Best Venues For The Quarterfinals

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Best Venues For The Quarterfinals

Post by gymman1031 »

Considering that Navy Stadium has had several of the biggest crowds for the Quarterfinals in the not-too-distant past, the venue itself, the location, and the fun town, I think that is the finest venue. And there aren't many close-seconds.
August

Re: Best Venues For The Quarterfinals

Post by August »

Albany had about 2,000 fans per game. The staff was rude and unhelpful. Parking to tailgating coordination was not good. The town is miserable. The stadium was great- except its in Albany. Terrible place for a regional game. Albany could be one of the worst places to visit ever- as the capital of NY, a great state, it does not reflect the people of NY or their state.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:58 pm Considering that Navy Stadium has had several of the biggest crowds for the Quarterfinals in the not-too-distant past, the venue itself, the location, and the fun town, I think that is the finest venue. And there aren't many close-seconds.
Apparently BWI was out of rental cars on Sat, literally - wife went up for a family engagement in the Balt area. Preakness weekend. Sure you’ve got Dulles and Reagan but that’s the only challenge w the region this prior weekend.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

August wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:14 pm Albany had about 2,000 fans per game. The staff was rude and unhelpful. Parking to tailgating coordination was not good. The town is miserable. The stadium was great- except its in Albany. Terrible place for a regional game. Albany could be one of the worst places to visit ever- as the capital of NY, a great state, it does not reflect the people of NY or their state.
Have you been to Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghamton, Elmira or pretty much anything else west of the Hudson River not called Finger Lakes, Placid, Saranac or Adirondack Mtns? Or perhaps much of the towns that nut hug the LIE?
See Martin, Malcolm
molo

Post by molo »

My vote goes to Navy with the earring to get there early. I took me almost as long to get from the Rowe Blvd. exit into the parking lot as it took to get from Baltimore to the exit. Once you get there, the stadium and facilities are nice.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

molo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:52 pm My vote goes to Navy with the earring to get there early. I took me almost as long to get from the Rowe Blvd. exit into the parking lot as it took to get from Baltimore to the exit. Once you get there, the stadium and facilities are nice.
As I drove past the line of cars on the side of the road waiting to exit I was very curious why everyone was getting off on Rowe instead of just going one more exit and coming in the back way.
molo

Post by molo »

Should have read “warning.”
Finster

Post by Finster »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:58 pm Considering that Navy Stadium has had several of the biggest crowds for the Quarterfinals in the not-too-distant past, the venue itself, the location, and the fun town, I think that is the finest venue. And there aren't many close-seconds.

Would agree. I’d think Towson wouldn’t be the worst either.

‘Baltimore/Annapolis’ benefits from centrality for many lacrosse fans.
molo

Post by molo »

I certainly wouldn’t object to having the QFs effectively in my back yard.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:19 pm I certainly wouldn’t object to having the QFs effectively in my back yard.
So cookout at Molo’s!

I’ll bring the 151 and some chicken wings
See Martin, Malcolm
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Hofstra this way I can go watch. Lol
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Towson is not the best, but adequate for the quarters. Great location, stadium holds 11k, parking / tailgating is good. Will draw 8k by accident. Hopkins down the street is too small, no parking, not spacious.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

August wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:14 pm Albany had about 2,000 fans per game. The staff was rude and unhelpful. Parking to tailgating coordination was not good. The town is miserable. The stadium was great- except its in Albany. Terrible place for a regional game. Albany could be one of the worst places to visit ever- as the capital of NY, a great state, it does not reflect the people of NY or their state.
Tend to agree. The weather didn't help. The staff was disorganized and indifferent. Ticketing process was a joke...purchasing online didn't work and box office didn't open until 10:45! Parking was OK, probably due to low turn out. Nothing much locally outside of campus (similar to both Delaware and Hofstra, IMO). Otherwise, stadium is nice despite football lines/numbers.

If they want a northern venue, bring Qtrs back to Ithaca.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Annapolis handles Navy football so traffic shouldn't be an issue but you have to know the backdoors. There are 3 exits off Rt 50 that will get you there. Also lots of room for tailgating. I also liked that the Navy staff got rid of the football lines and had very clear lacrosse lines.
gmen1986

Post by gmen1986 »

would love to see them start testing locations in the south, west and midwest more.cities that come to mind.. charlotte, louisville, SLC, minneapolis etc
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gmen1986 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 pm would love to see them start testing locations in the south, west and midwest more.cities that come to mind.. charlotte, louisville, SLC, minneapolis etc
Atlanta. Best airport of them all.
See Martin, Malcolm
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

As a Maryland follower I have been to many quarterfinals sites and none that I can think of are even close to Annapolis. In fact what a great Final Four Venue the Naval Marine Corps Stadium would be. Yes entrance can be a problem but parking isn't and just a few minutes away the Center City of Annapolis provides so many great restaurants, shopping and sites to see.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:05 pm
gmen1986 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 pm would love to see them start testing locations in the south, west and midwest more.cities that come to mind.. charlotte, louisville, SLC, minneapolis etc
The NCAA is so fixated on limiting travel that they affirmatively consider travel distance in setting the bracket. There's no way they're going to pick a location to which everyone has to fly. So sorry about that.

Navy is great, but Michie stadium would be great too (much better than Albany). Have they ever done a quarterfinal at West Point?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:05 pm
The NCAA is so fixated on limiting travel that they affirmatively consider travel distance in setting the bracket. There's no way they're going to pick a location to which everyone has to fly. So sorry about that.

Navy is great, but Michie stadium would be great too (much better than Albany). Have they ever done a quarterfinal at West Point?
Understood but I was also responding to the suggestions of Charlotte (not great airport operationally), LVille and TX. If you would go non traditional then you’d have to have it basically be Chi or Atl to start unless you going bi coastal to SF/LA.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”