Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
user1020

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by user1020 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:51 am
TNLAX wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:12 am Where is Deemer Class hiding out? He left his job as assistant at USC a year or so ago . Maybe this job is intriguing to him?
No offense to Deemer here, but the fact that the first person you can think of is a former assistant coach that has been out of the game for 2 years is borderline insulting to the womens coaches in the game. Ohio State is a top 5 paying job in women’s lacrosse. They should have their pick of rising assistants or established head coaches. This reminds me of the laxallstars tweet from a few year ago that listed a random male volunteer for BC as a candidate for the Clemson job.

I could see OSU looking at the following (figuring the Liza Kelly’s and Shelley Klaes of the world say no) :

Head Coach
Gina Oliver from Cinci (alum/HOF)
Meredith Black from Marquette
Munday from USC (actual head coach)
Joe Spallina (doubt he will leave the Island)
Michelle Tumolo (does she capitalize on the successful season)
Allison Kwolek (not enough fanfare for her job at Clemson)

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Lauri Kenis (home run hire in my opinion)
Phil Barnes

I’m sure there is a dark horse name out there that I am forgetting but this is the type of name they will get.
I don’t think Kwolek would leave Clemson after one season of coaching, but you never know. I also know she is battling cancer and has a daughter, so between doctors and school I’m sure it would be hard to move again after 2 years or so
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Erica LaGrow Bamford at Yale ?

Had some bumps along the way but has certainly made improvements there. Her recruiting choices would change dramatically.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

tothedraw wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:39 pm Erica LaGrow Bamford at Yale ?

Had some bumps along the way but has certainly made improvements there. Her recruiting choices would change dramatically.
She is 51-50 since she took over in 2015.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

user1020 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:27 pm
TNLAX wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:12 am Where is Deemer Class hiding out? He left his job as assistant at USC a year or so ago . Maybe this job is intriguing to him?
No offense to Deemer here, but the fact that the first person you can think of is a former assistant coach that has been out of the game for 2 years is borderline insulting to the womens coaches in the game. Ohio State is a top 5 paying job in women’s lacrosse. They should have their pick of rising assistants or established head coaches. This reminds me of the laxallstars tweet from a few year ago that listed a random male volunteer for BC as a candidate for the Clemson job.

I could see OSU looking at the following (figuring the Liza Kelly’s and Shelley Klaes of the world say no) :

Head Coach

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Phil Barnes

I’m sure there is a dark horse name out there that I am forgetting but this is the type of name they will get.
I don’t think Kwolek would leave Clemson after one season of coaching, but you never know. I also know she is battling cancer and has a daughter, so between doctors and school I’m sure it would be hard to move again after 2 years or so
Kwoleck leave Clemson for osu?? In what universe is osu a better lacrosse opportunity than Clemson??

Osu—Columbus. Bad weather. Big 10 which isn’t as good a conference as the ACC. A tradition of lacrosse mediocrity.

Clemson is an acc school and is giving kwolek huge support, a dedicated facility and a huge push to succeed. In spartenburg, which not only is a beautiful campus but also has great weather—and is in the south which is a big draw versus Ohio.

I predict clemson will be a perennial top 20 program starting in 3-4 years.

I would not say the same thing of OSU….
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:15 pm

Head Coach

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Phil Barnes

Kwoleck leave Clemson for osu?? In what universe is osu a better lacrosse opportunity than Clemson??

Osu—Columbus. Bad weather. Big 10 which isn’t as good a conference as the ACC. A tradition of lacrosse mediocrity.

Clemson is an acc school and is giving kwolek huge support, a dedicated facility and a huge push to succeed. In spartenburg, which not only is a beautiful campus but also has great weather—and is in the south which is a big draw versus Ohio.

Clemson is nowhere near Spartanburg...

Joe
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Head Coach

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Phil Barnes

There is a better chance of Repubs and Dems agreeing on….well anything. She ain’t leaving Clemson. See Clemson softball for what happens when Clemson adds new sports.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:46 pm

Head Coach

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Phil Barnes

Joe
Well it’s like 50 miles. 😀
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Deemer is a very talented and creative coach who is passionate about women’s lacrosse. He is a proven winner who has created a successful and profitable coaching business that produces some of the most respected showcases in the industry. He not only has the organizational skills to run a college program, but he is also a master at social media and video production. He would be a stellar recruiter for OSU.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:32 am
Deemer is a very talented and creative coach who is passionate about women’s lacrosse. He is a proven winner who has created a successful and profitable coaching business that produces some of the most respected showcases in the industry. He not only has the organizational skills to run a college program, but he is also a master at social media and video production. He would be a stellar recruiter for OSU.
Maybe Deemer would be the “dark horse” PhanLax99 is looking for :)
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:46 pm

Head Coach

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Phil Barnes

Joe
And, if you're going to choose a random city in Upstate SC, Greenville is a lot closer to Clemson than Spartanburg.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

I agree with you that Deemer is very talented and creative as a coach. His passion is not in question. Proven winner is debatable, obviously as a player he did some great things at Duke. As a coach:

At USC after replacing Devon Wills
Year 1: Pac-12 Champions, First round loss in NCAA tournament
Year 2: COVID
Year 3: Lost in Semi-Finals of Pac 12 Tournament

I just don't think that resume leads to a Big 10 job that pays 200k+ and has sleeping giant potential. Again, if you are going to go the assistant route, you do what Michigan did with Conry (mens side) and go take a stud assistant from Maryland. You see if Devon Wills is sick of the Ivy League yet. Just think OSU is going to look to hit a home run with their salary pool.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Head Coach

Assistants
Dana Dobbie
Phil Barnes

I stand corrected on throwing Kwolek out for the OSU job. Thought about it more as getting someone that would make a splash. Big10 money in the future is going to be much different than the ACC money. But I agree- I doubt Kwolek will leave Clemson for any job after looking at all things considered.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:41 pm
tothedraw wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:39 pm Erica LaGrow Bamford at Yale ?

She is 51-50 since she took over in 2015.
I think 22 of those wins have been in that last two seasons after taking over a team solidly in the bottom of the Ivy's and weathering COVID at an Ivy. Lost by one to Penn in ILT for an NCAA berth.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

PhanLax99 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 am
I agree with you that Deemer is very talented and creative as a coach. His passion is not in question. Proven winner is debatable, obviously as a player he did some great things at Duke. As a coach:

I just don't think that resume leads to a Big 10 job that pays 200k+ and has sleeping giant potential. Again, if you are going to go the assistant route, you do what Michigan did with Conry (mens side) and go take a stud assistant from Maryland. You see if Devon Wills is sick of the Ivy League yet. Just think OSU is going to look to hit a home run with their salary pool.
I agree that Deemer is an unlikely frontrunner, but if I were OSU, I would interview him to get a perspective that will be different from the other candidates you mention.

We should also clarify that Year 2 was more of a story than just "COVID." USC was 6-0 with wins over #25 Stanford, #9 Michigan, and #15 Boston College before the season was cancelled. During his tenure as an assistant, USC went 31-11. Deemer won two national championships at Duke and as a senior he was named one of the Blue Devils’ two ACC Senior Scholar-Athletes of the Year. He was a three-time All American and four-time academic All ACC. I don't want to get into a debate about the definition of "proven winner," but 99% of people in lacrosse would gladly trade resumes with Deemer.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 am

I agree that Deemer is an unlikely frontrunner, but if I were OSU, I would interview him to get a perspective that will be different from the other candidates you mention.

We should also clarify that Year 2 was more of a story than just "COVID." USC was 6-0 with wins over #25 Stanford, #9 Michigan, and #15 Boston College before the season was cancelled. During his tenure as an assistant, USC went 31-11. Deemer won two national championships at Duke and as a senior he was named one of the Blue Devils’ two ACC Senior Scholar-Athletes of the Year. He was a three-time All American and four-time academic All ACC. I don't want to get into a debate about the definition of "proven winner," but 99% of people in lacrosse would gladly trade resumes with Deemer.
And he played for four years under a Coach and staff renowned for player development. If I'm the OSU AD, I am looking at Deemer's resume and scheduling an interview.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I appreciate all the outside the box thinking here.

But are we really suggesting The Ohio State University AD hire a 30 something man with no head coaching experience, who is currently coaching at the high school level, to be the next head coach of his Big Ten women’s lacrosse program? What kind of message, among others, does that send to all the female assistants/female mid major head coaches about their ability to climb the ladder? I thought athletics was the great meritocracy?

I am sure Deemer is great (actually I am not sure, just saying that to be diplomatic) but there are dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualifier and deserving of this job.

Remember the OSU AD let go of Amy for not meeting expectations. Sounds to me like he is taking it seriously there.

If I were him, I would drive to West Point NY or High Point NC and not leave until the head coach there signs on the dotted line. But what do I know?
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

If we’re still talking about Deemer Class, why aren’t we talking about Sam Apuzzo? Generally considered to be one of the best minds in the sport. Has done it all at every level. Her ability to construct teams in AU is significant.

It’s not that I think Class is a bad suggestion but I think it’s ridiculous given the female talent out there. I have no problem with male coaches- Tim McCormack is one of the brightest young coaches in the game, but he put in a lot of time before moving into a HC role.

Another wrinkle in the OSU job is that they’ve essentially fired their last 2 coaches. That’s pretty rare in women’s lacrosse and I think makes it less appealing for an established HC with school aged kids. There aren’t many other high level lax jobs in that area so if you do get ousted, you’re moving.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm I appreciate all the outside the box thinking here.

But are we really suggesting The Ohio State University AD hire a 30 something man with no head coaching experience, who is currently coaching at the high school level, to be the next head coach of his Big Ten women’s lacrosse program? What kind of message, among others, does that send to all the female assistants/female mid major head coaches about their ability to climb the ladder? I thought athletics was the great meritocracy?

I am sure Deemer is great (actually I am not sure, just saying that to be diplomatic) but there are dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualifier and deserving of this job.

Remember the OSU AD let go of Amy for not meeting expectations. Sounds to me like he is taking it seriously there.

If I were him, I would drive to West Point NY or High Point NC and not leave until the head coach there signs on the dotted line. But what do I know?
Just don’t think there are “dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualified and deserving of this job”

There just are not that many really good college coaches out there IMHO.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

hsllax wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:55 pm If we’re still talking about Deemer Class, why aren’t we talking about Sam Apuzzo? Generally considered to be one of the best minds in the sport. Has done it all at every level. Her ability to construct teams in AU is significant.

It’s not that I think Class is a bad suggestion but I think it’s ridiculous given the female talent out there. I have no problem with male coaches- Tim McCormack is one of the brightest young coaches in the game, but he put in a lot of time before moving into a HC role.

Another wrinkle in the OSU job is that they’ve essentially fired their last 2 coaches. That’s pretty rare in women’s lacrosse and I think makes it less appealing for an established HC with school aged kids. There aren’t many other high level lax jobs in that area so if you do get ousted, you’re moving.
I am 100% with you on Sam Apuzzo. I had mentioned her earlier when the Brown job opened up. I think she would be terrific. A recruit would be foolish not to take an official to go spend time with her in Columbus (or Providence).
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

TNLAX wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:31 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm I appreciate all the outside the box thinking here.

Just don’t think there are “dozens of other female coaches out there way more qualified and deserving of this job”

There just are not that many really good college coaches out there IMHO.
I am sorry you feel that way. During my tenure in coaching, I worked with a number of coaches still in the game who were terrific and deserving of this opportunity. To see it go to a male with no head coaching experience who isn’t even coaching collegiately at the moment would be disappointing. If Ohio State fired Nick Myers, would they hire a female high school coach with no head coaching experience? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. So why don’t we think of hiring Deemer Class as being ridiculous?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”