of product
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”