CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BigMoose9

Re: CNU 2023

Post by BigMoose9 »

ClaudeHenrySmoott wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:22 pm CNU fans,

Please don’t pay attention to this loud mouth. He forgets you beat RIT earlier this year and played better each time you played my Gulls this year.

Very promising program and staff. Be proud of your squad. They get better each year.
They also beat Dickinson twice, w&l, and Lynchburg who were all in the elite 8 as well as Gettysburg who was top 10 the whole season. 3 losses to Salisbury is tough. If it was on a neutral sight I think these games could go a lot different. Md lacrosse is known for being a clown on this forum. CNU is a top 4 program and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations to the CNU lacrosse community on a fine season. Beating Salisbury at Salisbury in the NCAAs is an especially tall task, while making it to the semis was a very good accomplishment. I really enjoyed watching CNU in person earlier this season.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Fan without a dog in the fight here. Unfortunately for CNU, Sunday's game was lost on Saturday. The Sea Gulls didn't have an easy game, but CNU had to expend a lot more energy to subdue Dickinson. I have seen a lot of lacrosse, but not many games more frantic than CNU vs Dickinson. Bouncing back from that with one nights rest is a tall order. Congrats on a great season.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:30 pm Fan without a dog in the fight here. Unfortunately for CNU, Sunday's game was lost on Saturday. The Sea Gulls didn't have an easy game, but CNU had to expend a lot more energy to subdue Dickinson. I have seen a lot of lacrosse, but not many games more frantic than CNU vs Dickinson. Bouncing back from that with one nights rest is a tall order. Congrats on a great season.
This is exactly why I hate the new Covid format
Let the kids go back to Wednesday - Saturday games
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

The timing of the pods coincidentally lined up with COVID but the pods were approved by ncaa years before. The ncaa needs to fix this. Maybe a Friday/Sunday format is better.

When the D1 women get the D3 kicked out of MDW the games could go back wed/sat and finals go past MDW
ergit

Post by ergit »

Quit whining. Everyone plays under the same rules and conditions. Just get better…
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:30 pm Fan without a dog in the fight here. Unfortunately for CNU, Sunday's game was lost on Saturday. The Sea Gulls didn't have an easy game, but CNU had to expend a lot more energy to subdue Dickinson. I have seen a lot of lacrosse, but not many games more frantic than CNU vs Dickinson. Bouncing back from that with one nights rest is a tall order. Congrats on a great season.
Bad take...They lost to them 2 times during the season on full rest. Salisbury is a better team.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

ergit wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:54 pm Quit whining. Everyone plays under the same rules and conditions. Just get better…
Yes everyone plays under the same rules, but lopsided matchups on the first day can lead to a bit of unfairness.

For example, 2 years ago Salisbury hosted the elite 8. One matchup was a top 10 battle between Lynchburg(who beat Salisbury) and CNU. That game went to OT and both teams were absolutely gassed. The other matchup was Salisbury and the mighty Illinois Wesleyan… That game was over by the 2nd quarter and not a single Salisbury starter touched the field in the second half. Giving them much fresher legs. On Sunday, CNU bursted out to a quick 5-2 lead before immediately gassing out and having multiple guys cramp. Salisbury dominated the rest of the game and won fairly easy. Would Salisbury still win that game if both teams were fresh? Probably, but you can’t sit here and say “just get better” when one team is playing an average at best Midwest team the day before playing the winner of a top 10 OT game.

I don’t see why the NCAA won’t go back to the Wednesday/Saturday model. At least use the Friday/Sunday model. The games more fun when teams are close to 100%
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:49 pm
ergit wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:54 pm Quit whining. Everyone plays under the same rules and conditions. Just get better…
Yes everyone plays under the same rules, but lopsided matchups on the first day can lead to a bit of unfairness.

For example, 2 years ago Salisbury hosted the elite 8. One matchup was a top 10 battle between Lynchburg(who beat Salisbury) and CNU. That game went to OT and both teams were absolutely gassed. The other matchup was Salisbury and the mighty Illinois Wesleyan… That game was over by the 2nd quarter and not a single Salisbury starter touched the field in the second half. Giving them much fresher legs. On Sunday, CNU bursted out to a quick 5-2 lead before immediately gassing out and having multiple guys cramp. Salisbury dominated the rest of the game and won fairly easy. Would Salisbury still win that game if both teams were fresh? Probably, but you can’t sit here and say “just get better” when one team is playing an average at best Midwest team the day before playing the winner of a top 10 OT game.

I don’t see why the NCAA won’t go back to the Wednesday/Saturday model. At least use the Friday/Sunday model. The games more fun when teams are close to 100%
It is fair. If CNU beat Salisbury in the regular season twice then they host that pod and play W&L, not Salisbury. If you want the advantage then stop whining and start winning.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Actually, Salisbury did have some starters playing in the 2nd half against Illinois Wesleyan but either way, we all agree the game was over 5 minutes into the game. CNU may have been gassed but they also play In the Mustang Classic, so they did have a feeling for what back to back games may look/feel like.
That they ran out of energy is understandable but all things considered, Salisbury obliterated them after spotting CNU a 5 2 lead. I believe at one point it was 17 6. That's not just tired legs, that's getting absolutely destroyed all the way around and quite frankly, CNU just seems to struggle more often than not against Salisbury as they have only ever beaten them twice.
Recall CNU also held a 9 2 lead in the NCAAs a few years prior and Salisbury came back to beat them. That said, CNU is on the rise but they have a severe mental block against Salisbury. Tired legs or not, Salisbury matches up well and adjusts to the schemes CNU draws up. Best of luck going forward. I'm a Gulls guy but I've come down to your place many times to watch CNU, love the campus, the people and really enjoy what your lacrosse team is doing.
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

I don’t believe CNU was gassed Sunday, they played hard until the final whistle.

I think they should move the final 4 to the same weekend as the championship. They could play Friday- Sunday with the D2 teams and have D1 on Saturday-Monday, how fun would that be to have everyone there for the full weekend! Keep the first weekend as is and have the elite 8 at the higher seeds campus the Saturday before the championship weekend. Less travel to the elite 8 would save the money for the championship weekend.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxisback wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:33 pm I don’t believe CNU was gassed Sunday, they played hard until the final whistle.

I think they should move the final 4 to the same weekend as the championship. They could play Friday- Sunday with the D2 teams and have D1 on Saturday-Monday, how fun would that be to have everyone there for the full weekend! Keep the first weekend as is and have the elite 8 at the higher seeds campus the Saturday before the championship weekend. Less travel to the elite 8 would save the money for the championship weekend.
Adding an extra day of NFL stadium rental and hotels, travel, and meals for two teams would likely cost way more.

D3 is barely holding onto remaining a part of championship weekend, let alone adding to it. Declining attendance isn’t helping.
ClaudeHenrySmoott

Post by ClaudeHenrySmoott »

Let’s hope a place like Philly will reignite Championship weekend. Although I think getting Syracuse back into the final four is what will really get it back. No fan base travels better.
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

Just to make one final point regarding the Salisbury/NCAA format discussion. I don't love the format but it is what it is and CNU benefitted from it in the first weekend getting a lay-up game and a few extra hours of rest, they did last year as well. Sure it might have played a factor but you can't complain about it when it's the reality of the tournament nowadays.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ClaudeHenrySmoott wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:10 am Let’s hope a place like Philly will reignite Championship weekend. Although I think getting Syracuse back into the final four is what will really get it back. No fan base travels better.
Philly/ Baltimore is the best way to get final 4 weekend pumped. Just look at annapolis last weekend. Stadium was packed. I wish they would get the final 4 back to college stadiums instead of nfl stadiums. 20k fans in annapolis if a full house. 20 k fans in foxboro, or the vet, looks empty.

And it doesn’t matter how great cuse travels. Philly/Baltimore/Annapolis is the heart of lax. I mean that close proximity for the number of college teams, that area is just about the center and the most fans can easily travel to those locations
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:33 am
ClaudeHenrySmoott wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:10 am Let’s hope a place like Philly will reignite Championship weekend. Although I think getting Syracuse back into the final four is what will really get it back. No fan base travels better.
Philly/ Baltimore is the best way to get final 4 weekend pumped. Just look at annapolis last weekend. Stadium was packed. I wish they would get the final 4 back to college stadiums instead of nfl stadiums. 20k fans in annapolis if a full house. 20 k fans in foxboro, or the vet, looks empty.

And it doesn’t matter how great cuse travels. Philly/Baltimore/Annapolis is the heart of lax. I mean that close proximity for the number of college teams, that area is just about the center and the most fans can easily travel to those locations
Memorial Day weekend is a tough sell for the greater Philly lacrosse community though, unless you’re directly connected to a team playing in it. The shore is calling and the Main Line lax parents usually have answered. Worth streaming to watch someone else’s school/kid play, but not worth missing the unofficial start of summer at the shore to attend.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Down the shore hun
Bananas4Lax3

Post by Bananas4Lax3 »

CNU with 10 USILA All Americans in total, thats two more than Salisbury I believe. How is that CNU consistently gets more All Americans than Salisbury but cant manage to ever beat them...? Dickinson also had half as many AAs as CNU did and almost beat us twice!
Is this is a coaching issue or is CNU getting too much love?
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Bananas4Lax3 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:26 pm CNU with 10 USILA All Americans in total, thats two more than Salisbury I believe. How is that CNU consistently gets more All Americans than Salisbury but cant manage to ever beat them...? Dickinson also had half as many AAs as CNU did and almost beat us twice!
CNU does not “consistently” get more all Americans than Salisbury. Maybe if Dickinson had actually won those games they would have more than half. The team has been to three straight elite 8’s and two final fours in past 3 years, I don’t think it has to do with a coaching issue or getting too much love. They are right there every year but have not been able to get over that hump to get to MDW quite yet. I believe the team is returning 8 of those 10 AA’s next year so let’s see if they can final take that next step with another loaded squad.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Bananas4Lax3 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:26 pm CNU with 10 USILA All Americans in total, thats two more than Salisbury I believe. How is that CNU consistently gets more All Americans than Salisbury but cant manage to ever beat them...? Dickinson also had half as many AAs as CNU did and almost beat us twice!
Before last year, CNU had 5 All-Americans in all of their programs history. What do you mean they consistently get more than Salisbury lol?

CNU got a ton of All-Americans this year because they are very top heavy. They don’t have very much depth so their best players are very very good lacrosse players who make their team what it is and are AA worthy, but then there’s a big drop off.

Mikey Thompson is 54-4 against teams not named Salisbury over the last 4 years. Seeing where he has brought this program to, Saying “CNU” and “Coaching Issue” is a horrible take.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”