Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
PhanLax99

Re: Transfer portal

Post by PhanLax99 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:12 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:27 pm ANyone else surprised to see Lopinto in the portal?
I am, and Chepenik
I think both LoPinto and Chepenik are great examples of where most of college athletics is going with the one time transfer exception in regards to underclass athletes. Dirks comes to mind too.

LoPinto has shown that she is an All-American player that can produce at the highest levels. Highly recruited out of high school and has lived up to the hype. She has 2 years left and see thats Florida probably will not get over the hump. She put in her two years of work and helped drive the program forward. BC makes a ton of sense. Go to a program that has 6 straight FF appearances and join the talent there.

Chepenik is the other side of the coin. jumped on with a Clemson program that has only been around for 1 full season (announced 2 summers ago). Comes in to a brand new team and puts up decent stats. After a year, she has proven herself in the ACC so why not see if you can climb up to a top 10 program? In the future, it might not be Clemson losing their young talent, but I think the High Points, Mercers will lose their young studs (maybe after year 2) and that the Louisville, Pitt, Ohio State, Rutgers will lose theirs.

Just a new reality that coaches are going to have to deal with. You aren't just recruiting the future players but you are going to have to rerecruit your current players.
Last edited by PhanLax99 on Thu May 25, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:39 pm Ring chasing is certainly one of the possible reasons behind a transfer, but only one. Each kid and every situation is different, so speculation is just that.
This X a skrillion!
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

PhanLax99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:17 pm
Chepenik is the other side of the coin. Obviously lightly recruited out of HS if she was able to jump on with a Clemson program that has only been around for 1 full season (announced 2 summers ago).
Obviously?

I have heard some scuttlebutt about why Chepenik is transferring, but nothing solid enough that I would share. Although, I will say that she has been scrubbed from Clemson's online roster from last season which is a bush league move by Clemson staff and would seem to support some of the scuttlebutt.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:34 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:39 pm Ring chasing is certainly one of the possible reasons behind a transfer, but only one. Each kid and every situation is different, so speculation is just that.
This X a skrillion!
And I’ll emphasize that as well.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

user1020 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:03 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:27 pm ANyone else surprised to see Lopinto in the portal?
I am, and Chepenik
LoPinto chasing a ring is my guess. I don’t mean that negatively but I’m sure she’s transferring to a top 5 ACC school (no knowledge behind this)
Could be wrong but doesn't sound like it's ring chasing based on where it sounds like she's leaning. Not that they don't have a chance to win a ring, they just never have.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:40 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:17 pm
Chepenik is the other side of the coin. Obviously lightly recruited out of HS if she was able to jump on with a Clemson program that has only been around for 1 full season (announced 2 summers ago).
Obviously?

I have heard some scuttlebutt about why Chepenik is transferring, but nothing solid enough that I would share. Although, I will say that she has been scrubbed from Clemson's online roster from last season which is a bush league move by Clemson staff and would seem to support some of the scuttlebutt.

How is that bush league? I feel like that is pretty common practice if a player transfers, quits, or graduates. Interested in your prospective on this, I don’t really have an opinion on it.

Agreed everyone has their reasons for transferring and each situation is different! I just think we will see more “high profile” players looking to move up like we see in football, basketball, etc.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

PhanLax99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:01 pm
I feel like that is pretty common practice if a player transfers, quits, or graduates. I
In my experience, it is extremely rare for a player who plays in the spring to be removed from the roster listing history for that season.

Example - Olivia Dirks transferred from PSU to UNC after her 2021 season at PSU. She is still listed on the 2021 PSU roster.

It is standard for players who quit, transfer, etc. before the spring season is played to be removed from the roster listing for that season - that they did not play in.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:11 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:01 pm
I feel like that is pretty common practice if a player transfers, quits, or graduates. I
In my experience, it is extremely rare for a player who plays in the spring to be removed from the roster listing history for that season.

Example - Olivia Dirks transferred from PSU to UNC after her 2021 season at PSU. She is still listed on the 2021 PSU roster.

It is standard for players who quit, transfer, etc. before the spring season is played to be removed from the roster listing for that season - that they did not play in.

Appreciate it! I wonder if it’s more clerical error on their part. Having at least interacted with some of the staff, i truly don’t think they would do that on purpose. I doubt that the Clemson coaching staff has anything to do with the website administration. Looking at their Instagram and social media, it looks like Chepenik has been featured quite a bit and none has been deleted. Also looks like another attacker (quick look at their stats) has been scrubbed, Miya Scanlan. Weird though for sure!
user1020

Post by user1020 »

hmmm wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:01 pm
user1020 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:03 pm
I am, and Chepenik
LoPinto chasing a ring is my guess. I don’t mean that negatively but I’m sure she’s transferring to a top 5 ACC school (no knowledge behind this)
Could be wrong but doesn't sound like it's ring chasing based on where it sounds like she's leaning. Not that they don't have a chance to win a ring, they just never have.
Where is she leaning if I may ask? I made a speculation based on nothing but the quality of player she is, I should not have done that IMO or shared my speculation so early. I believe she has a GF at Loyola but also follows USC on Instagram
lacrossenut99

Post by lacrossenut99 »

Her sister I think is a 2024 USC commit
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Colorado defender Sophie Halus is heading to Maryland. Kind of ironic since she went to high school in Chapel Hill.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

This may have been mentioned already but the younger McPherson (Madison) is headed to Stanford as a grad transfer
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

jff97 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:13 pm Colorado defender Sophie Halus is heading to Maryland. Kind of ironic since she went to high school in Chapel Hill.
Halus is an outstanding player. Personifies the ‘modern’ defender’. Speed, athleticism. Excellent pick up for Maryland.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Some freshman taking advantage of the portal. Stud Stanford defender quickly found a home at Penn. Two from Richmond, one an All A10 talent, receiving interest from multiple Top 10 programs. I like to hear that players, go to a program and now have opportunities and options to move to where they can be happier. Good for the sport. Good luck
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Haven’t they always had that opportunity? As far as I know, there was never a sit out
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

laxfan22 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:07 am Haven’t they always had that opportunity? As far as I know, there was never a sit out
I’m pretty sure before your old school had to sign off, especially for an in conference move. North, from Duke to BC. Seems now mindset for younger players( who coach might not of let go) are free to move on their on terms. Granted I do not know all the details.
Women’s portal list seems more hidden than the men’s list. More leaks?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Prob more leaks. The extra year really increased the amount of transfers so I’d expect some normalizing very soon.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

It's more leaks. The portal isn't open to everyone, so reporters who have sources within the coaching ranks will ask them who's in the portal. In some sports players announce if they're entering the portal, but that doesn't really happen in lacrosse.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

jff97 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:08 pm It's more leaks. The portal isn't open to everyone, so reporters who have sources within the coaching ranks will ask them who's in the portal. In some sports players announce if they're entering the portal, but that doesn't really happen in lacrosse.
Bingo! I’m surprised we haven’t heard any of the grad transfers yet.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I have a question. How do kids go so quickly from entering the portal to going to a new team so quickly - how do they actually transfer academically? How are they getting admissions to accept these kids so quickly?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”