NCAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MarionBarry

Re: NCAC 2023

Post by MarionBarry »

Laxgopher69 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 am Thank you for the updates Old. I have been taking a much needed respite from the forums since that whirlwind day last Sunday (the old lady has gotten more than she bargained for this week with all the free time I've had, wink wink nudge nudge). I reenter to fold to share my gripes with the All-NCAC teams. While naturally selecting all-conference teams is difficult, full of politics, backroom deals, and handshake agreements, I personally, from an unbiased perspective, believe many Owls were placed too low or snubbed entirely. I don't wish to speak ill towards any of these fine young men; however, to begin with, David Chintala being deemed a 3rd team player seems outright criminal. The kid put up 52 and 11 and seemingly lost out to an Oberlin attack man who put up 53 and 3. Continuing on another freshman Owl Colin Mccarthy had a stellar season, even being out for some time, and was not included on any all conference team. While I gather that voting takes place before the conference tournament game, Thomas Nelson is an 2nd team ALL-AMERICAN and 2nd team in his conference which seems a bit odd. Beyond this, while stats don't lie, they sometimes mislead, I think Michael Bazzano was easily the second best d-mid in the conference this year, if not tied for first with Finn Murray, a case which is compelling. Beyond that the Owls close D unit played better the entire year than their stats entail. Jake Donaldson-Reid pretty much shut down Luke Fisher (ever heard of him) in the conference championship and was locking kids up all year long. Graham O'Brien was a dog all year, dog and should be higher placed as well. Finally, I think we can all agree Wooster as coaching staff of the year feels a tad silly. I, an owls fan, would argue for OWU perhaps as the coaching staff there was able to pull together a young team and improve greatly throughout the year, a trend that Wooster completely flipped, or even Denison who made great adjustments throughout the year.
Couple things to unpack here. I guess all the owls should be first team. Nelson is NOT a Second team all-American because that list is completely bogus and it's the USILA all Americans that actually have meaning. Chintala was the second best attakcman on his team. The oberlin kid is the real deal. I wouldnt s Jake Donaldson-Reid shut down luke fisher in the championship since fisher went 2,3 in the title game, far from shut down. O'Brian is solid and there are a handful better defenseman in the league. I think the all conference is pretty accurate
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:47 pm Agreed..... the Conference got it right.

Now for this weekend predictions ....

Denison over IWU 17-11. The Big Red is 2 for 2 against the Spartans in the Tournament and this year they make it 3 for 3. This one will be closer than the other 2 but like those games, Denison will show they're just more talented top to bottom.

Stevens over Kenyon 14-12. I hope I'm proved wrong but I think Stevens experience shows through and they prove to be too "Jersey Strong" for the Owls.

Now for the other side of the Denison pod ....

I have Lynchburg winning 14-13 in 3OT. Ok so I'm hoping for multiple OT frames so it makes the winners legs heavier the next day! Haha All kidding aside, I see this just about a "pick 'em" game but I think the Hornets are more battle tested down the stretch by their ODAC slate/tourney and their coaching staff will help them find a way to pull it out. In addition, I'm sure the Hornets want another crack at the Big Red to avenge the loss they suffered on this very field in 2017, when the Big Red doubled them up to earn a spot in that year's Final Four.
Wow …. What a GREAT day of lacrosse in Granville Ohio today! We were treated to 2 very good games from 4 teams that definitely “came to play”.

Denison wasn’t able to breath easy until late in the 4th Q as the IWU Titans (apologies for mis naming them above) were stout throughout the day. Congratulations to them on a great effort. But as I suspected, Denison’s quality finally won the day 15-10.

Lynchburg wins in over time 11-10. I didn’t get the 3 OTs I was hoping for but the game was as close as I expected. SJF should also be congratulated on playing a very good game. They had a chance in OT but couldn’t muster a good look.

Denison v Lynchburg tomorrow. Should be a good one!

Now for Kenyon, I didn’t see the game but appears Stevens was indeed too much for the Owls. Congratulations to Kenyon nonetheless for a fantastic season.

GO BIG RED
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:04 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:47 pm Agreed..... the Conference got it right.

Denison over IWU 17-11. The Big Red is 2 for 2 against the Spartans in the Tournament and this year they make it 3 for 3. This one will be closer than the other 2 but like those games, Denison will show they're just more talented top to bottom.

Stevens over Kenyon 14-12. I hope I'm proved wrong but I think Stevens experience shows through and they prove to be too "Jersey Strong" for the Owls.

I have Lynchburg winning 14-13 in 3OT. Ok so I'm hoping for multiple OT frames so it makes the winners legs heavier the next day! Haha All kidding aside, I see this just about a "pick 'em" game but I think the Hornets are more battle tested down the stretch by their ODAC slate/tourney and their coaching staff will help them find a way to pull it out. In addition, I'm sure the Hornets want another crack at the Big Red to avenge the loss they suffered on this very field in 2017, when the Big Red doubled them up to earn a spot in that year's Final Four.
Wow …. What a GREAT day of lacrosse in Granville Ohio today! We were treated to 2 very good games from 4 teams that definitely “came to play”.

Denison wasn’t able to breath easy until late in the 4th Q as the IWU Titans (apologies for mis naming them above) were stout throughout the day. Congratulations to them on a great effort. But as I suspected, Denison’s quality finally won the day 15-10.

Lynchburg wins in over time 11-10. I didn’t get the 3 OTs I was hoping for but the game was as close as I expected. SJF should also be congratulated on playing a very good game. They had a chance in OT but couldn’t muster a good look.

Now for Kenyon, I didn’t see the game but appears Stevens was indeed too much for the Owls. Congratulations to Kenyon nonetheless for a fantastic season.

GO BIG RED
Amended .... things are running together after all the lax but I think I need to walk back the comment that SJF could not get a good look in OT as I think they actually hit the pipe in OT?
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:04 pm

GO BIG RED
Battle tested and now bruised. Hats off to SJF on a great game today. 4th Q especially!
Don’t forget about 2012.. LYN was ranked #1 most of that year. Denison came to Shellenburger field in the playoffs and executed a slow down game perfectly.
You have a knowledgeable play by play. I look forward to a great game tomorrow! Maybe similar to last year’s Mustang classic result🍀
Good luck!
grelch

Post by grelch »

Denison is going to have to find their feet quickly. They've been dominated thru a qtr and a bit. Lynchburg's defense has been oppressive. denison is having a tough time getting shots off altogether.
Pinhead Larry

Post by Pinhead Larry »

Denison’s had some decent looks. Lyn goalie has had some nice saves but some of the shots at his feet have been no bueno. Defensively, the Big Red have to get more physical. This start has an eerily similar start to the York game from last year where York capitalized on every look and the red couldn’t buy a goal.
grelch

Post by grelch »

They've more or less been trading goals for the last qtr and a half. Problem is that Lynchburg are doing a good job controlling the clock with and without the ball. It's been hard for Denison to put together a run.
Pinhead Larry

Post by Pinhead Larry »

Yeah the start of the second half looked good. Denison got a couple right off the bat and looked to be rallying but a break goal for the hornets really took the wind out of their sails (the Denison attack man should’ve gone with the pole on the break but pulled up instead). After that some very poor shooting/shot selection kinda killed any comeback effort in the third. Saw a few shots that were very low percentage and one on the doorstep that shoulda been buried but can’t tell if the shot was missed or if the Lyn goalie pulled a rabbit out of a hat.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Congratulations to Lynchburg. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Congratulations also to the Denison Big Red as a whole but especially to the senior class. Though the season didn’t end as you would have liked, you can look back on 4 years of success and life long friendships made. All the best to the seniors. The rest of you, have a rest but then remember this moment in the off season and use it as motivation to hit the wall and the weight room as you get ready for fall ball!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Lynchburg played extremely well today and dictated the pace of play. Coach K is one of the very best in D3. Lynchburg had solid D and goal play all day never allowing Denison to get into any rhythm. Good luck next round
berryjames

Post by berryjames »

Lots of NCAC guys getting AA this year. None on the teams, but 9 honorable mentions is pretty good. No OWU guys, which I found interesting.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

berryjames wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:15 pm Lots of NCAC guys getting AA this year. None on the teams, but 9 honorable mentions is pretty good. No OWU guys, which I found interesting.
11 from NCAC. 5 from Denison, 3 from Kenyon, 2 from Oberlin, 1 from Wooster. Must be the most ever from the NCAC?
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

2018 NCAC had 12 AA including first team (Hamblett, OWU), second team (Pittroff, Denison), and third team (Leyden, OWU) plus 9 HM. All the AA's were from OWU and Denison, but those teams were loaded that year. If I remember correctly Peter Hamblett was also DPOY that year as SSDM.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:32 am 2018 NCAC had 12 AA including first team (Hamblett, OWU), second team (Pittroff, Denison), and third team (Leyden, OWU) plus 9 HM. All the AA's were from OWU and Denison, but those teams were loaded that year. If I remember correctly Peter Hamblett was also DPOY that year as SSDM.
Technically, Hamblett was Specialty Player of the Year for SSDM, while they also gave a Specialty Player of the Year for FOGO. A threat to score in transition, he had 14 goals that year.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Denison just broke ground on its new $5M+ lacrosse and soccer venue. No track, no football lines and a beautiful hillside setting. Honest question: Will this be the best D3 lacrosse facility in the country when it opens next spring?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtfC7X_P1jf ... ExYTkwZQ==
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:56 am Will this be the best D3 lacrosse facility in the country when it opens next spring?
I think it all depends on what other bells and whistles they will have at this facility
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:14 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:56 am Will this be the best D3 lacrosse facility in the country when it opens next spring?
I think it all depends on what other bells and whistles they will have at this facility
Agreed, will have to come with an upgraded score board with replay. Denison facilities are first rate - so I expect the project to be first class for the athletes. As far as spectator focused bells and whistles, I’m less certain. But regardless, a lacrosse only facility for the Spring Season will be an awesome addition to the already awesome Athletic Facilities at Denison.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Looks a lot like Roanoke: https://www.roanoke.edu/student_life/facilities. I would posit that the Cregger Center/Kerr Field at Roanoke are together the best setting, field, locker rooms and facilities in D3 lacrosse. They do share that field with the soccer teams however.
The presentation of the game at Salisbury is superior, with the scoreboard/replays, but I think it lacks a bit of the charm that other places have.
It certainly looks like Denison will give Roanoke a run for its money. Very nice!
noonan5

Post by noonan5 »

Mustang Stadium at Stevenson is also first rate spectator experience
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:36 pm
Looks a lot like Roanoke: https://www.roanoke.edu/student_life/facilities. I would posit that the Cregger Center/Kerr Field at Roanoke are together the best setting, field, locker rooms and facilities in D3 lacrosse. They do share that field with the soccer teams however.
The presentation of the game at Salisbury is superior, with the scoreboard/replays, but I think it lacks a bit of the charm that other places have.
It certainly looks like Denison will give Roanoke a run for its money. Very nice!
Wow, that is impressive. I have never been to Roanoke, but I'm sure the athletes appreciate being able to walk out the door of an amazing indoor facility right onto a beautiful field. I would give points to Denison for a prettier natural setting for the new field, but overall I'd vote for the Cregger/Kerr combo.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”