Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by 1766 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:21 pm I don’t disagree but there were so many on the list last year that seemed to have never found a home. Maybe the lesson was learned and now kids are playing it close to the vest.
Would agree with that.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:38 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:55 pm
BrownDad wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:25 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:16 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:07 am
Exlaxbro wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:42 am I feel like the list was a lot longer last year at this time. Maybe I am wrong but it is a good thing if the transfers slow down a bit.
Would be expected but also I think more are figuring out still what they want based on where they may have been accepted. Doesn’t strictly follow traditional enrollment timelines for many/all colleges on these circumstances. More kids who lost part of their FR year rather than mid college career so different choice.
That makes sense. I went back through the forum from last year and there were a ton more on that list. Many never found a landing spot so I am happy this group is thinking through it a bit more.
My guess would be that a lot of kids were embarrassed seeing their name on that list without a New School. It would make sense that they learned from the onslaught of names on the list last year and are going through the process in a more private way.
Another interesting take. I didn’t realize players could keep it a secret but I guess this list on here is generated by word of mouth and not from an official site.
Kids can and often do work through intermediaries. Once they enter the portal, it's almost a certainty as to where they will land. Early Ivy announcers wouldn't fall under that category along with some others. It behooves a player to keep it as close to the vest as possible.
If I'm not mistaken, there can be no contact with the new school's athletic staff until they are in the portal. Direct or indirect. At least for undergraduates.

If so, that would suggest that those, doing as you describe (if undergrads) are putting their eligibility at risk...and potential sanctions of the school participating in such contact.

What happens if a student-athlete had impermissible communications, directly or indirectly, with coaching staff or boosters at the Division I school to which they transfer?

A7: Existing recruiting rules prohibit communication and contact with a student-athlete enrolled at another NCAA school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the NCAA Transfer Portal. These rules also prohibit the indirect use of third parties contacting individuals on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or no scholastic coach, advisor). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process. A student-athlete’s eligibility can be jeopardized at the school that engaged in impermissible communication.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cen ... ansfer.pdf
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:37 am
wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:16 am
10stone5 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:59 am Looks like he may also have gotten a look from some Ivy schools for football,

Trevor Yeboah-Kodie

Junior running back at Garden City High School (N.Y.). Has two offers from Dartmouth and Princeton
Trevor was the NYS POY in Football and received interest from many big time schools to play Football. Not just the Ivies. His folks let the recruiters know EMPHATICALLY that football was NOT IN Trev's college plans.

I watched him play in H.S. I'd be interested to watch him play at the next level.
The next level meaning college or just throwing caution to the wind and trying to get camp invites? And does this square with the assertion or information fed here that he’s going to play football at Rutgers?
Mea Culpa.Poorly worded.A year readjusting to FB.Then perhaps the NFL.
Makes sense and suspected that’s what you meant. Unless he’s Eric Swann.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Exlaxbro wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:21 pm I don’t disagree but there were so many on the list last year that seemed to have never found a home. Maybe the lesson was learned and now kids are playing it close to the vest.
Obviously with so many in the portal who didn’t go anywhere it’s not almost a certainty they know where they’re landing when they enter it. Last year alone is evidence of this.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:27 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:42 am I feel like the list was a lot longer last year at this time. Maybe I am wrong but it is a good thing if the transfers slow down a bit.
Would be expected but also I think more are figuring out still what they want based on where they may have been accepted. Doesn’t strictly follow traditional enrollment timelines for many/all colleges on these circumstances. More kids who lost part of their FR year rather than mid college career so different choice.
That makes sense. I went back through the forum from last year and there were a ton more on that list. Many never found a landing spot so I am happy this group is thinking through it a bit more.
My guess would be that a lot of kids were embarrassed seeing their name on that list without a New School. It would make sense that they learned from the onslaught of names on the list last year and are going through the process in a more private way.
Another interesting take. I didn’t realize players could keep it a secret but I guess this list on here is generated by word of mouth and not from an official site.
Kids can and often do work through intermediaries. Once they enter the portal, it's almost a certainty as to where they will land. Early Ivy announcers wouldn't fall under that category along with some others. It behooves a player to keep it as close to the vest as possible.
If I'm not mistaken, there can be no contact with the new school's athletic staff until they are in the portal. Direct or indirect. At least for undergraduates.

If so, that would suggest that those, doing as you describe (if undergrads) are putting their eligibility at risk...and potential sanctions of the school participating in such contact.

What happens if a student-athlete had impermissible communications, directly or indirectly, with coaching staff or boosters at the Division I school to which they transfer?

A7: Existing recruiting rules prohibit communication and contact with a student-athlete enrolled at another NCAA school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the NCAA Transfer Portal. These rules also prohibit the indirect use of third parties contacting individuals on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or no scholastic coach, advisor). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process. A student-athlete’s eligibility can be jeopardized at the school that engaged in impermissible communication.

The NCAA has no teeth. Players understand this and have little fear. It's happening all over the place at a number of schools.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Newly Added to the Portal

Justin Tiernan- Lehigh- Attack - Grad Transfer
John Sidorski- Lehigh - Midfield - Grad Transfer
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:39 pm

The NCAA has no teeth. Players understand this and have little fear. It's happening all over the place at a number of schools.
Really? No teeth? My son got caught up in a misunderstanding back in 2016 that prevented him from practicing for over a month (fortunately partly during Xmas break) because of purported non-compliance with an NCAA regulation against his identifying himself as a lax player at his school in making an introduction to other coaches at the school... with no compensation involved...he was found totally blameless and in compliance, but even a question had real 'teeth' in repercussions. NIL now obviates that particular issue, but schools want very much to remain in compliance with the NCAA. They certainly don't want to violate for a non-revenue sport!

If it's as rampant as you suggest, I'd warn anyone doing so to hope like heck they're not the one who gets caught and made an example of...

It's one thing for someone to say 'Joey has an extra year of eligibility (a fact) and may want to use it somewhere closer to home or at a more competitive program...' and the response is, 'yeah, Joey would get a lot of interest', (that exchange itself would be a violation), but if someone then discusses with a coach what the 'deal' would be, say scholarship money, etc...you betcha that heads would roll over that.

And why risk it?
That's what the portal allows to happen without a problem.

Post by 1766 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Really? No teeth? My son got caught up in a misunderstanding back in 2016 that prevented him from practicing for over a month (fortunately partly during Xmas break) because of purported non-compliance with an NCAA regulation against his identifying himself as a lax player at his school in making an introduction to other coaches at the school... with no compensation involved...he was found totally blameless and in compliance, but even a question had real 'teeth' in repercussions. NIL now obviates that particular issue, but schools want very much to remain in compliance with the NCAA. They certainly don't want to violate for a non-revenue sport!

If it's as rampant as you suggest, I'd warn anyone doing so to hope like heck they're not the one who gets caught and made an example of...

It's one thing for someone to say 'Joey has an extra year of eligibility (a fact) and may want to use it somewhere closer to home or at a more competitive program...' and the response is, 'yeah, Joey would get a lot of interest', (that exchange itself would be a violation), but if someone then discusses with a coach what the 'deal' would be, say scholarship money, etc...you betcha that heads would roll over that.

And why risk it?

That was 9 years ago. A lot has changed.

Namely players are getting reached out to directly by aggressive alumni and powerbrokers of other schools. Some kids want to only go to a certain school and if that can't happen they don't want to be listed in the portal. It puts them in a precarious position if the school they want to go to doesn't accept them for whatever reason.

There are a myriad of reasons as to why a player might not want to portal. And there are ways for them not to have to portal until the last minute.

Until the NCAA comes down with a hammer on a school/player doing this, it's not going to change, and is likely to get a lot worse.

Why risk it? Why not, no one seems to be paying a price for it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Albany: Joey Pezzimenti (A)-> Le Moyne
Binghamton: Dylan Braddock (M), Matthew DeSouza (FO), Thomas Greenblatt (M), Max Napoli (M), Quinn O'Hara (M)
Boston U: Christian Quadrino (M)#
Brown: Matthew Gunty (FO), Griffin King (M), Devon McLane (A)
Bucknell: Daniel Striano (M), Hank Bethel (D) -> NJIT
Canisius: Colin Kelly (A), Kevin Carney (A)
Colgate: Connor Brook (M), Thomas Colucci (FO), Donny Gayhardt (D), Michael Lia (D)
Cornell: Chayse Ierlan (G)
Dartmouth: Peter Rizzotti (D) -> Rutgers
Delaware: Corbin Minard (FO)
Harvard: Chase Yager (M)
Holy Cross: Jayce Lambert (M), Cameron Magalotti (M), Thomas McIntire (A)
Jacksonville: Ezekiel Lomax (M), Luke Robinson (M), Steven Woolery (M)
Lafayette: Liam DiFonzo (M), JP Robinson (D), James Turco (FO), Ryan Duncan (A)
Lehigh: Caleb Creasor (G), Christian Mule (A), John Sidorski (M), Justin Tiernan (A)
Loyola: Joey Greco (G)
Marquette: Sean Richard (G), Michael Allieri (G)
Maryland: Brian Burlace (LSM), Jackson Marshall (G), Gavin Tygh (FO)
Mercer: Thomas Berry (A)->Le Moyne, Wesley Chairs (D) -> Georgetown
Michigan: Jake Bonomi (M)
Navy: Max Silva (LSM)
North Carolina: Matt Wright (LSM)
Notre Dame: Maximus Schalit (D)
Ohio State: Daniel Garone (M), Oran Gelinas (G)#, Richie LaCalandra (A)
Princeton: Sam English (M), Jake Stevens (M), Alex Slusher (A), Beau Pederson (SSDM), Alex Vardaro (M), Christian Ronda (A), Griffen Rakower (G), Weston Carpenter (M), Jacob Stoebner (D)
Providence: Justin Bordner (FO)
Rutgers: Erik Henig (M), Remington Reynolds (LSM/M)#, Matt Dollive (M)#, Luke Romanek (FO)#
Sacred Heart: Nick Labanca (G)
St. Joe's: Ryan Kemp (A)
Syracuse: Liam Ferris (M)#
UMass: Kevin Lynch (D)
Vermont: Nicholas Alviti (LSM), Tommy Burke (FO) -> Ohio State, Jackson Canfield (D), Stone Jacobs (A), Daniel Manning (D), Timothy Manning (D), Per-Anders Olter (A), Colin Sharkey (M)
Virginia: Daniel Parker (M), Mac Eldridge (FO)#
VMI: Tim Lindenbaum (D), Hartley Jordan (M) -> UNC
Wagner: Eli Fisher (M) -> Ohio State, Danny Brady (G), Brendan Higgins (LSM)
Yale: Lucas Osborne (M)#

D2/D3/Other

Bowdoin: Ethan Barnard (FO), Zack Goorno (M)
Christopher Newport: Cambell Pozin (M)
Conn. College: Jack Venturelli (D)
Gettysburg: Zach Puckhaber (D), George Raymond (A)
Hampden-Sydney: Nick Morgan (D) -> UNC
Lenoir-Rhyne: Torin Eccleston (M), Bryce Reece (M)
Pace: Anthony Caputo (M) -> Jacksonville
Salisbury: Zach Timmons (D)
Scranton: Chris Crapanzano (M) -> Albany
Southern Virginia: Carter Bean (M)
St. Lawrence: Joe Scarfi (D)
Tufts: Kyle Adelmann (D), Jack Boyden (A)
Washington and Lee: Harris Hubbard (D) -> Rutgers
Wesleyan: Nolan Collins (D), Matthew Gill (A)

Key
* in the portal for 2025 season
# undergraduate Transfer
BOLD = most recent update
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

And why risk it?
I think that a lot has to do with the school more so than the NCAA particularly when a "potential" rule violation is being investigated, school A might have an over abundance of caution and make the kid sit while another school may let the kid practice while investigation is going on.

As to the other point, anybody that thinks that contact is not being made prior to a kid entering the portal also believes that no college lacrosse player gambles college lacrosse including his own teams games. players talk to players and recruit them, I would imagine with someone on the coaching staffs knowledge, Ie: team A needs a SSDM and a kid on team A played travel with a ssdm on team B, kid on team A asks his DC if they might be interested in his friend, the DC says hell yes and now the player on A texts the player on team B and says "yo, what's up? ever think about coming here?" ..... not sure any violations have occurred but there is a pretty good chance that the deal is done before the kid puts his name in the portal.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Surprised that Barnard (FOGO) hasn't been picked up from Bowdoin...Kid is LEGIT
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm

And why risk it?

Namely players are getting reached out to directly by aggressive alumni and powerbrokers of other schools. Some kids want to only go to a certain school and if that can't happen they don't want to be listed in the portal. It puts them in a precarious position if the school they want to go to doesn't accept them for whatever reason.

There are a myriad of reasons as to why a player might not want to portal. And there are ways for them not to have to portal until the last minute.

Until the NCAA comes down with a hammer on a school/player doing this, it's not going to change, and is likely to get a lot worse.

well, 2023-2016 = 7 years, but hey, precision wasn't your point. ;)

My point is less about the specific sort of infraction, but rather how schools treat potential compliance violations. And I very much doubt that has changed in 7 or 9 years. I also don't think his school's compliance officers (Ivy) were way more careful than what would have happened at say a Big 10 or ACC school. At least in non-revenue sports. Maybe someone will argue that Ivies care more about following rules than do other leagues, but that's not going to be my assumption.

sure, some big money programs have always skirted the various rules, sometimes quite consciously and conspiratorially...and when found out, big scandals.

But doing so with non-revenue sports is really foolhardy.

The example you give of having only one potential destination school desired, and if that doesn't happen they'll stick with their current school, would be an obvious and egregious abuse of the process and both the athlete and any destination school that participated in backdoor discussions would deserve whatever punishment meted out.

There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to leave your school. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to let people know you're at least open to considering moving...sure, your current team mates and coaches may look at you and wonder whether you're 'all in' with them, but the truth is, you're not. Until you decide to be...and if so, you can withdraw from the portal.

I take your word for it that there are athletes and schools currently playing this game, and if no one gets 'hammered' for it, "it'll get worse".

But If there's an athlete or parent out there reading this thread, don't be the one the hammer comes down on...it ain't worth it.

It's easy to avoid that happening.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

And why risk it?
I think exactly that is happening yet heads are still intact
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:27 pm

And why risk it?
I think that a lot has to do with the school more so than the NCAA particularly when a "potential" rule violation is being investigated, school A might have an over abundance of caution and make the kid sit while another school may let the kid practice while investigation is going on.

As to the other point, anybody that thinks that contact is not being made prior to a kid entering the portal also believes that no college lacrosse player gambles college lacrosse including his own teams games. players talk to players and recruit them, I would imagine with someone on the coaching staffs knowledge, Ie: team A needs a SSDM and a kid on team A played travel with a ssdm on team B, kid on team A asks his DC if they might be interested in his friend, the DC says hell yes and now the player on A texts the player on team B and says "yo, what's up? ever think about coming here?" ..... not sure any violations have occurred but there is a pretty good chance that the deal is done before the kid puts his name in the portal.
I'd not be surprised by that scenario either, and sure, there's a technical violation with that phone tag...but "deal is done" would imply that the athlete knows he'll be accepted academically, knows he can obtain the release academically, knows what scholarship is or isn't offered, etc...which would involve a lot more than saying 'yeah, we'd love to have that player' casually to a player on one's own team.

Yes, schools may well have varying degrees of being uptight about potential violations...some may want to avoid absolutely, not give any excuse for a scandal, whereas others may have seen so many violations they're inured to the petty ones...possible.

But my point is that schools don't want to put their reputations at risk, programs don't want to be sanctioned, coaches don't want to lose their jobs...and players shouldn't be willing to risk their own eligibility.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:45 pm

And why risk it?
I think exactly that is happening yet heads are still intact
If so, it's a problem waiting to blow up in someone's face.

I just don't see the risk/reward.

Mebbe someone's a little stupid, or ignorant of the rules, and stumbles into this, but if you're actually serious about moving schools, go in the portal...the prospective coaches can then engage with you, knowing as well that they're not the only ones potentially making an offer...

Post by 1766 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:43 pm

And why risk it?

My point is less about the specific sort of infraction, but rather how schools treat potential compliance violations. And I very much doubt that has changed in 7 or 9 years. I also don't think his school's compliance officers (Ivy) were way more careful than what would have happened at say a Big 10 or ACC school. At least in non-revenue sports. Maybe someone will argue that Ivies care more about following rules than do other leagues, but that's not going to be my assumption.

sure, some big money programs have always skirted the various rules, sometimes quite consciously and conspiratorially...and when found out, big scandals.

The example you give of having only one potential destination school desired, and if that doesn't happen they'll stick with their current school, would be an obvious and egregious abuse of the process and both the athlete and any destination school that participated in backdoor discussions would deserve whatever punishment meted out.

There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to leave your school. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to let people know you're at least open to considering moving...sure, your current team mates and coaches may look at you and wonder whether you're 'all in' with them, but the truth is, you're not. Until you decide to be...and if so, you can withdraw from the portal.

I take your word for it that there are athletes and schools currently playing this game, and if no one gets 'hammered' for it, "it'll get worse".

But If there's an athlete or parent out there reading this thread, don't be the one the hammer comes down on...it ain't worth it.

The schools aren't necessarily involved until such time as they have to be. It's all done through back channeling.

Kid wants to go to a certainly school. Coach or someone connected to that school gets reached out to through various intermediaries- players, old high school coach, friend, whatever.

Coach does some due diligence such as grades to see if they can get into their school, which probably isn't likely to be an issue, perhaps a conversation gets set up, then voila. Go in the portal and we can officially make this happen.

There are kids not in the portal right now that have different schools they are going to.

The NCAA is a mess in it's current state. You'd have to be doing something really egregious to get in any real trouble at this point, and even then it's probably not very likely. You can literally pay players now across sports. The veneer of amateur sports is over, and with it, just about everything else that guided it prior.

This is a much broader discussion. What role does the NCAA play moving forward? I have no idea.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jersey shore lax wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:27 pm

And why risk it?

The key thing here is to ensure the kids on team A and team B are using cheap, disposable burner phones.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buyi ... rner-phone

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Athletic did a story last week about tampering in college football. It is rampant. Coaches will call other coaches to tell them to stop, but no one will go to the NCAA about it. The big fear, it seems, is that a coach won't know if his own house in order and gets a boomerang NCAA violation. There's probably also some "snitches/ditches" worry. Blow the whistle on someone and get black balled.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

1766 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:43 pm

And why risk it?

The schools aren't necessarily involved until such time as they have to be. It's all done through back channeling.

Kid wants to go to a certainly school. Coach or someone connected to that school gets reached out to through various intermediaries- players, old high school coach, friend, whatever.

Coach does some due diligence such as grades to see if they can get into their school, which probably isn't likely to be an issue, perhaps a conversation gets set up, then voila. Go in the portal and we can officially make this happen.

There are kids not in the portal right now that have different schools they are going to.

The NCAA is a mess in it's current state. You'd have to be doing something really egregious to get in any real trouble at this point, and even then it's probably not very likely. You can literally pay players now across sports. The veneer of amateur sports is over, and with it, just about everything else that guided it prior.

This is a much broader discussion. What role does the NCAA play moving forward? I have no idea.
I'm pretty down on the NCAA as well, but what you just described is coaches knowingly and willfully violating the rules. That's a swift way to get booted at many colleges. Perhaps not all.

I realize that we have our share of knuckleheads in the coaching ranks, but I'd like to think that most of these guys know the rules and would do no more than say to old buddy who mentions a kid, 'sure, we'd love to have a guy like that...if he goes in the portal I'll be happy to discuss it". But due diligence on grades??? Scholarship $ ???

Sure hope not...and a coach who does, should be toast.

And sure, school compliance officers generally don't know about a potential violation until someone flags it for them, it's not as if they're patrolling each kid's activities...so, for instance in my son's case it was his own coach who told him that he needed to go talk to compliance and tell them the situation, while also telling him that he didn't think it was an actual violation...but he'd need to be suspended from practice until they got back a clear thumbs up answer from the NCAA...the compliance officer just helped facilitate that reach out. NCAA took forever to respond (over a month) which was a pain in the tail...the point is it was his own coach and school that took the matter seriously, not wanting any possibility of an unreported violation to occur.

Maybe that's changed, but a willful violation of the rules by lots of coaches?
Sounds like a gamble...

Again, big money sports have some different dynamics.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm The Athletic did a story last week about tampering in college football. It is rampant. Coaches will call other coaches to tell them to stop, but no one will go to the NCAA about it. The big fear, it seems, is that a coach won't know if his own house in order and gets a boomerang NCAA violation. There's probably also some "snitches/ditches" worry. Blow the whistle on someone and get black balled.
Organized crime works the same way … or is that statement redundant?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”