Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by Finster »

tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:54 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:13 pm Season will be regrettably over for Cuse but heading in right direction with positives clearly seen, Youngsters on offense were as good as advertised, have frontliners Hiltz, Spallina, Thomson and Birtwhistle but also saw youngsters Leo and Rhoa emerging and there is another good recruiting class coming in. Only significant loss on offense will be replacing the play of Kirst who was a productive and physical force . The offense was diversified and showed the ability to score against good defenses. Both fogos improved as season went on and displayed some ability to break upfield off wins rather than simply muck. There is a top flight fogo recruit coming in and that unit could actually become deep and a strength. . SSDM didn't raise as hoped so gonna need current depth to emerge or a reinforcement or two to be found in portal Goaltender Mark was brilliant for most part, despite that major upgrade Cuse gave up the same amount of goals as last in their acc games so gonna need to improve. Expect Mark to return. Dwan came along nicely but will need other youngsters to similarly develop and step in . Had predicted before season start that this team would go 10-5 with softer schedule but those two tough losses against unc and a much better than expected jhu really hurt .. still saw the potential starting to be realized in the 2h with wins over Princeton and UNC . Will expect this team to make more noise in acc next year and be in playoffs.
Let's not forget Simmons (and I'm not suggesting you did this deliberately). For instance, without Kirst/Simmons last week vs UVA, the score would have been quite embarrassing. The "youngsters" vs Cavs, unfortunately, didn't show up.

Beat me to it. Simmons and Kirst made a huge difference in last weeks game score.

I think the challenge for Gary next year is two-fold: assembling the right chemistry on offense (this kid from St A’s coming is the real deal, IMO same as Spallina), and leveling up the defense. Btw, I thought Will Mark only had one season to give? He has another? If I’m giving a team MVP this year, it’s to him. Mark should be first team AA

I’d like to see Cornell and Army back on the schedule.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

stupefied wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:13 pm Season will be regrettably over for Cuse but heading in right direction with positives clearly seen, Youngsters on offense were as good as advertised, have frontliners Hiltz, Spallina, Thomson and Birtwhistle but also saw youngsters Leo and Rhoa emerging and there is another good recruiting class coming in. Only significant loss on offense will be replacing the play of Kirst who was a productive and physical force . The offense was diversified and showed the ability to score against good defenses. Both fogos improved as season went on and displayed some ability to break upfield off wins rather than simply muck. There is a top flight fogo recruit coming in and that unit could actually become deep and a strength. . SSDM didn't raise as hoped so gonna need current depth to emerge or a reinforcement or two to be found in portal Goaltender Mark was brilliant for most part, despite that major upgrade Cuse gave up the same amount of goals as last in their acc games so gonna need to improve. Expect Mark to return. Dwan came along nicely but will need other youngsters to similarly develop and step in . Had predicted before season start that this team would go 10-5 with softer schedule but those two tough losses against unc and a much better than expected jhu really hurt .. still saw the potential starting to be realized in the 2h with wins over Princeton and UNC . Will expect this team to make more noise in acc next year and be in playoffs.
Let's not forget Simmons (and I'm not suggesting you did this deliberately). For instance, without Kirst/Simmons last week vs UVA, the score would have been quite embarrassing. The "youngsters" vs Cavs, unfortunately, didn't show up.
Did unintentionally overlook Simmons. Kirst physical style just stuck out to me but Cuse did receive similar production from Simmons that will also need to be replaced. Those two vet transfers along with Mark benefitted Cuse tremendously this year .Kirst and Simmons contributed much to the flow of offense after the departures of Curry and Dordevic while Mark's tending could arguably been worth five goals a game compared to last. ' Not a fan of portal but they were perfect transfers from many angles, expect Cuse to search portal again partly to keep up with the Jones in ACC that also do.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Finster wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:19 pm

Beat me to it. Simmons and Kirst made a huge difference in last weeks game score.

I think the challenge for Gary next year is two-fold: assembling the right chemistry on offense (this kid from St A’s coming is the real deal, IMO same as Spallina), and leveling up the defense. Btw, I thought Will Mark only had one season to give? He has another? If I’m giving a team MVP this year, it’s to him. Mark should be first team AA

Who is the kid from St A’s you are referring to? I don’t know of any recruits coming a St A’s next year or the year after.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:46 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:19 pm

Who is the kid from St A’s you are referring to? I don’t know of any recruits coming a St A’s next year or the year after.

Sorry. I’ve got mush for brains today. It’s Owen Duffy and I gather he’s going to UNC. For some reason I thought he was headed to Cuse.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:28 pm Syracuse D too slow on the slide.

DocBarrister
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:32 pm Syracuse D is just not physical enough. Need to get those sticks and bodies on Duke O players.

DocBarrister
+1

Syracuse D has had far too many break downs in communication and individual errors to be competitive in the ACC.

Played 6 Won 1 Lost 5
GA = 19, 14, 20, 15, 19, 18
GAA ACC = 17.5

The attack have been fun to watch develop thru 2023 but you are not going to win many games giving up 17.5 gpg

#40 & #19 have both been huge positives thru the Transfer Portal

someone similar to Alex Mazzone would be preferable for 2024
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

45wewantmore wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:31 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:28 pm Syracuse D too slow on the slide.

DocBarrister
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:32 pm Syracuse D is just not physical enough. Need to get those sticks and bodies on Duke O players.

DocBarrister
+1

Syracuse D has had far too many break downs in communication and individual errors to be competitive in the ACC.

Played 6 Won 1 Lost 5
GA = 19, 14, 20, 15, 19, 18
GAA ACC = 17.5

The attack have been fun to watch develop thru 2023 but you are not going to win many games giving up 17.5 gpg

#40 & #19 have both been huge positives thru the Transfer Portal

someone similar to Alex Mazzone would be preferable for 2024
They will get back the number one ranked defensive recruit from last year in Riley Figueiras. He was supposed to start this year but was injured preseason. Presumably that should help.

I think for SU fans it’s a question of if personnel or scheme is holding this defense back. Faceoff situation hasn’t helped much either.
August

Post by August »

Petros defenses hurt at Hopkins too. Very difficult to execute and really hard when Petro doesnt have "his" recruits. Syracuse spent a lot on this freshman class has little to offer incoming recruits. They cannot win with just 1 guy or even 4 guys. They need depth, balance, and a bench. They will improve and win more. Dwan and Figueras will anchor the D. Spallina and Thompson the attack. Leo and Rhoa the midfield. McCool? FOGO? Shorties? Pole? 2-line middies? It looks promising but an they beat UVA, Maryland, ND, Duke, Cornell (if added back to schedule!)... Plus no guarantee Petro doesnt leave for UNC or maybe lil Petros come to Cuse.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac needs to start the ‘24 thread. He deserves the honor. Let’s go!!
molo

Post by molo »

Espn reports that SU immortal Jim Brown has died at 87.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

molo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:41 pm Espn reports that SU immortal Jim Brown has died at 87.
Legend. RIP.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I believe Will Mark has another year,

21-22 @ LIU
23 @ SU
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:59 am I believe Will Mark has another year,

21-22 @ LIU
23 @ SU
He does. Expected to be the starting goaltender for SU next year.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

On Tuesday evening, it was revealed that the Orange have picked up commitments for next season from former Princeton Tiger midfielders Jake Stevens and Sam English, according to Inside Lacrosse’s Ty Xanders.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:17 pm
On Tuesday evening, it was revealed that the Orange have picked up commitments for next season from former Princeton Tiger midfielders Jake Stevens and Sam English, according to Inside Lacrosse’s Ty Xanders.
I'm hearing that 'Cuse might not be done mining for Ivy league grad transfers -- they are pushing hard to bring on board the Brown FOGO but he's got multiple offers so it's not clear where he'll end up.
lorin

Post by lorin »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:57 pm
I'm hearing that 'Cuse might not be done mining for Ivy league grad transfers -- they are pushing hard to bring on board the Brown FOGO but he's got multiple offers so it's not clear where he'll end up.
That should help you with your hard schedule you play.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I can’t imagine how actual West Point grass or in the institution no would respond just perusing a posters comments…fringe at best, restraining order from using any reference to their name more likely.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Come again???
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:53 am I can’t imagine how actual West Point grass or in the institution no would respond just perusing a posters comments…fringe at best, restraining order from using any reference to their name more likely.
Sleepless night or post 4:20?
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Finster

Post by Finster »

lorin wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:41 am
The Orfling wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:57 pm
That should help you with your hard schedule you play.

Sarcasm is a difficult quality to know for sure on social media. I assume Lorin was being facetious but who knows.

In any event, Syracuse looks to be top-10 now with these additions. These two kids are really really good. Memorial Day ‘24 hunting. Let’s go.
Last edited by Finster on Thu May 25, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”